Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:45 pm 

On occasion bands will go long creative dry spells that are taxing on the band in terms of their ability to work with each other, and sometimes it lends to them breaking up, loss of key members, or an even more prolonged extension of mediocre albums. What are some albums that revitalized a long period of drought for a band, and how long did the period of dry albums/mediocre output continue before it ended. Did key changes in the band contribute to the better outcome? Was the band able to keep up the creative momentum long enough to keep producing solid material, or did the spark fizzle out as soon as it began?

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:54 pm 

Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder for Cradle of Filth. Their post-Midian albums had been getting less and less good with each release, with Thornography being the pinnacle of "We have no clue what we're doing anymore" in the band's career. Dani's voice was also slowly deteriorating throughout this period from 2002 to about 2007. Then they got Marthus as a drummer and Dani's voice dramatically improved. Godspeed then came out in 08 and it incorporated much of the symphonic black metal that made the band's 90s material so good, while still keeping its own identity as an album. Now Cradle are much improved when it comes to both the live act and the albums compared to the Bitter Suites-through-Thornography period.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:16 pm 

Deicide - Stench of Redemption

Not only a career saving album, but also their best all around.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:18 pm 

Riots Immortal Soul? And then Mark died... :(

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:29 pm 

Dystopia by Iced Earth

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:35 pm 

^ Dystopia was good and if it was any body other than Iced Earth I would probably agree with you. But since it is Iced Earth do you really think that this will revitalize their career?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:38 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
^ Dystopia was good and if it was any body other than Iced Earth I would probably agree with you. But since it is Iced Earth do you really think that this will revitalize their career?

Well, no, not really, but it's better than the last three albums were, especially considering that they were blah-to-meh.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:45 pm 

Yeah I'll give you that for sure. In fact I'd put it up as one of the better Iced Earth releases, but as they tend to do their next CD will more than likely be a bunch of poo with one or two good songs thrown in for good measure. I hope they prove me wrong though.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

absurder21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:55 pm 

Ironbound by Overkill gave them all a kick in the ass for all the miediocre- to terrible stuff before it, which has at least continued on to one more record (electric Age). Same can be said for Accept on Blood of the Nations on to Stalingrad. I guess you could say Human Remains(Hell) and Mythical and Magic (Pagan Altar) brought back those two long dead NWOBHM legends.

hagagaga
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:12 pm 

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

Those later Ozzy albums were alright, but Ronnie James Dio brought the band almost back to Master of Reality's quality (nothing can touch the first album, however).

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:20 pm 

This.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:32 pm 

Oddeye wrote:

This.

And then CF died... again... so, no.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:44 pm 

The ultimate...

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:56 pm 

I'm tempted to say "Death Magnetic" because for me anyway, this album was easily the best thing they had done since Cliff was alive. However, even this album seems to have generated a lot of controversy here, so I'm not sure if it's a good example. Really, "Painkiller" and "Heaven and Hell" are the best examples I can think of, and of course pretty much everyone would agree. I might even add "Tempo of the Damned" (Exodus) since the band had been dead for years before then, but that album was a bit uneven in quality. The late 90's Testament did a good album ("Demonic") that was heavier, rawer, and more extreme than anything they had done since the debut, but the band never really reclaimed their place at the forefront of the scene, and a lot of fans werent real happy with that album. So maybe not the best example either.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:05 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
The late 90's Testament did a good album ("The Gathering") that was heavier, rawer, and more extreme than anything they had done since the debut...

Fixed.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:04 pm 

Iron Maiden's Brave New World. Having Bruce and Adrian back in the band revitalized them.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:11 pm 

I'm definitely going to go with Darkthron's The Cult Is Alive or F.O.A.D. Stepping away from traditional black metal and doing what ever the hell the duo wants really gave the project new life in my opinion. In fact the newest era of the band has been my favorite from them. They're just funner, straight forward heavy metal for the love of heavy metal. Perfect.

I'd also say Mayhem's Ordo ad Chao and Zao's The Fear is What Keeps Us Here to a lesser extent.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:22 pm 

Blood Magick Necromance was like that somewhat. I thought Bondage Goat Zombie was an excellent album, but far below the previously set standards. Walpurgis Rites was pure shit, though. Belphegor had a noticeable decline in songwriting after Barth and Sigurd left. Blood Magick Necromance was sort of their way of showing that those two members being missing wasn't going to stop them.

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:41 pm 

Peroy wrote:
Oddeye wrote:
Picture of Monotheist

This.

And then CF died... again... so, no.

Toms writing still kicks ass though. The band died because they split due to personal issues, the music is still very relevant.

Also, not metal, But I'm thinking about how Neil Young sort of "revitalized" himself with his grunge trend in the late 80's-90's. Listening to Mirror Ball right now, and I'm just mindblown at how effectively Young continues to write great music in every era of his lifetime, even if a lot of it wasn't popular.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:45 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Toms writing still kicks ass though. The band died because they split due to personal issues, the music is still very relevant.

Meh...

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:16 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I'm tempted to say "Death Magnetic" because for me anyway, this album was easily the best thing they had done since Cliff was alive.

