Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
bristleposh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:53 am 

I must ask why my last post was locked after just one reply, was it so offensive to mention the name Bon Jovi. It is not what they have become , but what they were, back in the eighties one of the major concerts was Donington Monsters of Rock, Iw as there the year that ZZ Top headlined, and were supported by Metallica, Ratt, Magnum (who opened), one band who's name escapes me, and third on the bill were Bon Jovi.
I know there is a lot of snobism in music, but denounce a band to be like One Direction is a nonsense. The genre started back in the sixties and having had an early copy of NIB and The Sabbath album with the church scene/naked lady image on the cover. I realise that there have been many different branches, the classic three guitars drums and vocal, seems to have long since past, and I detect more and more symphonic instrumentation in metal especially the gothic variety. I personally would prefer to listen to bands like Green Day and Blink 182, than some of the doom stuff that passes muster with some of todays younger generation.
Another generation of metal that seems to be totally ignored in this encyclopaedia is Hair or Sleaze Metal, where are bands like Motley Crue, Poison, Faster Pussycat etc. When I was 13 I went to see a concert featuring Screaming Lord Sutch and the Savages, I would suggest that that was more or less the beginning of Heavy Metal, and there was a band from England called The Pretty Things out at about the same time as The Beatles.
Anyone on this forum aware of any of the early stuff I speak of...

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:06 am 

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64985

You won't get anywhere claiming fucking Meat Loaf is metal though, buddy.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:06 am 

Marillion was the band who you missed. A simple Wikipedia search brings up Monsters of Rock 1985.
Also, Motley Crue are here, based on their early albums.
Anyway, this subject comes up all the time. The simple reason is that the founders of the site have drawn a line as to what they believe is metal, and what isn't. I don't agree with it personally, and many others don't either. As a point of reference, if bands like Saracen can be considered metal, then Magnum from the same era should be also. There are a lot of inconsistencies here, but that's often down to arbitrary decisions by the founders and moderators.
The feeling about glam and sleaze metal is that these albums, though labelled as metal, don't have the same characteristic sound that other metal genres have. As such, they are excluded from these pages. You might feel different, and that is your prerogative, but your opinion won't change the way this site is run.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

bristleposh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:17 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Marillion was the band who you missed. A simple Wikipedia search brings up Monsters of Rock 1985.
Also, Motley Crue are here, based on their early albums.
Anyway, this subject comes up all the time. The simple reason is that the founders of the site have drawn a line as to what they believe is metal, and what isn't. I don't agree with it personally, and many others don't either. As a point of reference, if bands like Saracen can be considered metal, then Magnum from the same era should be also. There are a lot of inconsistencies here, but that's often down to arbitrary decisions by the founders and moderators.
The feeling about glam and sleaze metal is that these albums, though labelled as metal, don't have the same characteristic sound that other metal genres have. As such, they are excluded from these pages. You might feel different, and that is your prerogative, but your opinion won't change the way this site is run.

Clarity, Marillion I remember, I won a competition to see them at a local concert theatre, in answer to the other guy Bat Out Of Hell the title track at least was what metal is all about, he was perhaps (well Jim Steinman at least) was the first to bring Wagnerian music into metal without which I doubt bands would have done the classical crossover a la Nightwish and countless others.
As I say we are all different and tastes vary the world over for the moment my bag is listening to the ballads of Scorpions, Helloween, Doro, and Axel. Must be getting old. Keep rocking

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:32 am 

bristleposh wrote:
Bat Out Of Hell the title track at least was what metal is all about...

If by "metal" you mean "REO Speedwagon" or "Bryan Adams"...

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:50 am 

I like Bon Jovi. But calling them 'metal' is stretching genre definitions beyond breaking point.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

bristleposh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:02 am 

I'm sure a lot of you are missing my point, I like ballads as I mentioned. If you compare A Tout Le Monde by Megadeth, Still Loving You by Scorpions, Every Rose Has A Thorn by Poison, Blaze Of Glory by Bon Jovi, I would quite happily listen to all. It is a matter of taste, so call it what you will, for further proof of my possible lack of taste I also like Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls, Drops Of Jupiter by Train, Face Down by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day. If its good I'll listen to it, but I don't like dance music or rap with a capital C.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:13 am 

It basically sounds like you're a stick in the mud old man who likes really shitty MOR power ballads and little else. I'm sure there's a "I miss bad guitar music made BACK IN THE DAY" forum that you'd be far more suited to then a forum like this.

