Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:14 am 

Hello!

I know there are some Celtic Pagan/Black Metal Bands from France. I'm from Austria, which was in ancient times called Noricum, a Celtic kingdom which was later a province of the imperium Romanum. (No bad blood between my roman brothers!)

I was wondering if there are any Celtic (Black) Metal Bands from my country...or at least some who use the history here as a topic. Would be cool... i'm kinda bored already by the French (Gauls) Celtic Bands by now. Need new stuff.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:33 am 

Celtic Frost xD sorry for that :D

Check out Regnum Noricum (Black/Death Metal). They are singing about the celtic resistance against the roman empire (which didn't end well, judging from your post :D )

https://regnumnoricum.bandcamp.com/releases

But that's pretty much the only one I know of and the only one that a quick search on the archives gave me.

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:54 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:

the celtic resistance against the roman empire (which didn't end well, judging from your post :D )

Well Noricum didn't fight the Romans. The Roman Empire imported very important Iron from here, which was considered very high in quality and helped the Imperium to withstand in battles. That is why Noricum was the only kingdom which was not forced into the roman imperium. But after some time they were romanized just because that is the way it works. Language takes over, culture etc. But they never fought the Noricum Celts like the Celtc in France. One might say they had it better that way because of their craftsmanship to make profit that way (and live in piece, practicing their own Religion)

Just a fun history trivia.

Thanks for the link i will check them out!

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:12 pm 

Damballah wrote:
Well Noricum didn't fight the Romans. The Roman Empire imported very important Iron from here, which was considered very high in quality and helped the Imperium to withstand in battles. That is why Noricum was the only kingdom which was not forced into the roman imperium. But after some time they were romanized just because that is the way it works. Language takes over, culture etc. But they never fought the Noricum Celts like the Celtc in France. One might say they had it better that way because of their craftsmanship to make profit that way (and live in piece, practicing their own Religion)

Well, their facebook states "Their songs tell about a celtic clan, fighting against the roman invasion!"

Could be any clan though and since I know exactly nothing about the Norican history, I just went with it. Thanks for the infos though, I appreciate it. ;-)

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:18 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
Damballah wrote:

Well, their facebook states "Their songs tell about a celtic clan, fighting against the roman invasion!"

Could be any clan though and since I know exactly nothing about the Norican history, I just went with it. Thanks for the infos though, I appreciate it. ;-)

Well you know how the Pagan Bands are...always searching for the heroism. They can't write lyrics about trading stuff i guess.. :D
But history is not always as Bands want it to be...same with Nordic Pagan bands..it's always about fighting Christians when in fact, most of the time Vikings became christians by free will because it was important to have a saying in the geo-political landscape they lived in.
But of course it wouldn't fit well as an identification for younger people. they want to see themself as their own kind which stands tall against the waves and be heroes blabla.

PaganiusI
Zee Bombelecher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:48 pm 

Damballah wrote:
Well you know how the Pagan Bands are...always searching for the heroism. They can't write lyrics about trading stuff i guess.. :D
But history is not always as Bands want it to be...same with Nordic Pagan bands..it's always about fighting Christians when in fact, most of the time Vikings became christians by free will because it was important to have a saying in the geo-political landscape they lived in.
But of course it wouldn't fit well as an identification for younger people. they want to see themself as their own kind which stands tall against the waves and be heroes blabla.

We took our swords and marched to Rome! We fought hard and in the end - we traded 2 silver grails and a goat for some leather and mead.

I can also recommend you Vesperia even though they are from Canada. They sing more about the spirituality and such in a heroic/epic way.

Damballah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:54 pm 

PaganiusI wrote:
Damballah wrote:

We took our swords and marched to Rome! We fought hard and in the end - we traded 2 silver grails and a goat for some leather and mead.

I can also recommend you Vesperia even though they are from Canada. They sing more about the spirituality and such in a heroic/epic way.

Would looove to see lyrics like that :D :D
Thanks i will check them out as well :)

Reply to topic