Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:04 pm 

Did anyone pick up/read the Jeff Hanneman issue of Guitar World? Blabbermouth has a condensed version of the Jeff article here: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=191655

I read the whole thing yesterday. In a way, it's pretty sad. Sounds like Jeff was a major alcoholic and even if he lived he wasn't ever coming back to Slayer.

AppleQueso
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:17 pm 

Seems like King is willing to keep the band going without Jeff, but Tom is on the fence about the whole thing. Dave seems interested in coming back though, so there's that I guess.

I don't know, the future of the band seems really unclear. I'm personally imagining a scenario where they continue to play live shows but don't do any more studio recordings.

CannibalKid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:56 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
In a way, it's pretty sad. Sounds like Jeff was a major alcoholic and even if he lived he wasn't ever coming back to Slayer.

My thoughts exactly. I remember learning from a friend of mine that he died and we were both speculating that it was alcohol-related.....Even worse was seeing Tom and Sandra Araya doing a shot of Jaeger as a tribute to Hanneman, I was thinking 'yeah they're definitely gonna regret that in a week or two. Really bad idea'......

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:17 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
Did anyone pick up/read the Jeff Hanneman issue of Guitar World? Blabbermouth has a condensed version of the Jeff article here: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=191655
I read the whole thing yesterday. In a way, it's pretty sad. Sounds like Jeff was a major alcoholic and even if he lived he wasn't ever coming back to Slayer.

Thanks, man!

Quote:
Araya, meanwhile, seems to be unsure of what SLAYER's future holds.

"After 30 years, it would literally be like starting over," he says. "To move forward without Jeff just wouldn't be the same, and I'm not sure the fans would be so accepting of that drastic a change. Especially when you consider how much he contributed to the band musically. And you can have someone sit in for him, but there's no one on this planet that can do what Jeff did. There's no replacing him."

I agree.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:22 pm 

CannibalKid wrote:
TadGhostal wrote:
In a way, it's pretty sad. Sounds like Jeff was a major alcoholic and even if he lived he wasn't ever coming back to Slayer.

My thoughts exactly. I remember learning from a friend of mine that he died and we were both speculating that it was alcohol-related.....Even worse was seeing Tom and Sandra Araya doing a shot of Jaeger as a tribute to Hanneman, I was thinking 'yeah they're definitely gonna regret that in a week or two. Really bad idea'......

Guess it's country related, but I don't see how honouring someone's death with shots is undesirable, even if the death was alcohol related. I drank more shots in Hanneman's honour than there are notes in Angel of Death solos and I never thought of it being ironic that he died from doing so too.

Reply to topic