Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Void_Eater
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:59 am 

More of a curiosity than anything, but the title basically says it. I'm looking for powerviolence with Bm influences, of Bm with powerviolence influences. I don't care how the influences are used, as long as its not just "We use keyboards, therefor we have black metal influence!"

iamntbatman wrote:
Oblarg wrote:
Fuckin' irony; how does that work?

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:52 am 

Only band that springs to mind is Teen Cthulhu specifically the Ride the Blade album.

Its kind of tongue in cheek (but not parody) semi-symphonic black metal, the guitar playing is kind of a mix of black metal and hardcore and the vocals are bellowed in a crossed out/spazz style.

Another band that i have been meaning to check out along these lines but aint got around to is Infernal Stronghold, apparently a punk/thrash/black mashup.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:29 am 

Martyrdöd, maybe? They're not exactly powerviolence, but if they fit your request, then the whole blackened crust thing (which is what you meant, I think) might be of interest to you.

Eudaemonium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:33 pm 

I am actually surprised that no one here could recommend a powerviolence band with blackened vocals, even if the band themselves weren't directly influenced by one. Certainly there must be at least one, and I know we have have powerviolence listeners on the archives, so nobody knows anything?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:14 pm 

It's an obscure fusion, what's to be surprised about?

Eudaemonium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:46 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
It's an obscure fusion, what's to be surprised about?

Well, I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be a fusion, I am talking about of the thousands, if not more, powerviolence bands, that there aren't a handful whose vocals happen to resemble something similar to any of black metal's varieties of vocals?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:48 pm 

Seems like you'd be better served asking a powerviolence forum where the members are more apt to have scoured thousands of powerviolence bands to find the one with the particular idiosycracy you have in mind. There may be some PV fans around here, but hardly enough of a base of hardcore fanatics to reasonably expect them to have panned the depths of the genre.

EnemyOfTheSun420
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:39 pm 

Well a fundamental tenent of Powerviolence is an avoidance of much metal influence...Blackened Crust Punk is out there, i you want some of that I can suggest some, but for Powerviolence, well, there might be some band who fuses it with BM (I would love for that to exist, that sounds like a great combo)...but it's a long shot.

Last edited by EnemyOfTheSun420 on Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:46 pm 

I don't know anything in this particular realm you are looking for but two bands that might be of interest is Dr Doom which is a grind band with a couple of clear black metal riffings. and Order of the Vulture which is that blackened crust that was meantioned.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:53 am 

Blackened crust is common as dust these days.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:39 am 

In my experience BM influence in powerviolence could probably only be found in the vocals where bands utilize a high pitched scream, but this is usually only a counterpoint to the shouted vocals more associated of Powerviolence. To be honest in those examples i wouldnt say that is because of a specific BM influence either.

I guess Crom may fit at times but its more speed metal influence than BM and i think Crom get lumped in with Powerviolence more by association than for their actual music.

DemonX99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:50 pm 

The closest band I can think of is Killgasm. Awesome black metal with grind influences. Or vice versa.

http://www.myspace.com/killgasm

BlackenedThrasher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:27 pm 

You should try Bone Awl, they are some extremely low-fi black/punk band, somewhat powerviolence..

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:11 am 

Bone Awl aren't powerviolence at all. That's like saying "Kill Em All" is technical death metal.

CrueltyJuggernaut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:43 pm 

Dave Witte played in a grind band called Hope Collapse, they clearly had some black metal influence. Not the same thing as powerviolence, but the closest I can think of.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:09 am 

Once again, that's like recomending Megadeth as the closest thing to Obituary. OP, I think you may be barking up the wrong tree asking around here.

el_boozehag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:35 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Bone Awl aren't powerviolence at all. That's like saying "Kill Em All" is technical death metal.

