Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Willensmacht
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:22 am 

Looking for stuff like this that isn't just slow but also emotionally crushing:

- amazing vocals

- spine crushing heaviness and cavernous keys

- "Morphiaaa..." the descending note on the last syllable physically drags your body down

I know there are plenty of glacial-like doom stuff but what these three songs have in common is an underlying melody that just leaves you devastated and drained by song's end. This, as opposed to more dissonant and less interesting stuff like, say, Evoken.

Also, not looking for goth-influenced type stuff, e.g. My Dying Bride.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:13 pm 

I didn't give it a lot of thoughts, but spontaneously, I'd recommend any song by Longing For Dawn, and certainly the 23-minute song ending Stone Wings' sole full-length:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8sNCXnB3I0

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:19 am 

I'll assume you've already exhausted the rest of those bands releases so I won't mention any of them. Here are some songs that fit the bill for me personally from what you describe:

An absolute monster of a track. Vicious, crushing and monolithic. I wouldn't listen while feeling especially depressed (or maybe I would). Also check out their song Upon the War-torn Shape of Cold Earth for extra credit.

More mournful in the beginning than the last song, but just as soul-draining. Life is starting to seem very overrated.

Use to be my go to while walking to work, and I always ended up having a terrible day after. I wonder why. In all seriousness, I find them to masterfully capture that soul-demolishing essence of the bands mentioned already. I'm starting to doubt my existence at this point.

When I think of emotionally exhausting doom this is usually what I immediately think of. This song never fails to reduce me to a shriveled up husk of a human being.

I'm not sure if any of this works for you, so I'll stop there. Hopefully at least one of these songs work for you.

Reply to topic