Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Daniel_2007_Pendulum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:40 am 

This year Norway's national final, Melodi Grand Prix 2013, welcomes the symphonic extreme metal band Gromth as a candidate (and a very strong one) to represent the country in the next Eurovision Song Contest, to be celebrated in Malmö in May.

The band collaborates with singer Emil Solli-Tangen with the song "Alone". Check it by yourselves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1O_5Bh97I

The song first competed on the first semi-final two weeks ago, and qualified to the Final after receiving maximum votes from the public. Will a metal act appear on the Eurovision stage for the first time since 2008, when Teräsbetoni represented Finland?

pastafarian
Liberalestest Hitler Jugend

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:19 am 

:nono:

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:26 am 

I agree with the rasta pasta.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:49 am 

Well I for one liked that its right up my musical alley.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:18 pm 

This was actually pretty cool. In a different way!

DeathcoreDecimator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:56 pm 

Yeah I agree with 693, it was definitely cool. Not something I'd listen to on a regular basis, but it's cool. The band's original vocalist is kinda too much to handle though.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:46 pm 

Is there something about Eurovision that just forces all vocalists to sing off key or do I have hearing problems? I wish these guys the best of luck in the competition but they were pretty terrible according to my tastes.
The way I see it, Eurovision has always been about gimmick. Something needs to stand out beyond the music. I think these hard rock and metal bands that have started appearing on the show haven't realized Lordi won because of the spectacle rather than the music. Then again, I stopped watching this atrocity of a show a long time ago so I may be wrong on how this all works. What I do know, though, is that no one on stage is playing their instruments, and that makes me mad.

Littlewolf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:29 pm 

Are Norwegians seriously considering of sending those guys as their representatives to Eurovision? They've completely lost it...

And what is this anyway? Some kind of parody of watered-down sympho black metal for progressive members of mainstream audience and eccentric grannies? please...

the whole thing wouldn't be half as tragic if they managed to find a decent vocalist - not this quasi-operatic, pseudo-tenor, weakling, no-good, incompetent idiot...

but, who the fuck cares? it' Eurovision...

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:53 pm 

This is even worse than the Keep of Kalessin song that was in this contest a few years back. Awful.

ThouShaltSuffer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:53 pm 

Keep of Kalessin went on Eurovision for Norway many years ago and failed, people stopped caring about them after that lol.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:15 am 

Eh, it's not bad. It reminds me to Nightwish. I think Norway has more good bands to put out, but in Eurovision? I'm not very fond into this program. Call me a liar, but it seems that is more fit to Pop bands to act in programs like this.

Mike_235
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:25 am 

Symphonic black metal to me has always been weak orchestral music combined with unimaginative "chugging" riffs. Not something I'm interested in.

Asmodeus8797
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:04 am 

I'd much rather that won the contest instead of some bland generic Euro-pop.
But I doubt the masses would vote for it.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:46 pm 

Not that I expected much from a band that apparently plays 'symphonic extreme metal', but damn, that's pretty terrible. Unimaginitive, overly bombastic, kitschy music that puts recent Dimmu Borgir records to shame in the cheese department.

They have a good chance of winning the EuroVision Song Contest.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:44 pm 

Staccato overload. What a mess!

Rild
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:25 pm 

Asmodeus8797 wrote:

No, the generic euro-pop should win, that's what Eurovision is for. Gromth is a terrible representation of metal to the masses. Metal would be much better off if all the symphonic bands played in some domed stadium symphony extravaganza, only there was a tragic roof collapse... rescue crews searched for days and managed to pull most of the fans from the rubble, but tragically all the band members were crushed, the flower of a whole scene squashed in full shitty bloom. Years later when the stadium was rebuilt legends persisted that the ghosts of the fallen hauntedit still, that you might hear tinsel-y synths and saccharine half-riffs bouncing and echoing through the lower levels of the arena like the breath of ghosts howling through catacombs, if you have occasion to walk through those chambers deep into the night, after all the business of the venue is done and all decent people have gone home to sleep. One janitor swears to his colleagues, his wife, and anyone at the local dive bar who will listen that numerous times while sweeping the floor of the arena after a show he's looked to the stage and seen the silhouette of a bear-sized Scandinavian headbanging frantically over a spectral keyboard, only to collapse abruptly in a mangled heap, as if reliving his last moments eternally. Some say the calamity was a result of engineering flaws in the building, stressed beyond the breaking point by a record snowfall in the days prior, and indeed this is the story that was reported widely by the press in the aftermath, which satisfied the curiosity of the average citizen who'd no reason to suspect anything out of the ordinary, but some survivors who were present that fateful night will swear, if you can convince them to open up about the experience at all, that they saw an apparition of Paul Baloff's face appear on the ceiling, and stayed there for about a minute until it collapsed. Witness accounts of the apparition's expression range from a glowering, fire-eyed rage, to a gleeful, almost maniacal grin, particularly in the precise moment the roof began to fall, as if laughing at their pitiful cries.

ld50
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:48 pm 

I managed to make it through the whole song without turning it off. It was well shot and the song was OK, I guess, but the following pretty much sums up my thoughts:
Mike_235 wrote:
Symphonic black metal to me has always been weak orchestral music combined with unimaginative "chugging" riffs. Not something I'm interested in.

Anyways, who cares if a metal band is on a televised music contest? Fuck those shows, they're of no consequence to metal or any other music of substance.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:08 pm 

Rild wrote:
Asmodeus8797 wrote:

No, the generic euro-pop should win, that's what Eurovision is for. Gromth is a terrible representation of metal to the masses. Metal would be much better off if [stupid bullshit follows]

That seems to be the reason why metal heads don't want these bands involved. I'm sure acts like Mayhem or Gorgoroth would just outright refuse to go. Enslaved or Immortal on the other hand might have considered. Dimmu Borgir would jump at the chance in half a minute.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:54 pm 

Oh sweet Satan. Honestly, the song sounds incredibly cheesy and the presence of Emil just adds to the levels of cheesiness that are already present seeing as the singer for Gromth is airing out his best Danni Filth impression. That being said, it's still better than Lordi.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:04 pm 

The harsh vocalist looked like Meat Loaf. That's all I have to say.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Reply to topic