Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:50 pm 

Sounds fucking awesome, love those keyboards they throw in in the middle

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:56 pm 

I think it's safe to say that they're straight death metal now.

Also, love the drum sound.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:10 pm 

Subrick wrote:

If this is supposed to imply that they've finally shed their -core influence, I'll have no choice but to clobber you with a giant frozen tuna and point you to ten years ago. If you mean to imply that they're not even melodic death metal anymore, then I'll have to just hold a tentative disagreeance until I hear the full album.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:11 pm 

Boring as shit to be honest. The main riff was a plodding mid-tempo shit riff on top of the horrendous overproduction, we get the point Metal blade throws tens of thousands for your recording budget and you guys want to sound as clean and harmless as possible. Add that with the fact that Eschbach took way too long to make the song interesting, the song would've been better had actual intensity behind it.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:22 pm 

To be honest the song sounded like a big rehash of "What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse" from Nocturnal, but that was a great song in the first place so it still sounds good now. But yeah, definitely still deathcore. Dug the solo a whole lot, but I hope the rest of the album has a bit more variety.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Oblivion_Gene
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:25 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
But yeah, definitely still deathcore.

Debatable.

The song was decent. Hopefully this will be their 'single', kinda like Moonlight Equilibrium off the last album. I found that track to be one of the weakest off Ritual and am hoping the same applies for the new one.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:26 pm 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
To be honest the song sounded like a big rehash of "What a Horrible Night to Have a Curse" from Nocturnal, but that was a great song in the first place so it still sounds good now. But yeah, definitely still deathcore. Dug the solo a whole lot, but I hope the rest of the album has a bit more variety.

Why does everybody through in that goddamn -core suffix all the time when talking about this band?!

the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:27 pm 

Deathcore? You're a moron.

Also yeeeeeeeesssss. Fucking kick ass cover art and song. I love Trevor's vocals, and it's cool that he seems to finally be trying more variety (ALL of which sounds fucking awesome) but he's too loud in the mix. Maybe this will be less noticeable with headphones. The first riff was eh, but the song gets better and better as it goes along, really epic, a bigger black metal influence than they've ever had. The solo is absolutely ridiculous, as expect. My biggest gripe is the drums. They're quite good, but that Shannon Lucas feel is largely absent. This feels like more of a grower than anything they've done before. Into the Everblack, you fuckers. It's a much bigger departure than I expected. Their drummer was in shit bands so it has me slightly worried, but his playing still works. Most anticipated album.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:36 pm 

Goddamnit, I can't access the link! :crash:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:37 pm 

Also GOD DAMN IT, Trevor just keeps getting better and better lyrically. Nothing can stop these guys.
Xlxlx: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSoPRG3_ ... r_embedded

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:46 pm 

Thanks Necro!

The song is cool, and the artwork is great. Consider me stoked :thumbsup:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:53 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Subrick wrote:

If this is supposed to imply that they've finally shed their -core influence, I'll have no choice but to clobber you with a giant frozen tuna and point you to ten years ago. If you mean to imply that they're not even melodic death metal anymore, then I'll have to just hold a tentative disagreeance until I hear the full album.

Good to have you back, indeed. :P

As for what I'm implying, the song is much more in the realm of traditional death metal than any kind of melodeath, right down to the production being more in line with an older death metal style. As for the core influences, I hear none here and haven't heard any in the vast majority of their work since Nocturnal.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:34 pm 

Not bad, but a little underwhelming. Perhaps it'll do more for me within the context of the album as a whole, but nine other songs in this mold isn't going to make this a must-buy much less be on par with Ritual.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:59 pm 

These guys can't go wrong with me, love the new song, stoked to hear the album *W*!

