Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:50 pm 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
Elitists will always be assholes, just ignore them and remember in the great circle of Metal they serve a great purpose... just don't take recommendations from them, or everything you listen to will sound like early Bathory and Blasphemy :P

:nono:

I was talking to this kid the other day about Death Metal since it was brought up in conversation. All he could do was name drop generic Metalcore bands to which I kept informing him, no that isn't Death Metal what the fuck are you doing. As soon he mentioned Suicide Silence I just got up and left. I honestly don't care if you listen to Metalcore but have a fucking sense about what Metal is outside of the tshirt rack at Hot Topic.

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:51 pm 

caspian wrote:
I'm too busy getting manowar tattoos to bash posers.

You couldn't get a tattoo of a non-shit band :-P

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

ChaosGoatKills
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:13 pm 

Veracs wrote:
caspian wrote:
I'm too busy getting manowar tattoos to bash posers.

You couldn't get a tattoo of a non-shit band :-P

The only time I've ever heard an adult call another adult a poser is when the latter talks shit on Manowar. Just sayin'.

Edit: Roll immaturity for POST 69!

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:18 pm 

Because talking shit on Manowar is the mark of the poser
and to be bashed, that's the fate of the poser
to leave the hall, for that's the fate of all posers

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:51 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
To everyone acting like only children would discuss how our subculture is affected by these 'false' metal offshoots: admit it, when you respond 'heavy metal' when asked what music you listen to and people say 'oh, like Lordi?' a kitten dies slowly somewhere within your hearts.

This actually makes me think not for the first time that things are a little different over here. All -core stuff doesn't seem to be nearly as popular as I see people on the internet say it is, and for most people who don't really have a clue metal = SATANISM!!!1 If you mention metal, the likely first thoughts are most likely gonna be Metallica or Iron Maiden, or if someone thinks the above, then probably Behemoth.

FengisRipRider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:29 pm 

If you took away any possibility of fame, or financial gain from heavy metal then that is the only way you could get rid of the "posers". As for whether I care if someone is a poser or not, well I really don't have the time to worry about them and mostly ignore their antics.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:53 pm 

iAm wrote:
HeySharpshooter wrote:
Elitists will always be assholes, just ignore them and remember in the great circle of Metal they serve a great purpose... just don't take recommendations from them, or everything you listen to will sound like early Bathory and Blasphemy :P

:nono:

I was talking to this kid the other day about Death Metal since it was brought up in conversation. All he could do was name drop generic Metalcore bands to which I kept informing him, no that isn't Death Metal what the fuck are you doing. As soon he mentioned Suicide Silence I just got up and left. I honestly don't care if you listen to Metalcore but have a fucking sense about what Metal is outside of the tshirt rack at Hot Topic.

Why do you even care?

Everyone has to start somewhere... you didn't start with Demilich, Incantation and Ritual Deathro Multcourt of Danmnancy and Blasphemy. I didn't. He surely won't either. But acting like a big jerk to some kid who likes shitty Mallcore but might be interested in expanding his horizion because he doesn't "have a fucking sense about what Metal is outside of a tshirt rack at Hot Topic" is utterly ridiculous.

Everybody starts somewhere, and most "elitists" in this modern day and age are so far removed from the origins of Metal that they likely started with shit too, and were helped along the way by friends and family who didn't walk away from them because they were listening to garbage Metal.

Just my two sense...

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:12 pm 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
Just my two cents...

There you go.

A bit of hostility in this thread I see. I don't think it's very cool to have that superiority attitude to people that listen to metal/deathcore either. There's a better way to go about handling a lack of understanding than just cracking it with people. You could just say something like, ''those bands aren't actually death metal, but if you want to get into it, check out Obituary from Florida, or some early to mid Morbid Angel albums''.

Obituary is so good for newcomers to death metal to start out on, I'd always recommend them if possible. But either way Iam it's up to you how you act mate, I just didn't think that was very cool to read.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:15 pm 

heavy metal is musical asperger's, all genres of it

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:16 pm 

So considering that at least 90% of the people here are all "nah mang, the notion of good music is just like, your opinion" and that seems to be the common consensus, can we move on from people crying about elitists? It honestly seems like people are whinging about them at least 1000x more than anyone is "bashing posers".

Indeed, has becoming an unabashed bad music fan become the new standard here at MA? Between this thread and that godawful "Pretentious Metalheads" one, it looks like it has :( To sum it up, I miss Nightgaunt.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:26 pm 

Because elitists are often just plain fucking annoying far more than "posers". It's not about those who just stick to the kind of music they like, it's about those that will actively go out of their way to be annoying to those who dare like something else.

caspian

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:31 pm 

I think you missed my point. My point being: there aren't really any elitists here. It's full of people raging about them, and maybe 3 or 4 people going "well hey hang on a bit" but even they're being pretty civil about the whole thing. So there's a bunch of "My favourite band got a negative review and I'm ANGRY" people getting sand in their vaginas over something that is basically non existent.