Also, just because you're 20 years older doesn't mean you're any wiser, far from it in fact (re: meatloaf. Wagnerian? fuck off.)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:15 am 

bristleposh wrote:
I'm sure a lot of you are missing my point, I like ballads as I mentioned. If you compare A Tout Le Monde by Megadeth, Still Loving You by Scorpions, Every Rose Has A Thorn by Poison, Blaze Of Glory by Bon Jovi, I would quite happily listen to all.

Except metal isn't centered around ballads.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:36 am 

bristleposh wrote:
I'm sure a lot of you are missing my point, I like ballads as I mentioned. If you compare A Tout Le Monde by Megadeth, Still Loving You by Scorpions, Every Rose Has A Thorn by Poison, Blaze Of Glory by Bon Jovi, I would quite happily listen to all. It is a matter of taste, so call it what you will, for further proof of my possible lack of taste I also like Iris by The Goo Goo Dolls, Drops Of Jupiter by Train, Face Down by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day. If its good I'll listen to it, but I don't like dance music or rap with a capital C.

Quote:
If its good I'll listen to it, but I don't like dance music or rap with a capital C

But....I mean....What about.....

Hmmph.

bristleposh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:52 am 

caspian wrote:
It basically sounds like you're a stick in the mud old man who likes really shitty MOR power ballads and little else. I'm sure there's a "I miss bad guitar music made BACK IN THE DAY" forum that you'd be far more suited to then a forum like this.

Also, just because you're 20 years older doesn't mean you're any wiser, far from it in fact (re: meatloaf. Wagnerian? fuck off.)

I bow to your superior knowledge, I note you come from a land that have given us INXS, neighbours and Rolf Harris, and don't get me started on bloody Fosters.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:53 am 

Hahaha, there's a reason us Aussies ship out Fosters to everyone else. You will not find a bar here that stocks it, let alone has it on tap.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:56 am 

bristleposh wrote:
I bow to your superior knowledge, I note you come from a land that have given us INXS, neighbours and Rolf Harris, and don't get me started on bloody Fosters.

coming from the land of bay city rollers, coronation street and spice girls? ;)

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

bristleposh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:57 am 

Terri23 wrote:
Hahaha, there's a reason us Aussies ship out Fosters to everyone else. You will not find a bar here that stocks it, let alone has it on tap.

A bit like Belgians getting rid of all their crap like Stella, they keep all the Trappist beer for themselves

bristleposh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:17 am 

caspian wrote:
bristleposh wrote:

coming from the land of bay city rollers, coronation street and spice girls? ;)

Guilty as charged with Corrie and the Spice girls, but accept no responsibility for the BCR who were a bunch of Sweaties from north of the border

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:19 am 

And at this point, I'm assuming you're not even interested in trying to debate your original opinion anymore?

bristleposh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:42 am 

Wilytank wrote:
And at this point, I'm assuming you're not even interested in trying to debate your original opinion anymore?

There was nothing more to say, I said what I had to say in my first post I was immediately put in my place as a stick in the mud old man who likes MOR ballads. Fair play. I still think a lot of people are missing out on a lot of good music by being too insular in their tastes

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:47 am 

A lot of that music you listed IS good, but it's not metal, so it won't be on here. That doesn't affect its quality though and for the life of me I don't get how so many idiots don't get that. Metalness =/= quality, people!

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:57 am 

bristleposh wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

There was nothing more to say, I said what I had to say in my first post I was immediately put in my place as a stick in the mud old man who likes MOR ballads. Fair play. I still think a lot of people are missing out on a lot of good music by being too insular in their tastes

Except this isn't a discussion on what people listen to. It's a discussion on what is and isn't metal enough to be on MA. Nobody says "Well Magnum isn't on MA, so I won't listen to them." You'd be hard-pressed to find a single person on here who only listens to metal.

