Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:57 am 

...or "why the fuck do you guys keep accepting this second-rate crap?"

...or "i lost interest in metal but nothing else took its place, so i have to settle for complaining about it"

on a similar note to the "albums that revitalised a band's career", here's another one: bands that try their hardest later in their careers but just never quite get there. i'll start.

fear factory: they've been trying to recreate the atmosphere, man-vs-machine concept and all-round best album ever-ness of demanufacture since the day it came out... but they've never succeeded. at best, they've come up with a couple of albums later in their career that kinda match their first album in heaviness, but with none of the soul (no pun intended).

iron maiden (aware of touchy statement): they just keep pumping out these terrible albums that want so badly to recapture their glory days, but fall oh-so-fucking-short. every song is based on the "there were military themes in the trooper!" and "hallowed be thy name went for 10 minutes!" concepts. fuck 'em. oh, and "up the irons!" is such a shit thing to say.

the big 4: this is an easy one. metallica's last few have just been hopeless, no direction whatsoever. they want their "crown" back but have forgotten how to write songs. fuck, at least load and reload were well-written. megadeth accidentally released a decent album with endgame, but that was an exception, not the rule. slayer's been releasing a repackaged seasons in the abyss without the phenomenal title track for about 5 albums now and only the white trash care. and anthrax has been "going back to their roots" since about 1995 - maybe their roots shouldn't be so shit, i dunno. the most annoying thing about the big 4 for me is that their "experimental" albums (load/youthanasia/sound of white noise/divine intervention) are all so much fucking better than their comeback bullshit.

dream theater, judas priest, sepultura, kreator, destruction, sodom, immortal, blind guardian, aaaah fuck the list goes on. so many bands, none with a drop of creativity left but all so busy trying to convince us they're fresh as ever.

varg might be a nutter, but at least he's pumping out quality, at a good pace. and thank god for moonsorrow.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:08 am 

Turner wrote:
...or "why the fuck do you guys keep accepting this second-rate crap?"

...or "i lost interest in metal but nothing else took its place, so i have to settle for complaining about it"

on a similar note to the "albums that revitalised a band's career", here's another one: bands that try their hardest later in their careers but just never quite get there. i'll start.

fear factory: they've been trying to recreate the atmosphere, man-vs-machine concept and all-round best album ever-ness of demanufacture since the day it came out... but they've never succeeded. at best, they've come up with a couple of albums later in their career that kinda match their first album in heaviness, but with none of the soul (no pun intended).

iron maiden (aware of touchy statement): they just keep pumping out these terrible albums that want so badly to recapture their glory days, but fall oh-so-fucking-short. every song is based on the "there were military themes in the trooper!" and "hallowed be thy name went for 10 minutes!" concepts. fuck 'em. oh, and "up the irons!" is such a shit thing to say.

the big 4: this is an easy one. metallica's last few have just been hopeless, no direction whatsoever. they want their "crown" back but have forgotten how to write songs. fuck, at least load and reload were well-written. megadeth accidentally released a decent album with endgame, but that was an exception, not the rule. slayer's been releasing a repackaged seasons in the abyss without the phenomenal title track for about 5 albums now and only the white trash care. and anthrax has been "going back to their roots" since about 1995 - maybe their roots shouldn't be so shit, i dunno. the most annoying thing about the big 4 for me is that their "experimental" albums (load/youthanasia/sound of white noise/divine intervention) are all so much fucking better than their comeback bullshit.

dream theater, judas priest, sepultura, kreator, destruction, sodom, immortal, blind guardian, aaaah fuck the list goes on. so many bands, none with a drop of creativity left but all so busy trying to convince us they're fresh as ever.

So... basically, everything sucks ?

Quote:
varg might be a nutter, but at least he's pumping out quality, at a good pace. and thank god for moonsorrow.

Might add those two to the shitpile then just as well...

