2) Fear of the Dark 43%  43%  [ 46 ]
3) The X Factor 34%  34%  [ 37 ]
4) Virtual XI 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 108
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:22 pm 

Chose The X Factor, as I've always been partial to "The Aftermath", which is one of my favorites by Maiden, ever.

AlexMaiden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:59 am 

I'd go with The X Factor, which I think it's the most compelling, as a whole, out of the four ones. Although it started Harris' obsession of writing long intros and outros, the music suits well the lyrics, being dark and introspective. It definitely features certain highlights, like Sign Of The Cross (the last genuine masterpiece wrote by Harris), Lord Of The Flies, Man On The Edge, Fortunes Of War, Judgement Of Heaven and The Edge Of Darkness.

Fear Of The Dark, on the other hand, although having Be Quick Or Be Dead, Afraid To Shoot Strangers, Childhood End's, Judas Be My Guide and the title track in, fails miserably in delivering the goods, as a whole.

No Prayer For The Dying is flat, rushed to the point of no return and an incredible let down from the masterpiece that preceded it. Only four songs worth anything (the title track, Public Enema Number One, Fates Warning and Mother Russia).

Virtual XI is Maiden's abysmal lowest point, in every way. Only Futureal and partially The Clansman and When Two Worlds Collide may classify as Maiden worth material.

Ridiculous decade indeed, but they've managed to come back, obviously not to the same result as the 80s, but sufficient enough of being still relevant today.

A_Dreamer_In_The_Theater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:22 am 

I voted The X Factor because it was when Maiden became truly expressive in a lengthier largesque sense. It is the blueprint for later works like A Matter of Life And Death and The Final Frontier and those songs were really catchy and well thought out. Plus when Bruce did perform some of them, he wore them well.

Of the Bruce albums, I prefer No Prayer... to FoTD because at least the songs on the former are fun (even the truly stupid ones) while the latter still sounds to this day, desperate and mundane.

Deaderthebetter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:59 pm 

I like how this poll turned out although I'm surprised The X Factor has more votes NPFTD!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3