Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:12 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
I'm very percussive based I guess you can say. I really don't like anything that lacks drums where I think it would sound far better with them. And I really don't like ambient anything, I don't even care for it as background music to doing something cause it doesn't even register to me.

This is also one of the reasons I don't care for Sunn0))), but that's another time/band.

Not even live? What about headphones?

Thashierthanthou
Not Semi-Witty Enough for his Own Title

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:03 pm 

sup bros there's a new Portal song.
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/14675-curtain/
Sounds more like "normal" death metal than their other stuff, but its still really strange and Portalish. Highly anticipating the album.

They should have talked about why failsafeman sucks!

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:30 pm 

I already posted my thoughts on Facebook, but I'll copy-paste them here since I don't feel like rewording myself.
Quote:
Huh, right off the bat I see they've gotten rid of the gritty production job from Swarth and closer to the big chunky mess that they used on Outre'. Good, good.
_____
Oh, cool. The vocals sound deeper and more vicious. The riffs are Portally so far and, of course, brilliant. Sounds like they're playing with a bit more of a black metal sound here, sustained waves of dissonant tremolos instead of jerky chugging like the last album was filled with.

I'm kind of sad that the production job isn't as retardedly bloated as Outre''s (man, that looks stupid), but it's a step in the right direction (though I doubt they're going to be going back to what they did on Outre'), and this is pretty good overall. It's like the intensity of Outre' mixed with the increased structure of Swarth. Honestly, I can't see this topping their last two, but I'm expecting it to nevertheless be great.

Last edited by MalignantThrone on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:49 pm 

Interesting. It's in some sort of middle ground between the usual Portal and Impetuous Ritual.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:25 pm 

That went by pretty fast for a six minute song.

It's certainly a lot more straightforward than what they usually do -- but still Portal, through and through. You'd never mistaken this for another band.
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:26 pm 

New track released through Pitchfork.

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:35 pm 

This art is pretty cool but quite different from the others. The name also sounds pretty cool. I noticed Portal's music tends to match their albums' art pretty decently, so I'm guessing this one will sound a little more trippy and/or atmospheric.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:36 pm 

Dooders wrote:
New track released through Pitchfork.

Someone already linked it, silly.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:14 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:
katatonia47 wrote:
The artwork is fucking killer.
I loved Swarth, I can't wait to hear this one. Hopefully they'll tour in Melbourne soon after I can actually get into their damn shows.

11th Jan supporting Marduk with Order of Orias and Ignivomous.

i hope Marduk bring those cunts [plural!] over here too :headbang:

edit: nope, no portal fun times in nz, for now...
http://www.chaosnz.com/viewEvent.php?id=18

i forgot i took this photo yesterday

Last edited by dreadmeat on Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:01 pm 

I found the song pretty damned tedious. Kinda like the first couple of songs on Outre which just kinda churn without being interesting. And as other's have said it's pretty normal dark and cavernous DM except for a couple of little parts. So far I'm feeling a resounding eh towards this.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:09 pm 

Oh...that was good. :metal:

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:49 pm 

Digging the hell out of the new song. Liking the clarity of the guttural guitars and the overall bass is the heaviest it's ever been. As I had hoped they are continuing in the direction of the more experimental songs on Swarth, such as Larvae. I'm finding the overall sound less messy and more decipherable than ever before.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:16 pm 

this is pretty wicked, it's unmistakably portal [someone up there said that]

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:26 pm 

Just got done listening to the new track for the fourth time today and its so goddamn good. I wouldn't expect anything less, but damn, now I'm practically savoring to hear the album in its entirety. I agree with some of the comments so far...it definitely sounds more blackened during the middle section and the style seems reminiscent of Larvae from the previous effort. Oh, and the Curator does, indeed, sound fucking vicious. All of these things are awesome. Larvae, along with Writhin, is my favorite track from Swarth and I really embrace these sort of "spurts" - when the riffing really just takes you for a crazy, mind boggling ride. I find the structure of the song to be really interesting too...its as if the opening drum hits break the seal and something fucked up oozes out, before finally gushing forth in a spurt (the middle section), before finally slowing and running out of steam, leaving us with an echo of whats just happened that fades to black rather ominously.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:49 pm 

This track is sounding great. It certainly sounds a lot like Outre', which is a little disappointing after the more experimental approach of Swarth but what makes up for it are the vocals and the bass. Oh my god, the bass is more audible and gives it a whole other menacing feeling. Like subterranean Lovecraftian creature lurking the ground beneath.

Let's hope the rest of the album makes up for the very un-Portal album art.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:11 am 

holy fuck new song sounds amazing, weird name for a song though

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:58 am 

I'm not a big Portal fan, but that song really did it for me. Looking forward to more.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:26 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
I'm not a big Portal fan, but that song really did it for me. Looking forward to more.

just out of curiosity what did you like about that song compared about other portal songs?

