Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
nahemot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:57 pm 

This will be the post for bands not listed (and will not be listed) in EM, but still sound very Gothic Metal for you :)

Please help me to complete my PlayList Database :)

For example: Scarlet Dorn, or firts LP of HIM.....etc

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:59 am 

Well, there is that Austrian gothic metal (?) band called Floodland that I find very appealing to my taste, nice and atmospheric band. The last time I checked they had two albums released, of which I own the first one. Definitely worth checking out ;)

https://www.spirit-of-rock.com/en/band/Floodland

nahemot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:24 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
Well, there is that Austrian gothic metal (?) band called Floodland that I find very appealing to my taste, nice and atmospheric band. The last time I checked they had two albums released, of which I own the first one. Definitely worth checking out ;)

https://www.spirit-of-rock.com/en/band/Floodland

Anything else?

WulfKing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:50 pm 

Lacrimosa, definitely.

They started as a Darkwave band, but once Anne joined, it morphed into a mix of gothic metal/rock, darkwave, and classical.

They have a big discography. All of it is good to great. Personally, I love all of the records from the late 90's all the way up through the mid 2010's/teens.

The 69 Eyes, also. They started as a hair-metal-worship band, but then basically heard Sisters of Mercy and Type-O Negative, and shifted the style accordingly. I highly recommend the albums Blessed Be and Paris Kills. You may already be familiar with them since you mentioned HIM, though. Same wheelhouse.

funeralravens
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:49 pm 

Can definitely recommend The Birthday Massacre. I wouldn't say there is much metal or gothic in their sound, more like synthpop with some gothic/industrial/hard rock elements, but they are really great. They do have some heavy guitars and even solos, so I think they fit. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of their music. Walking with Strangers is the best entry point to them.

WulfKing
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:11 pm 

Seconding The Birthday Massacre, and coincidentally Walking with Strangers WAS my gateway record.

Bloodflowerz is another band that may be worth looking into.

The OP mentions the first HIM record (big fan here), but don't forget the mighty Venus Doom!

Both the Deathrock and Post-Punk genres, while offshoots of punk, may also have some bands that you would like.

And maybe this also:

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:42 pm 

Black Velvet Butterfly's album Feed Darklings Feed. Maybe a candidate for being added to the Archives, I'm not sure.

zervyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:00 pm 

well, I won't start a debate about what is really gothic or not... and what is gothic metal. So being flexible I can say:

I second Lacrimosa, I can also mention the band MONO INC.

and well,, there was this band Negative from finland... similar to HIM

Ubra et Imago has some songs that could sound like metal.

Blueprint
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:38 am 

While fully aware of their silly Eurovision mishap, I do recommend Lord of the Lost. Not everything is great, but their "Empyrean" and "Thornstar" albums are top-notch gothic metal with industrial influences too. You can find them on all the big streaming services.

If you don't mind German lyrics, Unzucht's "Jenseits Der Welt" is a great album.

A more recent release is "Chasing Ghosts" by Stabbing Westward. Not really goth maybe, but it's certainly goth adjacent and has amazing songs.

Dullahan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:40 pm 

I second The 69 Eyes. It's a reliable band that can write hooks like it's the easiest thing, and they consistently hit the nail on the head of the gothy, sleazy vibe. Lord of the Lost are indeed not bad either; they have a firm grasp on catchy leitmotifs (You know, Germans; it's got to be in their water or something), even though they've been laying it on a bit thick with the glam influences as of lately.

Reply to topic