Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PrinceRhaegar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:51 pm 

Well, no one else has done it yet, so I guess I will. Personally I agree with the people in the other thread that this is a much more interesting subject anyway.

Personally I've never been a fan of Arsis. Even A Celebration of Guilt, which as far as I know is given lots of love around here, never really did anything for me. It definitely has more to it than most tech death bands, but after listening to it none of the songs stuck with me, and I found myself struggling to remember which song was which. But then I listened to A Diamond For Disease, and HOLY SHIT. The melodies in that song are incredible; some parts sound absolutely beautiful, and other parts sound like the music to end dynasties to, but it still has this great flow to it and never feels disjointed or anything. Kinda sad that they didn't write any more songs like this.
Does anyone know if PetWussy sports a mullet? I just saw a Pakistanni-looking guy with a ... Heavy Metal Parking Lot mullet. I was tempted to kick him to the ground whilst shouting: "THE YEARS OF DECAY RULES, DICKHEAD!"

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:56 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR_oGP4az3k

Remarkable song besides the whiny vocals, I mean.

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:33 pm 

Opeth for me it's kinda there, most of their songs are very disjointed and have some good parts and bad ones, but When it's ace; everything flows extremely well, the acoustics are very well inserted into the whole song, the vocal delivery it's great and for once, feels like a song instead a recollection of riffs and paste them carelessly. The lyrics are also great

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:48 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Opeth for me it's kinda there, most of their songs are very disjointed and have some good parts and bad ones, but When it's ace; everything flows extremely well, the acoustics are very well inserted into the whole song, the vocal delivery it's great and for once, feels like a song instead a recollection of riffs and paste them carelessly. The lyrics are also great

I also dislike Opeth, and I always thought To Bid You Farewell sounds kinda nice

And I never cared a great deal about Khanate, but the song Wings From Spine from their last just blows me away. Maybe it's the bits of disjointed melody added to the usual Khanate formula that makes it so haunting. An atmosphere like no other.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:06 pm 

I don't like Europe much at all, but this fuckin' song is superb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha1BzWXaTM4

MetalMetalsMan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:15 pm 

Im not a fan of Elvenking, but "Jigsaw Puzzle" is very enjoyable.

GravityLapse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:18 pm 

I can't really stand Despised Icon at all, but they have one song I listen to one occasion, Silver Plated Advocate. Even this song is mostly kind of boring for the first half, but the last two minutes build to one the best breakdowns Suffocation never wrote. I guess they had to get at least one breakdown right. (Also Alex Pelletier is a fucking sick drummer. No idea why he wasted his talents in that band. I guess that's two things they got right.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq7YV9JxTbE Starting about 2:25.

On a similar note, Oceano (give me a break), the last minute or so of Samael the Destroyer is this weird, uncharacteristically somber, doomy part. I guess most scene kids would want to spin kick to it, but it doesn't really sound like a "breakdown" to me. Really wouldn't sound out of a place on a death/doom album, in fact sounds like a Catacombs song sped up a bit. Maybe I'm looking (hearing) a bit too much into it. Anyway, here it is, starting at around 2:35. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xghgo-gn5Vc

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:53 am 

PrinceRhaegar wrote:
Well, no one else has done it yet, so I guess I will. Personally I agree with the people in the other thread that this is a much more interesting subject anyway.

Personally I've never been a fan of Arsis. Even A Celebration of Guilt, which as far as I know is given lots of love around here, never really did anything for me. It definitely has more to it than most tech death bands, but after listening to it none of the songs stuck with me, and I found myself struggling to remember which song was which. But then I listened to A Diamond For Disease, and HOLY SHIT. The melodies in that song are incredible; some parts sound absolutely beautiful, and other parts sound like the music to end dynasties to, but it still has this great flow to it and never feels disjointed or anything. Kinda sad that they didn't write any more songs like this.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but that's actually a cover. A Diamond For Disease, I mean. And honestly, you should try out their newest album, Starve For The Devil, it's very awesome. You might like it. As for this thread, unfortunately I've got nothin', though, if I had to choose SOMETHING, it would be either The Hunger by The Distillers (I don't really like any of their other stuff, but MAN, that song is awesome), or That Song, Blown Wide Open, and The Oaf by Big Wreck. There's nothing truly amazing about the instrumental composition of any of those Big Wreck songs, but his voice, HIS VOICE! Jesus, it's just got such a fantastic timbre to it. Actually, the guitar effect in The Oaf is used very well. It's just got such a cool bluesy feel to it. The rest of that album (and their other stuff) really doesn't match up, but I could listen to those three songs all fuckin' day. Of course, neither of those bands are metal, so...