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:09 am 

Manowar

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:56 am 

Peroy wrote:
So... basically, everything sucks ?

not quite, it's slightly different. i won't deny it 100%, though. but i honestly do see a serious drop in quality of metal coming out these days, particularly from the majority of its "heroes" and it annoys me. the cynic in me (most of me) feels like at some point "songwriting" became "produced by andy sneap omg!!!" and this is enough for everyone now.

Veracs: it'll sound weird, but i actually think manowar only JUST started to suck on their last album. i even like gods of war... well, a couple of tracks on it, anyway.

Baroque1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:03 am 

So listen to new bands?

You can't be a well of infinite creativity on demand. Each artist can only give us their personal take on metal, you want them to create something that's not theirs? If you want a fresh take on metal, listen to new bands. There are a lot of good bands that came out in just the last 10 years..

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:56 am 

Can't agree with the topic opener. Maiden is currently living their new glory days, and their new albums are even at their worst still very relevant. I listen to new Maiden more than I listen to old. Of course I've heard their 80's records million times, so that might be the reason.

Same thing with Metallica, mostly, though I'm not going to rant about that anymore. I understand these are very worn-out subjects so I better shut up now.

Agree on Manowar though. I don't see them coming back before Joey takes his head out of his ass and learns some self-critisism.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:37 am 

You know what... at least they did something great on their earlier albums. How many bands can say that? It's hard to keep high calibre through the 20, 30 years... But I have to agree on the bands mentioned, plus many more... Pestilence for example... that reunion should not happen...

MushroomStamp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:40 am 

Sick of Maiden and Priest? Try Aria. There's so much songwriting talent in the band that when their vocalist left in 2002 and took half the band with him, neither side's writing took a dent. Both have kept producing solid music.

Here's a concert video with most of their relevant 'hits'... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMtPPuvPCWw

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:42 am 

Maiden after BNW went downhill. TFF was extremely mediocre and thru the motions. If they will release stuff that uninspired, better to do the same than Bolt Thrower and just wait for real inspired material before releasing it.

I partially agree with the OP about the big 4, excepting that Anthrax released their best album in 20 years in the name of Worship Music. The rest forgot how to write decent songs altogether and are laughably trying to get back to their glory days. They should see Testament: instead of recreating a sound that won't come back, they have evolved into something even better than their 80's days.

German thrash has been pretty solid IMO.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:35 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:

Have you actually heard the albums Kreator, Sodom and Destruction did in the 90s? Not exactly anything to write home about, the majority of them.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:39 am 

Sounds like you need to get lost in a completely different genre of music, for a while, OP.

Or just find some new bands to listen to....

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:48 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:

Have you actually heard the albums Kreator, Sodom and Destruction did in the 90s? Not exactly anything to write home about, the majority of them.

I'm talking about lately - which is the sense of the OP, all of them have returned to thrash decently. Thrash as a whole went to the toilet in the 90's.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:31 am 

MARSDUDE wrote:
Sounds like you need to get lost in a completely different genre of music, for a while, OP.

I think you've misunderstood the topic. Those bands he mentioned made great music before, but now they're out of it. New bands that make great music makes great music.

I do agree with the OP. I can't understand why people listen to later Maiden. Their early albums are good enough to last a lifetime, you can't wear them out. The word formulaic really belongs to Maidens (Harris'?) songwriting. If those albums had been released by any other band, would you buy them or call it failed third rate Maiden wannabe clones?

Judas Priest. I actually cringe everytime I think about them. It's like they really want to make relevant music, but they just don't know how. Unlike Maiden that writes the same thing over and over again.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:38 am 

Opus wrote:
If those albums had been released by any other band, would you buy them or call it failed third rate Maiden wannabe clones?

For The Final Frontier? I would buy it and still think it was awesome. The only thing that would change is that, if it were a new band, obviously it wouldn't be a hallmark of how good Maiden is after 30 years. It would just be an epic, moving masterwork of metal.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:44 am 

There's some decent latter-day stuff from these bands. I actually enjoy Worship Music. I liked Final Frontier, though not as much as BNW.

