Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:59 pm 

Yeah... This band just isn't my thing, I don't think. This new song doesn't sound as bad as the first song did to me, but it still sounded boring at best.

Indecency wrote:
Ahahaha, this thread is so funny. People are acting like Fleshgod was their 10 year long girlfriend who just broke up with them or something.

She's just not the same anymore! :cry: Besides, I'm better off without Fleshgod, she's turned into such an attention whore. Look at the crap she's releasing on youtube.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:26 pm 

OMG PEOPLE DISCUSSING A BAND ON THE MERITS OF WHAT ATTRACTED THEM TO LISTEN TO THEM TO BEGIN WITH AND WHAT THEY ARE NOW DOING. IT'S SO DAMN SILLY!! :scratch: :roll: :nono:

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:06 pm 

Well...at least Minotaur sounds a little bit better than Elegy. Two problems, during the chugging, It is hard to differentiate the Drum kicks and the guitar.

And of course, that spoken word part. It just sounds like a mass of mumbling, I think they just grabbed some scruffy homeless guy and got him to say that part. I'm a master mumbler, and I can't tell what he is saying. Man, Monolith Deathcult got Peter Cullen for one song and I'm pretty sure NB gives a band more of a budget than SoM does.

I'm guessing that gruff 'n' mumble part was Labyrinth's equivalent of the Opera singer.

Boy this album get's more fun after every song... On the plus, I actually could hear guitar in Minotaur
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:00 pm 

Just listened to the new track and I have to say that I like this one a lot more than 'Elegy'. The guitars are heavy and the drums are kinda hypnotic. The symphonic parts were much more akin to what was going on in Agony, that's for sure. Like others have said, the "spoken" part really sucked. Just random mumbling that really didn't add to the song whatsoever. I also noticed that Tomaso's vox sound really jumbled and didn't have that same singalong fashion that was present on songs like 'The Egoism' from the previous album. Also, Cristiano's solos sound watered down compared to just about anything he's done previously. And one thing I loved above all else about Agony was his solos. It's a shame they sound so shitty now.

Overall I have a lukewarm feel to the new album but being an FA fanboy I know I'll buy it no matter what.

Well, that's not uncommon at all. Many people go on 4chan in order to get off.

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:44 pm 

I agree the solo isnt that impressive :(

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:28 am 

Mike_64 wrote:
Overall I have a lukewarm feel to the new album but being an FA fanboy I know I'll buy it no matter what.

Why would you buy an album that is sub par (assuming this album will be) because of the band name attached to it? I guess I could understand it if it was for the sake of completing a collection of a band's discography, but even then... :ugh:

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:44 am 

Gypaetus wrote:
Mike_64 wrote:

Why would you buy an album that is sub par (assuming this album will be) because of the band name attached to it? I guess I could understand it if it was for the sake of completing a collection of a band's discography, but even then... :ugh:

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because nothing else they've done has disappointed me. I also know that all of us are basing our presumptions off of two songs. For all I know, these could be the two worst songs on the album. Just keeping the glass half-full, ya know?

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:19 pm 

Album leaked. Loved it. First thing I gotta say is if you didn't like Agony, Labyrinth isn't some magical fairy that will change your mind about the band. It's the same thing, just different execution.

There's still the blistering fast symphonic songs that you would expect. I feel like there were a few more slower songs which I wasn't too ecstatic about. Minotaur, a slow one, was probably my least favourite song on the album. The album also takes a while to kick in. The first track is a fast one but it takes a while to start up. Minotaur, #2, is slow. Elegy is great. #4 is half slow and half fast, so it's an unneeded slow down. But once it picks up, the rest of the album is rainbows.

For those of you who hated the soaring falsetto vocals, you'll be happy to know most of them are gone (the single Elegy probably had the most). However, there's a catch. For all the guy vocals that are missing, they are replaced by fat lady ultra-vibrato (actually tremolo) opera vocals. I feel like she did a decent job on this record but there's still a few parts where she goes megamode, so much so that you can see the actors on stage in front of you with her standing in the middle with a spotlight on her, wearing loose clothing to hide her weight and her mouth open so wide you could fit a pizza in there. But only a few parts.

