Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:41 am 

Article wrote:
Bad news from the !T.O.O.H.! camp. The band's vocalist and guitarist, Josef "Humanoid" Vesely, has been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia. The band informed us via their Facebook page. Despite that, the band has completed the writing process for their forthcoming album, which they expect to start recording around September/October.

The full statement reads as follows: "Greetings to all fans !T.O.O.H.! - We have a lot of news! Let's start with the most serious: brother fell ill in late March paranoid schizophrenia. Yes, it's not exactly the type of information for immediately spreading... However, we decided for to publication. Humanoid is the main brain of band and his illness has a huge impact on our musical plans. Antipsychotic drugs help him, but have many side effects. Practicing songs, programming, it's all for him extremely difficult. Since we do not know how the disease develops, we can not guarantee any live performances and our other musical activities... I personally believe that it will be OK."

"The good news is that the forthcoming album we want completed. Album will be contain only seven songs that we have prepared before the outbreak of the disease and maybe some old songs with new face... All new songs are now ready with supporting tools for recording! We start around September, October... Keep up!"

Well, can't see I saw that coming. Hopefully this doesn't put a crimp in their album plans.
Death metal is eternal.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:01 am 

hopefully this doesn't put a crimp in their Maryland Deathfest plans...
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:17 am 

Well, atleast he's living his music.....

:(

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:46 am 

At least the majority of the new album is finished. Here's hoping he pulls through.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:18 am 

That's very sad

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:52 am 

iAm wrote:
Here's hoping he pulls through.

What? He doesn't have cancer or anything of the sort.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:57 am 

Can't say it was a surprise to me.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:02 am 

I'm just waiting for a "that explains his crazy vocal performance"-post for total facepalming.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:24 am 

droneriot wrote:
iAm wrote:
Here's hoping he pulls through.

What? He doesn't have cancer or anything of the sort.

Wouldn't schizophrenia get in the way of touring and what not? Yeah he's not gonna die or anything but it could affect the band itself.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:29 am 

Well, that fucking sucks.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:30 am 

It could get in the way of his work in the band, yeah. Can't really perform when your mind is going wacko. The Wikipedia article on schizophrenia is pretty well done, might be worth reading if you're interested in what may be going on with Vesely:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia#Symptoms

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:57 am 

droneriot wrote:
I'm just waiting for a "that explains his crazy vocal performance"-post for total facepalming.

I wouldn't say that his vocal style is a direct result of having any risk factors for schizophrenia, but really - when you think of people who might be susceptible to a mental disorder like that, does it seem to ring closer for the members of Bolt Thrower or !T.O.O.H.!? It's most likely a coincidence, of course, but it's one worth noting. I'm sure there'd be similar responses of "Well, that's fitting" if Malefic from Xasthur committed suicide.

That being said, this does really suck. :( I get the feeling that their next album was going to be their last anyways, so I hope they're able to hurry up and make it before Humanoid's condition gets to the point where he's unable to contribute musically.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:07 pm 

Hopefully it'll work out. Psychiatric medicine has been growing with many new medicines having a better benefit:side effect ratio, so there's a good chance he should be able to manage the problem with time and help. I hope for him and his band that he's well.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:25 pm 

MalignantThrone wrote:
I wouldn't say that his vocal style is a direct result of having any risk factors for schizophrenia, but really - when you think of people who might be susceptible to a mental disorder like that, does it seem to ring closer for the members of Bolt Thrower or !T.O.O.H.!? It's most likely a coincidence, of course, but it's one worth noting. I'm sure there'd be similar responses of "Well, that's fitting" if Malefic from Xasthur committed suicide.

Well, during my various stays at mental instutions (for paranoid schizophrenia among other things, incidentally) I have met a good number of schizophrenics, and all I can say is that the vast majority of them are very "normal", ordinary people. The people you'd consider "crazy" at first glance are a VERY small minority. Schizophrenics, as a general rule, are no more likely to perform or listen to "crazy" music than healthy people, that is, the percentage of schizophrenics into "crazy" music is no higher than that of healthy people, based on my observations over the years. So really, someone from Bolt Thrower being diagnosed with schizophrenia (which may well be a possibility, and the band just chooses not to make it public) would surprise me no more than someone from !T.O.O.H.! having such a diagnosis.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:26 pm 

Strangelly fitting that a guy from !T.O.O.H.! of all bands went nuts. Still, shit sucks.

