Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:12 pm 

strange i've never heard of deathmetal.org, probably for a reason.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:34 am 

Goddamn, that piece by Brett comes off as a first time listener of TRoB reviewing the album. Some points maybe valid but there seems to be a gross exaggeration in the write up. At least he didn't call TRoB a nu-core black metal band.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:31 am 

His logic seems to be: If we didn't know about this band before they must be considered newcomers, even if they are already active for ten years and have released three full lengths (and one awesome demo I might add).
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Last edited by inhumanist on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:32 am 

It's just that Conservationism guy's blog. He was lame here, why would you expect his blog to be any different?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:36 am 

I'm not gonna rule out that he's one of the authors (even though he was generally less articulate) but even then it would hardly be "his" blog.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:52 am 

Well, I'm pretty sure he's that Brett Stevens guy, who seems to write the vast majority of posts on there.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:12 pm 

Where is this filler on the released tracks that some of you talk about? They all sound fine to me. It's not like they're "Kain's Countenance Fell" or something.

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:19 am 

So the album is available on Van records now. I can't wait to hear it

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:41 am 

...along with every other release on LP. Seriously considering buying them all and ruining whats left of my bank account.

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:16 pm 

Leaked

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:20 pm 

MazeofTorment wrote:
...along with every other release on LP. Seriously considering buying them all and ruining whats left of my bank account.

I bought the blue DLP and the cd. Shipping cost me 20 Euro... not complaining though really.

My collection

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:06 am 

Boring album. Meh. Some good moments but his most mediocre release by far.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:11 am 

Huh, didn't exactly get into this one as much as I hoped on the first listen. Same thing happened with the last album but I ended up enjoying that one more, so who knows.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:09 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Huh, didn't exactly get into this one as much as I hoped on the first listen. Same thing happened with the last album but I ended up enjoying that one more, so who knows.

Yeah, same here. Only listened to it once though, so I'll see how I feel about it after a few more listens tomorrow. It just hasn't really clicked for me yet, but I can tell it's the sort of album that will take a while to grow on me, so I'm not too disappointed (yet).

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:33 pm 

Bitch, I didn't know what to think about Rain Upon the Impure on the first three or four listens. Now, I think it's one of the best things ever.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:47 pm 

Rain upon the Impure was like a wall of noise to me at first. Eventually I really started to pay attention to it and now I love that album. Still the best TroB has to offer if you ask me.

I'll check this new release in a few days I guess.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:59 pm 

I'm kind of surprised to see that so many consider Rain upon the Impure a grower, as I fell in love with it on first listen. The somewhat obscured nature of the mix just adds to the majesty and power of it, not to mention that monstrous guitar tone. If I have one complaint, it's that the drums might be a tad low in the mix for my liking, but otherwise it's 'pristine' in a filthily beautiful way.

I haven't checked this out yet, since I can't find a trace of it anywhere, but I'm hoping it becomes a standout in a rather unremarkable year musically for me.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:03 pm 

it's pretty good so far on first listen, halfway through. definitely more like foulest semen than his other 2.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:07 pm 

listened a couple times through now, and hasnt hit me nearly as hard as foulest semen did when i first heard that. some really good moments but seems to be quite a few quite average moments too

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:21 pm 

it definitely has a great atmosphere though. otherworldly at times, i need to give it about another 10 listens before i decide haha.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:27 am 

I didn't know what to make of Rain Upon the Impure on the first listening, but that was in part because I had the volume much too low. The second listen, Soliloquy and Blood Vaults I really clicked.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:05 am 

So I checked out the new one and I'm a bit underwhelmed. The only song that stuck out was Daemon. The rest was a bit like TRoB resembling background music that knew what it was but didn't knew where to go. The transitions were lacking energy and while there were some good riffs (although they thinned out as the album progressed) the song structures seemed to make them somewhat ineffective. The album has atmosphere, but atmosphere is just a stage. The actors however seemed to suffer from severe amnesia regarding the plot. That's just my first impression though.

