Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:16 am 

So you have songs that are covered by multiple bands.
This thread is a "compare and contrast" of sorts, weighing one cover version over the other. Remember to include links for the songs you review so interested posters can check them out.

I'll start off with;

HALLOWED BE THY NAME - IRON MAIDEN

Solitude Aeturnus vs. Iced Earth

Solitude Aeturnus' version while certainly feeling more "grand" adds nothing (and takes away nothing) from Iron Maiden's original. Rob Lowe delivers a worthy vocal perfomance but it is one you shouldn't jump through hoops to hear. The guitarists whose names escape me do a great job with the harmonies and a lot in proving they have the stamina that matches Murray/Smith.
Iced Earth's version on the other hand sounds sterile (nothing "grand" here) and rather raw. But I love it for Matt's perfomance if nothing else. However, towards the end you feel as though they're rushing it and the end is bizarrely anticlimactic - nothing like Maiden's ending which still sends shivers down my spine to this day. Matt is a fine singer but he can't soar like Dickinson and Lowe can.

Verdict: SA's version reigns but IE's is woth checking out too!

Solitude Aeturnus - Hallowed Be Thy Name
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvDOhbyWeAA

Iced Earth - Hallowed Be Thy Name
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkQ9bVMzCvc

Tezcat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:17 pm 

I have a nice one too.

CIRCLE OF THE TYRANTS - CELTIC FROST

Obituary vs. Opeth

Aside from being more aggressive and a bit faster than the original, John Tardy's voice gives it a nice feeling of anguish and despair. The sound is the typical Morrisound death metal trademark of the time and, despite of that, the version is quite solid and heavy.

Opeth's version is not that heavy (but is a bit faster), but quite darker than Obituary's rendition of the song. The eerie piano intro, the keyboards and the short section near the middle of the song provide a disturbing atmosphere. Like Obituary before them, Opeth's put their own contribution. The final part of the song is even darker but more powerful, almost bombastic. They do not just repeat the notes, they add a bit of their own, and that's an accomplishment, even if you dislike their version.

Veredict:

While I really like Obituary's version, Opeth did an impressive job, re-creating a whole new sound to a classic metal anthem.

Obituary - Circle of the Tyrants (live) [the studio version seems impossible to find in YT]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3AkDheosmg

Opeth - Circle of the Tyrants
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCSFrP8P6QE

Last edited by Tezcat on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:36 pm 

This seems like fun, so I'll participate.

Beyond the Realms of Death - Judas Priest

Agent Steel vs Blind Guardian

The only problem I see with Agent Steel's version is the blatantly modern guitar tone, which is more than a bit annoying, but besides that, their cover is absolutely fantastic and a great tribute to JP. They even give their own spin on the legendary guitar solo towards the middle of the song, and manage not to ruin it! The cherry on top of the cake is the singer, Bruce Hall, who gives a really powerful and passionate performance (his "YEAH!" at the start of the chorus sounds like a pinch harmonic, for fuck's sake!). Overall, a great cover, as the band really make the song their own without stripping it of it's identity. Now, as for BG's version..... Well, I just don't feel it. Sure, everything's there and done well; the acoustic parts, the riffs, the solo..... But their version lacks the energy of Agent Steel's. Even Hansi sounds strained and forced, as if they didn't enjoy doing this cover.

Conclusion; AS wins without a shadow of a doubt. Sorry Bards, but I think you should stick to Queen and The Beach Boys when it comes to covers.

Last edited by ~Guest 282118 on Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tezcat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:48 pm 

Spoiler: show
Xlxlx wrote:
Sorry Bards, but I think you should stick to Queen and The Beach Boys when it comes to covers.

LOL

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:52 pm 

What? I think their covers of Spread Your Wings and Surfin' USA are terrific.

Tezcat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:11 pm 

Xlxlx wrote:
What? I think their covers of Spread Your Wings and Surfin' USA are terrific.

