Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
xenon8247
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:31 pm 

EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
I'm looking for some good prog-death aside from Opeth, Edge of Sanity, and Katatonia.

My specialty!!! If you use spotify you can follow this but if not it'll still let you view the bands and songs
https://open.spotify.com/user/xenon82/playlist/6ylnnxvD7zuiAfjefwcgqy?si=Hlb4WXLrRwSt4EIEmK6whQ

You also mentioned Katatonia and EoS, which if you like those bands I'd also recommend the following as well.
https://open.spotify.com/user/xenon82/playlist/0CUkpBDl5edG80pSzyddit?si=FK1DLDmIQpizngVu6F572g
https://open.spotify.com/user/xenon82/playlist/5WZTCgS5TOwwnyGarcq2c4?si=PxGBDjN1SN-TOfGNnuWDug

zen3001
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:38 am 

xenon8247 wrote:
EzraBlumenfeld wrote:
I'm looking for some good prog-death aside from Opeth, Edge of Sanity, and Katatonia.

My specialty!!! If you use spotify you can follow this but if not it'll still let you view the bands and songs
https://open.spotify.com/user/xenon82/playlist/6ylnnxvD7zuiAfjefwcgqy?si=Hlb4WXLrRwSt4EIEmK6whQ

You also mentioned Katatonia and EoS, which if you like those bands I'd also recommend the following as well.
https://open.spotify.com/user/xenon82/playlist/0CUkpBDl5edG80pSzyddit?si=FK1DLDmIQpizngVu6F572g
https://open.spotify.com/user/xenon82/playlist/5WZTCgS5TOwwnyGarcq2c4?si=PxGBDjN1SN-TOfGNnuWDug

You know that not every one has spotify?

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:16 am 

Yeah shut the fuck up about spotify and post some actual albums.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:46 pm 

Spotify is free you nerds.

untappd: patrick_g

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:13 am 

The fun of a forum is discussion. There's nothing about posting a link to a streaming website that encourages discussion. I could give a fuck if it's free or whatever, that's not the point.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:02 pm 

I am looking for death metal albums released in 2018 that are comparable stylistically to early 1990s era Death.

I already know of Twisted Prayers by Gruesome, which is a fantastic album. Any other albums that have been released in 2018 that are in the same vein as early 1990s era Death?

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:40 pm 

The only thing I could think of that belies a direct comparison to early Death is the new Morfin, Skeletal Remains, and Rude albums, but two of those came out last year. Outside of that, as far as this year goes, you'll probably enjoy the new albums from Atomwinter, Deceased, Faithxtractor, Mortuous, Nasty Surgeons, and Requiem. All are really thrashy old school death metal, though Mortuous and Nasty Surgeons are probably closer to Autopsy than Death. Sorry I can't be more help.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:18 am 

I'm looking for bands similar in vein to Jungle Rot/Six Feet Under/Bolt Thrower/Obituary. i.e. bands that have a groovy death sound to them.

If someone can recommend a list that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Newer releases appreciated too.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:26 pm 

blarg223 wrote:
The only thing I could think of that belies a direct comparison to early Death is the new Morfin, Skeletal Remains, and Rude albums, but two of those came out last year. Outside of that, as far as this year goes, you'll probably enjoy the new albums from Atomwinter, Deceased, Faithxtractor, Mortuous, Nasty Surgeons, and Requiem. All are really thrashy old school death metal, though Mortuous and Nasty Surgeons are probably closer to Autopsy than Death. Sorry I can't be more help.

I own the albums by Morfin, Skeletal Remains, and Rude already. The Morfin album from 2017 is easily one of my top five releases of 2017. The Skeletal Remains album you're referring to, Devouring Mortality, was awesome, too. I'll have to look into the other albums from 2018 you mentioned.

I discussed the Skeletal Remains release in one of my recent YouTube videos, by the way.

SiriusB
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:45 pm 

I need excellent progressive death metal bands like Obscura and Beyond Creation. Please, help-me, guys.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:52 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I'm looking for bands similar in vein to Jungle Rot/Six Feet Under/Bolt Thrower/Obituary. i.e. bands that have a groovy death sound to them.

Thanks in advance.

If you don't mind something more doom-y at times (although not in a doom/death manner either), Runemagick's first three albums perhaps?

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:50 am 

colin040 wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

If you don't mind something more doom-y at times (although not in a doom/death manner either), Runemagick's first three albums perhaps?

Yeah Runemagick is indeed good. It's been a while since I listened to it. I think I will revisit them.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:26 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Offal would probably be worth a shot, groovy horror themed DM with the vocalist from Lymphatic Phlegm.

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:08 am 

SiriusB wrote:
I need excellent progressive death metal bands like Obscura and Beyond Creation. Please, help-me, guys.

You might want to check out Soreption.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:12 am 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Offal would probably be worth a shot, groovy horror themed DM with the vocalist from Lymphatic Phlegm.