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:46 pm 

I didn't really like the song to be honest. Not enough melodic elements (the catchy riffs), something which has been one of TBDM's strengths. I loved the artwork though. Apart from that, what really turned me off was the start-stop guitar chugs with the drums blasting in the beginning. I'm not sure how else to describe that but I thought that was terrible. Not palatable to my ears :) Luckily, the solo and the rest of the song was bearable. They surely can do better than this.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:09 am 

The song wasn't as impressive as I would have hoped, but I'm still going to buy this album because I fucking love this band. I'm sure there will be quite a few great tracks on Everblack, these guys write some great songs.

Whoever refers to this band as deathcore needs to pull their head out of their ass, TBDM haven't been anything remotely close to deathcore since their early albums and even that is debatable.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:19 am 

ghost223 wrote:
The song wasn't as impressive as I would have hoped, but I'm still going to buy this album because I fucking love this band. I'm sure there will be quite a few great tracks on Everblack, these guys write some great songs.

Whoever refers to this band as deathcore needs to pull their head out of their ass, TBDM haven't been anything remotely close to deathcore since their early albums and even that is debatable.

There was no core whatsoever to be found on Unhallowed. Miasma had a bit of -core influence, and Nocturnal had a tad as well, but hardly any at all. If anything Miasma would be the most -core they've ever had in their music.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:19 am 

ghost223 wrote:

There was no core whatsoever to be found on Unhallowed. Miasma had a bit of -core influence, and Nocturnal had a tad as well, but hardly any at all. If anything Miasma would be the most -core they've ever had in their music.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

enigmatech
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:30 pm 

What I never understood, is why it matters so much to fans of this band that they be categorized as "melodic death metal" and not "metalcore", as if being associated with the "-core" term somehow determines whether or not this is a good band. I see the same thing for lots of new bands, like The Faceless. It seems like the people who like the band say it's "technical death metal" or "melodic death metal", as if to say that this makes the band legitimate, whereas the people who hate the band say that it's "deathcore", as if that is some kind of insult. As a non-fan who really does not care one way or the other what genre it is, it's incredibly annoying and seems somewhat pointless to me. I guess if I payed attention to the metalcore scene, or if it mattered at all to me, I would think differently.

Anyway, I won't comment on the song because this is not a band that really appeals to me. The artwork looks cool as far as I can see, though.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:38 pm 

It matters because it's flat out willful wrongness.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 pm 

I can hear a difference in the sound without Bart and Shannon but it still sounds pretty solid. Much darker than their usual stuff; there's more dissonant, unorthodox and obscure guitar work being thrown in there which is adding a new element (am I the only one who noticed the odd low chords in the first half of the song? And no I'm not talking about the chugging. Also after the solo there's some pretty cool black metal styled riffing, odd harmonies of notes that are really refreshing for them if you ask me). Plus that symphonic/ambient section really unexpected but it worked very well I think. They're really starting to emphasize on the "Black" in their name, which is totally fine by me considering I love black metal, but they aren't necessarily switching genres altogether.

One thing that annoyed me though was that they still ended with a chorus again. Maybe I'm just really fucking tired of verse-chorus structure, but I think that this song should have been longer and the ending could have been much different and would've made the song better. They do verse-chorus way too much to the point where no matter how good the songs are they end up being way too predictable. Now, granted, this song wasn't nearly as bad because of the whole middle section, but I just hope that the rest of the album is a turn for the better.

I'm not saying verse-chorus is ALWAYS bad though, in fact many bands can work with that structure and create songs that end up being still so complex that they shield the fact that it's a simple structure (Enslaved is really good at doing this actually). Other bands though, The Black Dahlia Murder especially, fall under a spell where they write good songs that are catchy but still end up being way too goddamn predictable.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:26 pm 

enigmatech wrote:
What I never understood, is why it matters so much to fans of this band that they be categorized as "melodic death metal" and not "metalcore", as if being associated with the "-core" term somehow determines whether or not this is a good band. I see the same thing for lots of new bands, like The Faceless. It seems like the people who like the band say it's "technical death metal" or "melodic death metal", as if to say that this makes the band legitimate, whereas the people who hate the band say that it's "deathcore", as if that is some kind of insult. As a non-fan who really does not care one way or the other what genre it is, it's incredibly annoying and seems somewhat pointless to me. I guess if I payed attention to the metalcore scene, or if it mattered at all to me, I would think differently.

