Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 am 

In the past couple months I have been delving into Axel Rudi Pell's catalog and I have to say that I am extremely impressed. Oceans of Time is basically on repeat in my car stereo. Figured I would give them some credit since I don't really see them mentioned too much on here. Not sure if I would go as far to say that they are underrated, but it would seem so. Johnny Gioeli is also an amazing vocalist in the vein of Dio or Bruce Dickinson with his style and delivery. Other Pell albums that rip are The Crest, Kings and Queens and Shadow Zone. Definitely would recommend them to fans of Dio, Maiden, Judas Priest, Iced Earth and basically any one into traditional heavy metal.

So, please share your thoughts, likes, dislikes, fav albums and why if you feel inclined.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:42 am 

Oceans of Time and Mystica are the best that I've heard from him (about half his albums overall; haven't heard the really old ones). But really he's pretty unimaginative songwriting-wise, and even his good albums get old after a while. Johnny Gioelli is a hell of a singer though.

Metalhaven
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:41 am 

I love all of Axel Rudi Pell's solo releases, though some of them do seem to be copycats of previous releases. Wild Obsession and Nasty Reputation are both amazing albums and an amazing way to kick off a solo career. Eternal Prisoner was also an extremely solid release, but after that, things get a little repetitive (for me at least) for a while. Once Jeff is replaced by Johnny, it seems to spark things up (which is odd, because I actually like Jeff as a vocalist more than Johnny). Ocean's of Time & The Masquerade Ball were both great releases, but then it turns into a hit and miss for me throughout the rest of the discography. Kings and Queens really captured the Johnny era (so far) displaying some of Axel Rudi Pell's best material.

As for the albums I didn't mention, every single Axel Rudi Pell release has some material that is very much worth owning, these releases are just not as solid. Also, if you get a chance, check out Steeler (Axel Rudi Pell's band before his solo career). Especially the album Undercover Animal, it has some great tracks on it.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:47 am 

Between The Walls was the first record I heard from ARP and I was struck not just by the incredible playing but also how "traditional" it sounded. They even had a cover of the Free classic "Wishing Well" on there. It all sounded so classy, so mature. Jeff Scott Soto was on vocals back then. ARP has always had a thing for incredibly dynamic but overwhelmingly emotive singers who always deliver knockout ballads and semi-ballads.

Black Moon Pyramid and Oceans Of Time didn't disappoint me either but it has been a while since I last sat down to listen to this band. I did check out Circle Of The Oath when it came out though and it is a stellar release. The title track is superb and its great to hear Johnny Gioeli sounding as great as ever.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

TheAntagonist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:03 am 

I will also admit some songs do get repetitive. "Dreaming Dead" from The Crest sounds like "Legions of Hell" (i think that is the song) from Kings and Queens . Plus, they both sound like "Heaven and Hell" by Sabbath. Not like they are exact copies, but the riff structure and bass breakdown sound the same. But this is not necessarily a bad thing. Kinda reminds me of Maiden in the fact that their songs are similar, but you listen anyway.

Will definitely have to check out Steeler as I have not yet. BTW - Knights Live is a pretty exceptional live offering from Pell. There's a 27 minute medley that goes like this -(The Masquerade Ball / Casbah / Drum Solo / Stargazer (Rainbow cover) / Casbah). Just wished Stargazer was longer. If i remember correctly Johnny sings like one verse.

Windir - Resurrection of the Wild

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:01 pm 

This band started ruling hard once they got Johnny as their singer. Just amazing, well-produced heavy metal. They should space out their albums longer to ensure only quality makes it on, because there are duds here and there.

And "Dreaming Dead"? Repetitive? Hell no, that's my favorite song by them (the extended one, to be precise).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:15 am 

I have four ARP albums: Nasty Reputation, Eternal Prisoner, The Masquerade Ball, and Kings and Queens. All of them are awesome! Eternal Prisoner is probably my favourite. It has the best melodies and the catchiest songs. The albums with Johnny seem a bit simpler and less consistent, but are still pretty awesome. I wish they were shorter, but I'll probably still buy a couple other ARP albums.

Reply to topic