Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 293033
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:25 pm 

Amon Amarth has officially released the title and album artwork for their upcoming album.
Spoiler: show

This could potentially be a concept album, potentially a prequel to Surtur Rising. I'm still holding out on the hope that they work with Peter Tägtgren, as I've found his albums with them to be the best. The other thing I have noted is that since With Oden On Our Side the albums have become increasingly "poppy". Twilight of the Thunder God pulled it off, but Surtur Rising was just... dull. It isn't likely they'll do so, but if there was ever a time to try some new influences, it's now.

Last edited by ~Guest 293033 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anfauglir1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:35 pm 

I think it looks very cool! I am really looking forward to it. I hope it doesn't sound like Surtur Rising though. I mean, Surtur Rising is a an awesome album, but I think it could have been much heavier.But it probably won't, since they are working with a new producer.
However, Amon Amarth are one of the beast Death Metal-bands around these days, and this release will probably kick ass as much as every other album.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:42 pm 

It looks like an Amon Amarth album cover. Shit's getting tedious.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:46 pm 

I pretty much agree with Against Such Things, but after the decent Twilight of the Thunder Gods and the disappointing Sutur Rising, I find I'm not looking forward to a new Amon Amarth album like I used to.

Hastein45
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:48 pm 

The album artwork is great. Hopefully the album will be good as well. I will definitely check this out.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:56 pm 

No flames? What bullshit is this! Although as for them being Poppier, I find it's more of a power metal and Symphonic influence then a pop influence, per say. Also though Surtur was infinity more interesting than Twilight.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:56 pm 

I like the album cover.
Let's hear a song already dammit.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:01 pm 

Good looking, cheesy and fun cover art, as is expected from Amon Amarth...

Wouldn't mind more songs in the vein of the "Twilight..." material, half of the stuff on that record was incredible (and the other half was still really good). Give me another Guardians of Asgaard or Tattered Banners, Bloody Flags any day...

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:35 pm 

I think that's one of their best covers. It kind of blends the cartoon-ish aesthetic of The Crusher and Versus the World with the more realistic Twlight of the Thunder God (but without the obvious CGI). It looks really beautiful and absurdly epic. Also reminds of of an old power metal kind of look. Would look great on vinyl. Oddly, I think the simplicity of With Oden On Our Side's cover was really effective, but maybe I'm just saying that because it's my favourite Amon Amarth album.

Nice and simple album title, too; obviously referring to Loki. Huh, I wonder if we'll get Loke's Treachery Part III?!

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:41 pm 

Looking forward to this album, and the cover looks sick. Apparently they should be releasing a song soon?

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:52 pm 

I like the cover, appreciated the fact they changed the overused red, fire-y palette.

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:28 pm 

I like it. I dont think surter rising was bad, but their sound has defiantly changed slightly. I miss the old amon amarth stuff a lot, but then again, i'm glad there arent 10 versus the world's because then it would be repetitive.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:41 pm 

It's definitely a reference to Loki, since he's "The Trickster" and all right?! I thought Surtur was a completely boring album, and I do hope they release something much better now. However I'm not as excited about this as I could've been some years back. They've just found themselves in a loop and it's getting hard for them to alter the course of things. I too would love for them to get back to the days of old, but to their debut and not their fourth album. :p I miss the ballsy stuff from Once Sent From The Golden Hall. Another album like that would be awesome!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:49 pm 

Something about that cover rubs me the wrong way, I'm thinking its the lack of flames and stupid flying goat cart. I really quite dislike it. As for the music, the last two albums have sucked but have been massively popular, no reason for them to change, so I'll probably pass.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:52 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Something about that cover rubs me the wrong way, I'm thinking its the lack of flames and stupid flying goat cart. I really quite dislike it. As for the music, the last two albums have sucked but have been massively popular, no reason for them to change, so I'll probably pass.

Agreed about the cover. It seems really off. Also, does anyone else think the perspective from the lightning striking the shield looks really awkward? Other than that, I dislike the lack of detail. Looks cartoony. As for the music, guaranteed it'll be another album akin to the last one. I did like Surtur Rising, but I know the band's two best and SR sure as shit isn't it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:58 pm 

Yeah it looks like the lightning guy should be much further away, but they thought he looked cool so they dragged him in, so now the sky and clouds look like 12 metres off the ground.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:05 pm 

Hadn't even noticed that about the cover. Man, now that I look at it like that it's hard not to feel like the perspective and scale are pretty much screwed up.

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:07 pm 

The cover is fucking awesome and the album will blow heads off. That's it.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:14 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Yeah it looks like the lightning guy should be much further away, but they thought he looked cool so they dragged him in, so now the sky and clouds look like 12 metres off the ground.

