Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
avrlabel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:52 am 

Funereal wrote:
For the person asking for similar bands to Necro Schizma, try GOATLORD.

Thanks,I know and listen them already.;)

InfernoNecrosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:03 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Recommendation: Since I seem to have a proverbial love affair with Shape Of Despair's "Angels Of Distress", I was wondering if there were other funeral doom bands that incorporate this same style. What I'm basically after is:

-growled vocals (preferably no clean, but I can tolerate a small amount)
-sparse female vocal lines
-VIOLINS! A big plus if violins are used
-a sad and depressing atmosphere
-Decent-good production

Or basically, any "Angels Of Distress" clone bands. :P

I already have Comatose Vigil, Remembrance, Ahab, Doom:Vs, and Depressed Mode.

Thank you all in advance! :)

Is it a coincidence I posted this earlier in this thread?
InfernoNecrosis wrote:
I'm looking for good funeral doom. It has interested me lately after MikeyC gave me a download of Shape of Despair's album Angels of Distress.

It really was that good. :P

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:10 pm 

Mikey did you delete that PM I sent you a while back or what? I listed a lot of bands similar to Shape of Despair, Depressed Mode, Funeral, etc. If you want, I could send you an update though :wink:

doomlover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:59 pm 

An obvious rec for violins would be Like Gods Of The Sun by My Dying Bride

Jarnroth
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:11 pm 

For the guy looking for death/doom in the locked thread:
Check out Darkified from Sweden, they only released about twenty minutes worth of material but it's damn awesome. It's tagged as black/death for some reason, but I don't know if I agree with that.

http://www.last.fm/user/Jarnroth/

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:39 pm 

InfernoNecrosis wrote:
Is it a coincidence I posted this earlier in this thread?
InfernoNecrosis wrote:
I'm looking for good funeral doom. It has interested me lately after MikeyC gave me a download of Shape of Despair's album Angels of Distress.

It really was that good. :P

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
Mikey did you delete that PM I sent you a while back or what? I listed a lot of bands similar to Shape of Despair, Depressed Mode, Funeral, etc. If you want, I could send you an update though ;)

Uh, if you don't mind. Sorry. :oh shit:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Excoriate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:22 pm 

This is death/doom recommendations for the dude who was looking for some.

Disembowelment
Winter
Mythic
Coffins
Anatomia
Contagion
Evoken
The Arm And Sword Of A Bastard God ( also has a strong sludge influence)
Goatlord
Doom Snake Cult
Cathedral-Forest Of Equilibrium
Cianide
Runemagick(mid and late era)

And all though not entirely death/doom ,Incantations first two albums are something that any fan of the death/doom genre could enjoy as there both heavy as fuck.

GoatSodomyGasMask
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:33 am 

I'm looking for funeral doom with insanely high pitched vocals in the vein of Wormphlegm or Senthil. Some people call it Torture Doom but I think it's retarded

Funereal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:36 am 

Misery's Omen
Funeralium

Belial
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:17 am 

Excoriate wrote:

That just sounds Traditional Doom to my ears (with somewhat harsh vocals).

GoatSodomyGasMask wrote:
I'm looking for funeral doom with insanely high pitched vocals in the vein of Wormphlegm or Senthil. Some people call it Torture Doom but I think it's retarded

Check this post, that should help you a bit.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:29 am 

Excoriate wrote:
Anatomia

Oh, come on, they're just another Autopsy-worship band.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:29 am 

I'm looking right now for Drone Doom, and Funeral Doom. Please none of that Melodic Death/Doom crap. It sucks.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:14 am 

Funereal wrote:
Misery's Omen

If you think Misery's Omen are funeral doom, I suggest you see a doctor... QUICKLY.

iAM: Check out Burial Chamber Trio, similar to Sunn O))) (it's actually one of Anderson's side projects) with Attila on vocals. Very, very dark atmosphere and nice heavy riffs.. Also try Bunkur's Bludgeon album. You may not like it, it's a very difficult listen due to the length and general style of it, but if you want some hard hitting drone, you can't go past it.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:54 am 

I'm looking for death/doom metal bands that don't play to slow and sound pretty exciting, instead of typical slow, annoying (imo) doom. I don't mind production and lyrics must be in english, thanks!

avrlabel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:01 am 

Excoriate wrote:

Disembowelment
Winter
Mythic
Coffins
Anatomia
Contagion
Evoken
The Arm And Sword Of A Bastard God ( also has a strong sludge influence)
Goatlord
Doom Snake Cult
Cianide
Runemagick(mid and late era)

And all though not entirely death/doom ,Incantations first two albums are something that any fan of the death/doom genre could enjoy as there both heavy as fuck.

Nice choice...