Also, I can say with a fair degree of confidence that my taste in music is far broader than yours; if nothing else, at least I don't pull that lame old "rap is missing a c" joke. Not trying to make this into a stupid "open mindedness" pissing contest, just saying that liking more genres than metal doesn't make you somehow wiser about music in general.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:01 am 

Empyreal wrote:
A lot of that music you listed IS good, but it's not metal, so it won't be on here. That doesn't affect its quality though and for the life of me I don't get how so many idiots don't get that. Metalness =/= quality, people!

The mod's could learn this also. Just because you like it, doesn't make it metal. Just because it sucks...it's probably metal.

The_Beast_in_Black
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:05 am 

The mods allow all sorts of absolutely atrocious bands on MA. It's got nothing to do with personal preference.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:08 am 

People really just care too much about what gets on the site and what doesn't. Seems pretty stupid to me really. Is it that much of a travesty that one or two bands aren't on here? Go use wikipedia or something instead; jesus.

Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:16 am 

I think it's also really important for people to keep in mind that just because some non-metal bands influenced metal artists, that doesn't automatically give them a free pass. Just because Kiss influenced Scott Ian, that doesn't mean they're metal by default. And like Empyreal said, not being metal doesn't make them "unworthy" or bad. Lots of people here enjoy those bands the OP listed, but they're still not metal. Being on MA shouldn't be thought of as a badge of honor, but rather as a useful tool to help promote a band that has a legitimate claim to being here.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:18 am 

Empyreal wrote:
People really just care too much about what gets on the site and what doesn't. Seems pretty stupid to me really. Is it that much of a travesty that one or two bands aren't on here? Go use wikipedia or something instead; jesus.

It's always going to be this way, I guess. The mods and owners care too, otherwise they wouldn't reject so many bands. That said, someone has to make these calls and they've built an amazing place, even though I would personally kick a few bands and add a few that aren't here.

bristleposh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:21 am 

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
just saying that liking more genres than metal doesn't make you somehow wiser about music in general.

...and where exactly did I make that assumption. There must be a difference in the languages of English and English Oz. I said and always do say I have varied tastes and am learning new things all the time. The day before yesterday I managed to find two tracks by Slipknot that I actually like having previously denounced them as rubbish. Today I even discovered that the singer was also in Stone Sour, now I did like them, well at least a few of their slower tracks.
Wiki is my other port of call when I'm struggling, but it doesn't have the same speed of discovering individual tracks as MA does.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:22 am 

Empyreal wrote:

[/thread].

Still, I can understand that many people outside regular users see MA as a reference to find and even discern what's metal is or not, since it's the best page in terms of metal information available.

(and Whitesnake's 1987 album IS metal!)

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:12 pm 

Spoiler: show
Bovine Joni

Why is this not locked?

bristleposh wrote:
When I was 13 I went to see a concert featuring Screaming Lord Sutch and the Savages, I would suggest that that was more or less the beginning of Heavy Metal, and there was a band from England called The Pretty Things out at about the same time as The Beatles.
Anyone on this forum aware of any of the early stuff I speak of...

I am aware of Lord Sutch but heavy metal he is not. That's more shock rock along the lines of Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:12 pm 

I like Taylor Swift a lot more than Children Of Bodom, but you don't see me bitching about why one is on MA and the other isn't. Why on earth it even matters to some people is something I'll never understand. If you disagree about what is metal and what is not, how about starting your own fucking encyclopedia?

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:14 pm 

You have your answer hidden somewhere in here, OP. The bands you mentioned are not metal by this site's standards. That doesn't mean they are not metal in your mind, In Swansea, or in the My Little Pony universe. Think about them how you wish, but they are not getting in.
Kveldulfr wrote:
(and Whitesnake's 1987 album IS metal!)

"Crying in the Rain" and "Still of the Night", yes, but the rest in not.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.