Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:12 pm 

Fucking excellent. I love the chords and riffing style in this latest track. 7 H. Target-ish. Those sickly chords drive me mad with pleasure, lol.

luxul
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:35 am 

The new song CRUSHES. Very much like Quasineutrality. Which is awesome. Looking forward to hear the rest!

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:29 am 

this has now leaked, and from first listen, sounds fucking amazing!

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:48 pm 

I'm not sure how to feel about this. I love some of the songs while some songs didn't do it for me. If you liked 'Nucleon', the rest of the album is pretty much along the lines of that - some good whirring guitar work coupled with tremendous blast beats. There are a bunch of breakdowns too, fortunately the non-shitty kinds so that's bearable. The vocals are also more accessible. It's decent stuff all around but I'll let the album grow on me with a couple more listens.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:05 pm 

The last song is really an interesting track. It clearly takes the more identifiably melodic moments from the other songs and brings them all into one. And it's a beautiful song.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:38 pm 

After some disappointing albums from Guttural Secrete and Devourment (and the usual relentless mediocrity of Defeated Sanity that cannot be avoides), I'm glad to see that this album manages to impress me. I like the catchiness and melody throughout the brutality, and those looser, honestly kinda djenty chords work for me too and add some uniqueness. The slams are pretty dull though, they should scrap those.

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:02 am 

After a few listens, I'm not completely impressed with this one. I don't hate it, but there's something missing here and I can't quite put my finger on it.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:29 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
After some disappointing albums from Guttural Secrete and Devourment (and the usual relentless mediocrity of Defeated Sanity that cannot be avoides), I'm glad to see that this album manages to impress me. I like the catchiness and melody throughout the brutality, and those looser, honestly kinda djenty chords work for me too and add some uniqueness. The slams are pretty dull though, they should scrap those.

I was searching for a word to describe the way the combination of the tone and the riffs sounded...and I guess 'djenty chords' describes it well enough without succumbing to sounding anything like djent (clarification for those who haven't heard the album yet). The album is kinda growing on me as I had hoped. What did you think of the vocals?

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:41 pm 

I found the vocals pretty standard for the style, just regular old gurgling, not much to praise or hate.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:07 pm 

Yeah, a notch below their slightly more deeper bass-y gurgles but fitting since the music has also stepped down similarly as well.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:07 pm 

I think the actual music is still rock solid, and I don't really find the old vocals particularly impressive either.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:06 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Yeah, a notch below their slightly more deeper bass-y gurgles but fitting since the music has also stepped down similarly as well.

Maybe you were fooled by the uber-bassy (+ uber-scooped mids) mastering of Planisphaerium - the vocals are just as deep as ever, if not ever lower on the new album. And for the curious, Wormed's vocals are praised because they are much deeper, forceful, and varied than any "regular old gurgling". Phlegethon uses a combination of exhaled and inhaled pig squeels, croaks, grunts, shouts, spoken passages, etc. Is it really all that common? If so, please link me 3 vocalists that so identically match Wormed's, I'm interested in hearing them.

I also happen to think musically Exodromos is just as good as Planisphaerium, if not a step up. After repeated listening, it's revealing itself to be more technical, heavier, and musically more cohesive than I first thought. Unlike Planisphaerium, I'm only finding myself listening to the album as whole, for it flows perfectly from start to finish. I'm going to guess that it's likely due to the fact that it's not a collection of ideas from their demo integrated with new material.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:54 pm 

This is really well written, and one of the better death metal albums from a songwriting standpoint there will likely be this year...heavy, technical and yet totally 100% focused, and also brutal as fuck without falling into whatever 'try hard' stereotype you want to put forth. But I dunno, as much as I appreciate it on an intellectual level it's just not really getting me too excited on an emotional one. Definitely a really fucking well done album though. They really upped the ante compared to the previous one.

MazeofTorment
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:31 pm 

Been blasting this nonstop lately when driving around. Such a tightly played, well executed album. While "The Nonlocality Trilemma" and "Stellar Depopulation" are probably my favorite tracks by far, the whole thing is great. I keep finding myself liking all the tracks more and more both individually and how they bounce off one another in such cohesion. It might actually be my favorite album of the year thus far.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 pm 

Even better than the debut. Still, I'm not digging the vocals (yet,hopefully). Sounds like Phelgton(sp?) is trying too hard to sound alien, but instead sounds like your typical bree-bree vox.

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:17 am 

Cloud0129 wrote:
Even better than the debut. Still, I'm not digging the vocals (yet,hopefully). Sounds like Phelgton(sp?) is trying too hard to sound alien, but instead sounds like your typical bree-bree vox.

I think the vocals are well done. Typical bree-bree vocals? C'mon man! :boo: That's a terribly lazy and incorrect judgement. It's one thing to not enjoy the style of vocals in this or similar genres of music and I can understand that if it's the case, but condemning good ones within the genre like this is just way off base. In other words: I disagree.

Cloud0129
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:30 am 

Misfit74 wrote:
Cloud0129 wrote:

I think the vocals are well done. Typical bree-bree vocals? C'mon man! :boo: That's a terribly lazy and incorrect judgement. It's one thing to not enjoy the style of vocals in this or similar genres of music and I can understand that if it's the case, but condemning good ones within the genre like this is just way off base. In other words: I disagree.

I'm not condemning him, I just don't like that style of vocal in my bdm. And I do see why so many find him great. He just isn't my cup of tea. =/

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:01 pm 

I'm not gonna lie, I thought this might flop due to over-production. And while it's not as raw sounding as their debut, they still managed to add a lot of the important atmospheric elements and loads of distortion, blast beats, and chaos that made their last LP and EP so great. The riffs are still mind-bending, technical, and they still have fresh blasts of slam that keep the songs groovy without being really dumb sounding or cheesy. Nothing like it out there man. Clearly going to be a solid contender for AOTY.

Bicro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:09 pm 

I really couldn't get behind the debut purely due to the vocals. I mean, there's a good way to do super-low vox, and then there's frog belching.
This release, however, they fixed it! Not my favorite BDM release, but it's more than passable.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:58 pm 

I find it strange people don't like the vocals on this album. I mean yeah, it's a staple of cheesy slam death, but it feels so alien in the kind of context that wormed sets up. Everything is supposed to be technical and anti-physics and over your head, undecipherable lyrics are fitting.

EDIT:, I just read that the post above was referring to the debut. Ehh...

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:10 pm 

I've listened to this album twice now, and it's certainly a grower. Really enjoying it.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:45 pm 

^ Oh yeah, definitely a grower. I can say that I love this more right now than when I heard it the first couple of times.

t1337Dude wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Maybe you were fooled by the uber-bassy (+ uber-scooped mids) mastering of Planisphaerium - the vocals are just as deep as ever, if not ever lower on the new album. And for the curious, Wormed's vocals are praised because they are much deeper, forceful, and varied than any "regular old gurgling". Phlegethon uses a combination of exhaled and inhaled pig squeels, croaks, grunts, shouts, spoken passages, etc. Is it really all that common? If so, please link me 3 vocalists that so identically match Wormed's, I'm interested in hearing them.

Not sure what it was, maybe the production values but I felt that way. With repeated listens, I think I'll take back my statement. This really is as enjoyable as Planisphaerium if not more at this time. Regarding the vocals, guess you're a Phlegethon fan. Same here and I never discounted his vocal prowess though, just thought it was more discernible this time around.

The video for Tautochrone is out for those who haven't seen it yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6WSIu7cSYQ

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2