Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:20 pm 

Hi all. So I had the pleasure of interviewing Paul Speckman a couple of weeks ago during a metal fest here in my country. He "left the cat out of the bag" on some things which I think will be interesting to hear about, namely an upcoming collaboration with Rogga Johansson.

Here's the link.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:31 pm 

Your English accent is quite nice :)

Cool interview btw, Paul was pretty cool and happy, his beard is awesome \m/ I feel like listening to some Master now!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:45 pm 

Great interview man. He seemed very open to talking about literally anything. I can somewhat call myself a fan of 'Master'. I enjoyed their 2012 release and spun it quite a few times as well as their older stuff many years ago. With regards to Rogga Johannson, I was pretty much ignorant about him till I found out that he was also part of quite a few bands that I heard of like Ribspreader, Demiurg, Fondlecorpse. Will definitely keep my ears tuned to what becomes of this project.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:33 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Your English accent is quite nice :)

Ha, I've been told otherwise. This time however I didn't stutter much so it went better than usual.

Yeah, Paul was quite an easy character to interview because I barely had to ask anything and he would just go on about this and that. We met a few hours earlier and took some photos with another friend who's a big fan. Paul even had a special pen to sign the merch. Funny thing (among many) is that we just went outside to make the interview and he suddenly told me that he had left no one on the merch booth, just like that. :D Of course I asked for one of the security guards to keep and eye on it and everything went well.

I have to stress out that I nearly wet my pants of laughing so hard when talking to him, he's such a funny guy!

rabidmadman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:44 pm 

Cool interview. I just looked into that march tour and master are playing in New York a week after Helstar/Viking/Attacker.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:28 pm 

androdion wrote:
Hi all. So I had the pleasure of interviewing Paul Speckman a couple of weeks ago during a metal fest here in my country. He "left the cat out of the bag" on some things which I think will be interesting to hear about, namely an upcoming collaboration with Rogga Johansson.

Here's the link.

hey it's SLK! ha ha joking cool interview, he still sounds american after being "in europe" for over 10 years.
thanks for sharing androdion :metal: :thumbsup:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:59 pm 

dreadmeat wrote:
androdion wrote:

Here's the link.

hey it's SLK!

:lol:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:07 am 

Well, Paul certainly knows his worth. Seems like he has a healthy amount of self-irony aswell. Seems like a great guy.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:30 am 

Indeed he does. Stuff like being on stage and announcing that they're going to play a song from x album "which I'm sure none of you ever heard, but we're going to play it anyway", stuff like that. He's a very easy going person.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:53 pm 

Excellent interview. Just as genuine a person as he is a musician, and it's great to hear he finally gets to live off of his music. All that hard work paid off! One of the top dogs in death metal for sure.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:35 pm 

Such solid carrer from such nice guy

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:36 pm 

looks like the wikipedia page can possibly be updated too?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Speckmann
[citation needed] paul said it himself

i really liked how he was headbanging with his beard ha ha :lol:
this guy has a huge discography

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:50 pm 

I especially liked the part where he said Doomentia was continuously reissuing his stuff and how they're cool guys for keep sending him free shit. :D

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:55 pm 

i just saw on his website [which he seems to update himself] that he sends the merch from his house, awesome!
so they probably send him 500 for the fans + 1 for paul :grin:

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:06 pm 

Seems a really great guy - extremely mellow and good humoured. It's good to put a face to the guy behind the music; I've really been getting into Master over the last month or so.

I reckon if you locked him and Fenriz in a studio and only let them out when they recorded something, you'd probably get the best old-school metal record physically possible.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:16 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
I reckon if you locked him and Fenriz in a studio and only let them out when they recorded something, you'd probably get the best old-school metal record physically possible.

"The duel of the beards!" :D

I'm actually hopeful about this collaboration with Rogga, who all things considered is clearly an old school musician. Even more when taking into account the conviction with which Paul spoke about the project being good. I'm keen on hearing that one.

Reply to topic