Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Marlboro
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:13 am 

Holy shit. Forgot about Disma. Thanks, man. That record is so perversely crushing, it pains. I shall play some "Torture" and "Those Once Loyal" as well.

Psytopsy wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg0urHjCh2g

That was absolutely sick, man. Cheers.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:03 pm 

Cheeselord wrote:
I know Interment, Vomitory, and Hate Eternal. I'm not looking for brutal death, so no Abysmal Dawn or Aeon.

Don't know how I left out Demonical. Also, Abysmal Dawn isn't BDM. You might be thinking of Abysmal Torment, which is awesome BDM. ;)

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:09 am 

Sup. I've been listening to Obituary's first two albums a lot lately. You should all recommend me similar bands/albums. Thanks.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:33 am 

Check out Baphomet. They have a similar groove to Obituary though the vocals are gutturals.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:48 am 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
I am looking for highly atmospheric, cavernous Death Metal that is also experimental, challenging and unique. So not just typical Incantation/Immolation clones, but bands who have an influence in that sound but are striking out and doing something cool with it. I've been into Death Metal for... well a long fucking time, so I already know many of the artists working with this style. So I am looking to MA for assistance :D.

Here are some samples of the kind of bands I am talking about:
Impetuous Ritual: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ3q9O3HVcU
Muknal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7O3WSDJrNM
Grave Upheaval: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0UuM2_bTQY
Sonne Adam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8QVB9iwZ8

Ritual Necromancy
Vasaeleth

and not as caverny as the others but Nar Mattaru. prob more incantation worship but really good stuff, very unknown too

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:23 pm 

Gore__Grinder wrote:
I am looking for highly atmospheric, cavernous Death Metal that is also experimental, challenging and unique. So not just typical Incantation/Immolation clones, but bands who have an influence in that sound but are striking out and doing something cool with it. I've been into Death Metal for... well a long fucking time, so I already know many of the artists working with this style. So I am looking to MA for assistance :D.

Here are some samples of the kind of bands I am talking about:
Impetuous Ritual: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ3q9O3HVcU
Muknal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7O3WSDJrNM
Grave Upheaval: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0UuM2_bTQY
Sonne Adam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge8QVB9iwZ8

Mitochondrion

Mechanix11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:57 am 

thanks for the ones that recommend me some OSDM bands, im really into DM but that old school feel makes DM something different, and well im open for other recommendations

jewk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:02 am 

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Sepultura's 'Morbid Visions' and 'Bestial Devastation'.

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:40 pm 

Mechanix11 wrote:
thanks for the ones that recommend me some OSDM bands, im really into DM but that old school feel makes DM something different, and well im open for other recommendations

Wombbath, perhaps?

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:18 pm 

Mechanix11 wrote:

Evocation (this one: http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Evocation/19145 )

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:15 pm 

Mechanix11 wrote:
im open for other recommendations

I've been reconnecting with some of my death metal favorites the last few days so I figured I'd toss a few recommendations on the pile for Mechanix. Hopefully none of these have been brought up, if I'm echoing anyone, well, just know you must have really good taste!

Order from Chaos:

These guys get criminally slept on and I still have no idea why. Maybe people have a hard time with the loopy production on Stillbirth Machine? I'll admit the guitar tone is strange, not exactly super heavy but almost digitally fuzzed out sounding. Don't let that horrible description stop you though, these are some of the greatest riffs committed to wax in the name of death. The lyrics are also more interesting than your average death band, as Helmkamp has his own Nietzchean philosophies he likes to preach. I've only been able to lay my hands on the debut but I've heard they were a very consistent band.

Shub Niggurath:

Amazing death metal from south-of-the-border. You can't go wrong with Evilness and Darkness Prevails (its labelled as an EP but it feels like a full-length, especially with the two bonus songs on the CD) or The Kinglike Celebration. I don't know if you've ever heard The Chasm or not but this was Julio Viterbo's band before he linked up with Daniel to be the second axeman for The Chasm. They have a great cavernous sound with a lot of really thrashy riffs, clearly they were huge huge fans of Slayer and Morbid Angel. They put their own special stamp of darkness on every song though...there's not much fun to be had here. Plus they get bonus points for almost every song being themed around the Elder Gods.