Anyway, I won't comment on the song because this is not a band that really appeals to me. The artwork looks cool as far as I can see, though.

I actually just sent a report in about that lol. I didn't do it because I found it demeaning to be called -core though, I did it because I personally feel that with Deflorate they shed that title and released a solid tech death album, and then when you hear the experimentation they had with Ritual and now this new song I just find it pretty hard to give them that title. If it stays with the -core suffix that's cool, there are core bands I like too.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:26 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

It's basically this. I'm not a metalcore detractor, I listen to plenty of outright whiny metalcore, so the term doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, but the fact is that it was never a part of TBDM's sound. They had that image, but their music has always been straight up melodic death metal. If you'd never saw what the band or their merch looked like, you'd never use that tag to describe them.

We have a band that has never used clean vocals or lyrical themes about anything other than horror and gore being labeled as metalcore, a band that has never used pig squeals or inhales as deathcore, and a band that has never even used breakdowns being labeled as both. Seriously, I just want one good explanation as to how in the unholy fuck they can and should be considered -core.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:11 pm 

Damn that artwork is boss!

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:14 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
It's basically this. I'm not a metalcore detractor, I listen to plenty of outright whiny metalcore, so the term doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, but the fact is that it was never a part of TBDM's sound. They had that image, but their music has always been straight up melodic death metal. If you'd never saw what the band or their merch looked like, you'd never use that tag to describe them.

We have a band that has never used clean vocals or lyrical themes about anything other than horror and gore being labeled as metalcore, a band that has never used pig squeals or inhales as deathcore, and a band that has never even used breakdowns being labeled as both. Seriously, I just want one good explanation as to how in the unholy fuck they can and should be considered -core.

They're popular. Therefore, they must be -core. Also, because they are -core, we are not allowed to like their music.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:22 pm 

I live on an icy peak and only listen to raw black metal. Core? Please.

Stabwound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:51 pm 

I've always liked this band, and I've never lumped them in with the rest of the deathcore shit. I can't even stand to listen to any deathcore I've heard, and I've always labelled them melodic DM.

Fuck you if you disagree.

DarkWolfXV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:17 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

I have a question, why the fuck do people label deathcore with pig squeals and inhales? I know no popular (relatively, except Waking the Cadaver, and they are kinda slam/deathcore hybrid, not pure deathcore) deathcore band which uses pig squeals and inhales constantly. Maybe im looking in wrong places, but i have heard more slam bands using pig squeals than deathcore bands. Point me out some bands like this please, i'd really like to hear it.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:21 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

I have a question, why the fuck do people label deathcore with pig squeals and inhales? I know no popular (relatively, except Waking the Cadaver) deathcore band which uses pig squeals and inhales constantly. Maybe im looking in wrong places, but i have heard more slam bands using pig squeals than deathcore bands. Point me out some bands like this please, i'd really like to hear it.

I Declare War
Despised Icon
Nochaa (not that often, though)
Annotations of an Autopsy
Impending Doom
Begging for Incest

they exist, trust me lol

EDIT: Oops, I messed up the quotes, sorry guys :(

BastardHead wrote:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:05 pm 

New song streaming here: http://www.revolvermag.com/news/exclusi ... thorn.html
It's pretty god damn awesome. Super intense lyrics, a chorus that will worm it's way into your head, lots of epicness and subtle bm influence, a crazy solo.
I knew the new album was going to be good because of the first song they released, but now I'm certain of it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:53 pm 

Song's awesome. I've still got the chorus in my head half an hour after first hearing it. This record is going to be great.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:55 pm 

Pretty goddamn good

RAPED...IN HATRED...BY VINES....OF THORN!!!
catchy chorus

BastardHead wrote:

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:58 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
New song streaming here: http://www.revolvermag.com/news/exclusi ... thorn.html
It's pretty god damn awesome. Super intense lyrics, a chorus that will worm it's way into your head, lots of epicness and subtle bm influence, a crazy solo.
I knew the new album was going to be good because of the first song they released, but now I'm certain of it.