Over Justice ? No Freaking Way.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:11 am 

Death Magnetic was a great album and I do very much enjoy it, but it doesn't beat Justice.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:07 am 

Cryptopsy - Cryptopsy

I haven't heard ...And Then You'll Beg, but I have heard it's a big step down from Whisper Supremacy. Their following album, Once Was Not, sounded really annoying and didn't work for me. The Unspoken King was a complete disaster. I considered the band dead by then. This self-titled they released recently is a big step forward for the band, and shows McGachy sounding far better than he ever has. I hope they continue in this vein.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:23 am 

amorphis seemed to be losing it, or at least going in a complete prog rock direction (and risking hitting katatonia/anathema levels of boring), just before joutsen joined and eclipse was the freshest thing since their second album. even if they've started to bore me with the formula since...

PazuzuZlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:32 am 

Ajattara springs to mind. After "Kalmanto", according to my thinking the worst album they could ever put out, came "Noitumaa", which was a senseless shitty pansy-ass gay-fest of an album. I guess that was a wake up call even for the band since they managed to write something decent ("Murhat") and put it out before their demise. The fact that they disbanded after that album doesn't even matter. They saved their face completely with that album.

https://katastropha.bandcamp.com
https://ragbroder.bandcamp.com

Megadeth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:48 am 

Anthrax was pretty much dead and gone when they released Worship Music in 2011. Not only is it their best in almost 20 years, but it is their only good material in that period.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:50 am 

I got to say Death Magnetic too. I really enjoyed that album. Okay, the sounds mostly sucked ass, but it was a great improvement from St. Anger anyway. Maybe I'm looking the thing through Metallica fanboy's sunglasses, and others don't see it that way. DM certainly has some songs, that are not as good as others. But mostly it just works. Must say even their worse albums had some great songs. Except St. Anger, obviously.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:09 pm 

ScandalfTheShite wrote:
I got to say Death Magnetic too. I really enjoyed that album. Okay, the sounds mostly sucked ass, but it was a great improvement from St. Anger anyway. Maybe I'm looking the thing through Metallica fanboy's sunglasses, and others don't see it that way. DM certainly has some songs, that are not as good as others. But mostly it just works. Must say even their worse albums had some great songs. Except St. Anger, obviously.

But then came Lulu.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:26 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
ScandalfTheShite wrote:

But then came Lulu.

It's a rollercoaster ride ! XD

~Guest 41299
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:36 pm 

Megadeth's Endgame. I love them, but from Cryptic Writings through United Abominations there was a lot of valleys and lower valleys, and I think that Endgame was just a breath of fresh air and probably the adition of Chris Broderick had something to do with it. Now, I really didn't listen to Th1irt3en that much to have an opinion if tha band was really revitalized or if it was just a one time thing.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:31 pm 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
ScandalfTheShite wrote:

But then came Lulu.

Well yeah, but I don't really consider "LuLu" to be a true Metallica album. I dont think even the band themselves intended it to be. That is just a one-off, collaboration with Lou Reed and is really a Lou Reed album as much as a Metallica album. And yes, it wasnt very good either way. Kind of wondering though what the next one will sound like, as they're about due to release another one...

Would one-man "bands" count? Because I could think of albums that revived individual artist's careers but technically it's not the same as a band thing...

HydroDrone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:12 am 

I couldn't enjoy death magnetic. it sounds shitty but more than anything it just seems so forced and fake for them to be thrashing around again. Bullshit aggression is just the worst.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:33 am 

HydroDrone wrote:
I couldn't enjoy death magnetic. it sounds shitty but more than anything it just seems so forced and fake for them to be thrashing around again. Bullshit aggression is just the worst.

Well, yeah. I understand what you're saying, but really -- it's all bullshit aggression, from everyone.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:22 am 

Ancelot wrote:
Now, I really didn't listen to Th1irt3en that much to have an opinion if tha band was really revitalized or if it was just a one time thing.

I know Th1rt3en has divided some people but I really like it personally. It's sort of a more rock-oriented continuation of Endgame but manages to work pretty well.

Dark_Insanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:03 am 

Would Blood of the Nations by Accept come under this concept? Killer album that one and their new album "Stalingrad" is just as good.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:46 am 

Rocka_Rollas wrote:
But then came Lulu.

Oh, I totally forgot that. Haven't even heard that one. But things I heard about it really put me away. It's shit without hearing.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:28 am 

...and now we need new albums to revitalize Savatage, Queensryche, Gamma Ray, Running Wild, Paradise Lost and Judas Priest (again!)

An obvious one for me would be Candlemass' self titled although it depends on whether you liked them when they were wandering through obscurity from about '93 to '03.

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:32 am 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
...and now we need new albums to revitalize Savatage, Queensryche, Gamma Ray, Running Wild, Paradise Lost and Judas Priest (again!)

WTF ?!?

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:00 am 

Nothing since "In Requiem" has been good, I despair!

Peroy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:01 am 

iAmDisturbed wrote:
Nothing since "In Requiem" has been good, I despair!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next