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:43 am 

Listening AGAIN before bed and the vocals actually seem to have a whispering, scathing like quality about them at times if you listen closely. Wow. Fucking eerie. As is usually the case with this band, I'm getting more and more out of every listen. Gonna be so burned out on this track by the time the full length is out. :lol:

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:20 pm 

as usual with portal the more i listen to it the better it gets really looking forward to this album i didnt have a clue where they could go from Swarth since that is pretty much the pinnacle of music to me

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:05 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:
Misfit74 wrote:

just out of curiosity what did you like about that song compared about other portal songs?

I'd have to go back and re-visit the other Portal stuff. I can't really answer that definitively right now. It's kind of I tested them out awhile back (months or a couple years), and simply found it wasn't my thing. I'm glad to re-visit bands and see if a) their music has changed or b) my tastes have changed.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:03 pm 

The music HAS changed. It's still Portal but this song was much slower, more menacing, the vocals were better, and it was more intelligible.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:19 pm 

It's just one song, guyth.

This just sounds merely okay to me, though as a user above has stated, Portal takes a little while to digest. Still looking forward to this.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:34 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Musically they are excellent, but every time I watch a live shot of them I can't over the fact that the vocalist wears a giant birdhouse on his head.

+1.

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Another Portal thread. Another bunch of people talking about costumes.
It's the music that matters, and the music is the farken real deal.

Dragunov wrote:
It's just one song, guyth.
This just sounds merely okay to me, though as a user above has stated, Portal takes a little while to digest. Still looking forward to this.

But... I'm starting to listen to this band.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:51 pm 

Oh no, the song is good enough, but I can't help but think I've heard a similar sounding song elsewhere. Though for me, it's Portal's backwards, sideways, inverted Immolation riffs that keep me thirsty for more, which this song has. Also, taken from the NWN board:

Australian surrealist death metal terror unit PORTAL have completed work on their anticipated fourth full-length album entitled “Vexovoid”, the four year follow-up to their “Swarth” predecessor.

Taking their sound of singular death metal psychosis by creating their darkest and most-dense sounding album to date, “Vexovoid” carries the tradition PORTAL have laid upon since their inception 18 years ago. Through the band’s strange, unsettling, avant-garde, and polarizing take on death metal (on a musical, lyrical, visual, and aesthetical level), throughout the years PORTAL have shape-shifted and inverted the genre into multiple realms of dementia. “Vexovoid”, as expected, is another dreadful and frightening observation of unorthodox death metal terror unparalleled.

To be officially released on Feb 19th (LP version to be released not too long after the CD version) and featuring artwork by Reverend Kriss Hades, tracklisting for “Vexovoid” goes as follows:

1. Kilter
2. The Back Wards
3. Curtain
4. Plasm
5. Awryeon
6. Orbmorphia
7. Oblotten

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:52 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The music HAS changed. It's still Portal but this song was much slower, more menacing, the vocals were better, and it was more intelligible.

i.e. more like this.

I must say, I'm very pleased with how the song sounds. This may be very well be their best release yet.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:08 pm 

The more and more I listen to "Curtains", the more I fall in love with that riff that is repeated until the song fades out.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:12 pm 

I like it.. at first I thought it sounded just like some long intro but it evolved to my favor.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:44 pm 

all good you dont have to do that i was just curious

the vocals have received a change since Swarth i think i like it better but they sound more fierce

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:03 pm 

The production is great and the vocals are simply killer, but it sounds a bit too clean for Portal, maybe more streamlined than what I'm used for them.

I'll get it, hopefully the vinyl version will come out in the same month or the next one.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:22 am 

Liking the drum sound on Curtain!

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:42 pm 

SatanicPotato wrote:

:lol: You know something is awry when a band can have an every day word as a song title and it can be considered weird. Anyways, this is killer. Always been a big Portal fan. Can't wait until February.
Death metal is eternal.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:29 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

:lol: You know something is awry when a band can have an every day word as a song title and it can be considered weird. Anyways, this is killer. Always been a big Portal fan. Can't wait until February.

lol so true its funny that all the other song titles did not stand out for me because they are usual weird portal but curtain was really weird because its a normal word :p cant wait to hear the entire album portal albums tend to be the best when you listen to the entire thing instead of just a song or two

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:13 pm 

Behold "The Back Wards".

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2013/ ... back-wards

Ambrosia.
Death metal is eternal.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:19 pm 

what is the new song like? i cant listen to it appears on youtube

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:34 pm 

A bag full of hammers in a washing machine - lol. It's pretty good. Has that sort of churning feeling that Swarth had.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:57 pm 

Dude, that was pretty rad. Again, this song points to more focused songwriting from the band, making it more memorable. Also, that part at about 1:54 where the instruments drop out and The Curator growls is just crushing. Looking forward to this album more and more as the days roll by.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:27 pm 

This is shaping up to be the best Portal album yet. I really like how they made the guitars actually decipherable. MalignantThrone will disagree more than any human has disagreed before.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:47 pm 

I've stayed clear of Portal for no apparent reason but I just heard something very evil in that track. Great stuff (so far). I'm not the biggest Portal fan but I'll attempt to give this a listen when it's out.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:22 pm 

That song was even more accessible than the first one, it was also way better. Definitely lacking in the ritualistic evil department but makes up for it just being a good song. Its also really cool to see the curator pushing himself at the end there, great song.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next