Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:20 pm 

I guess from the title, this album will be more Southern than the previous one. I'm glad this band is pushing forward this style. I really loved They Call Me Black Devil. Awesome, doomy, bluesy while still Black Metal at the same time.

Here's the artwork:

If any of you find any leaks to their new track, please share. I'm so hyped out now. =)

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:23 pm 

Yeeeeeeeeeeeees! I love their album The Great Southern Darkness. I'm pumped for this! :hyper: Awesome album art too.

Also, the album title is simply the best.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:44 pm 

A French band writing songs about gators and the deep American south...haha, somehow that strikes me as so weird.

nevertheless, they're kind of interesting, and I might check this new stuff out. Sorry I missed their set at MdF...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:47 pm 

It is weird cause it's not like they know much about either. I haven't listened to anything after Manifesting the Raging Beast. SO maybe I'll go catch up and see if I'll be interested in this.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:55 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
It is weird cause it's not like they know much about either. I haven't listened to anything after Manifesting the Raging Beast. SO maybe I'll go catch up and see if I'll be interested in this.

Ah well, we don't really know that, do we? For all we know the guys in the band might have a lodge somewhere in Florida where they spend half the year getting up to all kinds of orgiastic and gator-shootin' antics...

Doesn't seem too likely though, I admit...

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:56 pm 

Yea I doubt that highly. I'll go out and say that yea... that isn't the case.

Anyway I really do like the artwork for the release.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:22 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

Ah well, we don't really know that, do we? For all we know the guys in the band might have a lodge somewhere in Florida where they spend half the year getting up to all kinds of orgiastic and gator-shootin' antics...

Doesn't seem too likely though, I admit...

Spoiler: show

I don't think it's that weird, and they nail the southern aesthetics pretty well.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:24 pm 

You are from the netherlands. a blownout trailer with a board thrown through it from most likely a tornado... doesn't scream southern. That looks like it could just as easily be North Dakota.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:52 pm 

Well it doesn't scream southern, but it certainly reminds me of the south. Especially in combination with the couple of Glorior Belli songs that pop into my head while looking at that photo. American stereotypes from the viewpoint of a european I guess.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:55 pm 

Yea that sounds more likely. anyway I'll give it a listen and sample their other stuff that I wasn't interested in because it was supposed to be an influx of southern influences.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:50 pm 

I found a short teaser: https://soundcloud.com/gloriorbelli/i-a ... he-gave-me

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:53 pm 

I like the title/cover combination. "Gators Rumble, Chaos Unfurls." And that's exactly what the cover shows. I wish more bands were so forthcoming. I'll have to check these guys out sometime.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:08 pm 

As an actual person from the American south (south Carolina, my ancestors fought in the confederacy as well) Im gonna go ahead and say that yeah nothing about that image screams "southern" for me.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:25 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:

That sounded awesome! I'm super stoked about this album now.

hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:33 pm 

They should write a song about grits and fried chicken. Maybe deep-fried coke as well while they are at it.

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:59 pm 

Whoa, I always thought that the "Southern" in The Great Southern Darkness meant Southern like South of Heaven, "Sign of the Southern Cross," not actually about the South! I had these guys for some kind of DsO-esque band back in the day, but I guess I was wrong. Makes me want to check them out more, at any rate.

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:38 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

you should definitely check out their last couple of albums, much better than their early stuff imo

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:59 am 

henkkjelle wrote:

Am I the only one who couldn't stream this? :( Those who heard it, how does it sound like?

TheTrueSeker wrote:
Whoa, I always thought that the "Southern" in The Great Southern Darkness meant Southern like South of Heaven, "Sign of the Southern Cross," not actually about the South! I had these guys for some kind of DsO-esque band back in the day, but I guess I was wrong. Makes me want to check them out more, at any rate.

That's what I thought at 1st. But when I heard They Call Me Black Devil, the south wasn't just in name, it was also in spirit and in music. All the notes they play, were all bluesy and screams, southern to me, at least from a foreigner's perspective.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:30 am 

Deathstalker1985 wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:

you should definitely check out their last couple of albums, much better than their early stuff imo

Just did.... early stuff is still much much better.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:41 pm 

Never heard of that band, I'm a bit curious now.

As for the whole "French band wallows in US culture" thing, well, don't we have American bands all about the Scandinavian forests, German bands all about Route 66, Greek bands all about Ancient Egypt, and Swedish bands all about the Crusades? It's not all necessarily phony, it's just that it'll be from a fantasy approach rather than a manifestation of the band members' background.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:48 pm 

it's not that it's deep in US culture, it's the automatic assumption it's the deep south where quite a few people from the south don't see it. fleur de lis and gators doesn't mean all the south lives in busted up trailers like their promo pics.

