Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fallot
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:22 pm 

Crystal_Logic wrote:
Fallot: Saying there can't be a lyrical quality to rap shows you really don't know anything about the genre. If you don't like it, that's fine. But saying that it isn't an element and comparing it to singing is like saying I don't like death metal so the guitar riffs have no quality, because they don't sound like someone playing chords.

:lol: please take a moment and try to understand. I am talking about music having a lyrical quality, do you understand? I mean, it looks like you dont because of what you said. Did I say there cant be a lyrical quality to rap? No. I said there cant be a lyrical quality to rap as far as music is concerned, because that isnt what rap is about at all. Does rap contain long melodies at the expense of, you know, rapping? No, because that would be ridiculous...

For the other guy: Listen, if you are going to get this butthurt over me thinking slam is garbage that you jump over reading just to reply (get the ANUS halfwit!), or have preconceptions of my ahem... elitism, it would probably be best to use up that valuable time to listen to a new slam album. I recommend Chugga Chugga Bree Skree by Anusfartectomy.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:19 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Crystal_Logic wrote:
I really fail to see where the whole 'wigger' or hip hop connection is coming from...

Well, this is the drummer of Epicardiectomy:
Spoiler: show

This is fairly common in Central/Eastern Europe, where there's an inexplicable splicing of hip-hop culture and brutal death metal.

Also, check out the aesthetics for any of the more ridiculous one-man BDM projects, like E.F.R.O.: http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/E. ... fer/313768

Slam isn't quite as uniformly wiggery as some people might have you believe, but the "skinny white guys trying to look really tough and bangin'" look is pretty telling.

Uh...Wow. I had no idea Epicardiectomy looked like this.

I find this infinitely more interesting than I find it offensive/annoying like many users here. The musical aesthetic of slam death couldn't be further from rap if they tried, yet there's a whole niche of people blending these unusual concepts together. People keep making wigger references - yet I don't recall black people making death metal. Nor do I see any "black elements" outside of the clothes they wear. Nor do I see them saying "nigga" or other words commonly used in the rap genre. Rhythmic pig squeeling is the closest thing to "rap" slam death has, and even that is an extreme far cry from the actual rap genre.

At least Epicardiectomy makes death metal that dwarfs shit that bands like Emmure put out. Wigger aesthetic or no - who cares? I don't think they're sporting it to be trendy. That hilarious 2nd picture looks like he's taking the piss - I have my doubts behind the seriousness of it.

Last edited by t1337Dude on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fallot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:25 pm 

t1337Dude wrote:
yet I don't recall black people making death metal.

...and Terrance Hobbs shed a single tear. Then Caller of the Storms said aw hellz naw!

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:29 pm 

fallot wrote:
t1337Dude wrote:
yet I don't recall black people making death metal.

...and Terrance Hobbs shed a single tear. Then Caller of the Storms said aw hellz naw!

Apologies but I was talking about slam death metal. You know, the subject of the thread? :p

Black people don't typically create slam death, nor is it a common genre for them to perform in. I'm pointing out the ridiculousness of equating the "slam" tag to wiggerdom. As dumb as the aesthetic appears to be, at least it's unique (and uniquely out of place).

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:36 pm 

I absolutely hate the genre, to me it's death metal at its absolute worst. But I respect anyone's opinion on why they like it and can understand the appeal it has to them, just not for me unfortunately.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:44 pm 

Wiggers aren't black by definition...

SadisticGratification
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:48 pm 

Aren't wiggers white by definition, hence the portmanteau of white and......well you know.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:52 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Wiggers aren't black by definition...

Wiggers are white people trying particularly hard to act like black people. Black people don't play slam-death. Therefore, playing slam-death doesn't make you particularly more of a wigger than playing any other genre of metal.

That was an easy deduction, no? :) There's a lot of correlation between slam-death and wiggers (for reasons unknown to me), but playing slam-death and wearing a baseball cap backwards and sweat-shorts doesn't make you a wigger. People just think it does.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:50 pm 

No, fallot, I understand perfectly what you are saying, and I couldn't care less about whether you like slam or not, your comparison to and points on hip hip are just completely and utterly wrong. Not only are you making up definitions (since when does lyricism mean "long melodies" - which, yes, even if wanted to limit it to that arbitrary standard, hip hop still has) and purposefully limiting the scope of hip hop's actual music (by ignoring everything else except the vocals, which are certainly musical themselves), you're reducing hip hop to just some dude talking over a beat, which is the equivalent of someone saying metal is just screaming and banging on guitars - not just factually wrong, but obviously ignorant and completely talking out of your ass based on a cursory grasp and passing familiarity with it. You know why I don't go around talking about klezmer music? Because I would sound like a complete retard if I did.

fallot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:54 pm 

No, you dont understand at all, and are just tripping over yourself trying to score a point because you are butthurt. Please, you have made zero attempt to gain a foothold on anything I have said, you merely repeat it in ways which shows you dont know what it means. Since to you it means nothing , it must be ridiculous, duh. I wont post again in this thread about this, I have made my point. If you want clarification, you can PM me.

Edit: You want to know what (some) rap really has in common with Slam though? Both make you feel like someone in a hoodie is thrusting his nuts in your face repeatedly.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:37 pm 

I enjoy it when I'm in the mood for something heavy, yet catchy and simple. Or to put it in words more easily understandable, when I'm in a silly mood for musical retardation. This mood tends to fall between Mortician or slam-death. If it's the latter, then Epicardiectomy would be my favourite. I also like Waking the Cadaver's first album as well as Katalepsy and Cephalotripsy. I wouldn't really consider myself a fan of slam though, since I only listen to a very small selection (just enough to satisfy those moods).

Edit: Cerebral Incubation too.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:03 pm 

What the fuck? I'm just closing this thread because I don't feel like banning you idiots.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3