Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:43 am 

I just listened to the new song... I tend to agree with most here that yea it sounds like Broken Hope to a degree but it's lacking. It's missing that Griffin tech in the song. The groove does sound like Wagner to me though. I am really not seeing how anyone can came this is brutal though or trying to be like brutal death metal.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:27 am 

Two listen from now and sounds good to me.

Classic Broken Hope brutal death verbo, like very much the lead and the vocals. Right, not Joe Ptacek :bow: , but the new one works good and at least in Joe's way.

Hope the level of the rest of the album are like this track.

Brutal the classic way :metal:

"You make it easy."

slayrrr666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:21 pm 

The general consensus gets one more vote, sounds like good BDM but not that traditional sense of technicality in the riffing as it seemed to chug rather than fly off in the realm of brutality. However, I love the vocals, deep and gutteral and certainly evocative of the overall sound of the music being performed so I don't really mind the change.

Now, if we can get a second song off this maybe then we'll know where it's heading.

i don't consider gordon ramsay to be a chef, because i haven't been to his restaurants, and i'm not interested in his food

~Guest 294409
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:50 pm 

I enjoyed the song. I'm not a broken hope fan by any degree but I'm most likely going to pick this up.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:08 am 

Ah, sure enough. I was worried the vocals would ruin this for me and they do. Oh well. I can probably still get some enjoyment out of it.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:03 am 

I can get past the vocals. The tour is a rather strange lineup. Disgorge hasnt done anything in years and Necronomicon really dont do anything for me. Curious about the new Deicide, as everyone wrote something, though I dont like To Hell with God as much as I did at first, particularly jacks songs.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:42 pm 

My first thought was, "Well, they all either have new albums out or are about to be to support," but Deicide still hasn't finished recording yet (they started in January, mind you) and it likely won't be out until next year at any rate. I can't foresee them playing anything new on this tour, but who knows. As for Disgorge, their new one has been thrown around since, what, late 2011? I don't even think they've even begun recording yet as they've been touring/hitting the fest circuit everywhere but in the states between what feels like bandmember changes every few months, and neither them nor Unique Leader has given any real indication that it's forthcoming.

Fuck it, the new Pyrexia will likely be better than what at least half of this bill is releasing, anyway.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:36 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
My first thought was, "Well, they all either have new albums out or are about to be to support," but Deicide still hasn't finished recording yet (they started in January, mind you) and it likely won't be out until next year at any rate. I can't foresee them playing anything new on this tour, but who knows. As for Disgorge, their new one has been thrown around since, what, late 2011? I don't even think they've even begun recording yet as they've been touring/hitting the fest circuit everywhere but in the states between what feels like bandmember changes every few months, and neither them nor Unique Leader has given any real indication that it's forthcoming.

Fuck it, the new Pyrexia will likely be better than what at least half of this bill is releasing, anyway.

They havent been recording the whole time. They did a few tours in Europe. But saying it'll have "brutal lyrics" just sounds goofy. Glen hasnt written good lyrics for a very long time.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:21 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
ModusOperandi wrote:

They havent been recording the whole time. They did a few tours in Europe. But saying it'll have "brutal lyrics" just sounds goofy. Glen hasnt written good lyrics for a very long time.

Glen and Steve hasnt written good music for a very long time :-P

"You make it easy."

~Guest 294409
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:03 pm 

they just released a new song for free download.
Here's the link: http://www.centurymedia.com/specials/brokenhope/
I really liked the song, and I'm definitely looking forward to this album now.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:48 pm 

Surprised that I liked that as much as I did. It starts out in a kind of "generic Unique Leader band" way, but as it slows down it actually sounds really good. And I never thought I'd say this about a Broken Hope song, but the part with the keyboards was pretty bad ass. The vocalist needs to chill out and let the music breathe, though.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:15 am 

For those who don't want to download the track, you can stream it here:

This song is relatively more intense than the previously released one. I didn't quite fancy the beginning but the song takes a great turn at 1:54 with the keys...almost doomy.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:22 am 

CD, DIGIPACK w/DVD, SPECIAL BUNDLES, BONUS TRACKS, VINYL VERSION, ALTERANTE COVER ART

Sounds interesting, especially the alt cover

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:06 am 

http://www.cmdistro.de/Item/Broken_Hope ... P-CD-/1641

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:27 am 

I like both covers, this newer song I'm liking more than the other one.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:33 am 