And it's not like those US bands you are talking about aren't given shit for the same reason.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:05 pm 

Fair enough. And granted, this kind of über cliché depiction of a place is bound to be particularly cringe-worthy, and even off-putting for people who know the actual place well. I get that every time I'm watching a good Hollywood movie or TV show and suddenly, there's a scene or episode in Paaaris. With the Eiffel Tower right behind you wherever you sit, every street paved like in the Middle-Ages, and every single human being chain-smoking, preferably while playing the accordion. :D

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:19 pm 

What you are telling me that Paris really isn't like a 1950's Pink Panther cartoon? I'm crushed!!!! haha.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:28 pm 

Another teaser from their Soundcloud. Sounding good, with more bluesy stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/gloriorbelli/a-hoax-a-croc

A funny bit from FB that made me wonder if Billy Bayou is reading this thread. lol.

Glorior Belli Official from Facebook wrote:
To anyone wondering whether it's legit or not for a bunch of French guys to sing about the deep South - Louisiana was an administrative district of New France and under French control from 1682–1762 and 1802–04. Basically what we mean is, we own(ed) you bitches.

Here's their official FB page: https://www.facebook.com/gloriorbelli

TheWellOfSouls
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:31 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:
As for the whole "French band wallows in US culture" thing, well, don't we have American bands all about the Scandinavian forests, German bands all about Route 66, Greek bands all about Ancient Egypt, and Swedish bands all about the Crusades? It's not all necessarily phony, it's just that it'll be from a fantasy approach rather than a manifestation of the band members' background.

Well put.

Also ones who giggle about Frenches singing USA-ish have to learn a little bit of American 'history'.

Waiting for the new record!

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:11 pm 

Just as I was preparing to add my personal appreciation for this band and my excitement for a new album, that Facebook quote had to pop up and try my patience. "We own you bitches"? Seriously? What a backwards way to handle that sort of criticism. He could've noted cultural commonalities or even his own affinities for the American South, but he went the "nah just suck it" route. I'm by no means a flagwaver (neither national nor confederate) but that kind of retort seems more than a little juvenile. Still love their music, though.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:18 pm 

that facebook quote makes me groan. I thought they were adults in this band.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:21 pm 

I think I only heard the first album a few years ago, I regret not staying on top of this band.

EDIT: ^Nevermind...

TheWellOfSouls
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:24 am 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
Just as I was preparing to add my personal appreciation for this band and my excitement for a new album, that Facebook quote had to pop up and try my patience. "We own you bitches"? Seriously? What a backwards way to handle that sort of criticism. He could've noted cultural commonalities or even his own affinities for the American South, but he went the "nah just suck it" route. I'm by no means a flagwaver (neither national nor confederate) but that kind of retort seems more than a little juvenile. Still love their music, though.

So when metal bands call you "motherfuckers" from stage during their shows, show you middle finger or say "fuck you" - it means they hate you, don't respect you and wish you bad? Come on... Since when metal audience is so sensetive? It's just a way to put words to sound cocky, especially considering that people weren't trying to be very polite bitching about french-usa tpic, so they've just got what they asked for.
We're not a bunch of elitists on an english dinner here, are we?

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:33 am 

Yes we are. And that's what a forum is for. To bitch about that, and really I can't even remember the last time I've been to a show that had a band do that. So quite frankly I can expect more.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:47 am 

It's probably the same member who said something akin to "good riddance" when the front man of Suicide Silence died.

Oh, I found the tweet: ''There's one less of those gay emocore kids alive. God bless motorcycles!''

Classy. The recent facebook message doesn't bother me that much though.

TheWellOfSouls
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:28 am 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Yes we are. And that's what a forum is for. To bitch about that, and really I can't even remember the last time I've been to a show that had a band do that. So quite frankly I can expect more.

I see. Well, 70% of the bands (big and small) I see on the local shows or big festivals do that. It's just a way of a verbal ass-kick, that's it. People who take stuff like this personally should listen to Katy Perry.

henkkjelle wrote:
It's probably the same member who said something akin to "good riddance" when the front man of Suicide Silence died.

Oh, I found the tweet: ''There's one less of those gay emocore kids alive. God bless motorcycles!''

Classy. The recent facebook message doesn't bother me that much though.

Nah, the SS line wasn't put by any of the members of the band, it was one of the page admin's prank-fuckups that wasn't even supposed to be on GB's but on a personal page of some dude, he just really messed up. Yet, guess what - tons of butt-hurt people started crying about this of course. And then when the actual truth was found out - the other part of people started whining that they are now disappointed in GB's "kickassness", because that stuff about SS was so "cool and kvlt to say".
So as you see - people just need a reason to bitch about :D Long live the drama! :D

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:04 pm 

TheWellOfSouls wrote:
So when metal bands call you "motherfuckers" from stage during their shows, show you middle finger or say "fuck you" - it means they hate you, don't respect you and wish you bad? Come on... Since when metal audience is so sensetive? It's just a way to put words to sound cocky, especially considering that people weren't trying to be very polite bitching about french-usa tpic, so they've just got what they asked for.

