Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:44 pm 

So lately, largely due to the crazy winter weather we've been getting, I've really been cranking the black metal. I've been especially digging that thick, "wall of sound" sort of super-fuzzy guitar tone. Stuff like Wodensthrone, Verdunkeln, Winterfylleth, Sombres Forets, Gris, Walknut, Darkspace, etc.

Basically, what I want is a band that uses that sort of fuzzy guitar tone but with a more riff-oriented, even thrashy approach. Production doesn't have to be immaculate but I'd prefer it not sound like it was recorded inside of a tin can.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Last edited by iamntbatman on Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:25 am 

Not quite sure if this is what you're looking for, but for a wall of sound, listen to Katharsis - VVorld VVithout End. Maximum Volume recommended ;) .
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

Fialkinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:19 am 

GrimSleaper wrote:
I really enjoyed Arckanum's 2009 release PPPPPPPPPP as well as Ragnarok: Diabolical Age.
I enjoy a black metal band with bass that I can feel as it helps me sense the emotion behind the music. Does anyone know of any other bands with sounds similar to these two?
Also Armagedda and Spiculum Iratus have elements that I enjoy.

Ondskapt - Djävulens Ande
Ohtar - fog imbued with the smell of death
Thorrs hammer - Troll

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:41 pm 

So, I'm looking for the most raw, bat-shit insane Black Metal out there. Think Mayhem's Deathcrush ep, or early LLN projects. Please keep the recs to more obscure bands and keep in mind that I want no DSBM bullshit, and no Ambient Black Metal.

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:14 am 

iAm wrote:
So, I'm looking for the most raw, bat-shit insane Black Metal out there. Think Mayhem's Deathcrush ep, or early LLN projects. Please keep the recs to more obscure bands and keep in mind that I want no DSBM bullshit, and no Ambient Black Metal.

All more pure Black Metal, if you'd like some recommendations on more Thrash, Death or War bands just ask I'll do my best :)
Cult Of Daath - Under The Cover Of The Triumphant Holocaust (Demo Coll) (2000-2001) (USA)
Hate Forest - Scythia (Nation001) (1999) (UKR)
Graveland - Carpathian Wolves (1994) (POL)
Graveland - In The Glare Of Burning Churches (1993) (POL)
Kristallnacht - Blooddrenched Memorial 1994 - 2002 (FRA)
Maleficarum - The Unholy Falldown Of Christianism (1996) (COL)
Mastema - Inhuman Satanik And Evil (Demo) (2000) (FRA)
Old Wainds - Zdes Nikogda Ne Skhodyat Snega (Demo) (1997) (RUS)
Tormentor - Anno Domini (1988) (HUN)
Veles - Triumph Of Pagan Beliefs (Demo) (1994) (POL)
Vargleide - When Only Ashes And Scorched Earth Are Left Behind (2000) (RUS)
Impurity - The Lamb's Fury (1993) (BRA)

Best of LLN, be sure to get it! : Vlad Tepes - March To The Black Holocaust (An Ode To Our Ruin) (1995) (FRA)

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:51 am 

I second the Graveland - In The Glare of Burning Churches demo. That is by far the most filthy black metal record ever, and oh so harsh and primitive!

Perhaps the first two Branikald demo's too.
Good transactions/trades/buys with: Pestbeule (2x), Leizla (2x), Velvet_Creation, Lauben, dcd666, Dolor666, Luror, schsid, kkrrizzzzz, sadlegend, DOM_fecifectum, hewhay, Phallelujah, MalignantThrone, Greyskys, obscure plasma.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:48 pm 

Crypt666 wrote:
iAm wrote:

All more pure Black Metal, if you'd like some recommendations on more Thrash, Death or War bands just ask I'll do my best :)

Best of LLN, be sure to get it! : Vlad Tepes - March To The Black
Holocaust (An Ode To Our Ruin) (1995) (FRA)

I know of all these. I will check the others out as soon as my lap top is here.

LokiGoddess
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:53 pm 

iAm wrote:

Dawnfall of Germany. That band is more raw and fucked up than even their band phto would suggest (well, at least the first album is that raw... the rest of their material I haven't heard).
Oh, so Mother Nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys. Nature started the fight for survival and now she wants to quit because she's losing? Well, I say "hard cheese"! - Monty Burns

Crypt666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:00 am 

iAm wrote:
Crypt666 wrote:
iAm wrote:

Best of LLN, be sure to get it! : Vlad Tepes - March To The Black
Holocaust (An Ode To Our Ruin) (1995) (FRA)

I know of all these. I will check the others out as soon as my lap top is here.