Kreator -- really liked Violent Revolution and Enemy of God, although by now those albums are actually not recent.

Destruction -- same with Antichrist. Great latter-day stuff, hard to believe it was more than 10 years ago now :).

Anyway, yea I get it. These are older bands, their most fresh, creative work is probably behind them. I disagree that it's all just second-rate crap, though.

Why not just listen to a good mix of older bands, and newer stuff as well?

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:45 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
MacMoney wrote:

I'm talking about lately - which is the sense of the OP, all of them have returned to thrash decently. Thrash as a whole went to the toilet in the 90's.

The op isn't focused on change in sound or sudden drops into crap; he's talking about bands that have been around too long and are rehashing the same old formula, which is quite applicable to the latest efforts of all three of the Teutonic trio. The 90's for those bands was kind of the opposite, each leaving home and looking for a new source to tap from.

I'm going to throw Running Wild and Gamma Ray out there. Nothing remotely inspired from either in probably over a decade, and especially in Running Wild's case the production and performance has gotten incredibly dry.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:48 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:

This is true for Kreator and Destruction, certainly. But Sodom did have an excellent string of albums in the early 1990s. Better Off Dead, Tapping the Vein and Get What You Deserve are all excellent albums. They each actually give a fairly unique take on thrash: Better Off Dead offers some rock 'n' rolling Motörthrash, Tapping the Vein has its death metal influences and is probably their most brutal album and Get What You Deserve has loads of punk influences that sound in a different way to earlier crossover stuff.

Nowadays, however, I'm not really sure what they're attempting. Melodic thrash that's, well, not very Sodom-esque at all. Time to hire a different guitarist, I say! I don't think we're going to see any revival of Sodom without a line-up change, at any rate.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:51 am 

Opus wrote:
MARSDUDE wrote:

I think you've misunderstood the topic. Those bands he mentioned made great music before, but now they're out of it. New bands that make great music makes great music.

I do agree with the OP. I can't understand why people listen to later Maiden. Their early albums are good enough to last a lifetime, you can't wear them out. The word formulaic really belongs to Maidens (Harris'?) songwriting. If those albums had been released by any other band, would you buy them or call it failed third rate Maiden wannabe clones?

Judas Priest. I actually cringe everytime I think about them. It's like they really want to make relevant music, but they just don't know how. Unlike Maiden that writes the same thing over and over again.

No, I understood the topic quite well. OP doesn't like certain albums commonly considered 'sellout' or 'bad', by bands that made albums considered 'classics'.

But here's the beauty of music: Other people do actually like those albums. It doesn't matter how many people consider them sellout or bad, the music means something to somebody, somewhere.

That's why I suggested that the OP listens to other genres. Perhaps he can gain an increased appreciation for music in general. Then maybe he'll find something of value in those albums he previously didn't like.

It's happened to me.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:54 am 

I disagree with Iron Maiden; I think that even if you do not like the post-reunion material, it's hard to make an argument for the well running dry.

With Running Wild, albums keep coming but I can't think of one I've enjoyed since the early 90s or so.

Tankard keeps coming out with albums even though they're all crap. Sodom generally has a couple of good songs on each album that they release.

Gosh, there are probably a dozen more bands at least that I feel this way about, but none of them are coming to mind right now. I'll have to do some thinking.

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:12 pm 

Judas Priest Nostradamus is inspired, and different for them. It is just a bit too long, however this band is not out of ideas.

ClaymanOnFire
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:13 pm 

MARSDUDE wrote:
That's why I suggested that the OP listens to other genres. Perhaps he can gain an increased appreciation for music in general. Then maybe he'll find something of value in those albums he previously didn't like.

It's happened to me.

I can attest to that as well. After discovering I liked Les Discrets not only did I expand my musical tastes considerably, but my view of art in general fundamentally changed (especially after finding Giles Corey).

