Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:31 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=184420
Rob Caggiano just left Anthrax. For those not in the know, he's Anthrax's lead guitarist. Or, was Anthrax's lead guitarist.
Quite a bummer really.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:35 pm 

Dammit. It's gonna be really weird to think of Anthrax without Rob, as that's the lineup that I grew up with.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:52 pm 

Honestly, he's the least essential member of this line up. Ian and Benante aren't going anywhere and I don't believe they can survive another vocalist change. Frankie is a fan favorite. Rob...fine guitar player, but this causes minimal damage to Anthrax.

Will this pave the way for Dan Spitz to return....probably not. But they'll find someone and everyone will forget about Rob.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:19 pm 

Would like to see Spitz return, this is the version of Anthrax I grew up with, around the time they were one of my favourite bands until Joey left. Among the Living to this day is still one of my favourite thrash records. Is Dan still a watch maker??

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:19 pm 

Yeah, he was one of the faces that everyone grew familiar with...but I doubt it's going to cause that big a dent for Anthrax or their fans.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:29 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Would like to see Spitz return, this is the version of Anthrax I grew up with, around the time they were one of my favourite bands until Joey left. Among the Living to this day is still one of my favourite thrash records. Is Dan still a watch maker??

Dan is still a watchmaker. I believe that it's his primary occupation. He has another band who's name escapes me...Mustaine produced their album that was just recently released. I think music is just a hobby for him these days.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:31 pm 

Dan's band is called Red Lamb.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:48 pm 

Thanks guys, I did not realise he was still playing abit though something tells me Red Lamb are not something I wanna check out.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:51 pm 

Well they used to go by the incredibly stupid name of DeuxMonkey, and I remember MetalSucks writing an article on them that just completely ripped them to pieces.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:03 pm 

And no fucks were given. Anthrax is dead and has been dead for decades.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:06 pm 

Anthrax should hire John Bush on lead guitar, just to fuck with everyone's heads.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:43 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
And no fucks were given. Anthrax is dead and has been dead for decades.

I wouldn't go that far. Granted, they haven't put out an album I've cared for in going on 23 years now, but Sound of White Noise did well for what it set out to do and Worship Music has given a them bit of newfound relevance... or at least more than they had since.

Spitz didn't seem to be fully into the reunion a few years ago and aside from Red Lamb and his current occupation, I'm certain I read somewhere from that time that one of children was autistic. That has to take any kind of prolonged touring out of his plans, regardless of what band(s) he's involved in.

ANationalAcrobat wrote:
Anthrax should hire John Bush on lead guitar, just to fuck with everyone's heads.

Only after Dan Nelson quits first. :D

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:02 pm 

I'd obviously love to see Dan Spitz join the band again.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:13 pm 

He has twins actually. Both of them are autistic.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:22 pm 

^^Yeah, they're mirror image twins too.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:57 pm 

Unfortunate news. I'd love to see Spitz come back but the odds of that happening with his current schedule are very unlikely. Oddly enough, my first thought was wondering if Gary Holt or Rick Hunolt would jump on for a time...

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:34 pm 

Too band, but at least th big dogs are still in the band (Although, i wouldnt mind if Charlie Benante quits and Anthrax gets Gene Hoglan as his replalcement, he totally nailed the songs when i saw them last year)

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

blacknettle45
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:36 pm 

anthrax is not going to be the same without rob.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:54 pm 

NARAKU666 wrote:
Too band, but at least th big dogs are still in the band (Although, i wouldnt mind if Charlie Benante quits and Anthrax gets Gene Hoglan as his replalcement, he totally nailed the songs when i saw them last year)

Charlie writes almost all the music, so if he were to leave in full then they'd be out their main songwriter.

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:01 pm 

Subrick wrote:
NARAKU666 wrote:

Charlie writes almost all the music, so if he were to leave in full then they'd be out their main songwriter.

Check mate, sir

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:33 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
Honestly, he's the least essential member of this line up. Ian and Benante aren't going anywhere and I don't believe they can survive another vocalist change. Frankie is a fan favorite. Rob...fine guitar player, but this causes minimal damage to Anthrax.

Will this pave the way for Dan Spitz to return....probably not. But they'll find someone and everyone will forget about Rob.

