Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Jackoroth
Metalhead

Location: Taumatawhakatangi­hangakoauauotamatea­turipukakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:22 pm 

So, I've been jamming the hell out of Cirith Ungol's Frost And Fire and Paradise Lost, in my opinion their best of work.

I've noticed that since they split in 1992, it seems like they reformed until 1996 and looks like none of the members have done anything after that in metal so it makes me wonder, they have since put out a compilation in 2001, what would the chances of them reforming or even playing a few one of shows in future?

From what I can see of their live performances, they are amazing live (like in this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hNxo-a5iNI) and would love to at least see them once.

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:25 pm 

From Cirith Ungol's drummer's review of Paradise Lost
Quote:
I was so upset by this project and its production and aftermath I swore "That I would never touch another drumstick or play drums, if it meant being in the same business as these people". Even though we have been offered many reunion tours and dates I have kept my oath, and expect that I will keep it until death...

So yeah, never.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:32 pm 

Robert Garven will likely never do it, so no chance.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:59 pm 

Get used to watching those live videos cause that's about as close as you'll get to seeing them live. I was coming in to share the same info that was stated above.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:07 pm 

Thashierthanthou wrote:
From Cirith Ungol's drummer's review of Paradise Lost
Quote:
I was so upset by this project and its production and aftermath I swore "That I would never touch another drumstick or play drums, if it meant being in the same business as these people". Even though we have been offered many reunion tours and dates I have kept my oath, and expect that I will keep it until death...

So yeah, never.

Yeah here's the whole thing, guys. http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... bertgarven

He's reviewed the other works and while anything can happen, he feels so adamant about how he was fucked over that I doubt none of that isn't still lingering.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:08 pm 

Reunions always turn out badly, so just be glad they haven't tarnished their legacy.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:08 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
We'll probably never get to know what he meant to type after "and w". :(

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:55 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
hole thing, guys. http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/C ... bertgarven

He's reviewed the other works and while anything can happen, he feels so adamant about how he was fucked over that I doubt none of that isn't still lingering.

I certainly respect his decision, but I must say, it's really fucking sad on a number of levels...mostly to know that he'll never play again and lost all interest just because of a bunch of greedy fuckers and a bad producer.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:04 am 

I just scored a CD copy of Paradise Lost on ebay and was hoping to order the others shortly. Didn't know what the story was with the bad blood before. But with everyone from Hell to Steel Assassin making comebacks after long periods, nothing would surprise me.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

darkentries
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:21 am 

was paradise lost ever released on vinyl

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:23 am 

Dude, if this band reform to do a tour, it would be like the best thing ever, even cooler if they play their first two albums at their fullest. Sadly doubt this will happen.

mentalselfmutilation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:17 am 

They won't. There was a time in 2010 they were scheduled for a reunion show at Headbangers Open Air but they were canceled. I'm surprised there was even confirmation at a time.

Someone would have to probably front seriously stupid amounts of money in their face to get over their 20 year grudge against the music industry.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:56 am 

Jackoroth wrote:
looks like none of the members have done anything after that in metal

Greg Lindstrom actually has a band named Falcon. I've not heard it but that's propably the closest you get to CU. On the M-A page it says they're doing unreleased Ungol songs and stuff.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:30 am 

Yeah, it's pretty sad.

I dunno, if he doesn't want to "do business with these people", why doesn't he simply do business with other people? Or is he too afraid to get fucked over again? I'm sure there are ways to avoid that.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:37 am 

There's a really good interview with Robert Garven in Chip & Beer issue 3. He says everyone in the band would want to play again, but he hasn't played drums in 20 years, doesn't even own and kit and has nowhere to practice. Some members live in different states, they all work (Rob says he's doing 12-hour days) and he says the whole band feels like they'd let everyone down. I'd say Cirith Ungol is done
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:56 am 

Jackoroth wrote:
Paradise Lost, in my opinion their best of work.

Really? I'm surprised that anyone prefers this one to any of their other albums. I mean, 'Go it Alone' and 'Troll' are shite.

But yeah, the chances of them reforming are next to nil. I could imagine that maybe some European metal festivals could get Greg Lindstrom and Tim Baker to do a Cirith Ungol set (with Perry Grayson on lead guitar, probably). But as far as a full reunion goes, I just can't see it happening. Although imagine a CU reunion album with, say, Andy Sneap producing it... :lol:

jedimasterhassan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:40 pm 

a friend of mine prefers paradise lost to the rest of their catalog. which i cannot understand for the life of me. but he's weird, he doesn't like fuzz guitar and the doomier elements of their earlier stuff, so whatever. i don't think paradise lost is bad really, defnitly nowhere near as good as king of the dead or one foot in hell. the demo versions of the songs were much better. i can understand completely why garvin doesn't like it, i know what it's like to have something come out completely different than what you wanted, and how disapointing that can be. the troll would be cool if it wasn't for the shitty lyrics. and the last 3 songs are really fucking good, especially the title track. and i loves me some arthur brown

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:00 am 

Considering that the only way I'd actually want to see Cirith Ungol is with Jerry Fogle on guitars, I hope they never reform again. I'm content with the Servants of Chaos DVD.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:15 pm 

Doesn't the drummer have an account on this site? Would be cool if he popped in hear and gave some of his input. lol.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:54 pm 

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
Considering that the only way I'd actually want to see Cirith Ungol is with Jerry Fogle on guitars, I hope they never reform again. I'm content with the Servants of Chaos DVD.

Yeah, respect to the other members but without Fogle on lead guitar it just wouldn't be the same band. His solos are a big part of why I like Cirith Ungol so much, and as far as I remember he had a big part in the songwriting, too.

ifritnuts
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:55 pm 

Speaking of Paradise Lost, I've had some questions regarding the recording of that album. Who actually played guitar and bass on it? The liner notes prominently list Jim Barraza and Vernon Green, as well as show their photos. I understand Jim was brought in shortly before Jerry Fogle left the band. But through various interviews, it's revealed that those two guys left at some point and were replaced with Joe Malatesta and Bob Warrenburg. To me, it makes sense that the latter pair is who plays on the album, because they each contributed one song that they wrote (The Troll, Heaven Help Us). What's confusing to me, is that Joe and Bob are only credited as "additional musicians". Can anyone shed more light on this?

Also, is there any knowledge as to who is the "clean" vocalist? I really have my doubts that Tim Baker did all the vocals.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:09 am 

Had an initial listen through my Paradise Lost CD last night. Not as doomy as I expected from what little I knew of their earlier work. Much more straightforward heavy metal and even a hint of thrash influence at times I thought. Quite liked it, even if The Troll had some awful lyrics.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Reply to topic