Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Karlabos
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:50 am 

No fixed symphonic/gothic etc? Well I didn't find it at least, so I made this (if there is one plz redirect =p)

I am looking for symphonic metal (female vocals is a HUGE plus) which is actually metal and not like 99% of the symphonic metal out there, where there is like one "groovy" song and the rest are ballads. So... I don't want... you know... Within Temptation...
What I am looking for is more like:
*) Highly distorted guitars, you know, those you can hear on a very good metalcore album (*hides*)
*) Fast tempo all the way.
*) Absolutely no doomy breakdowns/changes of paces which are mostly common on symphonic metal albums for God knows what reason and which hurt my ears every time
*) No ballads (well one intro or outro is ok, but no more than that)
*) The symphonic elements primary reason to be should add to the atmosphere (and not just hide the other instruments which happen frequently), basically I want it to sound like you are fighting a huge boss or something. The more like a boss fight it sounds the better
*) I want a tension and not calmness. The symphonic elements should NOT aim for a serene, calm contrast on the metal instruments. Actually the opposite: they should add to the chaos

To cite an example... the most I can get close to what I want would be Yousei Teikoku... But of course doesn't need to be similar.
So are there any intense symphonic METAL bands out there?

Last edited by Karlabos on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joppek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:57 am 

how about tvangeste? or to be super obvious, fleshgod apocalypse?

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:15 pm 

Most songs by Ancient Bards tend to be upbeat and boss-fight-y.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QL9bmoUa2A

Galneryus are a bit hit-or-miss, but when they're on-point, they're fuckin' on-point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt2Mz1cLQkI

Other than that, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for some more, myself.
Violet Evergarden
After That: In This Corner of the World and Land of the Lustrous

Robinsky
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:19 pm 

I have to note: actual Symphonic metal is like Therion. It's heavy metal plus classical music.

What you're seeking, however, seems to be closest to Symphonic POWER metal, the one that's upbeat and fast.

Rhapsody is an option. Their album Power of the Dragonflame is the closest to "boss battle" symphonic power metal I can think of. Sure, they're male-fronted and have ballads, but most of the material is fast and all about fighting demons. They often remind me of Castlevania background music.

Youtube: show

Check out also Seven Kingdoms. They are aggressive, fast, and female-fronted, though not really symphonic, to be honest.

You may also like symphonic black metal and certain types of folk metal. Check out Turisas, their brand of "battle metal" is kick-ass.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:27 pm 

Zornheym plays some catchy, riffy (ex-Dark Funeral guitarist) symphonic bm.

If I remember correctly Ignea had some solid chunky riffs with oriental flavored orchestral backing.

Somebody mentioned Fleshgod Apocalypse, if that's your thing I'd recommend Spawn of Possesion. Insane tech death with orchestral backing with probably more restraint & subtleties than FA.

In Tormentata Quiete's latest had that nice gritty guitar tone but I think it'll be too vocal driven for your request. Worth a shot I reckon.

Serenity in Murder, feelgood Japanese symphonic (?) melodeath, haven't heard the full thing yet but it's pretty good from what I remember

Ade's latest had a nice balance between accessible Kataklysm-esque death metal & bombastic Roman themed symphonics

Also try the new Myrath album, a bit too clean for me but again, worth a shot.

ab12
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:44 pm 

I don't know your opinion on female lead vocalists but you could try Epica, I guess. You might have to do some digging through their catalogue but they have some songs like Edge of The Blade, Sensorium , Universal Death squad and if you can stand the long slow intro; Cry for The Moon.

Theres good stuff in those two albums(The Phantom Agony, Holographic Principle) but you can also look in Requiem for The Indifferent or Design Your Universe.

Reply to topic