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:02 am 

colin040 wrote:
I'm looking for death/doom metal bands that don't play to slow and sound pretty exciting, instead of typical slow, annoying (imo) doom. I don't mind production and lyrics must be in english, thanks!

Its tricky to judge what another person might consider "to slow" especially for a death/doom band. Most of them keep it pretty slow. Have you listened to Cianide? They have some pretty crushing death/doom that isn't played at a snails pace.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:07 am 

Jonpo wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Its tricky to judge what another person might consider "to slow" especially for a death/doom band. Most of them keep it pretty slow. Have you listened to Cianide? They have some pretty crushing death/doom that isn't played at a snails pace.

Well, i've heard ''slow'' death/doom songs that realy sound exciting, besides it sounds slow, but i see your point though. Will check Cianide out, thanks!

Excoriate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:14 am 

Catachthonian wrote:
Excoriate wrote:
Anatomia

Oh, come on, they're just another Autopsy-worship band.

While they are Autopsy worship, they take the style in their own direction and it is pretty creative.Besides theirs nothing wrong with more material in that style as long as bands like Anatomia are doing a good job of it.

Edit: And Derketa is also a great death/doom band. don't know why i forgot them.

Perplexed_Sjel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:10 am 

iAm wrote:
I'm looking right now for Drone Doom

Black Boned Angel, from New Zealand. There full-length is epic drone. Alongside them I would suggest Nadja, especially 'Corrasion' for a harsher sound and 'Desire In Uneasiness' for a mellow sound.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:51 am 

colin040 wrote:
Well, i've heard ''slow'' death/doom songs that realy sound exciting, besides it sounds slow, but i see your point though. Will check Cianide out, thanks!

You might also dig Infester's "To The Depths...In Degredation". They aren't labeled death/doom on the archives, but believe me they have a HEALTHY dose of doom in their sound. They do a very good job of switching from oppressively heavy doomy passages to quick blast beating black metal madness. The vocals are a bit more gut wrenching than I typically prefer, but it works for them. I also really enjoy the drummers cymbal work, so fucking catchy.

I love this album but I still can't help but smile at the band picture. Is that guy cross eyed?

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:28 am 

Since the reviews for Pentagram's Review Your Choices are so varied, I was wondering if anyone had some other insight for this album?

Also, how are Sub Basement and Show 'Em How?

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:48 pm 

PM sent, Mikey.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:05 pm 

StryckenFromHistory wrote:
Since the reviews for Pentagram's Review Your Choices are so varied, I was wondering if anyone had some other insight for this album?

Also, how are Sub Basement and Show 'Em How?

It's Pentagram, after all. Always worth listening. PM sent, by the way.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:20 pm 

Catachthonian wrote:
stuff
Yeah, I might spin those, but I doubt I'll pick them up. Seems a bit wasteful, since I can just go pick up First Daze Here and such. I doubt the new stuff is good enough to warrant a purchase.

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:23 pm 

Catachthonian wrote:
stuff
Yeah, I might spin those, but I doubt I'll pick them up. Seems a bit wasteful, since I can just go pick up First Daze Here and such. I doubt the new stuff is good enough to warrant a purchase.

Haha, yeah, if there's anything worth bying apart from the first three full-lengths, it's both First Dazes Here, Turned To Stone and A Keg Full Of Dynamite (and maybe Human Hurricane).

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:32 pm 

Catachthonian wrote:
A Keg Full Of Dynamite.
Is that even available anymore?

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:38 pm 

http://www.supreme-chaos-records.de/sho ... nyl&sort=p

http://www.supreme-chaos-records.de/sho ... p&start=14

Just did some random google search.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:31 pm 

Thanks for the links, but I live in the US and the dollar is so shitty which makes those links almost useless to me :\

I'm browsing the webs to find it right now.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:20 pm 

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
PM sent, Mikey.

Cheers, mate. :thumbsup:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Encephalopathy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:21 am 

I'm surprised there's no mention of Ras Algethi so far in this thread.

Basically, it's slow paced doom metal with a sad, spacey, ethereal atmosphere mainly due to the guitar tone and keyboards. It has melody, it has slow, plodding sections driven by drums, and it has clean male vocals along with some harsh vocals - though never going into the death growl realm.

Although it has a distinct sad atmosphere, it also feels uplifting at times. I don't know what other band to compare this to, as my knowledge of doom metal is pretty limited.

Bands that have been named several times in this thread that I feel are that damn good that I just have to recommend them again are:

Esoteric - my favorite doom metal band. Psychedelic, twisted, heavy, and melodic at times...this band has done no wrong so far in its discography.

Evoken - the tops of death/doom genre IMO. Their first three albums are all amazing, as judged by ratings of 100% for Quietus and Antithesis of Light by a total of 10 reviewers.

Candlemass - my favorite "traditional" doom metal band. Their songs have an epic feel to them due to their apparent heaviness combined with melody. Acoustic guitars + great vocals on top of that = great success!

