Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:44 am 

Does Let Me Dream count? It's the only band near where my parents live, and where I think my true home is. But it's a periphery so that's no wonder. In Riihimäki-Hyvinkää area there are more, Skepticism propably the most profilic from them.

Edguy As Fuck
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:02 pm 

I live in Chico, CA - a little college town nestled in northern Sacramento Valley. A pretty great doom band Amarok comes from here as well as the sludge groups Cold Blue Mountain and Armed For Apocalypse and the drone band Hearses. Not much, but the fact that we have any at all is a small miracle to me.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:07 pm 

We happen to have one Stoner doom band that's legitimately good. Another one that's sludgier and sounds more like punk. To my knowledge, that's it.

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:28 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
You've pretty much covered all the Melbourne doom stuff I know other than Clagg who are some cool stoner/doom stuff.

Except for Agonhymn. Those guys are completely under-rated, and are totally brutal when it all works out sound-wise. Not to mention Dave is one of the best mixers around. His brothers band from Bendigo which I've completely forgotten the name of are also great doom merchants.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:57 am 

Back Stabbath wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:
You've pretty much covered all the Melbourne doom stuff I know other than Clagg who are some cool stoner/doom stuff.

Except for Agonhymn. Those guys are completely under-rated, and are totally brutal when it all works out sound-wise. Not to mention Dave is one of the best mixers around. His brothers band from Bendigo which I've completely forgotten the name of are also great doom merchants.

Everything about this post has intrigued me. Originally from Bendigo myself, shamefully unaware of the scene from there sadly.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:34 am 

Two weeks ago I put up an ad in eBay classifieds (eBay Germany has that) saying that I have a doom metal project that is looking for fellow musicians, and it seems like I might have found a guitarist. So far I only know he is 30 like me, likes doom, and lives about an hour away but doesn't mind driving. Who knows, maybe in the future there may be a doom metal band in Oldenburg? A man can dream, can he not?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:33 pm 

As far as I know, Michigan is mostly devoid of doom bands. We have some stoner/doom bands like Beast in the Field, and I play in a band that dances between doom, drone, and noise rock, but that's all I know of. If anyone could point me towards some good Michigan Doom, I'd really appreciate it!

Brutality_Junkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:04 pm 

The first band that comes to mind is Lesbian;

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Lesbian/96703

They're...alright I guess. Their first album is definitely the best they've ever put out but some of the tracks on their second are solid;

Sunn O))) used to be based here in Seattle but not anymore.

**EDIT** Completely forgot to mention Anhedonist;

Some really choice death/doom.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:33 am 

Back Stabbath wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

I keep forgetting that Agonhymn are Victorian, but of course! They played another gig just last night, actually. Very interesting sound - not quite my thing, but quite memorable; they're pretty well-respected, I'd say, though not quite enough people know them.

lord_ghengis wrote:
Ha pretty much the only other person I've been out drinking with for metal links was also.from Adamus Exul :s
Certainly didn't get racist vibes from Elliot at least, he's too carefree to be hateful.

Eh, most of the other guys in Adamus (past and present) are pretty cool dudes; there were rumours about some of them, and of course they all have disputes with others in the scene, but Jack was the main problem.

Last edited by Calusari on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:07 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Everything about this post has intrigued me. Originally from Bendigo myself, shamefully unaware of the scene from there sadly.

I dunno about a "scene", but their name was Sore.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:28 am 

I'll look 'em up, Bendigo has some ripping bands somehow.

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:33 am 

It's probably because the southern gold-fields are as kvlt as being in the Arctic Circle.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:12 am 

Abandoned mine shafts are metal as fuck...

... talking trams not so much.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:21 am 

lord_ghengis wrote:
You have it in your blood Marmer, go make some Dutchdoom.

Indeed, Would be a great idea to start a new act with these old school influences. Phlebotomized, Obtruncation are working on new releases as well. So stay focussed on Vic Records..

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:13 pm 

I'd love to make new dutch death/doom myself too. Wonder if i can actually pull it off though...

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:34 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
I'd love to make new dutch death/doom myself too. Wonder if i can actually pull it off though...

Move to Michigan and I'll be your drummer! :P

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:20 pm 

considering its dutch doom/death we are talking about, maybe you should make the move :P

Doomed Cowboy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:51 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Abandoned mine shafts are metal as fuck...

So, I'm assuming that means the Southern U.S. is metal as fuck, in a sludgy way?

I did some looking, and there are quite a few more doom bands in Austin than I thought. However, they mostly aren't good. You'd think we'd pull some epic doom somewhere in Texas, considering Solitude Aeturnus is from the state.

NWOOFGM
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:26 am 

I would not call Doom Metal popular here in Athens, except for big names such as Candlemass, Electric Wizard and such, which are still able to fill a venue when they play live. However, the average metalhead does not seem to have a problem when it some to the slow stuff, getting a healthy, small dose of it. There are people that are more heavily into that genre, and we know (or know of) each other through forums and social networking.