Cianide:

We'll keep this one really simple. Do you like old Celtic Frost? Congratulations you also like Cianide. Most people say A Descent into Hell is their best but I still haven't got a copy. I love the fuck out of Death, Doom, and Destruction though. I'm pretty sure they've never changed or evolved and never will, so you can probably feel comfortable starting with any album.

Mortem:

These guys are high in the running for my favorite DM band of all time. I place an inordinant amount of value in a band being consistent, and these guys are certainly that. The first album sounds like it was heavily inspired by Altars of Madness, except they whip it into that dark South American frenzy that we've all been obsessing over since INRI. Guess what their most recent album sounds like? Same fucking thing. Just one of those bands I can't see ever losing the "flame". Start with any album you want, although most people tend to favor Demon Tales or The Devil Speaks in Tongues. Every album is jam-packed full of winding tremolo riffs, thrashy breaks, midpaced stomping sections...the only thing that changes is the production.

Slugathor:

These guys were, in my opinion, the rightful heirs to the throne of Bolt Thrower once they went on hiatus. Impossibly heavy, grooving riffs combined with frantic bursts of speed and often laced with exciting melodic interplay. I've only heard the first two albums, and I can't recommend Circle of Death enough. Every song is dying star heavy but Crypt of the Dead in particular is probably the best representation of everything they do well packed into one song. There's a midpaced breakdown with melodic counterpoints just the way Bolt Thrower used to do it, and it gives me goosebumps every fucking time.

Runemagick:

Those who know usually love them, but they still aren't very popular in the grand pantheon of death metal. They have a huge discography which I've only begun to scratch the surface of. I can safely recommend their first two albums and their last one. They incorporated more and more doom influence as they went along, to the point where Voyage to Desolation might as well just be a doom album (a damn good one). The earlier stuff strikes more of a balance between the two, favoring the death metal quite a bit, but still retaining a ritualistic atmosphere. You'll just have to dive in and judge this one for yourself, they seem to be pretty hit or miss with a lot of folks.

Master:

Master. Where Motorhead meets death metal. Very punked up, uncomplicated, anti-technical death metal. Hardly any blasting, mostly just d-beats and double bass. Really hard charging stuff that hits the spot when you're in the mood for death metal that is still very aggressive but not quite as morbid. They sound more urban than graveyard, if you will.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:37 pm 

For a heavier flavor, you might also try:

Skinless
Pyrexia

And back to the OSDM, similar:

Kronos
Vanhelgd

Psytopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:20 pm 

Seconding Pyrexia. and for a newer death metal band playing the OSDM style, Progeria is great. doomy songs coupled with a thick production make for a great demo, which is their only release so far. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49H1zzw7-Ps

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:24 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Slugathor:

These guys were, in my opinion, the rightful heirs to the throne of Bolt Thrower once they went on hiatus. Impossibly heavy, grooving riffs combined with frantic bursts of speed and often laced with exciting melodic interplay. I've only heard the first two albums, and I can't recommend Circle of Death enough. Every song is dying star heavy but Crypt of the Dead in particular is probably the best representation of everything they do well packed into one song. There's a midpaced breakdown with melodic counterpoints just the way Bolt Thrower used to do it, and it gives me goosebumps every fucking time.

You should really listen to their third and final album, it's also great and a step further down the path put on by Circle Of Death. You should also develop a liking for their post-breakup project, Desecresy, which coincidently is releasing a new album these days.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:48 pm 

AcidWorm wrote:
Check out Baphomet. They have a similar groove to Obituary though the vocals are gutturals.

better guttural than 'ehueheueuheuehu'
*apologies to John Tardy fans everywhere*

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:35 pm 

I like Criminal Element. What can you recommend me that's similar? Not a fan of Dying Fetus by the way...

