Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:20 pm 

I've been in quite the crusade for a while to find an album that sounds like Orchid, given that I truly dislike the rest of Opeth's ouvre.

What I'm specifically looking for: the riffing style, that sort of power metally/trad heavy twin guitar melody work (think, say, the intro of "In Mist...") where both guitars are playing slightly different melodies or harmonies at the same time (as opposed to have one playing melodies and the other doing chords), yet with a certain rock n roll sloppiness to it. Important that there's little to no tremolo picking and the riffs are never chunky or groovy. Also that it has a dry, thin guitar tone. Also, and this is primordial, NO blast beats!

What I'm not looking for: stuff that's also melodic but is heavy on tremolo and blasts (literally any melodic black metal), stuff that is just atmospheric but has nothing on the riffing style (Agalloch or Deafheaven). Also, Morningrise. Just no.

I already know Katatonia, Dark Tranquility, Edge of Sanity, Obsequiae, Dreichmere and Eucharist. I need stuff that's closer!

Sorry for being picky, but I wanted to really be specific on what I want. Thank you for your time.

SanPeron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:10 pm 

Try these albums, I try to choose 90s stuff since Orchid has that old-school feel that only a handful of albums have.

AMORPHIS - The Karelian Isthmus (1992)

AMORPHIS - Tales From The Thousand Lakes (1994)

NOVEMBERS DOOM - Amid Its Hallowed Mirth (1995)

Anathema - The Crestfallen EP (1992)

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:26 pm 

Maybe Back to Times of Splendor by Disillusion?

And if I'm on the good track, then Orphaned Land first two albums, although they put a good amount of "oriental" flair to it..

MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:44 pm 

SanPeron wrote:
Try these albums, I try to choose 90s stuff since Orchid has that old-school feel that only a handful of albums have.

AMORPHIS - The Karelian Isthmus (1992)

AMORPHIS - Tales From The Thousand Lakes (1994)

NOVEMBERS DOOM - Amid Its Hallowed Mirth (1995)

Anathema - The Crestfallen EP (1992)

I had forgotten to mention Amorphis! Big fan, but I wouldn't say it's closer than Edge of Sanity or Dark Tranquility. I actually found the Anathema EP very similar in a lot of parts. Thank you! Novembers Doom, however, wasn't it in the slightest.

MorbidSaint69
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:18 am 

Quote:
Maybe Back to Times of Splendor by Disillusion?

Quote:
And if I'm on the good track, then Orphaned Land first two albums, although they put a good amount of "oriental" flair to it..

Disillusion wasn't like it at all. In fact it reminded me a lot of Still Life, an album I truly hate. But Orphaned Land was quite the revelation! Specially the second album, probably one of the 4 or so albums that are truly close to Orchid i nthe riffing department, I was so amazed listening to it, I couldn't believe my ears! Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Morphine1873
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:00 am 

I'mnot super familiar with Opeth, truth be told.
Great if Orphaned Land hit the right target ;)

MathewSS
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:18 am 

I love Orphaned Land too

Reply to topic