Old Wainds Demo's and Full length kick ass up to 2003, then they suck. Those other bands just the releases I mentioned.
Old Wainds also has a side project called Nav', I like them. Nav' releases "Iz Navi V Jav'" and "Halls of Death" are well worth checking out

They also have a Death Metal side project called Full Decay, it's pretty raw and the compilation album is great: Full Decay - 1997 - 2002 (RUS)

If you like Von I'd suggest looking into Apokalyptic Raids - Only Death Is Real (2001) (BRA) kind of similar in a completely original way, raw and kick ass :)

Carbone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:17 am 

Recently, I have been listening to Trist's "Hin" from Hin-Fort. A LOT. I'm absolutely blown away, it is amazing. Does anyone out there know anything like it?

I'm finding it hard to articulate my post beyond that. But I don't really want recs from people who haven't listened to it based on me trying to give a loose description anyway.. so I'm just going to leave it at that.

Thanks in advance :beer:

Fastwalker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:15 pm 

Hi all,

I've been trying to find anything similar to Vrolok - Within the Master's Chambers. Unfortunately, nothing else in Vrolok's repertoire is anything near as good as this song.

I'm a sucker for tremolo riffs, but they have to be simple like on this track, nothing fancy such as Dissection. What I particularly like about Vrolok is the dampened atmosphere and the fact that you can understand the vocals every now and then (though this is in no way required). The vocals are also very good here, they are over the top anguished yet still work, which is rare. Lo-fi is a big plus.

If you know anything similar to this song, or if anything pops to mind when hearing it, I'd love to hear it, because I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance.

Within the masters chambers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z-Q391vuRQ

Last edited by Fastwalker on Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Necropleasurist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:19 pm 

I've been looking for some Vrolok type bands myself. The only thing that I found which can compare is VON.
Sorry if that isn't much help. Your request is the same as mine.

john1111
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:40 am 

Wondering if I'm missing out any bands in the bestial/war black metal genre. So far I've got hold of stuff by Archgoat, Black Witchery, Demoncy, Blasphemy, Conqueror, Proclamation, Revenge, Beherit. Anything with thrash influences is ok too, like Anal Vomit etc.
Thanks

germandeather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:56 pm 

Anyone know Endstille (i don't read all the comments in here so i dont know if someone suggest them ) .

http://www.myspace.com/endstilleband

just listen

Fialkinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:45 am 

iAm wrote:

This is a pretty unknown (obscure) band.

Sorhin.
I recommend "I Det Glimrande Morkrets Djup".

It has an amazing refrain.

Ina_Dingir_Xul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:14 am 

chronolith wrote:
i'm looking for a recommendation for a black metal scene. I've been digging through a lot of US black metal lately because i like the evil, not overly-melodic melodies, but i'm trying to seek something new. i do enjoy melody when done right though (drudkh). any suggestions?

If you like melody, you would probably enjoy the older work of Dimmu Borgir (Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and earlier), Dissection's first 2 albums and Vinterland. Crimson Moonlight is pretty good too, although they are Christian.

Another good band I would recommend is Draconis Infernum from Singapore. Their vocal work is great, production is midrange, and they have subtle melodies in their music. Urgehal also comes to mind for the same reasons.

On the rawer side, Mutiilation, Burzum, early Bathory and Mayhem come to mind. You might also try Beherit and early Marduk.

Although you have most probably heard of most (or even all) of them, I recommend these bands to you because they are really good.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:16 am 

Am I the only person that really dosent like Abigor? Everyone seems to reccommend nachtymen and hail it's "genius" but it just bored me. Not that I didn't try to like it

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Fastwalker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:03 pm 

Bump to get rid of "No posts exist for this topic" bug.

Fastwalker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:04 pm 

Bump to get rid of "No posts exist for this topic" bug.

joe_c
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:44 pm 

I'm looking for black metal that has really rich vocals in the sense that they are not buried in the mix and aren't like Shagrath or Agalloch or anything. Not so much raspy as emotional.

Production wise (and I make a not to mention this because honestly I'm not a big fan of buried black metal production) I'm looking for really great production values, and yes as untrue as it sounds I'm looking for something like Dimmu Borgir, but production like Storm of the Lights Bane would sound fine too.

Music wise I'm looking for really dissonant and bleak passages contrasted by some really beautiful stuff. Also, a good sense of dynamics and even some technically would be welcome.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:12 pm 

chronolith wrote:
i'm looking for a recommendation for a black metal scene. I've been digging through a lot of US black metal lately because i like the evil, not overly-melodic melodies, but i'm trying to seek something new. i do enjoy melody when done right though (drudkh). any suggestions?

