Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:17 pm 

Ok kinda new to Napalm Death, but i know they have alot of albums out, can anyone recommend me their best and heaviest ones?

So far I have

Scum
Harmony Corruption
Utopia Banished
Order of the Leech
The Code is Red...Long live the Code

I understand theres possibly a few of theirs that arent so much worth a listen

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:27 pm 

It sorta depends what variation or period of ND you prefer, but I'd probably recommend From Enslavement to Obliteration and their last 3-4. Modern Napalm Death isn't amazing, but it's some solid, violent metal for when you want something simple yet vitriolic and punishing. FEtO is often considered their best or second, so that's a no-brainer, almost surprised it's not one of the handful you already have.

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:46 am 

Yeah I’ve heard parts of their mid to late 90s albums on youtube and didn’t think they sounded as good as say their late80s/early 90s albums really. So clearly i prefer that style of the band

ThanatosUK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:51 pm 

For their 80's grind stuff make sure you check out the Peel Sessions.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:39 am 

Id recommend picking up Enemy of the Music Business, it was a great return to form solid set of songs and many great riffs

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:15 pm 

When it comes to this band, I always go for their mid 90's output :

- Fear, Emptiness, Despair
- Diatribes
- Inside the Torn Apart
- Words from the Exit Wound

...and my dosage of ND is sufficient by this!

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:58 am 

I don't think ND have an outright poor album, though Words From The Exit Wound & the two most recent are the ones I spin the least.

My all-time favorite is Fear, Emptiness, Despair, which is their most unique album, imo: slow, heavy, super-grimy with Barney giving his most "evil" vocal performance. Songs like 'Hung' & 'Plague Rages' still get my blood pumping.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:45 pm 

televiper11 wrote:
Words From The Exit Wound & the two most recent are the ones I spin the least.

the two most recent are among the ones i spin the most :lol: i think utilitarian in particular was a great album

i'm not super familiar with their discography, but i guess a lot of it comes down to how much you prefer your napalm to have death metal over grindcore or vice versa

if i had to choose, i'd probably say the code is red is my fav (granted i haven't even heard all the mid era albums)

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:08 am 

Obviously their best material is on the split with Electro Hippies. They really distilled their music to it's primal essence without all the frills and foppery that come with most grind, and additionally they made a powerful protest record against something.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:03 pm 

I think most Napalm Death albums are good. Their later releases are actually better than the earlier material.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:33 am 

I am actually pretty fond of the last ones. They keep doing good grindcore tastefully combined with some more crust punk moments and the production allows me to listen every instrument even with the downtuned guitars and the blast beat, which usually turns songs into an indistinc noise.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:46 pm 

Napalm Death have always been one of those pillar bands that I always find myself returning to. Such a consistent band even while changing styles. I certainly think that From Enslavement To Obliteration is their best offering. That imo is the best grindcore album ever made and encompasses everything that grind should. With that said some of the other bests that you don't have are.

Napalm Death/SOB split - If you like FETO you'll like this, its very similar.
Mentally Murdered ep - Last release with Dorrian. Its the link between FETO and Harmony Corruption
Enemy of The Music Business - Nice return to form and great catchy riffs.
Fear Emptiness Despar - Unique but much heavier than most of their other work. This is on par with Utopia Banish for 2nd best imo

mike_87
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:43 am 

Thanks for your help guys, since your advice I have picked up Enemy of the Music Business, Utilitarian, and FETO. FETO was indeed very good but my only issue was with that, as good as the tracks were, you don't get much time to enjoy them hehe. Utilitarian I also liked very much, Apex was alright but not quite as good as that IMO. It seems their experimental mid 90s period is liked by some but bashed by others.

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:42 am 

First 2 for grind, 3rd for their death metal phase. Perhaps Time Waits for no Slave but I havent listeded to it in a long time, otherwise I pass on anything after Harmony Corruption. Oh and the Mentally Murdered, or whatever it's called, EP.

Reply to topic