Dude, that's a fucking god... maybe he's as tall as a house... ;)

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:16 pm 

And the last two albums most certainly didn't suck...

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:19 pm 

I really did like Surtur Rising though I still need to listen to more of their older stuff. I'm at least curious to see how this goes.

Emanon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:30 pm 

I'll listen to it.
Darkness, like a cloak of saffron velvet, surrounds him. Stark trees of stone support the moon and stop the sky from falling in around him. He stands upon his mountain throne, his arms held high, he’s all-alone, ashen face turned towards the sky.

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:45 pm 

I was bored by most of Twilight, even the best track (the album titled song) took a stupid turn with that solo. Surtur Rising was a step in a more fruitful direction for the band. I enjoyed it all the way through, which isn't something I can say about any Amon Amarth album since The Crusher. I'll admit I'm picky, when it comes to Amon Amarth, but still. I'm not really sold on the artwork, as yet either, but hey.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:11 pm 

Peroy wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

Dude, that's a fucking god... maybe he's as tall as a house... ;)

Indeed but watching the angle of the lightning strike brings him much closer to the foreground. The proportions and and angles here are really, really bad.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:39 pm 

I don't agree; the two figures are gods, earthly dimensions don't apply to them. I imagine Loki in that picture at least as big as a skyscraper, and Thor and his chariot about the same. With that in mind, the lightning fits well.

adace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:19 pm 

It seemed like they were starting to go in new directions on Surtur Rising so I'm really interested to see what this record sounds like. I'm already super excited to see how the track with Messiah Marcolin turns out.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:24 pm 

Razakel wrote:
I don't agree; the two figures are gods, earthly dimensions don't apply to them. I imagine Loki in that picture at least as big as a skyscraper, and Thor and his chariot about the same. With that in mind, the lightning fits well.

No. Look at how large the regular soldiers are on the right. Then trace how far those clouds / dust clouds are in front of them. The distance is almost nothing. You then look up from that spot and Loki's right there. Then look at how the lightning is striking the dude in the foreground. They messed up (though the lightning is not coming from Loki exactly).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:29 am 

I maintain that the dimensions don't look weird to me. Who's even to say that the clouds Thor is emerging from are natural; there's no way to tell from the picture how high in the sky he is. And it definitely looks to me as though the lightning is coming from Thor's hammer.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:36 am 

That is one fine cover.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:43 am 

The cover is pretty damn cool, though that is expected of Amon Amarth. Their artworks and package designs have always been of very high quality.

I wasn't a terribly huge fan of Surtur Rising. I liked the more heavy, aggressive songs such as "Destroyer of the Universe" and "Wrath of the Norsemen", but several of the others, including the single "War of the Gods" didn't really do it for me. They sounded too light, too melodic. In the past, Amon Amarth found a very nice balance between crushing death metal and melody, but on their latest it seems the latter far outweighed the former on most songs. I hope this is not a continuation of that format.

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:50 am 

That artwork is a joke for sure... so ridiculous it just has to be... anyway hopefully the music is better than Surtur... sadly tho I think they're on the way out... shame they were such an awesome band...

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:41 am 

UNCHAIN_THE_WOLVES wrote:
That artwork is a joke for sure... so ridiculous it just has to be... anyway hopefully the music is better than Surtur... sadly tho I think they're on the way out... shame they were such an awesome band...

That is quite... an interesting way... to format your... sentences... very stream-of-conscious-esque... but you're wrong...

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:55 am 

The album art is passable but it's certainly not great in my opinion. It's lacking a lot of things (I don't know what) and it seems quite bland and empty to me.

Also, OP - "I before E except after C"

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:42 am 

Great. More Donald Duck McDeath Metal (tm) from these clowns.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:46 am 

matras wrote:
Great. More Donald Duck McDeath Metal (tm) from these clowns.

Yes, it's great, isn't it ? :)

matras
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:00 am 

Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of listening to Death Toll 80K. :wink:
That people still listen to AA boggles my mind. To me it's like the audial equivalent of being forcefed Big Macs, with artificial sweetener.
And I feel like I will have to scrub my eyes after seeing that cover... cheesus that's horrible.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:18 am 

matras wrote:
That people still listen to AA boggles my mind.

Idiots. All of them. :)

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:04 am 

It would be music to my ears if I could hear new Amon Amarth music in my ears.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:35 am 

matras wrote:
Sorry, can't hear you over the sound of listening to Death Toll 80K. :wink:
That people still listen to AA boggles my mind. To me it's like the audial equivalent of being forcefed Big Macs, with artificial sweetener.
And I feel like I will have to scrub my eyes after seeing that cover... cheesus that's horrible.

Yeah, well, you know what they say about buttholes-- they stink as bad as opinions and everyone has at least one. Me? I've got a couple buttholes.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:38 am 

McDeath is funny.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next