Exactly what this guy said.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:19 am 

Really hope Dan doesnt come back. He probably thinks Anthrax is evil now and there sure as hell wouldnt be anymore Big Four shows, since Slayer is on it.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:26 am 

What, is Dan some crazy Christian a la Dave Mustaine nowadays?

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:31 am 

^Pretty much yeah.
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=184327
Well very religious anyways I don't know if he is to the degree to refuse to tour with "satanic" bands. Granted even Mustaine still toured with Slayer despite that.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:45 am 

His hand looks like it's turned all the way around in some grotesque manner.

Also, I think Dave might have let Slayer off the hook since Tom Araya's a Christian. Probably not, but it's better than anything else I can think of.

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:13 am 

He's only been in the band the recent years and 2 of 3 albums he has played on is generally hated. Are the complainers 17 years old or something, and doesn't know anyone else? I don't get it, why does it matter?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:16 am 

Well if you mean complaining in the sense of being sad he's going, as I mentioned earlier in the thread I grew up with Rob in Anthrax, so having him not there anymore will be kinda odd. I can only equate it to people who grew up with the classic lineup back in the 80s and felt odd when Joey was fired and John Bush came in.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:19 am 

I love Fistful of Metal and Spreading the Disease but there are so many other bands people should be talking about rather than wasting time on a washed up band like Anthrax.

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:23 am 

Subrick wrote:
I can only equate it to people who grew up with the classic lineup back in the 80s and felt odd when Joey was fired and John Bush came in.

But they had released 5 great albums before the replacement, 4 of which with Belladonna. Belladonna was essential to the band and the sound, being a frontman and a vocalist. With Bush their career only went downhill. Belladonna was incredibly important to how the band sounded, Caggiano is not; and Caggiano has only played on 3 albums, of which 2 has "sucked".

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:28 am 

I don't mean in terms of albums and their reception. I mean just in terms of being familiar with a specific lineup of a band, regardless of when you first got into them, and then the odd feeling that comes when you realize that one member of that lineup you are most familiar with will not be there anymore.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:58 am 

It's a total surprise. I think he grew tired of everything. I'm not sure if he will return to Anthrax. The band is old. Save for maybe the final shows, he will not return in a few years.
Dan Spits for the other way would be a fine replacement, if he is interested in the band. But let's see for the new replacement, i hope to see a familiar face.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:43 am 

Who do you think would be a good replacement for Rob?

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:08 am 

Well, for me Dan Spitz would be awesome. But if not, then Dan Lilker (i think is better with the bass than with the guitar) or John Connelky. Maybe Dan Lilker is not so busy with Nuclear Assault so i think it would be a fine replacemente. For John Connelly i don't know if he is in a band nowadays.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:34 am 

Megadeth wrote:
Subrick wrote:
I can only equate it to people who grew up with the classic lineup back in the 80s and felt odd when Joey was fired and John Bush came in.

But they had released 5 great albums before the replacement, 4 of which with Belladonna. Belladonna was essential to the band and the sound, being a frontman and a vocalist. With Bush their career only went downhill. Belladonna was incredibly important to how the band sounded, Caggiano is not; and Caggiano has only played on 3 albums, of which 2 has "sucked".

I'm pretty sure he only played on 2, and he came in after most of W.C.F.Y.A. was already written. He did a fine job on their most recent album and he's a hell of a lot better than anyone else they've had soloing for them over the years.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:05 am 

The 2nd of 3 albums he's talking about is the album where they took of bunch of their Belladonna-era songs and re-recorded them with John Bush.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:17 am 

In all honesty, I'd thought that they had split up already.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 am 

People still care about Anthrax? They haven't released anything good in decades, and even then they were only just a good band. Worship Music was terrible. Not as terrible as their 90's stuff, but still terrible when all said and done.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:31 am 

hey wrote:
In all honesty, I'd thought that they had split up already.

Nope. They put out a great album in 2011, called Worship Music, and they brought back Belladonna. The sound of Worship Music could be best described as a marriage between the Bush sound and the Belladonna sound from Persistence Of Time.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:27 pm 

But Joey is still in there, right?
Scott said some real nasty stuff about him prior to his returning.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:17 pm 

Ya, Joey is still in the band. He takes all the shit Ian and Benante have said about him through the years with class. He's clearly all about the fans.

Now tons of people are hitting up Dan Spitz and the Anthrax Twitter pages, asking for him to come back

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next