FUCKIN AYE!!!!

powerviolence was summed up by a website i read that called it hardcore played by metalheads, so blackened PV would be possible but i doubt it would work really well, perhaps if a band took impaled nazarenes debut album and added some fucked up time sigs and riff changes then it would be possible

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:56 am 

EnemyOfTheSun420 wrote:
Well a fundamental tenent of Powerviolence is an avoidance of much metal influence

Really? I don't know much about power violence. Could you support this statement? The slower parts of PV have always struck me as awful doomy.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:22 pm 

el_boozehag wrote:
powerviolence was summed up by a website i read that called it hardcore played by metalheads

I wouldn't trust that website because powerviolence has no discernable metal influence at all.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:01 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
el_boozehag wrote:
powerviolence was summed up by a website i read that called it hardcore played by metalheads

I wouldn't trust that website because powerviolence has no discernable metal influence at all.

Interstingly enough, Wikipedia used to (it's no longer there) call it the exact opposite: A form of music that was created by extreme punks who were displeased with the increasing death metal influence in grindcore, and who wanted to make "pure" grindcore with zero metal influence. I'd say Wikipedia (normally not exactly a great resource for accurate genre definitions) had it pretty much nailed here.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

el_boozehag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:24 pm 

droneriot wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:
el_boozehag wrote:

Interstingly enough, Wikipedia used to (it's no longer there) call it the exact opposite: A form of music that was created by extreme punks who were displeased with the increasing death metal influence in grindcore, and who wanted to make "pure" grindcore with zero metal influence. I'd say Wikipedia (normally not exactly a great resource for accurate genre definitions) had it pretty much nailed here.

see i dunno there, most people i know that play in PV bands are metalheads where i come from, so atleast in my area id say it rings true

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:08 pm 

Sounds like what has happened is that metalheads have become interested in it as a form of extreme music. Call it a split fanbase, because powerviolence was not invented for metalheads.

Also, metalheads liking something and even playing something doesn't transfer their "metalness" to it if it isn't metal. :-P

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:25 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Sounds like what has happened is that metalheads have become interested in it as a form of extreme music. Call it a split fanbase, because powerviolence was not invented for metalheads.

Also, metalheads liking something and even playing something doesn't transfer their "metalness" to it if it isn't metal. :-P

I agree with your last comment there, but i have read form interviews with some of the the dudes who played in classic pv bands were metal fans.

I think as you said doesnt necessarily mean it was intergrated into what they were doing, hell i like men without hats (fuckin safety dance yeah) but doesnt mean i would incorporate that into any of my own music, or maybe.

hnv1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:47 am 

blackend PV would be nearly unfindeble
as said PV is a form of hardcore punk combining grind, thrashcore, and sludgy section. with no metal riffs or influence as the founding bands wanted to avoid metal hints...as they said... fuck grindcore :D

CrueltyJuggernaut
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:11 pm 

I was listening to Infest the other day, and I found a song that is sort of what the OP is asking for. It could almost pass for punky black metal if the vocals were reverb drenched rasps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60ZvG9b57go.

Obviously Infest weren't inspired by bm at all, I just think that this song proves that these two styles aren't as disparate as they might seem. However like everyone else has said, unless you're looking for blackened crust, you're kind of out of luck.

lesions
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:58 am 

Hey OP look up the band angelcrust

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:14 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l06IG4SCHyQ

The Possessed to Skate Compilation has some Despise You Tracks that are very black metal-y sounding.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:47 am 

So much misinformation! hardcore =/=power violence. Bone Awl=/=power violence martyrdod=/=power violence

As for your request there's no true combo that I know of, but here are a few close ones.

Ill-Tolerance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... STBvDMFLh8

Half Gorilla
http://justsaynorecords.bandcamp.com/al ... la-kursk-7

Final Doctrine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5woys3y ... detailpage

Ramlord (more on the crusty side. I remeber hearing a track that really struck me as pv, but I can't find it =/)
http://ramlord.bandcamp.com/album/cripp ... red-wisdom

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:04 pm 

I'm sure the OP will be all over these recs after over three years.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.