Same here. Don't get me wrong. It's just that your comment made me laugh, asi if you were saying "keep doing rock covers, you're better doing that than covering metal standards" and I found it funny.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:15 pm 

Tezcat wrote:
Xlxlx wrote:
I think their covers of Spread Your Wings and Surfin' USA are terrific.

Same here. Don't get me wrong. It's just that your comment made me laugh, asi if you were saying "keep doing rock covers, you're better doing that than covering metal standards" and I found it funny.

Well, when you put it that way..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

IdiotFlesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:06 am 

Xlxlx wrote:
This seems like fun, so I'll participate.

Beyond the Realms of Death - Judas Priest

Agent Steel vs Blind Guardian

The only problem I see with Agent Steel's version is the downtuning of the guitars, which is more than a bit annoying, but besides that, their cover is absolutely fantastic and a great tribute to JP.

These covers are in the same key.

~Guest 282118

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:07 am 

Well, I'm a complete ignorant when it comes to music theory, so I'll have to apologize for misusing the term. I think "guitar tone" is what I was looking for instead.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:37 am 

Deep Purple's Burn

WASP vs Riot

I think both are pretty good covers, but there are significant differences between the three. Both covers lack any real keyboard recreation of Jon Lord's impeccable organ playing and the multi-vocalist approach and they have a much heavier, more "metal" guitar tone. Riot's DiMeo has a bluesy tone that is more reminiscent of David Coverdale, but I'm a much bigger fan of Blackie Lawless' singing in general. It's a toss-up there. The Riot version features a much closer rendition of the song than WASP's. Lawless and co. play a fairly shorter version of Burn eliminating the classical solo Lord plays on keys and radically changes Blackmore's awesome solo. Riot, on the other hand, does a much closer copy of both solos. The keyboard solo is done on guitar and sounds pretty good! Riot also has a much more audible bass line than either versions before and Bobby Jarzombek does a superior job on drums compared the more simple, but still solid WASP version.

WASP
Riot

I think Riot's is better in almost every way. If we could get Blackie to sing on the Riot version, it'd be equal to the original.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:42 am 

I personally prefer Obituary's version of Circle of the Tyrants; I thought it did a better job of covering the heaviness and death metal asthetic of the original, while Opeth's is a little too overblown. Neither version is as good as the original.

While we're on the subject of Celtic Frost covers, there are two different versions of "Nocturnal Fear" out there and while this one is good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rec3fCeUAKw

...This one is simply better. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1rIh9O5KnA
It's faster, thrashier, heavier and angrier. I almost perfer this one to the original, in fact. Vocals might turn some people off, but they still somehow work well with the song. These guys are primarily a hardcore punk band, so if you are not really into that sound you might not like this as much as the dummy burger's, but I dunno, this is just good. Ripping thrash at it's finest.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:25 am 

ORGASMATRON - MOTORHEAD

Sepultura vs. Satyricon

People always say "nothing can top the original" but damn, if Sepultura's version of "Orgasamatron" isn't better than Motorhead's awesomely shambly original.
With the 'head version the riff is rather muddy and I always felt it was such a classic riff that ought to have shined more...Sepultura heard my call and their version has that mighty riff at the forefront with loads and loads of bite - it is ominous and in your face but groovy as hell and Max delivers a performance that is unabashedly gritty and perfectly deserving of the music, Lem couldn't have done it better!
Satyricon's version is passable but not spectacular and as thus falls short of Sepultura's interpretation. Satyricon are of course currently playing a groovy trancy kind of metal that fits perfectly with "Orgasmatron"'s aesthetic but Cavalera and company did a better job.

Sepultura - Orgasmatron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTLEW1n9 ... re=related
Satyricon - Orgasmatron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAwxW0NxP1M

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:16 am 

Cool thread!

