Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:53 pm 

I am a big fan of Hypocrisy and feel that Tägtgren is one of the better extreme vocalists in Metal. My favourite albums from Hypocrisy are the mid-90s albums (Fourth Dimension, Abducted) but sometimes I just really want the heaviness of the first two albums. Although they are enjoyable i often wonder if they would be better if Tägtgren did the vocals rather than Masse Broberg. When i see live clips of Hypocrisy doing the songs from Penetralia or Osculum Obscenum i feel i enjoy them more than studio. Anyone else feel this way? Do you think you would prefer them with Tägtgren or they are just fine they way they are?

Studio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqsvVJBYIcU

Live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAoWdbo1Ynk

my last.fm

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:34 pm 

I like early Hypocrisy best, and personally think Masse Broberg was better on vocals than Tagtgren. He was just way more bestial and roaring, he fit the rawer and more aggressive style of Swedeath they played in the early days. I kind of lost interest after Osculum Obscenum, though.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:40 pm 

Caligula has always had a great voice, whether it be with Dark Funeral or Hypocrisy. I think they're both great, just different sounding. Both eras of Hypocrisy I like, so I can't really choose one over the other.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:46 pm 

Pete is a fucking beast. He can deliver the same low growls from Caligula, highest highs and everything in between if he wants it. Although he prefers to growl in a mid frequency most of time, his performance is one of the best. I like almost all the Hypocrisy catalogue; from Virus the band has been performing a way more brutal sound than the 00's period.

In terms of growling, I think Pete did his best on Bloodbath's Nightmares Made Flesh tho. Those vocals are inhuman and completely intimidating.

LifeDemise
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:47 pm 

Broberg is ok but prefer Tagtgren on vocals.... You can hear what he was like at the time on the song Penetralia from the first album and the EP Inferior Devoties.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:18 pm 

Peter's a fucking excellent vocalist. He's a big part of why Nightmares Made Flesh is such a good album.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:33 pm 

Tägtgren's vocals are pretty generic on the later Hypocrisy albums though so is the music. Definitely prefer Masse's deeper vocals on the first two over his. Though the music is a whole lot better too so I suppose I'm biased.

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:57 pm 

Both Pete and Masse are gods of extreme metal vocals, but Masse has this certain grinding deepness and power to his growls... It's like he was deep-throated by Satan, or something.

Evil_Obsidian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:09 pm 

Not much of a Tägtgren fan, but I especially dislike his cleans. Much prefer Broberg's vocals, especially on "Osculum Obscenum", which is the band's finest work in my opinion.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:31 pm 

OP, you don't need to compare studio versions with Masse against live version with Peter since the "10 Years..." compilation has tracks from the first couple of albums re-recorded with Peter singing.

With that being said I was never a fan of Masse anyway and I've always been a fanboy of Peter's work ever since I discovered Hypocrisy, mainly due to that compilation. It was pretty shocking to me when I first listened to the original versions over the re-recorded ones, but I must say that Masse do seems to fit the ideal of those two albums better. The re-recorded versions have not only different vocals but also arrangements and differences in the guitar tone (tune?). Even so I think that Hypocrisy is Peter and I can't imagine the band having another singer. His work with Bloodbath was pretty amazing and that performance alone is probably his best ever.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:02 pm 

I like both eras of the band, but tend to lean towards earlier material. But Tagtgren is a beast and i've enjoyed his work all over vocally that he has done. But I don't necessarily prefer him than Broberg. I'm just used to hearing every as it was recorded so changes in that don't sit the best with me.

halfformedfetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:20 pm 

Peter all the way! may more range!

somberlain93
I'm not sexist, I have binders full of women friends!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:21 pm 

I like his vocals up through "The Final Chapter". After that, his vocals and the band's music is shit to me. For the old style, I still prefer Masse's vocals, but Peter sounds fine on the more melodic albums.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:34 pm 

somberlain93 wrote:
I like his vocals up through "The Final Chapter". After that, his vocals and the band's music is shit to me. For the old style, I still prefer Masse's vocals, but Peter sounds fine on the more melodic albums.

Dude, I get not liking Hypocrisy's melodeath, but saying that Pete's vocals are shit? That's just flat out wrong, man.

somberlain93

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:58 pm 

Not at all. He changed to that modern and fake sounding style similar to what Masse was doing in Dark Funeral, both influenced by Ihsahn I think. I hated it. Both of them were much better vocalists when they had the more old school and raw voices. Even compare "The Final Chapter" vocals to the self-titled. He sounds too smooth and fake now.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 pm 

Totally disagree. If anything, his work with Bloodbath is undeniable proof against such a claim. Plus, he sounds perfectly fine live, being able to reproduce what he does inside the studio with little to no effort at all.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:25 am 

@somberlain93 - I think what you're talking about is the studio magic on some of the vocal lines, like the voice processing that happens on some songs/albums. Even then his voice remains the same, it's just that it gets digitally treated on the studio to sound for instance "warped" on The Arrival. It's just studio trickery. ;)

somberlain93

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:56 am 

Yes, the ultra-modern sound to it all is one big part of the problem. But his actual vocals are a turn off for over a decade now. And just now hearing the re-recorded versions of some of the old songs.......... what an atrocity. His new high-pitched, whiny sound on the old tracks is a horrible thing. He sounded fine on "Abducted" and "The Final Chapter" for the most part though they were the beginning of the super slick era of Hypocrisy, but now it's just too much for me to take. Anyone else is fine to like it of course, I don't tell you not to, but for me I hate it and wish he could do something more raw and genuine like long ago. His vocals, and the modern sound, totally killed the second Bloodbath album for me. The first one was so in touch with the old Swedish sound and then along comes Peter and everything about that album just smelled like shit to me.

Tron_79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm 

somberlain93 wrote:
Yes, the ultra-modern sound to it all is one big part of the problem. But his actual vocals are a turn off for over a decade now. And just now hearing the re-recorded versions of some of the old songs.......... what an atrocity. His new high-pitched, whiny sound on the old tracks is a horrible thing. He sounded fine on "Abducted" and "The Final Chapter" for the most part though they were the beginning of the super slick era of Hypocrisy, but now it's just too much for me to take. Anyone else is fine to like it of course, I don't tell you not to, but for me I hate it and wish he could do something more raw and genuine like long ago. His vocals, and the modern sound, totally killed the second Bloodbath album for me. The first one was so in touch with the old Swedish sound and then along comes Peter and everything about that album just smelled like shit to me.

I guess to each their own, but I just don't agree with this. Regarding Bloodbath, I thought he was superior to Akerfeldt in almost everyway...still had the deep guteral vocals (eaten) but also added some diversity and range to it as well

my last.fm

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:57 pm 

Peter Tägtgren absolutely crushed on Nightmares Made Flesh. I think Bloodbath was much better with Pete than they are with Mikael Åkerfeldt.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:57 pm 

Also forgot to say that I love both the Masse Broberg and Peter Tägtgren fronted eras of Hypocrisy.

Chainsaw Omega
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:27 pm 

I actually greatly prefer Peter's vocals in recent years, and I think anyone who has seen them live in the past 8 years or so will back me up in saying that he has only gotten better with age. The Sofia show they made a DVD out of is a good example. I can see what Somberlain93 is saying though, but I do have to disagree with the overall sentiment. Despite what you may think of the songs, Peter has remained a force to be reckoned on the mic. As for Bloodbath, I like the Nightmares songs with Peter, and also I think Mikael does a great job with them on the Wacken DVD. They are two very different vocalists, and two great ones.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:06 pm 

That scream at the end of Soul Evisceration alone is enough to respect him.

Reply to topic