Last edited by inhumanist on Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:09 am 

Hmm. Into the 5th track at the moment and it seems to have a lot of filler moments. The pre-released tracks seem to be the better ones on the album so far.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:13 pm 

I haven't listened to it yet, but it's disheartening to see everyone go from maximum hype and jizzing from the leaked songs to basically "meh" over the full album. I hope it's better than the impression I'm getting here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:20 pm 

It's a good album, I didn't hear any "filler." Clearly this will take some time to really get the full scope of, but I found it quite good. Slow and paced, but very ominous and dark for all that. He seems to have really come into an iconoclastic, signature sound with this one. It's very ritualistic and crushing. I thought it was a really cool listen, he has kept his integrity.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:23 pm 

Stabwound wrote:
I haven't listened to it yet, but it's disheartening to see everyone go from maximum hype and jizzing from the leaked songs to basically "meh" over the full album. I hope it's better than the impression I'm getting here.

I honestly wouldn't be too concerned. It's a very... dense album, I think, but every time I listen to it I'm liking it more and more so I'm glad I didn't let myself get too disappointed after my first impression of it. This album has an atmosphere like nothing else I've heard, and I don't hear any filler either.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:29 pm 

ive listened to it quite a few times now, and id have to agree somewhat with the statement of it having filler. doesnt come across as consistent and captivating over the entire album duration as did with foulest semen. to me anyway. the daemon/malefica double at the start is fucking beastly though

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:30 pm 

The two longest songs, "Spires, The Wailing City" and "A Failed Exorcism" were the best to me on first listen. Really immersive stuff.

I don't expect this one to beat out Foulest Semen, that one was just a masterpiece, but I think it will be very, very good in its own right. It's darker and the songwriting is tighter and more dense, controlled, etc.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:06 pm 

a failed exorcism is definitely a great song.

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:23 am 

This isn't easily listening pop music, it's underground black metal and was never intended to appeal to every metal head. It hasn't been out long enough for fans to really rate how it stacks up to rain and shrine (for me his best to date) let alone people who have just discovered the band because of recent interest.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:34 am 

mindshadow wrote:
This isn't easily listening pop music, it's underground black metal and was never intended to appeal to every metal head. It hasn't been out long enough for fans to really rate how it stacks up to rain and shrine (for me his best to date) let alone people who have just discovered the band because of recent interest.

You're somewhat mistaken here. This is underground black metal. The Ruins of Beverast is actually a rather renowned band, known by name at least to most who follow the scene closely. It has gathered a rather impressive following, and it's obvious that there are certain expectations put to each release (especially considering that they're relatively infrequent).

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:49 am 

But von Meilenwald writes most specifically for me! I discovered Rain all by myself in 2008, trudging knee deep in the blood and guts mire that is youtube, now everyone's listening to The Ruins of Beverast and quoting them like they're a household name :cry:

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:40 am 

From an underground perspective they aren't underground, from a mainstream perspective they totally are. It's a completely gradual transition people. Since we're MA regulars and are therefore geeks each of us probably knows 666 bands that are much more obscure than TRoB and therefore assumes that's the actual underground, but who says that's the correct way to draw the line? These things aren't as clear cut as they were in 1990 because we have the internet and can get the information we want about any band in an instant. An underground community and underground zines and mouth to mouth propaganda and all that stuff that defined the underground back then has become more or less obsolete.

Dimmu Borgir has 440839 listeners on lastfm.
Immortal has 215267.
Absu has 58035.
TRoB has 20713.
Graupel has 6832.
Creatura has 163.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:11 pm 

The Ruins of Beverast promoted one of their songs, and got coverage on it, on Pitchfork, which is enough for me to say they're pretty well known for an underground band.

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:46 am 

After reading some of the posts here, I was starting to get disappointed and worried that I was gonna be let down with the new album. Boy was I wrong. The album is much better than what I thought it was going to be based on the posts here. I didn't listen to any of the released tracks before the album came out other than Malefica a few months ago, and I'm glad I did so. I'm loving this! I personally don't understand the talk of the album having "filler". At almost 1 hour and 20 minutes, I find the album fly's by and ends before I'm ready for it to end.

I can't really say where it ranks among his previous releases yet. This album needs much more listens to fully grasp, much like the rest of his discography did. But it is in no way inferior to any of his previous albums. Blood Vaults is just as good as anything Meilenwald's released, in my opinion.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:05 pm 

The album has to click to me in its entirely but so far I really LOVE ''Daemon''. That's one boss of a tune.

Tired
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:20 pm 

I really started getting into this after listening to it 3 times. The slower parts started making sense too. This is a lot more like diSEMBOWELMENT than any kind of black metal, but considering they are one of the best bands ever, that's hardly a bad thing.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4