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:03 pm 

androdion wrote:
Jonpo wrote:
Slugathor:

You should really listen to their third and final album, it's also great and a step further down the path put on by Circle Of Death.

Seconding this! Echoes from Beneath is a damn masterpiece and completely overshadows Circle of Death IMO.

Zakillah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:53 am 

Marlboro wrote:
Hey guys. I'm looking for brutally heavy and bass-driven death metal to check my new sound system in my car. Some death metal seems to suffer from a lack of bass, but luckily we've got some heavily bassy stuff like "Domination" as well. Any suggestions?

Coffins - Mortuary in Darkness (if you like some Death/Doom, that is) and
Undergang - Indhentet af Doden
are both super heavy, stellar albums with real loud bass.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:07 am 

Zakillah wrote:
Marlboro wrote:
Hey guys. I'm looking for brutally heavy and bass-driven death metal to check my new sound system in my car. Some death metal seems to suffer from a lack of bass, but luckily we've got some heavily bassy stuff like "Domination" as well. Any suggestions?

Coffins - Mortuary in Darkness (if you like some Death/Doom, that is) and
Undergang - Indhentet af Doden
are both super heavy, stellar albums with real loud bass.

I'll add Suffocation's Pierced From Within.

opti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:51 pm 

Looking for that classic NYDM production, but not necessarily brutal death metal. Essentially, I'm looking for the sounds like:

Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten
Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Cryptopsy - Blasphemy Made Flesh
Baphomet - The Dead Shall Inherit

That grinding bass, oversaturated low-end and drums from hell. Looking for any sort of death metal, preferably brutal, doomy/atmospheric, or straight up/OS. No melodeath or tech death please.

Thanks.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:58 pm 

opti wrote:
Looking for that classic NYDM production, but not necessarily brutal death metal. Essentially, I'm looking for the sounds like:

That grinding bass, oversaturated low-end and drums from hell. Looking for any sort of death metal, preferably brutal, doomy/atmospheric, or straight up/OS. No melodeath or tech death please.

Thanks.

Blaspherian maybe? Barring it's not too obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzz5ytD2aa8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_HN36N2 ... re=related
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

opti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:35 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
opti wrote:

Thanks.

Blaspherian maybe? Barring it's not too obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzz5ytD2aa8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_HN36N2 ... re=related

I just recently got back into metal, so nothing is out of bounds right now.

That's exactly what I'm looking for (and a good drum tone!), and it only helps that the tunes are damn good too. :beer:

MMM91
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:17 pm 

Hi all.
Do you know where can I listen first demo of Hour of Penance (Promo 2000)? At least even only a song

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:26 am 

If you dig Blaspherian, I'd have to think Decrepitaph is one to check out. Maybe also Ignivomous.

Others with a faster pace:

Insision
Severe Torture - my favorite is actually Sworn Vengeance (2009)
Vomitory

Slower and lower, like Incantation:

Disma
Antediluvian

Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:44 pm 

opti wrote:

Thanks.

Seconding Disma and throwing in Hooded Menace. Crushing doom/death with a slight bit of melody without being melodeath:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ke5zu3JLk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzEOj0yiCg8

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:44 pm 

opti wrote:

Thanks.

Well if you don't know them already, Dead Congregation's full length sounds very NYDMish, pretty much the perfect mix of Incantation and Immolation.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:58 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
Well if you don't know them already, Dead Congregation's full length sounds very NYDMish, pretty much the perfect mix of Incantation and Immolation.

Seconding Dead Congregation.

Also might try Mitochondrion if you like quality death metal that isn't your run of the mill stuff, plus special atmosphere.