It's like people raging about, I dunno, the Prussians being dicks or something. Sand in vag, "WERE OPPRESSED" whinging for the sake of it when all the evidence points out that it just isn't happening. Such a bummer seeing this whole 'fuck the haterz' mentality invade MA..

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:52 pm 

A quick look at the Review forum and plenty of threads in the Suggestion Forum will tell you that Caspian is right. Outside of some try too hard dudes like Veracs or Vengefulgoat, MA is quite soft on elitism these days for better or for worse!

Nonetheless, I can't believe iAm is getting some shit for what he said! It's not about being a poser, it's about being misinformed. Maybe he didn't have the most polite attitude but during some conversations I had with casual fans, it's hard to explain some things and they often think you're a pedantic ass when you tell them Killswitch Engage is not death metal.

I think the root of it all is the fact we're passionate for metal and just like everything else, we like to share that and we meet people who are less interested/passionate or simply casual fans and that can cause some friction. It's also about having the right attitude and this concerns both sides. I personally like to talk about anything with someone more informed than me and I'm not arrogant about things I don't know. It's like with everything, just don't be an asshole. You don't need to explain why you hate Ghost so much in 30 minutes when someone tells you they like them.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:54 pm 

absurder21 wrote:
their just as annoying their

caspian wrote:
can we move on from people crying about elitists? It honestly seems like people are whinging about them at least 1000x more than anyone is "bashing posers".

This.

I'm sick of being persecuted by these goddamn crybaby posers. :(

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 pm 

caspian wrote:
I think you missed my point. My point being: there aren't really any elitists here. It's full of people raging about them, and maybe 3 or 4 people going "well hey hang on a bit" but even they're being pretty civil about the whole thing. So there's a bunch of "My favourite band got a negative review and I'm ANGRY" people getting sand in their vaginas over something that is basically non existent.

It's like people raging about, I dunno, the Prussians being dicks or something. Sand in vag, "WERE OPPRESSED" whinging for the sake of it when all the evidence points out that it just isn't happening. Such a bummer seeing this whole 'fuck the haterz' mentality invade MA..

Well I wasn't talking about MA specifically. As for MA itself, it's not really present in the forums from what I see, but happens in reviews. I'll just say "Kruel" and that's probably all that needs to be said, but every now and then someone else writes something similar to what he did.

Outside of MA however, there's a fuckton of elitists, and they really are annoying.

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:41 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Nonetheless, I can't believe iAm is getting some shit for what he said! It's not about being a poser, it's about being misinformed. Maybe he didn't have the most polite attitude

Well, to be fair only two people responded to IAm's post, myself being one of those people, and he hasn't really received any 'shit' about it. To suggest that is a bit dramatic. The other guy used a bit of language in his post, though I believe it was justified, considering the fact that it wasn't a case of him ''maybe having the most polite attitude'' as you put it, but he was just clearly rude to the other guy.

Nothing against Iam or yourself, but there are people out there that if you are rude to them, they'll fucking go you for it. That's just how life is to be honest with you. If you're going to have some kind of superiority deal with people, you'd better choose who you use it with or know how to fight. These days even little things can push people right over the god damn edge you know. I'm a pretty tolerant guy, but just from working different jobs I've seen how people can turn in an instant when some rude fuck rocks their boat. (And that behavior can certainly be justified. Some people need a good belting)

caspian

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:08 pm 

TheLiberation wrote:
Well I wasn't talking about MA specifically. As for MA itself, it's not really present in the forums from what I see, but happens in reviews. I'll just say "Kruel" and that's probably all that needs to be said, but every now and then someone else writes something similar to what he did.

Outside of MA however, there's a fuckton of elitists, and they really are annoying.

Citing a reviewer that no one has ever expressed any fondness of, and then throwing out a pointless sentence. Nice work!

Baldrs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:13 pm 

Whats with the sensitivity on this board? that's just his opinion and it isn't even offensive Caspian. :???:

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:31 pm 

Elitism fucking rules and I wish there was more of it. I liked this forum more when it was full of people whose knowledge of the genre made them selective as opposed to kumbaya hand-holders who like Lady Gaga or something. Bash elitism all you want (and when I say elitism, I'm not talking about 15-year-old "true metal" kids who relentlessly "bash posers", they're just the inverse form of the problem), but it weeds out the simps real nicely.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:19 am 

Filosofuck wrote:
I'm sorry, but I can't see this without becoming angry.
video *snip*

I seriously thought it was an Onion parody or something. That's freaking hilarious.

Inkshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:47 am 

This topic always brings to mind Brian Posehn's "MORE METAL THAN YOU" song.