There's a bit more melody and rhythm in this album. It doesn't rely as heavily on the ultra speed (although there is a lot of speed and high tempos all around) to keep it going.

The drumming is amazing. Along with the amazing pace and frequent (Lord, so frequent) blast beats he does, he still manages to keep a buttload of variety and diversity in there to make the drums 1 second ago sound different to what they are 1 second ahead.

I *think* the guitars are more audible. Obviously on the fast tracks with the symphonics taking over the melody and with the guitars doing a lot of scale-y stuff, it will be hard to here. But when they're on higher strings or doing something rhythmic or there's a guitar solo or the song slows down or the symphonics take a step back, they're pretty easy to hear.

Verdict? I thought it awesome. Slow start but got right back in it, all the way to the end until the piano outro (which has a build up section that brings in some symphonics and some background bass drum and opera vocals). If you didn't like Agony, I don't see how you could like this one. Production is similar, speed is similar, techniquie is similar. If you liked Agony, I don't see how you couldn't like this one. Sure it's a it more rhythmic and melodic and maybe a touch slower on average, and possibly more darker/epic undertones are opposed to soaring symphonics, but they're still very similar albums.

Get at it.

InfernoxDeath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:26 am 

Found this, and it's really good that probably prove many critics wrong. Critics like, "I can't hear guitars on it..."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaDKpYCgcSY

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:17 pm 

Full album stream

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:22 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:14 pm 

The album is up for streaming on Terrorizer.

http://www.terrorizer.com/news/streams/ ... errorizer/

The Youtube compression being gone has made a massive difference, as this sounds MUCH better than the original uploads of Elegy and Minotaur. That being said, the album is good. It's not as good as Agony, but it's still good.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:33 pm 

Subrick wrote:

The Youtube compression being gone has made a massive difference, as this sounds MUCH better than the original uploads of Elegy and Minotaur. That being said, the album is good. It's not as good as Agony, but it's still good.

I couldn't even listen to Agony. This album is much better in every aspect for me.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:39 pm 

Just reviewed it for Metal-Observer. I dug the shit out of it - and I normally hate this type of crap.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:40 pm 

listened to it about 3 times

clearly the best songs are Minotaur and Elegy

some other songs are great like track 6-7

i find track 10 under black sails quite anoying due to the fem vocals

in general it feels like a rehash of Agony thoo theres some improvments and some folly

its a mixed bag annnd would someone tell that lady to shutup - i may be the only person that thought the vocals on Agony were much less obnoxious

maybe on future listens my opinion will change

all the fluff is extreemly - drawn out and waste of time kinda stuff

im kinda on the fence

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:29 pm 

well
im starting to like it more i still dont like the ladys voice tho lol

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:30 pm 

Subrick i agree its not as good as agony

infact im listing to agony again cus Agony rules :)

Brutality_Junkie
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:43 am 

Subrick wrote:

It's certainly not the pile of shit I was expecting but it's still easily Fleshgod Apocalypse's weakest album to date.

Biggest flaw right off the bat are the downright ATROCIOUS female back-up vocals. I don't know who this woman is but she sounds like a dying giraffe. The actual song structures/progressions aren't much different from 'Agony' but overall the formula feels much less fresh than it did. 'Agony' was a kick in the ass when I first heard it. By comparison, this is more of a gentle pat on the head. It seems a lot slower and more deliberate, which has never been Fleshgod Apocalypse's forte. I'm very glad the drums don't sound thin or plastic like they did in the YouTube singles. Likewise, Tommaso's vocals and the symphonic elements sound crisper...more pronounced.

After an initial listen I'm inclined to give this about 10 points less than I'd give 'Agony'; since 'Agony' is a 86 - 87, 'Labyrinth' is a 76 - 77. Not bad, not bad indeed. Still no match for SepticFlesh or Scrambled Defuncts though. Maybe Fleshgod's next foray into symphonic death metal will be the masterpiece they've been trying to make.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:53 am 

Pathfinder's my favorite song on the album. It's just a churning death metal song with well done symphonics. I love it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:00 am 

I gave it a listen. I don't know what the hell you guys hear in this type of music. It's a gusty fart of overdone symphonic and bloated metal.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:20 am 

Biggest flaw right off the bat are the downright ATROCIOUS female back-up vocals.

i actuly enjoy the album

but yeah wtf were they thinking with the fem vocals

to anyone who thought Agony had bad vocals, common this is wayyyy worse!