These are my thoughts exactly *w*

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:38 pm 

To be totally honest? It's good, but that's about it.

It's catchy, intense, melodic and can draw you in. But it's only good because it literally sounds like everything else they've been writing since Nocturnal. Same verse-chorus structure, alternate-picking riffs, same grooves, same vocal hooks, wicked solo but even then it still sounds like everything else they've put out. In fact I think this has the exact same structuring as Moonlight Equilibrium; it almost sounds like they just re-wrote that song. Of course when it comes to writing, yes, if it ain't broke don't fix it, but that doesn't mean re-write the same song 10 times just to fill out an album to the point where everything you do becomes stale. This sounds like something that wows you immediately, but when you realize all of their songs sound the same you're immediately underwhelmed. Bands still have to grow, change and develop into something more so that they can stay interesting. I liked "Into The Everblack" WAY more because it was actually different. It sounded new, fresh, exciting and it showed them expanding their horizons. This just sounds like them trying to get a radio-friendly song just so that they can please their fan base and get them listening to the album so they don't get scared away by synthesizers. Also the title... "Raped in Hatred by Vines of Thorn"... really? Wow, that's so original(!) It makes me feel like I'm watching a bad version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Ryan Knight IMO was probably the best thing to happen to the band because of what he brings to the table from a writing standpoint (even though John was still a great guitarist), but I think he needs to take the wheel more often and help them expand more (and I only mention him because his former band Arsis is releasing an album this year which I can already tell is going to be way better than this. IMO while I personally think The Black Dahlia Murder are more consistently good, Arsis at their best blows them out of the fucking water).

I sure hope the rest of the album is more like "Into The Everblack", or at least just different from this new song. I love The Black Dahlia Murder and I think they've become a great band especially within the past few years, but I'm sick and fucking tired of hearing them re-write the same fucking song over and over again.

Oh and look at that, I was listening to it as I typed all of this and the song just ended and I already forget what it sounded like. Surprise, surprise.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:49 pm 

I think The Black Dahlia Murder, as a band, need to really take their time with writing these songs. They're writing, recording, mixing, mastering and releasing these albums within a two year span. Always. That's really rushing the writing time! They should take more time, let different ideas come to them and come out with something way stronger.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:10 pm 

Yeah I can't agree with you at all. They've been steadily evolving from album to album.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 7:37 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Yeah I can't agree with you at all. They've been steadily evolving from album to album.

They are evolving, don't get me wrong. You hear the difference between Nocturnal and Deflorate, they grew and matured with their songwriting more. Between Deflorate and Ritual there was an expansion of different elements being added, new ideas being thrown to the table. This album it seems no different with the song Into The Everblack, but this new song it literally sounds like Moonlight Equilibrium, and sounds like the radio-friendly BDM song. I don't hear any new ideas in this new song, and I'm hoping that the rest is more like Into The Everblack. I still would rather have them wait longer though and hear a major growth in sound between albums than just steady climbs every two years. I think if they waited more they would release something that would blow everyone else out of the water. They just aren't doing that.

Octodecillion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:38 pm 

I said the exact same thing to my friend about the song sounding almost the same as moonlight equilibrium before even reading this. This song is almost complete self plagiarism.

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:41 pm 

Octodecillion wrote:
I said the exact same thing to my friend about the song sounding almost the same as moonlight equilibrium before even reading this. This song is almost complete self plagiarism.

I think there's a bit of willful blindness to some of the hardcore BDM fans out there. I don't blame them, they're a great band, but they need to take more time to release an album. If the label pressures them to put it out, maybe put less songs on the album that are either longer or simply given more time.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:37 pm 

New song "Goat of Departure". Sweet breakdown + solo combo in the middle.

http://loudwire.com/the-black-dahlia-mu ... -premiere/
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next