As for bands, Sorrows Path are considered veterans of the scene, being active 20 years now, and they are about to release a new album. If you are interested in the Power Metal side of Doom, check them out. Litany seems to be inactive at the moment, and the newly formed Black Candles Burning seem to have potential.

We do have a vibrant Stoner scene, with bands as Lucky Funeral and Planet of Zeus, but no active Death/Doom bands come to mind. As for Funeral Doom, just forget about it.

taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:35 am 

In Indonesia, doom metal has not really been popular, probably because it sounds very slow compared to others. But there really ARE some doom metal bands in Indonesia (some of them have even actually been popular enough).

List of known Indonesian doom metal bands (at least according to my remembrance):
Geboren (Gothic/death/doom metal)(http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Geboren/9187)
Tragedy (Gothic/doom metal)(http://www.reverbnation.com/TRAGEDYBOGORDOOMMETALGOTHIC) About to release their EP, but so far they haven't told everything about the recording sessions of it, though they do tell about their latest gig.
Brhobosan (Symphonic doom/black metal) (http://www.reverbnation.com/brhobosan)
(((...))) (or Three Black Dots in the Brackets) (Drone/doom metal) (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%28 ... 3540352418)
Cry of Blood (or CryofblooD) (unclear, as they consider their genre as "Doom metal darkness", but possibly gothic/doom metal or blackened doom) (http://www.reverbnation.com/cryofbloodi ... aldarkness)

Last edited by taufan99 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
ineedajob
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:19 pm 

Hell there isn't even a metal scene here, let alone a doom scene.

taufan99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:09 am 

ineedajob wrote:

Don't you just feel proud with your own country's doom metal bands like, say, Saint Vitus?

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:54 am 

No such scene in Finland. Or if there is, I'm not exactly aware or the circles are just so small that it's hardly a scene. Don't know really any new bands. There was a pretty big doom hype around 2005/2006 when the second Reverend Bizarre album was being released, and I'm sure the hype also caused the band to fold earlier than it was supposed to.

Dodkrake
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:14 am 

Here in Portugal is about the same. I'm on a Doom metal band, we have Ava Inferi and from what I gather that's about it. There are 1 or 2 bands the same size as mine and nothing else. It's pretty bad if you ask me, it's awful to have a concert venue with bands a lot different than our own.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:22 pm 

taufan99 wrote:
ineedajob wrote:

Don't you just feel proud with your own country's doom metal bands like, say, Saint Vitus?

I'm gonna guess he meant his particular state, whichever it is. Because doom in the US is pretty stellar and it's just fine here in Indiana.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:00 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:

I'm in Bendigo too.
Anyway, I'm not very aware of any Doom bands around here, the only band I know of that are still here are Destruktor, and they're not even Doom. Most bands who start here end up going to Melbourne or NSW.

EternalOath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:13 pm 

Indianapolis is great for doom, The Gates of Slumber, Coffinworm, Apostle of Solitude, Conjurer and other newer locals

A Corpse Without Soul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:13 pm 

Copenhagen has an alright doom scene, or at least many fans of the genre... We have a small festival too; Heavy Days in Doomtown, but I guess most of the bands playing are foreign. Saturnus (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Saturnus/3540) are a pretty popular metal band in denmark, and they play Doom, but I can't figure out what to think of them. Århus, another bigger city in Denmark, has a monumentally fucking awesome doom metal band, though. I pretty much randomly stumbled upon a gig by them, and got blown away. They're (he's) called Sol (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sol/92840

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:28 pm 

DestruicaoMetalica wrote:
There are some good doom/sludge bands in Massachusetts, and a decent amount of shows as well. I'm not too well acquainted with the scene since it seems like most if not all of the shows are age restricted, but there are definitely some cool bands. The small amount that I know about are Doomriders, Ice Dragon, Forn, Vygr, and my favorite, Magic Circle.

I'm surprised that I apparently saw this thread a while ago and didn't respond to this post, as I am from Massachusetts as well and I'd say our doom/sludge scene is very, very strong.

Probably the biggest doom bands in from the area are Elder and Black Pyramid, though Black Pyramid's drummer recently moved to Georgia (I think) and Darryl and Gein are playing in The Scimitar (basically an offshoot of the Black Pyramid sound, taking their name from Swing the Scimitar). There's also:

-Rozamov (pretty straight-up sludge)
-Olde Growth (bass/drum duo sludge)
-Summoner (psychedelic stoner doom)
-Titanis (Isis-influenced but more in the stoner doom realm, no official recordings yet)
-Birch Hill Dam (Kyuss-y stoner rock/metal)
-Second Grave (trad/kinda epic doom, feat. Gein of Black Pyramid and Krista van Guilder, formerly of Warhorse)
-Faces of Bayon (stoner/funeral hybrid, but more on the stoner side)
-Ichabod (Crowbar/Kyuss-influenced, have been adding psychedelic touches recently)

If we include Rhode Island, there's also Howl (although a bunch of their members live in Texas now), Pilgrim, and Balam. Dunno about the rest of New England.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2