And, if you like Disma and Incantation, then check out Sonne Adam, too.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:15 pm 

I'll throw in one last one in Father Befouled, who are another one of those modern Incantation-esque bands with the NYDM sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tDUSCybcdg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y05ve3b4 ... re=related
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:48 pm 

IX Leviathan wrote:
I'll throw in one last one in Father Befouled, who are another one of those modern Incantation-esque bands with the NYDM sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tDUSCybcdg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y05ve3b4 ... re=related

That's one I've not heard and plan to check it out. :)

opti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:17 pm 

Woah, just noticed all the new rec's. Thanks for the tip on Insision and Disma, knew the rest.

:beer:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:22 pm 

Misfit74 wrote:
Poisonfume wrote:

Seconding Dead Congregation.

Also might try Mitochondrion if you like quality death metal that isn't your run of the mill stuff, plus special atmosphere.

And, if you like Disma and Incantation, then check out Sonne Adam, too.

I'm adding Coffin Texts to this list, great band.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:33 am 

opti wrote:
Woah, just noticed all the new rec's. Thanks for the tip on Insision and Disma, knew the rest.

That's what we're here for, I guess. ;)

Glad you like Insision. I think they are fantastic. If you like them, surely you must try on Vengeful and Aeon. If you want to push the boundaries slightly toward more brutal forms of death metal a bit, one of my favorites is Deivos who are, IMHO, incorrectly listed as tech death on this site. They are more on the brutal side with high energy, aggression, and complexity as well as being tight as hell. Plus, the drummer is a savage - one of the best.

opti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:22 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
opti wrote:

That's what we're here for, I guess. ;)

Glad you like Insision. I think they are fantastic. If you like them, surely you must try on Vengeful and Aeon. If you want to push the boundaries slightly toward more brutal forms of death metal a bit, one of my favorites is Deivos who are, IMHO, incorrectly listed as tech death on this site. They are more on the brutal side with high energy, aggression, and complexity as well as being tight as hell. Plus, the drummer is a savage - one of the best.

Yeah brutal death is that one craving I can never get fixed, even with NSV and Effigy, so Insision was perfect. I'm about to order a ton of stuff from Sevared (Buy 3 Get 1 free is too good to pass on) and their "End of All" EP is like 8 bucks. *Add to cart*

Will check out Deivos, know the other two.

Acidchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:56 pm 

I want death metal bands that push both the speed and the 'twistedness' barrier. Off kilter, razor sharp, menacing, fast riffing.

A good example would be Desecravity.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2KCZfc6uV8

I'm not a big fan of Hate Eternal, or Origin. They're both examples of what to shy away from.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:37 pm 

Acidchrist wrote:
I want death metal bands that push both the speed and the 'twistedness' barrier. Off kilter, razor sharp, menacing, fast riffing.

I'm not a big fan of Hate Eternal, or Origin. They're both examples of what to shy away from.

You'll probably find a lot of matches in this thread: http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85549

Deivos, as I mentioned above, would fit. Plenty of others.

A few off the top: Visceral Throne's Omnipotent Asperity. Certainly, any of Katalepsy's material. Pathology - Awaken To The Suffering. Decaying Purity - The Existence of Infinite Agony.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:18 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
Acidchrist wrote:

You'll probably find a lot of matches in this thread: http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=85549

Deivos, as I mentioned above, would fit. Plenty of others.

A few off the top: Visceral Throne's Omnipotent Asperity. Certainly, any of Katalepsy's material. Pathology - Awaken To The Suffering. Decaying Purity - The Existence of Infinite Agony.

I second this one

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:04 am 

Acidchrist wrote:

Perhaps the new Amon and that Desecravity sounds like something off of Cannibal Corpse's new album

Sharkuu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:08 pm 

Is there any DM with post-rock or shoegaze influence?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:52 am 

Sharkuu wrote:

Not that I know of, but reading your post I think that Ulcerate's The Destroyers Of All might be an interesting thing for you to check out.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:29 am 

Sharkuu wrote:

It sort of turns into Doom once that comes in IMO.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172 ... 290  Next