Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:36 am 

Right, so I've been having a lot of arguments with my Mum recently, and yesterday we basically had an in depth discussion about why. She says "I think the music you listen to makes you violent" I dismissed this, and went out with my friends for the day. I come home, and it turns out that while I've been gone, my parents have been looking up Cryptopsy and Carcass lyrics, which seem to have disgusted them. They're all like "Are these people sick in the head? This is appalling! It's nihilistic degradation of the human body!" (lol) But yeah, they're trying to stop me from listening to Death Metal, and I was going to see Aborted next month and now they're not letting me. Opinions?

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:43 am 

Stop being violent?

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:45 am 

Stop acting up. Talk to your parents in a civilized manner. Don't act violently and aggressive. Stay calm and relaxed. Say that you like the music as entertainment, the same way some people like scary movies.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:47 am 

I'll just do this: http://www.markprindle.com/fisher-i.htm

Scroll down to when it says (NOTE:...

and http://www.puregrainaudio.com/interview ... al-corpse2 at: Why do you feel that people are so lax and desensitized when it comes to real-life gore, yet are more put off or liable to make a fuss when it comes to imaginary carnage?

/thread.

Thank you Wikipedia.

btw, if you are acting up...don't act up.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:50 am 

There is a reason why they are trying to keep you from listening and it's not really because of the music itself it's because of the way you act by your own admission. Basically if you weren't acting like an asshole and misbehaving you probably wouldn't have this problem to begin with.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:57 am 

Thanks for the Webster interview. What a sensible, analytic guy! I had no idea (not that I expected anything different in particular).

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:00 am 

Well, there's only one thing to do
Grab and axe and hack away...
no, no

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:03 am 

But the thing is, I'm not violent. I don't act like an asshole. My mum's an alcoholic, and more often than not starts the arguments.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:06 am 

Be more passive then. Until you are able to get out on your own you are going to have to swallow a lot of shit that you don't think is fair. That's life, they are caring for you right now so they pretty much have every right to force you to do whatever within logical reason.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:08 am 

or...

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:10 am 

I could in theory leave home and get a job, as I am of such age. But I have no desire to just yet. So as far as I'm concerned, If I'm old enough to potentially leave home, can I not make my own decisions?

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:12 am 

i really dont know if ipod's can have passwords(only got really old ones) but maybe have an ipod that you can easily hide or one with a password so no one know's what your listening to

also tell them with most death metal you cannot understand a word they are saying(my guess you already said that though)

FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:14 am 

I honestly pretty much only listen to the the actual music of Death Metal songs anyway. I couldn't care less what the vocalist is saying, haha.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:15 am 

AzzaKnowldy wrote:
If I'm old enough to potentially leave home, can I not make my own decisions?

No, you live in their house, you eat their food, you use their utilities. You have to pretty much abide by their rules. If you don't like it the only way you can make your own decisions is to do just that... get your ass out and get a job and move out. You aren't an adult by age, you are an adult by action and depending on yourself not your parents or others.

FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:17 am 

Quote:
No, you live in their house, you eat their food, you use their utilities. You have to pretty much abide by their rules. If you don't like it the only way you can make your own decisions is to do just that... get your ass out and get a job and move out. You aren't an adult by age, you are an adult by action and depending on yourself not your parents or others.

Right, that's fair enough. I don't want to resort to that over something so trivial, though. It's just that Metal as a whole is a huge part of my life.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:23 am 

Really, all in all sometimes you just have to bear it. In the end the word "Whatever" shall be your best friend.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:30 am 

listen in private, keep it from them. it's not like you are doing drugs. Sorry to sound harsh but it's the reality of the subject at hand.

Only thing that was remotely like this for me was when my mom heard me listening to Suffocation. it was the first time I had ever heard them and it was around a week after I got it my mom heard it and asked for the cd which I gave to her cause she said it sounded like the devil... she isn't religious or anything which is why I thought it was really funny. She put it in her room and about ten minutes later I went in and took it back out and that was pretty much it. Never had a complaint again and I never hid it again.