Yeah that's the sound. A lot like Death n' Roll. Thanks for the rec.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:26 pm 

Can anyone recommend me some noteworthy progressive/technical death metal in the last few years?

Please refrain from suggesting anything Demilich/Timeghoul-influenced (Blood Incantation), dissonant (Zhrine, Ulcerate, Gorguts), bands that are overtly "wanky/noodley" or anything that tries to bridge OSDM with psychedelia (Morbus Chron, Horrendous). I enjoy those styles but I'm honestly sick to death of them.

I just want modern (but not sterile) tech-death with strong, punchy riffing, memorable and clever transitions like grandma used to make (Anata, Atheretic, Neuraxis, Mithras)

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:55 am 

Lately I'm listening to a lot of Brutal DM and liking it so far.
Some of the bands I liked are Cenotaph, Exsanguinate, Necrotic Disgorgement, FleshTorture, Dysentery, Unfathomable Ruination and others.

I am basically going for an under water kind of sound, drums sounding as if beating on a carpet, i.e. very flat sound. I don't like the bouncy sounding BDM. I like a very flat production.

Could someone recommend some bands. Actually I have already got a number of recommendations on the forum but I just wanted to make this request a bit more specific as I hope I have done.

Thanks in advance.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:41 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some noteworthy progressive/technical death metal in the last few years?

Please refrain from suggesting anything Demilich/Timeghoul-influenced (Blood Incantation), dissonant (Zhrine, Ulcerate, Gorguts), bands that are overtly "wanky/noodley" or anything that tries to bridge OSDM with psychedelia (Morbus Chron, Horrendous). I enjoy those styles but I'm honestly sick to death of them.

I just want modern (but not sterile) tech-death with strong, punchy riffing, memorable and clever transitions like grandma used to make (Anata, Atheretic, Neuraxis, Mithras)

Maybe Svart Crown? It's a little dissonant, but not brooding like Zhrine or Ulcerate. Very riffy. The production is definitely modern, but not sterile, especially on the album Profane.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:42 pm 

Thanks! I'll be back with an impression once I get some time. Cheers.

EDIT: Ehhh....sounds like your dime a dozen dissonant Black/Death metal band honestly. Was hoping for something more technical and adventurous. Thanks again though.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:10 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:

Several of the more overlooked Dark Descent-style death metal releases get pretty technical, and they definitely don't sound sterile at all. For instance, Lantern, Grethor (try their song Requiem for a Strawman), Cemetery Urn (s/t album), Auroch, and Dire Omen are all very quality bands.

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:25 am 

Wow, way to give the guy the worst-fitting recommendations possible, it's like you're trying to recommend him the opposite of what he's asking for. Here's some actually cool tech death you might enjoy.

Irreversible Mechanism
Pavor
Pitbulls in the Nursery
Appalling Spawn
Polluted Inheritance
Orgone
Duobetic Homonkulus
Quo Vadis
Illogicist
Sutrah
Odious Mortem
Capharnum
Crimson Massacre
Vacuus
Yattering
Abhorrent
Augury
Neglected Fields
Virulent Depravity
First Fragment
Pestifer (Belgian one, not Portugese)
Deadborn
Virvum
Lykathea Aflame

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:11 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
Several of the more overlooked Dark Descent-style death metal releases get pretty technical, and they definitely don't sound sterile at all. For instance, Lantern, Grethor (try their song Requiem for a Strawman), Cemetery Urn (s/t album), Auroch, and Dire Omen are all very quality bands.

Sounds like OSDM to me man. Not what I'm looking for at all. I mentioned Anata and Neuraxis as reference points for a reason...

@Blarg: Killer recs man. This is more like it. I see a lot of names I'm familiar and not-so-familiar with. Crimson Massacre, in particular, is just about the most mindblowing shit ever. Almost reminds me of Nefas and Incinerate with their dense, schizophrenic riffing style. Thanks and cheers.

For everyone else, let me clarify: NO OSDM or OSDM-styled acts. Think Theory in Practice. Think Gory Blister. Think. :/

blarg223
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:38 pm 

People don't listen to what you actually want or ask for, they just diarrhea out a bunch of name-dropping, ill-fitting bullshit to look smart to strangers on the internet. 99% of recommendation threads I see, some dipshit will comment with one of the bands OP references, almost without fucking fail.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:24 pm 

Mute Books is unquestionably a closer fit to the definition of "technical death metal" than what I've heard from Anata.

Edit: Okay, what about the new Lecherous Nocturne album? Is that closer to your definitions?

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:53 am 

Xenophon wrote:
Mute Books is unquestionably a closer fit to the definition of "technical death metal" than what I've heard from Anata.

Edit: Okay, what about the new Lecherous Nocturne album? Is that closer to your definitions?