Illuminati322
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:13 pm 

This is hardly the end of his career.....people with mental illnesses often have a rare exotic genius that allows them to create great art. Look no further than Peter Green, Syd Barrett (his retirement was actually a conscious and voluntary decision on his part), Roky Erickson, Daniel Johnston, etc. And above posters are correct, paranoid schizophrenics (I've known two in my personal life) are rather normal and functional in social situations, and their problem, though a struggle, is controllable with medication and therapy. Right now we should just focus on well wishes and fan support.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:53 pm 

Something always struck me with this band. I've never even listened to them. Now I realize that this must be it. I mean, it makes sense.

irondonkey
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:30 pm 

Sucks. Get well, man.

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:46 pm 

One of the members of this band I was in has schizophrenia. It definitely would explain some of the things he did/said.

Hopefully this doesn't affect them playing at MDF.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:38 pm 

Working at a mental health clinic I've had a pretty different experience, droneriot. There definitely are "normal" schizophrenics, but I've seen a lot of the yells-at-invisible-Jesus, believes they're the son of Marilyn Monroe, karate chops the air sort as well. Maybe it's because I work at a mental health emergency clinic, rather than a long-term facility, but I've seen my share of the true crazies in addition to the more stable ones.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:26 pm 

Illuminati322 wrote:
This is hardly the end of his career.....people with mental illnesses often have a rare exotic genius that allows them to create great art. Look no further than Peter Green, Syd Barrett (his retirement was actually a conscious and voluntary decision on his part), Roky Erickson, Daniel Johnston, etc. And above posters are correct, paranoid schizophrenics (I've known two in my personal life) are rather normal and functional in social situations, and their problem, though a struggle, is controllable with medication and therapy. Right now we should just focus on well wishes and fan support.

Depending on the severity, it may or may not be completely controllable with medication. I hope for the best.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:48 pm 

I'm glad to see the band sticking with him and supporting them. Hopefully he is able to perform at MDF.

droneriot wrote:
It could get in the way of his work in the band, yeah. Can't really perform when your mind is going wacko. The Wikipedia article on schizophrenia is pretty well done, might be worth reading if you're interested in what may be going on with Vesely:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia#Symptoms

I would also like to encourage reading this, as a lot of comments about the nature of mental health diseases and disorders suggest a misunderstanding of them on even the most basic level.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:18 pm 

As a schizophrenic this thread is hilarious.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:35 pm 

The thing to wonder about is how bad his schizophrenia is. A lot of schizophrenics are capable of keeping their delusions and auditory hallucinations to themselves. I've talked with a few that used their delusions as conversation starters, which is quite awesome. In this situation, this is the best we can hope for, for the future of this band (and obviously, for the best of Josef Vesely).

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:34 am 

SweetSilence wrote:
As a schizophrenic this thread is hilarious.

also depressing

[/bad pun]

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:23 pm 

Update: apparently Humanoid isn't getting better, and the band are going to call it a day after this one last album:
Quote:
FIRST AND LAST
Hi, yesterday's show in Ostrava ended disastrously.
It was a kind of test, in which we failed. We found out that his brother's illness is incompatible with live performance.
Humanoid was after the performance hugely frustrated. He can't give his usual performance -it's for him too stressful.
Exist as studio project it is for him pointless. Democratic Solution will be our farewell.
Awaits us now still some work / vocals, mixing, the overall sound...

Way to make my shitty day even worse, !T.O.O.H.! :( Here's hoping they go out with a bang, at least.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:07 pm 

I was at that show. Humanoid was looking quite ok, but he was probably very unhappy with the sound. They failed to set-up decent sound and also it was extremely silent performance, almost like watching unplugged band. But my expectations about the upcoming album are big anyway. There was also some guy with hd cam with external mic and steadicam, I would like to see it again because of the weirdness of that show...

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:02 pm 

mental illness is a bitch, hope he gets better.

KC
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:21 am 

Music aside, I hope he gets well soon.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:20 pm 

I found some photos. Farewell ones?

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:40 pm 

Quote:
Unfortunately, !T.O.O.H.! will not be making it to the states to play MDF. The band had a return show in the Czech Republic over the weekend, but they found that one of the brothers' mental illness is too severe for them to be able to perform any live shows at all from this point forward.

With a Czech band dropping off the bill, we are filling the vacant space with another Czech band. CONTRASTIC will now be playing on Sunday at MDF XI.

Visit the link below for an updated list of bands for each day of the fest:

http://www.marylanddeathfest.com/runningorder.html

sucks about !T.O.O.H.! cancelling but atleast another awesome newly reformed Czech grind band is taking their spot at MDF, welcome back Contrastic!

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:34 am 

Watch!

http://youtu.be/0P-EImhBF9s

Reply to topic