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:50 am 

The backing female vocals are about the last thing I would take umbrage with. All of the unnecessarily bombastic and self-indulgent elements others and myself didn't care for on Agony are not only still present as expected but even more pronounced, and hardly what I'd consider refined at that. The orchestra doesn't even remotely sound like its playing along to the same songs most of the time. Perhaps that's the intention, the whole Labyrinth theme and all, but it's an even greater distraction considering how dominant in the mix it is in the first place. There's obviously a bit of talent between all the parties involved, but so little of it comes together with any coherence.

Alright, Francesco Paoli's quite a relentless drummer and undoubtedly the standout bandmember, I'll give him credit for that. Doesn't add or take away anything in regards to his creativity or technicality, but there's no question he's the driving force and should be the focal point of FGA from now on. It would almost be a blessing for a little bit of that ego to take hold when the next album starts to take shape.

Well, to whoever digs this sort of thing, good on ya I suppose. Just seems like what could have been a fascinating concept on paper got loose from the laboratory in its execution for the sake of novelty and is now flailing around town in its not-so-formfitting tuxedo. Perhaps this kind of material comes off better in a live setting, but I wouldn't gamble on it for this tour - and I'm not even much of an Arsis fan to begin with to say nothing of Wintersun.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:49 pm 

This is bombastic and epic as FUCK. I like it, probably because I eat up everything that can be applied the label of "brutal and melodic" on it. I like the whole "romantic music that sounds like the world is falling apart" shit. And holy fuck, the last track "Labyrinth" is so fucking good it is not even funny.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:35 am 

Not as bad as I was expecting. I agree that Pathfinder was easily the coolest track on the album. Vocals overall were much improved compared to Agony. Agony had sort of underwhelming vocals in some parts while the shouts and and growls on Labyrinth were more crisp. Unfortunately, FA decided having an opera singer more present on the album was a good idea. It isn't. The few parts on where she was present on Agony were completely necessary and added an awesome effect the times they were used. But here, they just don't feel right. It sounds like they brought her in to just shout over the parts without Tomaso's vox and be as loud and annoying as possible. Maybe I'll "get it" more as I keep listening to it. Guitars *seemed* more audible compared to Agony but there's still plenty of times where you can't hear it. In Addition, Cristiano's solos were nearly as good as Agony but fall short. I said in this thread that Elegy and Minotaur may just be the weakest songs on the album and it turns out I was right, at least when discussing the guitar solos. He does some really cool stuff and showed that he didn't use up all the creativity in his leads on Agony. The Drumming was absolutely perfect and relentless; as expected from Francesco. Bass = Inaudible. Period. Symphonics/Orchestra/Whatever were darker and blanketed the entire album with a dark, epic atmosphere and stays true to what was done on Agony. I did somewhat miss Paolo's clean vocals since that was a definite highlight on Agony. On Labyrinth, they don't seem to be nearly as catchy and soaring on previous releases.

Anyway, this is my first listen impression and will most likely will change once I get the album and give it multiple spins. If I had to rate it right now, I'd give it somewhere in the range of 75-79.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:23 pm 

Terrible, terrible album. Worst, most flat mix I've heard. Worst than Agony. Non-existent songwriting. Incredibly grating female operatic vocals (Seriously, her vocals are probably the most terrible vocals I've heard on a metal album in forever). It's like the person who mixed this had no ears. Anyways, after one listen, I'm done with this. I have no desire to come back to it at all. Stupid, stupid NB modern metal.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:06 pm 

so thats 4 of us who think Agony was alot better

i have to agree

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:12 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Terrible, terrible album. Worst, most flat mix I've heard. Worst than Agony. Non-existent songwriting. Incredibly grating female operatic vocals (Seriously, her vocals are probably the most terrible vocals I've heard on a metal album in forever). It's like the person who mixed this had no ears. Anyways, after one listen, I'm done with this. I have no desire to come back to it at all. Stupid, stupid NB modern metal.