Technical death metal isnt limited to one specific sound much the same that OSDM has a very wide range of bands, op asked for a certain type of technical death metal and your suggestions didnt fit.
And in what world is Anata not the definition of technical death metal, Conductors Departure is a bloody masterclass, equally so is Gorguts Obscura but the two sound very different wouldnt you agree.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:57 pm 

blarg223 wrote:
People don't listen to what you actually want or ask for, they just diarrhea out a bunch of name-dropping, ill-fitting bullshit to look smart to strangers on the internet. 99% of recommendation threads I see, some dipshit will comment with one of the bands OP references, almost without fucking fail.

...or necro old threads for no reason despite the OP not even visiting the forum for months or even years. :durr:

Required Fields
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:37 pm 

blarg223 wrote:

I found out about another band that would fit the description I was looking for. The band is called Hated, and the album is called Breathless Art.

The album is only available digitally for now, though; no physical release exists (yet).

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:14 pm 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
Xenophon wrote:

Technical death metal isnt limited to one specific sound much the same that OSDM has a very wide range of bands, op asked for a certain type of technical death metal and your suggestions didnt fit.
And in what world is Anata not the definition of technical death metal, Conductors Departure is a bloody masterclass, equally so is Gorguts Obscura but the two sound very different wouldnt you agree.

Haven't listened to Anata's last one, but I'd say techniques like intensive string-skipping mostly define tech-death. And just because it's Dark Descent doesn't mean it's osdm. In fact, I'd say hardly any of their bands are osdm.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:56 am 

Hi guys, need to reconect with death metal, hit me some with new releases you've been enjoying. Already checked the worthwhile albums of 2018 thread. Loved Inferi, Augury, Alkaloid and Monotheist.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:27 am 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Hi guys, need to reconect with death metal, hit me some with new releases you've been enjoying. Already checked the worthwhile albums of 2018 thread. Loved Inferi, Augury, Alkaloid and Monotheist.

I’ve really been enjoying Drawn and Quartered’s “The One Who Lurks.”
Spoiler: show

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:56 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:

I'm going to use this opportunity to plug Outre-Tombe from Quebec. I find it disappointing that they aren't talked up more instead of stuff like Gatecreeper (you're all bad and you should feel bad!). Their first album from 2015 is badass shit and they have another album coming out in October.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFAlY4c0e6M

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:01 am 

IntoNevermore wrote:

Cosmic Void Ritual - Gateways Through Septic Flesh

Very dark and alien sounding death metal. These days I can't stand the whole cavernous death metal sound but here its done exceptionally well. Imagine Incantation with a pinch of Adramelech/Demilich-esque angularity and you get the idea.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:30 pm 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I'm looking for bands similar in vein to Jungle Rot/Bolt Thrower/. i.e. bands that have a groovy death sound to them.

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:54 am 

Opus wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
I'm looking for bands similar in vein to Jungle Rot/Bolt Thrower/. i.e. bands that have a groovy death sound to them.

That's a good sound to have for a DM band but I thought it was more Meshuggah-esque. I may be totally wrong though.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:39 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:

Here's something to check out, something new and something old. Going off the Bolt Thrower reference here... And groove.

Armoured Angel - Stgmatyr

Armoured Angel - Mysterium

Both of these rule. Rolling, groovy heaviness. Stellar.

Trench Rot - Necronomic Warfare

Little bit faster, but still rocks pretty fuckin' hard. Good stuff.

Innsmouth

Something left of your field of view? Here's some brutal groove.

Gouge

These guys might have something for you?

Bloodthorn

These guys?

My two cents.

My collection

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:22 am 

sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
That's a good sound to have for a DM band but I thought it was more Meshuggah-esque.

You what...? Mesh... Did I link the wrong video?? Like Meshu... no... what?

sonic_enemy_333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:51 pm 

Opus wrote:
sonic_enemy_333 wrote:
That's a good sound to have for a DM band but I thought it was more Meshuggah-esque.

You what...? Mesh... Did I link the wrong video?? Like Meshu... no... what?

Hehe .. I just heard the first few seconds and thought it was a lot like Demiurge.

NECROIMPALER_TERRORUNIT
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:21 am 

Hey guys,

Looking for something exotic here, I am looking for bands who use pitch shifted lowered vocals ALL THE TIME. Giving it an inhumane / completely fucked up atmosphere.
Usually it's kept for dramatic effect for a line or two, but if it works why not expand it?

Here are some examples of what I have in mind:

https://youtu.be/ci7XePXFO2Q?t=4m22s
https://youtu.be/GmOw7hIuyQs?t=2m22s (I know I know allegedly Antti Boman just has dope vocals to start with)

I would prefer groovy- thrashy bands, but at this point I am curious about anything!

THX

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:24 pm 

I think you might like these guys. Pathologist from the Czech Republic.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:35 am 

Seconding Pathologist, if you enjoy that you could try Lymphatic Phlegm it's goregrind but not your typical goregrind, the vocalist also has a death metal band called Offal that makes some use of pitchshifted vocals but not constantly.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268 ... 289  Next