HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:20 am 

Has anyone heard it yet? Thoughts?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:28 am 

Short answer: It's great.

Longer answer: It's really, really great. Diamonds was one of my favorite albums of 2010 and this actually manages to surpass it. Definitely better than the new Striker, which was the only band of this whole revival thing that I preferred over Enforcer. Basically Enforcer just took the crown back.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:31 am 

I'm listening to it now, and it's every bit as amazing as I expected. Would be a little further into it, but had to stop and replay Run For Your Life about 5 times in a row.

Yeah, this album is definitely banned from my car.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:37 am 

Talked about this in the 2013 thread. Plain fun heavy metal. The riffs and soling and writing are the power here. No huge surprises, just ripping headbanging material. It's also made great workout music for the short time I've had it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:02 am 

Have they fixed the super shitty vocals of the last two?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:06 am 

If you didn't like the vocals before, you won't like them here, they're the same as before (though this and Diamonds sounded way better than Into the Night, which admittedly had a pretty out-of-tune vocal performance).
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:10 am 

I remember hearing their debut and thinking it was pretty dull, by the numbers retro metal without much personality. Have they at least grown their own sound yet?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:11 am 

Fuck it then. But let's be honest, the sheer bouncyness of their sound is my main turn off.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:30 am 

Well they've surpassed Striker as my favorite retro metal type band, but yeah it's more of the same, just bigger and louder and faster. The main dude's statement was that they didn't try to change or evolve at all, just take the qualities that make them who they are and amplify them. So if you didn't like the previous albums, you won't like this. I happen to love this energetic throwback style of metal, so I think it's their best yet.

Here, this opening track is pretty indicative of the entire album. You can gauge whether or not you'll like this based on this alone:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:18 am 

Hm, based on that track they sound a fuck of a lot better than they did on Diamonds, which was basically cut-rate NWOBHM. This still has a lot of cut-rate NWOBHM in it but at least it's faster, more energetic, and with some more ambitious riffs thrown in here and there. The vocals sound a lot better, too.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:10 am 

I'd prefer a new Enforcer from Illinois release.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:11 am 

Haha me too ;)

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:01 pm 

It's slightly better but still irks me quite a bit. I suppose this will remain a Cauldron type situation.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:24 pm 

Listening to this at the moment, it is great. Whether I like it more than Diamonds is another thing. That album was way too catchy.

Edit - That scream at the beginning of the 7th track. Mother of God.

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:41 pm 

Musically, I think this one is a lot closer to Into The Night than Diamonds.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:13 pm 

I got this album earlier in the week. It's my first introduction to the band and I think they're a good fun heavy/speed metal band sans the vocals. The vocals are somewhat bearable if you just concentrate on the music which is quite groovy and has tons of melodic hooks and air-guitar-inducing-bouncy-ness (which turns Necro off). Still not convincing enough for me to make the effort to check out their entire discography.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:25 pm 

By all rights this should appeal to me. But there is just something about this band that seems to repel me, and I still cannot put my finger on it tbh. Not terrible though this song.

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:16 am 

Such a great mix of Kill 'Em All era Metallica with Killers era Maiden with the addition of more Mötley Crüe-esque vocals for the perfect amount of extra sleeze.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:03 pm 

HenryKrinkle31 wrote:
Musically, I think this one is a lot closer to Into The Night than Diamonds.

Agreed, it seems a lot more faster paced than Diamonds. I listened to this more during down time in work, enjoyed it more than my first listen, which had a good impression on me anyway. Think I'm gonna get a lot of playtime out of this.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:38 pm 

I listened to Into the Night a few times and dug it, but I totally skipped Diamonds. I'm totally loving this new one, though! So much energy!
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:16 pm 

I'm a big fan of all these retro/throwback bands coming out these days, so I may be biased, but I fucking LOVE this album. Unbelievably well executed speed metal with the ultimate heavy metal spirit. Heavy metal is alive!

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:12 pm 

Based off that one song alone, this is probably the best music they've put out. I'd have to hear the rest, but I'll probably really enjoy this album. I don't think their previous albums were particularly great, more run of the mill type stuff.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:53 am 

Diamonds is their best. Haven't listened to the new album more than once, so I can't really form a solid opinion about it. Still, Sweden's best new heavy band is Portrait.

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:28 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Haha me too ;)

They move slow...but I have hope.

Night_Moves
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:37 am 

I've streamed this album many times as I'm still waiting for the CD to arrive! Pre-ordered weeks and weeks ago and still nothing. "Death By Fire" is a really great record by one of my favourite (newer) bands, but I still think "Diamonds" is better in terms of the songs. This new one seems like more of a return to the speed metal sound of the debut, just with slightly improved vocals and killer solos. Saw Enforcer live back in November with Angel Witch and they melted my face off!

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:41 pm 

Getting a patch with the disc was a nice touch, I always enjoy things like that.

It doesn't beat Diamonds, but it's a worthwhile album. His vocals seem to be improving with every album. Big thumbs up from me.

ralfikk123
Waffle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:14 pm 

Is it me or does he and the dude from Skull Fist sound a lot alike?

"Whenever you dream you're holding the key, it opens the door to let you be free." - RJD

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:32 am 

I haven't bought it but wish I could afford doing so because I checked out the full album on Youtube and it's quite good.
Take Me Out Of This Nightmare is easily the best tracks!

The standard speed metal songs like the first two doesn't stand out that much to me anymore, they have already done very similar songs better before. Not to mention some verse sounded pretty much exactly like one on the debut... Except not as "fresh" if that's a word you can use when talking about retro metal like this haha.

And yes the vocalist was not that good on the debut, improved on Diamonds... But now he simply rules.
Yeah I really wish I could spend some money on this album

Reply to topic