Anyway, on topic, I have to say Dark Tranquillity. I loved Fiction, but I can't enjoy We Are the Void no matter how much I'd like to. It feels overproduced and devoid of any new ideas. It's like the album is missing the divine spark that the other DT albums have. Another obvious mention is In Flames, but I don't need to explain that...

On the flip side, Anaal Nathrakh, Agalloch, and Ulver have remained incredibly solid over the years.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:21 pm 

For me, its all of these old, obscure Death Metal bands coming back from the grave and releasing new stuff.

Uncanny, Dominus Xul, Rottrevore, Purtenance, Brutality.... they've all come back, and everything they have released is just meh as fuck and not worth even a minute of time(and this comes from a mega fan of Rottrevore).

They seem to be just jumping back on the Death Metal bandwagon now that OSDM is "hip" right now.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:23 pm 

I actually enjoy the latest iron maiden and blind guardian albums, so I don't see whats so dry about them, I actually think both of those bands have gotten better over the years. As most of the other bands I agree have lost their steam and have gotten boring.

Oh and testament made an awesome comeback.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:26 pm 

Darkthrone

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:31 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Darkthrone

I couldn't disagree more. The well is far from empty, I'm pretty sure they refill it with water from the well of youth.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:37 pm 

This kinda reminds me of the thread with the controversial opinions. A bunch of people disagreeing with a popular opinion.

Anyway, of course new material will never be as good as the old one. That's a given for the majority of bands. However, if a formula is good why change it? I'll use Maiden as an example here. The OP was complaining that, "every song is based on the "there were military themes in the trooper!" and "hallowed be thy name went for 10 minutes!" concepts." Well shit, the concept works and the people love it. I don't see why they should change anything. Pretty much what the OP is trying to say (Atleast that's what I think), "My opinion differs from that of a popular one."

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Menternor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:28 pm 

Well said ralfikk. I think that's exactly the reason why nobody ever bitches about bands like Motörhead...there's simply no reason to, they always do the same, but people are happy with what they get. (Total The Final Frontier supporter here)

OT: I guess Queensrÿche is too obvious an answer. Oh well, every band I can think of has already been mentioned. I'll search a bit.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:44 pm 

LOL the last two Burzum albums have been way worse then the most commercial bands in metal's recent attempts to stay a float. Totally wish Euronymous killed him, cos at this point I'm more interested in seeing what he'd do with Mayhem, cos Varg has had pretty muvh NOTHING past those four albums he recorded in the same year, and he's only gotten crazier since getting out of prison. Euronymous was no class act either, but at least he seemed to shut the fuck up every once and awhile, and was actually pretty important.

And new Maiden isn't terrible at all, it's not re-living the glory days no, but you're a fucking moron if you think that's the standard for a 40 year old band.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:22 pm 

Turner wrote:

Completely agree with these and most of the other bands you listed at the bottom, except for Immortal. All Shall Fall was awesome!

AmberSilkAmbiguity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:35 pm 

absurder21 wrote:
LOL the last two Burzum albums have been way worse then the most commercial bands in metal's recent attempts to stay a float. Totally wish Euronymous killed him, cos at this point I'm more interested in seeing what he'd do with Mayhem, cos Varg has had pretty muvh NOTHING past those four albums he recorded in the same year, and he's only gotten crazier since getting out of prison. Euronymous was no class act either, but at least he seemed to shut the fuck up every once and awhile, and was actually pretty important.

And new Maiden isn't terrible at all, it's not re-living the glory days no, but you're a fucking moron if you think that's the standard for a 40 year old band.