This. I decided to check it out and I had to stop it after 5 songs. You basically hate what metal is if you consider this album a great one. It's the most pitiful and asinine music a "death" metal can decide to play, Septic Flesh is laughing at their faces while they mimic Shagrath's desire to be a rockstar.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:18 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

This. I decided to check it out and I had to stop it after 5 songs. You basically hate what metal is if you consider this album a great one. It's the most pitiful and asinine music a "death" metal can decide to play, Septic Flesh is laughing at their faces while they mimic Shagrath's desire to be a rockstar.

Honest question from someone who hates this, do either of you get the appeal with the overdone symphonics? It literally sounds like a Disney / movie soundtrack thrown into a Kraft cheese factory. Overblown, unnecessary, incompatible, and retarded. The metal itself is stringent wank that assaults the ears without restraint. How far does one have to "evolve" their taste in order to even appreciate anything resembling... this?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:31 pm 

I rather like stuff like Septic Flesh's Communion and the Great Mass. But those albums have actual songs, and the strings aren't overblown, overly compressed bullshit. This stuff is just asinine wank.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:54 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Whatever you say, buddy. :roll:

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:02 pm 

Mike_64 wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

These are probably the most cookie cutter metal symphonics I have ever heard. Unmemorable, annoying, ear grating tripe. Probably the first time I got a headache while listening to music.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:08 pm 

Yeahh, Labyrinth is pretty mediocre... Is it more mediocre than Agony? Maybe, maybe not. All I know is, once they started doing those operatic vocals I really lost hope for anything good by them

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:54 pm 

Mike_64 wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

This answer is the intellectual equivalent of their music.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:01 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I rather like stuff like Septic Flesh's Communion and the Great Mass. But those albums have actual songs, and the strings aren't overblown, overly compressed bullshit. This stuff is just asinine wank.

My feelings exactly. (You're welcome in advance for the creative input.)

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:28 pm 

I enjoyed it. I loved the overblown bullshit of it. It was pure cheese and I gobbled all of it.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:29 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Honest question from someone who hates this, do either of you get the appeal with the overdone symphonics?

Basically: metalheads have no experience with actual classical music and are utterly amazed by just about anything classical-influenced when the classical is placed into a metal-centric context that metalheads can more easily relate to.

It's a shame that shit like Fleshgod Apocalypse is what people expect from metal + classical when even that's been done in a way that isn't totally half-assed:

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:34 pm 

that's my least favorite thing in the world - when metalheads talk about classical and metal.

I talked about that in my review - the "symphony" is used the exact same way a symphony setting on a keyboard would be used - mostly as a singular unit, rather than an actual composition. it's quite literally the opposite of classical/symphonic - it's just another studio sound.

Like I said, I hate almost every element that went into this - yet somehow still enjoyed it.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:31 pm 

Sort of like if you have some sort of piano interlude or someshit. People go crazy. Granted, I do like the piano pieces at the end of the Fleshgod albums, they aren't something to go gaga over.

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
I talked about that in my review - the "symphony" is used the exact same way a symphony setting on a keyboard would be used - mostly as a singular unit, rather than an actual composition. it's quite literally the opposite of classical/symphonic - it's just another studio sound.

Totally agreed. The thing about Fleshgod's keyboards is that it sounds like they just used a mess of instruments for each key. Keyboard symphonics done wrong they don't blend, they mix and smear and battle for who is the dominant flavor. Keyboard symphonics done right? Enid's Munsalvaesche.

I think that I'll just continue masturbating to Haggard.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Mike_64
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:51 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
This answer is the intellectual equivalent of their music.

Jesus, we get it. You didn't like the album. But typing that ridiculous statement just screams trve kvlt 666 teenager. "Real Metalheads" couldn't possibly like Albums like Labyrinth and Oracles!

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:32 pm 

Mike_64 wrote:
Jesus, we get it. You didn't like the album. But typing that ridiculous statement just screams trve kvlt 666 teenager. "Real Metalheads" couldn't possibly like Albums like Labyrinth and Oracles!

A-fucking-men.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next