I'm not really seeing the similarities between "let's make some noise, motherfuckers!" and "how dare you criticize me, you are beneath me." I don't take personal offense at his comments, either; I had one of those moments of vicarious embarrassment at watching someone called out respond with a level of childishness that probably made the situation worse. I saw it as an opportunity to hear GB's philosophical reasons for their apparent interest in American Delta blues, musically and culturally, which honestly I'd wondered about myself. Instead we got the "tr00er than thou" treatment. I was fine with the response until that last idiotic line.

Also I'm not sure if you're familiar with the concepts of "punching up" versus "punching down," i.e.: "mocking those more powerful" versus "being mocked by those in power," but considering the weird, proprietary tone in that FB post, he was definitely punching down. Generally not a good idea to do that. And that tone of colonial authorship doesn't jibe well with the image of the band sitting destitute around a busted up trailer, which is sort of where the whole criticism came from originally.

I do understand your point about being cocky, but I also believe cockiness is exactly the wrong way to respond to a suspicion of a lack of authenticity.

TheWellOfSouls
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:32 pm 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
TheWellOfSouls wrote:

I'm not really seeing the similarities between "let's make some noise, motherfuckers!" and "how dare you criticize me, you are beneath me." I don't take personal offense at his comments, either; I had one of those moments of vicarious embarrassment at watching someone called out respond with a level of childishness that probably made the situation worse. I saw it as an opportunity to hear GB's philosophical reasons for their apparent interest in American Delta blues, musically and culturally, which honestly I'd wondered about myself. Instead we got the "tr00er than thou" treatment. I was fine with the response until that last idiotic line.

Also I'm not sure if you're familiar with the concepts of "punching up" versus "punching down," i.e.: "mocking those more powerful" versus "being mocked by those in power," but considering the weird, proprietary tone in that FB post, he was definitely punching down. Generally not a good idea to do that. And that tone of colonial authorship doesn't jibe well with the image of the band sitting destitute around a busted up trailer, which is sort of where the whole criticism came from originally.

I do understand your point about being cocky, but I also believe cockiness is exactly the wrong way to respond to a suspicion of a lack of authenticity.

Yes, I perfectly understand what you mean.
Yet it's completely wrong to take it as "how dare you critisize me and so on" thing, since like I said before the band is facing flames about this topic for years now (I'm not talking about MA particularly, it comes from different sides). I'd consider it as "i'm goddamn sick of this talks, screw you". Especially it's weird to hear these lines from actual american people, who kinda must know about their past and all. I remember recommending GB to one of my metal pals and first thing I heard was "wat, frogs singing about cowboys?". I think it speaks for itself. Ignorance it is.
And since the new album, as they say, is going to be even "more southern" and they announced the conception, the image etc - of course the smartass people didn't take too long to show up and start this polemic about what France has to do with US, - on GB's fb page and on forums. So I can imagine how fed up they are with this kind of thing and I can explain it as some sort of "fu" in the moment of rage, directed to ones who actually bitch about it, not to americans in general. And it has nothing to do with this power thing... It's just a stupid facebook, afterall... If you want to hear his philosophical views - you can find them in the interviews, past and upcoming ones, or just ask him/them personally.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:35 pm 

While I can't say I've been aware of the ongoing controversy over a French black metal band digging into American blues, I can easily imagine; after all, we are the country that came up with "freedom fries," possibly the dumbest moment in legislative history. For some reason I've tended not to read up on a lot of bands, even ones I really like, so for the most part I miss out on things like this. Again, though, even for reasons outside of the whole authenticity argument, "we own you bitches" is just a ... facepalmy thing to say. I'll also repeat that this doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the band, and I'm not offended by something not directed at me.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:32 pm 

Well, it said "we own(ed) you bitches", so it seems to be a bit more tongue-in-cheek than simply saying "we own you bitches". Let's all keep our pants on shall we? This is getting silly.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:18 am 

anyone else notice the little toads with trumpets at the bottom of the new artwork? :lol:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:32 am 

Cool art, but I didn't know these guys were Boy Scouts. You learn something every day!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:58 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
A French band writing songs about gators and the deep American south...haha, somehow that strikes me as so weird.

I mean it sounds weird but you got to remember the French have a big foothold in the South. It makes more sense then it seems lol.

Definitely interesting and the artwork is fantastic.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:16 pm 

All right, i'm a bit sorry for bringing that up and opening this can o' worms...I too had no idea there was a controversy and I didn't actually intend to criticise the band for the mystique they choose to adopt. I'm aware of the strong French influence in USAmerican culture, especially the south, but it just seems to be something far removed from the French people of today. Maybe the guys in the band do spent time over there, but as far as I know their performance at Deathfest this year was their first appearance as a band on these shores. I guess it's ok for them to hail this particular fantasy, whatever it really is.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next