There are a lot of good BM scenes around their world. I would recommend 3 to you. The Czech, the Lithuanian and the Greek one.

The Czech BM scene existed from the early 90s and it has a lot of hidden gems. It has a lot of styles but Thrashy BM is its most characteristic product.

The Lithuanian scene is a much smaller but yet brilliant scene. It has quite a lot Pagan bands (Obtest, Poccolus, Ha Lela) but it also has some quite avan-garde bands that are bound to hold your interest if you're into experimental music (the almighty Anubi and the very interesting yet sadly now defunct project that goes by the name of Altoriu Seseliai). The last two are of course highly recommended.

The Greek scene now. I don't feel quite qualified to comment on the Greek scene because I'm a part of that scene so my comments would most likely be disregarded as subjective. What I can say though is that what is called Hellenic Black Metal (ie. the sound that Rotting Christ created back in 91 and was shaped and continued by Varathron, Necromantia and a lot of other bands and is still continue by a few bands) is my favourite BM sub-genre. The afore-mentioned Rotting Christ, Varathron, Necromantia along with Thou Art Lord, Zemial, Deviser, Disharmony, Darkest Oath, Jackal's Truth and a lot other bands of the 92-96 era are worth checking out. The sound is characterized by a warmer feeling and a lot of solos and melodic parts. Most of Hellenic BM bands are now defunct (with the exception of Rotting Christ of course) and the sub-genre is a lot less played these days.

Well, I hope I was able to help a bit. Cheers.

http://www.metalfighters.com/

darknecrotic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:05 pm 

Looking for some creepy sounding black metal bands that have a distant keyboard sound.. not that in your face symphonic stuff.

Lyrics surrounding death, darkness and satanism are wanted.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Sadness_for_Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:45 am 

darknecrotic wrote:
Looking for some creepy sounding black metal bands that have a distant keyboard sound.. not that in your face symphonic stuff.

Teratism sounds right up your alley. I'm a big fan of the album Invocatum Furae Diabolis. They have a great occult/dark sound with minimal and sparse keyboards. Also Black Funeral.

I've been on a melancholic black metal kick recently. Not interested in boring "depressive" bands though. I'm looking for stuff along the lines of Mortifera and Celestia with raspy vocals and upbeat drumming but melancholic riffs and romantic/"goth" imagery. I'd prefer something outside of the usual Neige subset of bands and definitely none of this gimmicky shoegazing black metal stuff. I enjoy that from time to time but it's not what I'm looking for.

The band doesn't have to be french but the aesthetic of a lot of french bands appeals to me so it would be a plus. Any recommendations?

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:11 am 

joe_c wrote:
I'm looking for black metal that has really rich vocals in the sense that they are not buried in the mix and aren't like Shagrath or Agalloch or anything. Not so much raspy as emotional.

Production wise (and I make a not to mention this because honestly I'm not a big fan of buried black metal production) I'm looking for really great production values, and yes as untrue as it sounds I'm looking for something like Dimmu Borgir, but production like Storm of the Lights Bane would sound fine too.

Music wise I'm looking for really dissonant and bleak passages contrasted by some really beautiful stuff. Also, a good sense of dynamics and even some technically would be welcome.

Give Naflgar (Sweden) a goe, Harvest particularly and Sheol are good. Awesome vocalist...and clean production.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:01 am 

darknecrotic wrote:

Xasthur perhaps... And also check out 'The Ruins of Beverast - Rain upon the Impure'. Sinister black metal...

SouthernPride
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:00 am 

Sadness_for_Life wrote:
I've been on a melancholic black metal kick recently. Not interested in boring "depressive" bands though. I'm looking for stuff along the lines of Mortifera and Celestia with raspy vocals and upbeat drumming but melancholic riffs and romantic/"goth" imagery. I'd prefer something outside of the usual Neige subset of bands and definitely none of this gimmicky shoegazing black metal stuff. I enjoy that from time to time but it's not what I'm looking for.

The band doesn't have to be french but the aesthetic of a lot of french bands appeals to me so it would be a plus. Any recommendations?

If you don't already know them, try DARVULIA from France. They have a sound (with original raspy vocals) which is, in my opinion, the perfect link between the Black Legions and the Mortifera/Celestia/Peste Noire stuff

Last edited by SouthernPride on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
SouthernPride
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:11 am 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Besides Thorns and Mysticum, what other bands would be necessary industrial black metal listening? While i like Thorns, i'm looking for a more raw production, like Streams of inferno, nothing super produced and clean sounding.