Everyone who seeks out doom metal should listen to these three...at all costs!

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:51 am 

I had Ras Algethi's The White Hypnotic for a good long while but to be honest, it bored me to tears. I tend to like pretty atmospheric stuff, I'm heavily into doom, and everything about the band sounds fantastic to me-- except for how it actually sounds, which is just so boring. I tried to get into it but to no avail. Oh well!

Anybody know any (largely) spoken-word based doom, similar to Anathema (particularly Pentecost III) or I guess Graveyard Dirt? I really like the way that sounds. Hell, I even really enjoy the spoken word in Sunn 0)))'s My Wall, although that is not what I am asking for here, I think it works better with that spacey, mournful style.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:08 am 

ForNaught wrote:
Anybody know any (largely) spoken-word based doom, similar to Anathema (particularly Pentecost III) or I guess Graveyard Dirt? I really like the way that sounds. Hell, I even really enjoy the spoken word in Sunn 0)))'s My Wall, although that is not what I am asking for here, I think it works better with that spacey, mournful style.

Get Dolorian. They mainly use whispers, so technically not spoken word, but it comes pretty damn close. And they are vastly underrated and deserve a lot more attention. One of the better modern bands out there. They have this unqiue style, which is really amazing.

My Dying Bride "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" should work too. Frequent use of spoken word, to give it that epic touch and it's the best and imo only good album of My Dying Bride. Also a lot darker than anything else they've released.

ForNaught
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:48 am 

Weerwolf wrote:
Get Dolorian. They mainly use whispers, so technically not spoken word, but it comes pretty damn close. And they are vastly underrated and deserve a lot more attention. One of the better modern bands out there. They have this unqiue style, which is really amazing.

My Dying Bride "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" should work too. Frequent use of spoken word, to give it that epic touch and it's the best and imo only good album of My Dying Bride. Also a lot darker than anything else they've released.

Dolorian look interesting, I will look into them later. Whispers could easily fit the feel I'm looking for here. Thanks for the tip.

I don't really care for that MDB album, though-- I've heard basically all their stuff and while As the Flower Withers, Swans, Angel and the Dark River and The Dreadful Hours are all fantastic to me the rest of their stuff feels rather dull to me. Go figure. My Wine in Silence and And My Fury Stands Ready are both great, though.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:25 am 

Perplexed_Sjel wrote:
iAm wrote:
I'm looking right now for Drone Doom

Black Boned Angel, from New Zealand. There full-length is epic drone. Alongside them I would suggest Nadja, especially 'Corrasion' for a harsher sound and 'Desire In Uneasiness' for a mellow sound.

Surprised you'd pick "Corrasion" for a harsher sound (hell, if you're looking for a harsher sound then I wouldn't recommend any nadja, haha). Desire is pretty cool, but I would personally say that Truth Becomes Death and Touched are the best releases for the Nadja- and drone- newbie.

Hyatari are excellent, very accessible drone doom with some fairly massive riffing and what not. It starts off fairly droney, then gets progressively doomier and riffier as the album goes on. I personally think it's pretty rad, and probably the best gateway album to drone.

Also, if you're going to make a fairly general rec (i.e, drone, death/doom etc), then just search through the thread! You should find answers by the second or third page, tops.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:51 pm 

I was looking for old school doom, and I was wondering, before I download them, are any of the Sorcery albums good?

I'm referring to the band that released Sinister Soldiers and the ilk.

DeadGein
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:36 pm 

Searching for Doom/Sludge similar to Dystopia, any suggestion?

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:48 pm 

I was looking for old school doom, and I was wondering, before I download them, are any of the Sorcery albums good?

I'm referring to the band that released Sinister Soldiers and the ilk.

They're fine actually. Nothing spectacular but a nice piece of heavy rock history.

StryckenFromHistory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:19 pm 

DeadGein wrote:
Searching for Doom/Sludge similar to Dystopia, any suggestion?
The closest thing that I have heard to Dystopia is FACEDOWNINSHIT. The tempos are faster at times, but it can be just as vile and depressed, it has that misanthropic crust feel to it.

natelien
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:43 pm 

If you like the "crust" sound try stormcrow or sanctum. As for the dark depressive side of Dystopia, i havent found much like it. it's very unique and i dont think the crust underground really understands that's why they are so big.

You should definitely check out "Thou" however. Especially their first album Tyrant. fucking amazing. Its like heavy as fuck doom but still floating on clouds

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:17 pm 

I'm looking for Doom Metal with a kind of rock vibe to it, preferably with operatic/clean vocals. Maybe with a spacey/cosmic feeling too. Good quality recording is a plus, as well.
Something like Lamented Souls.
Any recommendations?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 133  Next