Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jhigs1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:12 pm 

Hello
I am 13 years old and need some new music, I like everything from classic rock to black metal bellow are some of my favorite bands by genre, but my favorites of all time are: 1)Pearl Jam 2)Led Zeppelin 3)AC/DC 4)Creedence Clearwater revival 5)Def Leppard I started out the genres by rock and on the bottom is metal

My favorites by genre

Grunge/90's Alternative: Pearl Jam(I saw them in concert),Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, The Smashing Pumpkins, Bush (I saw them too) Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots

Classic Rock: Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, U2, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Queen, The Police, Rush, The Who, ZZ Top

Jam Bands: Phish, Grateful Dead

Hard Rock: AC/DC, Def Leppard(I have seen them as well), Guns N Roses, Aerosmith, Motley Crue, Kiss, Van Halen, Scorpions, Thin Lizzy Skid Row

Folk: Bob Dylan, The Handsome Family, Leonard Cohen

Punk: Ramones, Sex Pistols,Green Day, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Blink-182, Misfits, Minor Threat

Metal: Black Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, Dio, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest

Nu Metal- System of a Down, Slipknot, Korn, Disturbed, Papa Roach

Thrash Metal: Metallica Megadeth Slayer Anthrax Exodus Overkill Municipal Waste

Death Metal: Death, Cannibal Corpse, Bolt Thrower, Vader

Deathcore: Rings of Saturn

Black Metal: Satyricon,Darkthrone, Immortal, Mayhem, Cradle of Filth, Dark Funeral, Bathory, Venom, Behemoth, Agalloch, Wolves in the Throne Room.

Other: Johnny Cash, Duran Duran and The Cure

As you see my taste is very varied so I hope you can help me with some suggestions! Also I posted this yesterday but I accidentally made it locked so, sorry for posting twice.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:42 pm 

A phenomenal rock/metal band I find myself listening to a ton is Sexit. They sing in Slovak (one album in Hungarian) which I know for some people, that (being not English) is a dealbreaker. I think it adds to their charm. :) Their first album is metal a la Maiden, etc. and then they moved towards being much more eclectic rock. Here's one from their first album:

This song is a pretty good representation of their overall sound, though like I said, they're quite eclectic.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/npNN_AzZFdE[/youtube]

Here's a great ballad of theirs:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/iVJM800evJ4[/youtube]

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:48 pm 

For 13, you're very impressive, both in your presentation and in the fact you've had a wide exposure to music, and that's a great thing because not being one-dimensional let's you enjoy a lot more music. You've hit on many of the best in the genres, but let me see if I can expand a few categories for you. I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot, but it's a start.

Classic Rock: Boston's first album; Kansas - Leftoverture, Point of Know Return ; Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune; Deep Purple - Machine Head; Robin Trower - Bridge of Sighs; Jimmie Hendrix - Smash Hits; Jethro Tull - Aqualung; Styx - The Grand Illusion; Fleetwood Mac (self-titled); Heart - Little Queen (best female vocals); Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - So Far (best harmonies ever)

Hard Rock: Queensryche - Empire (best male vocals); Tool - Lateralus; Accept - Balls to the Wall

80's bands that influenced or originated a lot of today's bands' style: Fates Warning - Awaken The Guardian, The Spectre Within; Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath; Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales; Kreator - Pleasure To Kill

Metal: Metal Church (first album)

Doom Metal: Trouble - Psalm 9, The Skull; Candlemass - Nightfall, Epicus, Doomicus, Matallicus

Thrash Metal: Warfect - Exoneration Denied; Sepultura - Arise; Testament - The Legacy; Sodom - Agent Orange; Onslaught - The Force; Coroner - Mental Vortex; Realm - Endless War; Forbidden - Forbidden Evil; Vendetta - Brain Damage; Paradox - Heresy; Sabbat - Dreamweaver

Groove Metal: Machine Head - Burn My Eyes, The Blackening; Exhorder - Slaughter In The Vatican, The Law; Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power; Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake

Speed Metal: Agent Steel - Unstoppable Force; Destruction - Eternal Devastation

Power Metal: Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction; Savatage - Sirens

Death Metal: (too much to list) Aeon - Aeons Black; Kataklysm - In The Arms of Devastation, Serenity In Fire; Blood Red Throne - Souls of Damnation; Grave - Endless Procession of Souls; Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme; Sinister - Crossing The Styx; Six Feet Under - Unborn ...

Deathcore: The Dialectic

There are a ton of bands that fall into combined or categorized genres (melodic death, death/thrash, death/doom, progressive death, technical death, technical thrash, instrumental progressive, and on and on. Here's a small sample.

Death/Thrash: Protector - A Shedding of Skin

Technical Death: Man Must Die - Peace Was Never An Option

Progressive Death: Edge of Sanity - Crimson

Melodic Death: Bloodshot Dawn (self-titled)

Instrumental Progressive Death: Sleep Terror - Unihemispheria

Instrumental Progressive Metal: Blotted Science - The Machinations of Dementia

Melodic Death/Doom: The Morningside - The Wind, the Trees and the Shadows of the Past

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:00 pm 

Since you like blues/rock/Southern rock you should check out sludge or sludge/doom metal.

Try Sofa King Killer (just say it out loud). I think you will like them!

Here's some King Travolta, a little more extreme:

High on Fire:

And of course Electric Wizard:

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:52 am 

this guy again?

dude, they locked you last thread IDENTICAL to this. get a clue

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:01 pm 

If you're literally looking for every type of music ever, just try reading existing recommendation threads, or picking up a copy of Rolling Stone for all that rock.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.