"If Metal is a competition,
Game Over, you're through!
You thought that you were metal?
I'M MORE METAL THAN YOU!"

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:42 am 

HeySharpshooter wrote:
just don't take recommendations from them

HeySharpshooter wrote:
But acting like a big jerk to some kid who likes shitty Mallcore but might be interested in expanding his horizion

For the record, our great purpose is weeding out folk such as yourself.

Contradicting yourself and false assumptions are no way to construct an argument.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:57 am 

ENKC wrote:
I think you're overthinking it. I'm a guy with Hoobastank next to Hellhammer in my collection, and I "unironically" like both. Love both, in fact. True metal does not suffer in the slightest for me enjoying other genres or (gasp) more mainstream bands.

Nobody cares that you "unironically" like non-metal bands, or even popular bands. The problem is you actually saying you like terrible shit like Hoobastank.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

EyeOfTheMoon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:54 am 

I used to do that when until I was about 20, then I stopped caring.

Turner wrote:
heavy metal is musical asperger's, all genres of it

This.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:25 am 

RapeTheDead wrote:
Elitism fucking rules and I wish there was more of it. I liked this forum more when it was full of people whose knowledge of the genre made them selective as opposed to kumbaya hand-holders who like Lady Gaga or something. Bash elitism all you want (and when I say elitism, I'm not talking about 15-year-old "true metal" kids who relentlessly "bash posers", they're just the inverse form of the problem), but it weeds out the simps real nicely.

Elitism is as heavily reliant upon pretentious prejudice as it is on pure taste. More often than not, elitists possess certain qualities of...arrogance and condescension, since they elevate themselves above others based on their perception that their tastes are more objectively correct than others'. Besides, there will always be a bottom 10% to shave off in this supposed self-regulating self-purifying system, won't there?

People on this forum like what they like because they like it. How much more selective does one need to be than that?

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:25 am 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
ENKC wrote:
I think you're overthinking it. I'm a guy with Hoobastank next to Hellhammer in my collection, and I "unironically" like both. Love both, in fact. True metal does not suffer in the slightest for me enjoying other genres or (gasp) more mainstream bands.

Nobody cares that you "unironically" like non-metal bands, or even popular bands. The problem is you actually saying you like terrible shit like Hoobastank.

Even Hellhammer is pretty terrible........

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:17 pm 

I see a lot of whining about elitism, but not enough elitism to warrant it.

maidenpriestmanic wrote:

Infidel!
:getout:

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:39 pm 

Marag wrote:

maidenpriestmanic wrote:

Infidel!
:getout:

Haha atleast I like Celtic Frost.

phantaz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:40 pm 

gabber wrote:
You know what I say?

Let everyone like what they want.
As long as no one is being hurt or affected, who really gives a fuck? If people learnt not to interfere in one another's lives and opinions, we would be rid of crime and war.
It would be a better world.

Exactly. We all, at some point in our lifes, have been the kid that pointed the finger at those that listened to the band A or B.
We all did it! The difference is that some of us reached a level of mental abbility where we no longer care about what others like, listen, watch, yadda yadda. We stay in our corners, with our likes/dislikes, minding our own businesses, indifferent to those that do not have the same taste as we.

I used to bash kids that we into nu-metal just for the fact that they were no trve metalheads... how that ashames my nowadays, f0ck LOL
I have crossed the 30 years barrier and no longer feel the need to attack, or whatever, those that do not listen to what I listen. My older kid is a fan of classic rock (ACDC and KISS, for example), but has discovered, a few months ago, the likes of Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park and stuff like that. Of course I make fun of him for listening these bands, but if enjoys listening to them, should I REALLY prevent from? Come on, the kids likes them, let him have his fun :)

Old man's conversation LOL

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:47 pm 

Wait just a minute, of course, everyone can listen to whatever they fucking want, I don't care, but I WILL make fun of it, if you listen to Korn, or Liturgy.

And they can make fun of me for liking Manowar. That's ok and it's a free world.

But we all know who is right and true in the end.

havoc00
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:25 pm 

Who gives a fuck? I have tons of rap cds, tons of metalcore and tons of death metal. I listen to what I want when im in the mood for it. LOL @ labels people throw around to make themselves feel superior for being fans of certain shit. Many times I listen to a Rick ross cd, then put a Lord Gore cd in who cares.

beyondthesufferingband
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:46 pm 

Desperta_Ferro wrote:
Wait just a minute, of course, everyone can listen to whatever they fucking want, I don't care, but I WILL make fun of it, if you listen to Korn, or Liturgy.

And they can make fun of me for liking Manowar. That's ok and it's a free world.

But we all know who is right and true in the end.

korn is awesome.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:22 pm 

The thread run its course, time to bash its head.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2