Ah alternate cover for vinyl? I still prefer the older one for being more impactful.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:55 am 

Tracklist:

01. Septic Premonitions (Intro) (01:18)
02. Womb Of Horrors (03:09)
03. Ghastly (02:43)
04. The Flesh Mechanic (02:32)
05. Rendered Into Lard (03:52)
06. Omen Of Disease (04:16)
07. The Docking Dead (02:01)
08. Give Me The Bottom Half (03:06)
09. Predacious Poltergeist (02:37)
10. Blood Gullet (01:40)
11. Carnage Genesis (02:38)
12. Choked Out And Castrated (03:39)
13. Incinerated (2013 Redux) (02:29)
14. Grindbox (Live In San Francisco) (03:05)
15. He Was Raped (Live In San Francisco) (05:20)

and a new track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xfN_wY0Ag4

"You make it easy."

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:04 am 

Pre ordered the LP/CD package. White vinyl so awesome.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:23 am 

Looks like the cd or digipack has a slipcase, judging by the video. Not sure why, since theyre usually used to censor artwork, but its not like this will be at Best Buy.

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:33 am 

same idea as cannibal corpse had. If its that way its nice indeed.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:35 pm 

You can stream the entire new album on Soundcloud now

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/broken-hope-entire-omen-of-disease-album-available-for-streaming

SwampSlimer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:04 am 

Thus far, it sounds like some generic brutal death band imitating Broken Hope, instead of Broken Hope themselves. The loss of Ptacek and Griffin really hurts them.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:06 am 

It doesn't really sound like Broken Hope, it's cool, but yeah.
The last track was good I must say.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:06 am 

I think it's Broken Hope trademark. Right, there's no Joe and Brian, but it's a good work enough for me.

In any case nowdays there's just them or Suffocation who playing "brutal death metal the old way" in this shit's sea of slamming and ultra technical wankers. :finger:

"You make it easy."

Marmer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:29 am 

It has arrived... Damn nice.

SwampSlimer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:36 am 

I'm really liking the cover art, maybe more so than the actual music. A much needed improvement over the piece of crap that was the art for Grotesque Blessings. That vinyl cover :drool:

Broken Hope is a band that has definitely grown on me over time, though, so perhaps I'll appreciate this album more in the future.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:54 am 

Eh, I wanted to like this, but I feel like I may have just listened to the same song 12 times in a row. The ending of "Rendered Into Lard" was hilarious, and the new version of incinerated benefited somewhat from the new vocalists layering/slurring at points. However, as it's been said a million times already, this isn't even Broken Hope anymore without Joe or Brian, just typical boring modern death metal.

SwampSlimer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:58 am 

I always thought that this song on Loathing was perfectly titled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdYyLmNqsl4

A Window to Hell, indeed.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:57 am 

Yeah, don't judge this book by its cover. Love the artwork as I've mentioned earlier but none of the songs make me want to pay attention to them. At best, I can say that I can to listen to the songs 'Docking Dead' and 'Womb of horrors' again but I really wouldn't want to.

Wrldeatr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:28 pm 

I wasn't expecting much, but there are some fantastic songs on Omen. Very good album overall.

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:09 am 

I have to say, I really am digging this one. I wasn't expecting much...but Omen Of Disease is a fun record. Sounds like their first two records, but with better production. My only complaints are the vocals could be a touch deeper, I don't like the high pitched vocals on "Rendered To Lard" and I hate the stupid sample that closes that song. The singer also needs to shut the fuck up every once in a while and let the riffs breathe...but this is a common complaint I have with DM albums these days.

Also, the 0% review currently on the homepage is a joke. My facebook friends and I are actually laughing at what a dork that reviewer is. Most of the feedback I'm seeing for this album online is positive.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:36 am 

^ Haha, my guess of that reviewer being bitterman turned out to be correct.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:29 pm 

Certainly not a 0% album at all, a decent return to music making. Never been into Broken Hope, saw them at MDF still wasnt too impressed but since then ive been listening to some of their stuff, specifically Swamped in Gore and The bowels... Got the digipack earlier this week, for some reason was discounted 33%. The DVD is actually awesome for a broken hope newbie, pretty much all narrated through old interviews and goes through the whole history of Broken Hope, with some nice early footage and interviews. More bands should do this just to get all the fans that wernt around in the early days an idea of how the band progressed.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:04 am 

Listened to some of it with the lyrics and it's just like Malignancy, where you still can't understand the vocals when trying to read along.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2