Electric Funeral - Black Sabbath

Iced Earth vs. Cavalera Conspiracy

CC's version of the song features a sad attempt to replicate the "wah wah" sound of the original, with the guitar tone resembling a most atrocious Pantera clone. To make matters worse, they choose to incorporate some Zakk Wylde-style pinch harmonics in the most inappropriate places. As for the fast-ish part in the middle of the song, they tried to make it thrashy with some tupa tupa drumming and tremolo picking. No. Just No. :nono:

As for the Iced Earth cover, just listen to it. It's great. Schaffer & Co succeed in keeping the gloomy, doom-ish atmosphere of the song but at the same time adding their own character to it and not merely copying it. That's the most imporant difference with the Cavalera bros' attempt, as they try to turn a doom anthem into a tough-guy groove song of the Soulfly variety.

Iced Earth 10/10 I'd go as far as to say that I enjoy this as much as the original o_O

Cavalera Conspiracy 3/10 :thumbsdown:

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:02 pm 

tehfoks, I agree with you, the IE version is a treat and the Cavalera thing is atrocious.
Candlemass did it perfectly as well except that it is only a small part of a medley that also features "Symptom Of The Universe", "Supernaut", and others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_nU1GEAkAU

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:29 pm 

I would do it myself, but because I'm under a lot of time pressure can someone compare the Behemoth and Satyricon covers of Turbonegro's 'I got erection'?

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:22 pm 

Iron Maiden - Remember Tomorrow

Crowbar vs. Opeth

The Opeth version is nicely done, but doesn't really do anything more than the original, whereas Crowbar manage to fit it nicely to their doomy style. Crowbar for me!

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:36 pm 

Judas Priest - Dissident Aggressor

Forbidden vs Slayer

Forbidden seem to put more emphasis into the initial riff and have better vocals, where as Slayer definitely give the song a heavier, more thrash vibe, but like all their other covers, just sounds like a weird Slayer song. I give it to Forbidden.

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:40 pm 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
Iron Maiden - Remember Tomorrow

Crowbar vs. Opeth

The Opeth version is nicely done, but doesn't really do anything more than the original, whereas Crowbar manage to fit it nicely to their doomy style. Crowbar for me!

With all due respect, both of these are horrible :old: Come to think of it, I've never liked any Maiden covers, so maybe, just maybe... I'm too much of a Maiden fanboy and can't stand anyone doing their songs? Just a thought... :-D

@ iAmDisturbed Thanks for sharing that! Candlemass is epic as always!

Smalley wrote:
If I wanted a better version of something, I certainly wouldn't want it to start smoking crack, it'd get all fucked up and gross.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:01 am 

Yeah, me neither. I've yet to hear a band that pulls off Maiden except Maiden. Also, there's always been something that irks me about extreme metal covers of traditional metal bands. It just never works.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

tehfoks
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:25 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
There's always been something that irks me about extreme metal covers of traditional metal bands. It just never works.

QFT :nods:

Smalley wrote:

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:44 am 

tehfoks wrote:
Iced Earth 10/10 I'd go as far as to say that I enjoy this as much as the original o_O

vocals are ridiculous in the slow speechy parts

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:52 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Yeah, me neither. I've yet to hear a band that pulls off Maiden except Maiden. Also, there's always been something that irks me about extreme metal covers of traditional metal bands. It just never works.

Dream Theater's "To Tame A Land" manages to be both faithful and quite refreshing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VfPCK11tMg

sabbathfan4993
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:26 pm 

Little bit of thread necromancy here haha. Still a fun sounding thread so I'll go ahead and do one.

Bathory-Sacrifice

Tsjuder vs. Toxic Holocaust

Toxic Holocaust did a cover of this back in their demo days and of these two versions, stays more true to the original. It is played in a rawer thrash metal style which resembles Bathory's version more closely. However, it doesn't capture the same spirit as the original. Joel Grind's vocals sound almost bored at times and all in all, this cover brings nothing new to the table even though it is competent enough.

On the other hand, Tsjuder took a black metal classic and breathed new life into it. With the beefed up and more slick production, Tsjuder was able to make a song more than two decades old and make it sound absolutely vicious. From the pissed off vocals to the spot-on solo, Tsjuder definitely did Bathory justice.

Bottom Line: though there is no topping the original Bathory song, Tsjuder made the better cover.

Reply to topic