Maybe is not necessary listening but I bet you would have much fun listening to SATAN (Ita), don't know is their CD is still available. Anthemic black metal, sometimes like "In league with Satan" with hints on Industrial here and there. everything with underground production.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:21 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Am I the only person that really dosent like Abigor? Everyone seems to reccommend nachtymen and hail it's "genius" but it just bored me. Not that I didn't try to like it

no you're not. this band has been boring me for +10 years now, EXCEPT for their fractal possession album, which I really really like. their first albums though that get praised all the time never did it for me.

kings of boredom.

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:09 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

no you're not. this band has been boring me for +10 years now, EXCEPT for their fractal possession album, which I really really like. their first albums though that get praised all the time never did it for me.

kings of boredom.

There is nothing wrong with Abigor. But indeed, Fractal Possession is their best album. I recently got 'Satanized' but I'm undecided yet: like it or not like it. It's a very complex album.

Fastwalker
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:41 pm 

Necropleasurist wrote:
I've been looking for some Vrolok type bands myself. The only thing that I found which can compare is VON.
Sorry if that isn't much help. Your request is the same as mine.

Already know VON, not quite what I'm for. If you find anything let me know, I'll do the same.

darknecrotic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:08 pm 

Winterkald wrote:
darknecrotic wrote:

Xasthur perhaps... And also check out 'The Ruins of Beverast - Rain upon the Impure'. Sinister black metal...

I appreciate the recommendation, but I'm looking for something a bit more upbeat with a bit better production..

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:57 am 

Sadness_for_Life wrote:
darknecrotic wrote:

Teratism sounds right up your alley. I'm a big fan of the album Invocatum Furae Diabolis. They have a great occult/dark sound with minimal and sparse keyboards. Also Black Funeral.

Perhaps Lifelover, especially their latest EP...Though you probably know them...

Leviathan or Lurker of Chalice could be an option, though its not really upbeat.

Sadness_for_Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:59 am 

Acidgobblin wrote:
Sadness_for_Life wrote:
darknecrotic wrote:

Perhaps Lifelover, especially their latest EP...Though you probably know them...

Leviathan or Lurker of Chalice could be an option, though its not really upbeat.

I've only heard of Lifelover, not actually heard them. What album would you recommend? As for Leviathan, I'm already a fan but it's not quite what I'm looking for. Less of a dark atmosphere and more of a mystical, romantic feel.

ElectroButcher
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:09 am 

Sick and gruesome Black Metal. Truly feared Black Metal

Winterkald
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:51 pm 

ElectroButcher wrote:

As for sick BM: Sortsind - Vanvid. The most insane and sick vocals I have ever heard.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:35 pm 

Sadness_for_Life wrote:
Acidgobblin wrote:
Sadness_for_Life wrote:
darknecrotic wrote:

I've only heard of Lifelover, not actually heard them. What album would you recommend? As for Leviathan, I'm already a fan but it's not quite what I'm looking for. Less of a dark atmosphere and more of a mystical, romantic feel.

Lifelover- Dekadens http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=247573 and Konkurs http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=205732 though I really like all their stuff...

What about Diabolical Masquerade?

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:56 pm 

ElectroButcher wrote:

Teitanblood and Arkhon Infaustus. The former are a death/black metal hybrid, kinda bestial sounding, the latter are also deathy black, more black thouhg- good production (on Orthodoxyn) and evil lyrics.

black_blunt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:09 pm 

Sadness_for_Life wrote:
darknecrotic wrote:

Blutklinge is great and probably up your ally, Also maybe Mystic Forest, ColdWorld and Melencolia Estatica.

Woolie_Wool wrote:
butt-fucking

Macaroni_Maniac
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:20 am 

I'm looking for black metal with keyboards like in early Emperor, Blut Aus Nords Ultima Thulée and Satyricons Walk the Path of Sorrow.
It has to be something with a lot of work and thought put into it. I've heard a lot of black metal bands lately, but there's always that little extra lacking that doesn't make me come back to it. So, I know that this is vague, but I would like something that truly stands out.

Thanks in advance.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:05 pm 

Macaroni_Maniac wrote:
I'm looking for black metal with keyboards like in early Emperor, Blut Aus Nords Ultima Thulée and Satyricons Walk the Path of Sorrow.
It has to be something with a lot of work and thought put into it. I've heard a lot of black metal bands lately, but there's always that little extra lacking that doesn't make me come back to it. So, I know that this is vague, but I would like something that truly stands out.

Thanks in advance.

Ever heard Tartaros from Norway? The bands only member used to provide Emperor with session keyboards, so the debut might be appealing to you.

I'd also recommend Melancolia's debut, but they're not really like anything I've heard before, let alone the bands you mentioned. Keyboards are central. It's very pretty without being "cheesy" or anything.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 142  Next