And shockingly now my mom actually likes some metal every now and again. Mainly listening to In Flames Colony and Clayman.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:58 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
Well, there's only one thing to do
Grab and axe and hack away...
no, no

:lol:

How old are you? Parents are obviously going to be put off by the stuff we listen to, the same way their parents were put off by what they listened to, nothing new there...

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:59 am 

AzzaKnowldy wrote:
I honestly pretty much only listen to the the actual music of Death Metal songs anyway. I couldn't care less what the vocalist is saying, haha.

Same here, it's the sound of the music more than the lyrics/artwork for me.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:41 am 

AzzaKnowldy wrote:

same do your parents know that? i mean no one listens to cannibal corpse expecting deep and meaningful lyrics, also i dont know if this would help but maybe you could try to show them lyrics of death metal with deep and meaningful lyrics so they know its not all gore but i dont know if any of that will help

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:44 am 

get a lykathea aflame (or something) album and have them read the lyrics to those as well?

*edit* beat me to it...

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:52 am 

AzzaKnowldy wrote:
"nihilistic degradation of the human body!"

Continue listening to death metal and have your mom be the primary lyricist of your band. That's better than anything I've read in the lyrical feedback thread.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:15 am 

I laughed at the title of this thread.

Get some headphones if you don't have any, listen to your music in private, hide your death metal cds under your bed and buy some Rick Astley cds to put on the self. If you don't make much of a big deal about it they will eventually forget and leave you alone.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:27 am 

:P

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:29 am 

If it is one thing that is violent, gory, morbid, sadistic, and often of a paedophilic nature it's contemporary crime novels, especially by English authors. Yet it's appreciated and cherished by many, and often considered high art. Makes me confuckled.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:35 am 

Like the guys in Cannibal Corpse say, it's the music. If you've ever watched shows like Criminal Minds, they show in great detail things similar to the lyrical topics in death metal songs, and it's loved by the mainstream. Death metal isn't all that different from crime shows or horror movies, but it sounds scary.

Syntek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:41 am 

Kill them.

Kill them all.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:56 am 

AzzaKnowldy wrote:
Right, so I've been having a lot of arguments with my Mum recently, and yesterday we basically had an in depth discussion about why. She says "I think the music you listen to makes you violent" I dismissed this, and went out with my friends for the day. I come home, and it turns out that while I've been gone, my parents have been looking up Cryptopsy and Carcass lyrics, which seem to have disgusted them. They're all like "Are these people sick in the head? This is appalling! It's nihilistic degradation of the human body!" (lol) But yeah, they're trying to stop me from listening to Death Metal, and I was going to see Aborted next month and now they're not letting me. Opinions?

How is that this thread has not been locked?!?

FromMarsToSirius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:07 am 

Made her read Death lyrics from Human and Symbolic.

Problem solved.

Aaattaack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:51 am 

Ok, so only Megadeth and Christian Death Metal until you can move out ;) Well, there are a few good ones!

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:05 pm 

Syntek wrote:
Kill them.

Kill them all.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:22 pm 

1st act properly, don't be an asshole, don't use violence.

2nd be a cool guy, be calm, show 'em fucking Ghandi.

3rd Don't expect your parents to see things from your point of view
realize that they are wrong and you are right about this, don't give a fuck about what they say.

BTW why would you want your parents approval? You see...modern parents don't know shit about parenting
I've heard about people getting their albums smashed because their parents thought it was a devil's thing
such ignorance must be ignored (sounds so stupid to say it haha) but really...don't give a crap about their opinion

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

Last edited by IanThrash on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:25 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
AzzaKnowldy wrote:
"nihilistic degradation of the human body!"

Continue listening to death metal and have your mom be the primary lyricist of your band. That's better than anything I've read in the lyrical feedback thread.

I can picture Van Drunen growling that line.

OP: Just act like a normal guy, listen your music with headphones and don't show any 'rebel' behavior. When your grow a bit older they'll leave you alone. If you can leave your parents' house when you get a job or something, the better.

Now, if you can't do anything about it, pussify your tastes and listen euro PM, or some AOR stuff. Journey an Bon Jovi won't be a problem I guess.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:28 pm 

Looks like your parents are pretty crappy.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:36 pm 

:nono:

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.