Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xenon8247
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:00 pm 

I'm looking for bands that combine brutal death metal with progressive metal.
Examples: Defeated Sanity, Cephalectomy, Wormed, Broken Hope (Loathing album), Afterbirth, Logic of Denial

Edit: Some really awesome mfs have introduced me to the following which are exactly what I'm looking for: 7 H. Target, Dripping, Corpulate, Disavowed

Last edited by xenon8247 on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:03 pm 

Some bands for your consideration...

7 H. Target
Dripping
Corpulate
Disavowed

xenon8247
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:49 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Some bands for your consideration...

7 H. Target
Dripping
Corpulate
Disavowed

Thanks man! I owe you one! These are fucking fantastic recs and exactly what I was looking for.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:44 pm 

Anytime!

Been listening to a ton of brutal death metal lately, and as a result discovered and re-discovered all sorts of weird, kickass stuff. Here's some more.

Embryonic Devourment - Fear of Reality Exceeds Fantasy
Andromorphus Rexalia - Cosmic Collision Into the Fifth Dimension
Alienation Mental - Ball Spouter
Beheaded - Ominous Bloodline
Kronos - Colossal Titan Strife.

Beheaded and Kronos might be a stretch, but I feel would fit due to the amount of rhythmic variation thats quite uncommon for the genre. Enjoy.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:39 pm 

A few more you might consider:

-Malignancy. Pretty well known, never really considered them progressive at all, but if you like Corpulate, it's a good bet you'll like them a lot, as Corpulate is basically known as a second-rate Malignancy. Also may enjoy Incarrion, another band in the same category.
-Cerebric Turmoil, Jacob from Defeated Sanity used to play for them and did some guess bass on their full length
-Castrensis. Danish band that manages to do a lot of similar stuff to DS, but a little less jazz-influenced.
-seconding Alienation Mental, Ball Spouter is a wicked album with a ton of weird little twists.
-Involuntary Convulsions
-Human Mincer I wouldn't really consider "progressive" but they do share a bunch of members with Wormed, so it's a pretty sure bet you'll dig them as well.
-Lykathea Aflame is the ULTIMATE in combining progressive and brutal death metal while keeping the identities of both. Elvenefris is basically a perfect album.
-Jenovavirus is a necessity if you like Dripping at all.
-Terminally Your Aborted Ghost mixes spazzy mathcore with brutal death and it could be considered progressive in some circles, I guess.
-Yattering is weird as fuck but brutal, definitely recommended
-Commit Suicide might fit, though certainly not as "brutal" as the others
-Byonoisegenerator. Ultra spastic jazz deathgrind.

Outside of that, the field of TRULY progressive BDM is pretty sparse. However, with what you've said you enjoy (like 7 H. Target, Corpulate, Logic of Denial), I feel like a lot of "technical" BDM is going to be right up your alley as well. Bands like:

Inherit Disease
Posthumous Blasphemer
Internal Suffering
Odious Mortem
Deeds of Flesh
Cryogenicide
Back Door to Asylum
Septycal Gorge
Iniquitous Deeds
Twitch of the Death Nerve
Unbirth
Spawn of Possession
Desecravity
Unfathomable Ruination
Serocs
Insidious Decrepancy
Decrepit Birth

One band you mentioned that stood out was Disavowed, who isn't remotely progressive by any stretch of the word, but since you mentioned them, here's a few bands that you'll likely enjoy. Most of these bands have a couple common denominators, in that a lot of them were signed to Unique Leader during their glory days, which was the early 2000s. Also, being that Disavowed is a Dutch band, and a FUCKTON of sick Dutch bands liked a very similar sound, I've taken the liberty of marking all of their countrymen, just to help narrow the search even further.

*Pyaemia
Inveracity
*Massmurder
*Arsebreed
Unmerciful
Human Excoriation
*Brutus
*Bloodboil
*Cardinal
Gorged Bile
Abnormal Inhumane
Infuriate
*Severe Torture
Mutilated
Gorgasm
*Caedere
Despondency
Vulnus
Suffocate Bastard
Mortal Decay
Severed Savior (actually, their later stuff is fairly progressive, check out Brutality is Law and Servile Insurrection for more on that)
Beheaded

This is only BARELY scratching the surface, it's absurdly difficult for me not to list of 3000 bands you'll inevitably find anyway, whether through cruising YouTube or whatever, but I tried to stay as on-topic as possible. If you find some in the list you like or dislike, let me know and I'll try to point you in a more focused direction, this is a fairly wide scope in sound as far as recommendations go.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:50 am 

Impureza https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Impureza/65960 is a band with brutal death metal, flamengo and prog death

xenon8247
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:47 pm 

blarg223 wrote:
This is only BARELY scratching the surface, it's absurdly difficult for me not to list of 3000 bands you'll inevitably find anyway, whether through cruising YouTube or whatever, but I tried to stay as on-topic as possible. If you find some in the list you like or dislike, let me know and I'll try to point you in a more focused direction, this is a fairly wide scope in sound as far as recommendations go.

You're my fucking hero.

lebigboicaleb
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:55 pm 

Afterbirth's only album: The time traveller's dilemma

dontrushurshot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:41 pm 

There's obviously been some really comprehensive lists made in this thread so far, but here are a few others you might appreciate:

Sleep Terror
Chthe'ilist
Terrestrial
Blotted Science

Reply to topic