Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:44 am 

I've noticed when I listen to my library on shuffle, whenever Skyclad comes up it is consistently good. Tight musicianship, razor sharp lyrical composition. They are however not a band I'm really familiar with.

But where to start album wise? They definitely have been a prolific band. I'm thinking Prince of the Poverty Line.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:49 am 

Prince.. is often considered their best for good reasons, it's the best start :)

Then you may be interested in the first album, wich is rawer and more riffy. If you liked those two you will surely like A Burnt Offering.. and Jonah's Ark, wich are close in quality

After those every album i've heard from them was a disappointment, personally i would stick with the mighty first four

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:03 pm 

OK, thanks mate. It's kind of like when I got into Blind Guardian... very late. But I feel like I've been missing out on something. I'll go Prince... and the previous albums. Then work my way out if I feel i need more.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:31 am 

I'm not a huge fan of theirs, but I usually go for the first two or Folkemon. I'm missing some of the middle albums and the post-Martin stuff, but those three are cool. The thrashy, more serious tone of the first two is nice.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:33 am 

First four and Irrational Anthems are mandatory. First two are the most metal and my favorite is the second: A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol. Prince of the Poverty Line and that one are regularly cited as their best.

Irrational Anthems is the album with the perfect balance between folk and metal, they kinda went more to the folk side on the next albums and while they are great in their own right and with excellent lyrics as usual, metalheads at the time were kinda fed up. Vintage Whine however was a return to form and highly recommended and while Folkemon doesn't usually get a lot of love, I consider it a fine album as well.

In general you will not find a bad Skyclad album, I would only warn against the folkier releases and perhaps Silent Whales of Lunar Sea with the rather weak production. All of those have their fans though, so again, no bad albums. But their most famous songs are in the first four and IA.

Their new Martin-less albums are decent but they are just not the same.

Skyclad is one of the best bands of the 90s btw.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Reply to topic