I don't think you are doing justice to the word "Moron." I think one's stupidity is not realizing that Maiden is not making the same albums they were making in the 80's, but also a realization that Varg last few albums possess an air of cultural and sophistication you will not find in any other BM. He makes nothing complex at all--he does not need to--Grand pianos, string music and whatever else "elements" from other forms of music does not have to enter his musical style. He has the capability to repeat his melodies over and over again which inevitably, for the attentive listener, bring a strong "aroma of culture" that not many BM seem to posses in any wide extent. I dread his "classics." I have the conviction that they reek of weakness and angst (and I know I am not alone on that issue). But he has gotten rid of that. I have no support or care for his nonsensical ideologies and never have cared for him as a person. I don't make it personal and neither will I ever have that approach with music and politics in which, if they correlate, will delude one from enjoying the music solely. He can believe in whatever he wishes as long as he does not cause harm to rest of the humanity. The listener is imperative. And the composer is he who makes music from the heart and soul, which is what varg, is doing so, must the listener realize that, he (the listener) will inevitably dismiss his music altogether (not that it matter in any way, ultimately) because of his history and him as a character? I disregard his lyrical content as I don't understand Norwegian, nor do I have the desire to decipher his lyrical content, nor the time (as there are infinitely more important books to read). I don't seek spiritual importance in his ideologies, either. I believe his MUSIC is like wine, the more in storage, the better it will become. You are letting Varg's "rantings" delude you from his music. You are wishing that the ever-pretentious and coward that is Euronymous would kill someone that is making some great, authentic BM music? Your user name is quite apt for the type of poster you appear to be (I will not make any judgments in your genuine character as I couldn't care less!). In any case, dismissing someone is vastly an easier task than contemplating his, however, implicit, but ultimately explicit value. I will also mention that I rarely listen to Burzum.

-Benedict de Spinoza

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:19 pm 

Children of Bodom. I liked the first 2, maybe 3 albums, then I have no idea what happened, but their music of the last 10 years has been a mess. It sounds like a bad modern take on a CoB cover band.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:10 pm 

I'm glad someone mentioned Motorhead. I have no interest in anything they've done since 1916 (with the exception of Inferno, which kicked ass). They may use (mostly) the same formula as the classic albums but the quality just isn't there anymore.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:56 pm 

novakm wrote:
I'm glad someone mentioned Motorhead. I have no interest in anything they've done since 1916

Come on, Lemmy's been going for a long time, but not THAT long!

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:00 pm 

Opus wrote:
novakm wrote:
I'm glad someone mentioned Motorhead. I have no interest in anything they've done since 1916

:lol:

While I'm normally very receptive to a long-running band's newer material, Running Wild have fallen far. Take a good, long look at the cover of Shadowmaker:
Spoiler: show
let that bland, listless image represent the uninspired music within. But at least their classics will be with us forever!

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:33 pm 

Opus wrote:
novakm wrote:

:lol: touche!

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:51 pm 

:hyper: ^Yaaaay the last three posts were so fun :-P

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:29 pm 

I'm actually very happy with the direction Iron Maiden has taken. It seems like they've evolved, like they are making music for the right reasons, namely expressing something. The 21st century album are more complex and have more power than anything they have ever done because now it's not trying to write singles, but to try to make music that satisfies the needs of an artist.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:39 pm 

Turner wrote:

I think Mechanize is their best album. It gives me everything I wanted in a Fear Factory album, so I think their newer stuff is just as good as their early stuff. Transgression can get the hell outta here. :P

As much as I hate to say it, Meshuggah are at this stage now. I loved everything they've done, with Chaosphere and Catch 33 in my top albums of all time. However, their last two albums, ObZen and Koloss, show me a band stagnating, even though I can see they've got some good ideas in there. I'd like to see them just go all out on their next one, if they don't disband, which is a possibility.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:12 pm 

Opus wrote:
novakm wrote:

Reminds me of when I saw them live last year, Lemmy announced "This song is from 1916..." Before chuckling and adding "The album, not the year..."

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. The well is far from empty, I'm pretty sure they refill it with water from the well of youth.

I feel Darkthrone saw that their well was running dry, and went to find a new well.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:08 pm 

absurder21 wrote:
LOL the last two Burzum albums have been way worse then the most commercial bands in metal's recent attempts to stay a float.

Like which bands? Satyricon? Darkthrone?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next