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

ShadowAurion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:56 am 

Burnyoursins wrote:
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but that's actually a cover. A Diamond For Disease, I mean. And honestly, you should try out their newest album, Starve For The Devil, it's very awesome. You might like it. As for this thread, unfortunately I've got nothin', though, if I had to choose SOMETHING, it would be either The Hunger by The Distillers (I don't really like any of their other stuff, but MAN, that song is awesome), or That Song, Blown Wide Open, and The Oaf by Big Wreck. There's nothing truly amazing about the instrumental composition of any of those Big Wreck songs, but his voice, HIS VOICE! Jesus, it's just got such a fantastic timbre to it. Actually, the guitar effect in The Oaf is used very well. It's just got such a cool bluesy feel to it. The rest of that album (and their other stuff) really doesn't match up, but I could listen to those three songs all fuckin' day. Of course, neither of those bands are metal, so...

A Diamond For Disease isn't the cover song on that EP. Roses on White Lace is an Alice Cooper cover, though. A Diamond for Disease was written by Arsis for a ballet. Looking up the EP page here on MA would tell you this.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:46 am 

A lot of Prong's Cleansing is quite a bit boring, but I just absolutely love the song "Whose Fist is this Anyway"! Probably the best uh..90s "danceable metal" song" that's been written. "Snap your fingers" is pretty good, too! I guess that's more of an album answer than a band answer, since I do like some of Prong's older stuff, especially the fast punky shit, but still...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:25 am 

Everyone has the odd song they like from a band they don't really care about. No rhyme or reason. How about songs that are remarkable for reasons other than you kinda liking them? A death metal band with a song that has the the batman theme for a riff? An unknown band with a really famous guy appearing on a single for no known reason?

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:33 am 

i can't stand any rap/hiphop, but i do kinda like the instrumental version of cypress hill's lightning strikes (intro on the old pc game kingpin

Last edited by joppek on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:40 pm 

YAWN!
I preferred the other thread!

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:44 pm 

FateMetal wrote:
YAWN!

it's weird
at first i thought "well, this is an interesting topic", but after a while i realized i can hardly think of any examples - there just aren't individual songs i really like by bands i really don't... which i suppose makes a fair bit of sense

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:49 pm 

FateMetal wrote:
YAWN!

Comments like this might make me prefer a suspended account to your active one. Try to contribute something if you really must post something.

WingedOctopus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:23 pm 

Oracle Of The Dead by As They Sleep gave me the impression that they were a good Black Dahlia Murder clone. Not exactly remarkable, but certainly better than the christian metalcore it turned out to be.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:53 pm 

Along with Opeth, Pink Floyd comes to mind. Both have several good songs in generally boring discography.

Sokaris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:04 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Everyone has the odd song they like from a band they don't really care about. No rhyme or reason. How about songs that are remarkable for reasons other than you kinda liking them? A death metal band with a song that has the the batman theme for a riff? An unknown band with a really famous guy appearing on a single for no known reason?

Here's an example of a not exactly famous band with Tomas Lindberg on a song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWoLi4PwZI

It's strange that they give him the whole song since their normal vocal style is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFIIdkTUcic

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:45 pm 

Maybe a bit outta the way as far as rock and metal goes, but The Osmonds had sort of an awakening around '72 when they started writing their own songs and released their Crazy Horses lp. Goes quite against the wholesome bubblegum and "Sweet and Innocent" grain of their previous stuff that you usually can't pay people to listen to for extended periods, but this is a surprise. Spoiler: if you don't like this era of music, you probably won't care.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiNnDpIW918 : a) you have the almost overboard keyboard antics. B) the heavier guitar tone rubbed off on 'em, probably after getting an earful of shit like Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith, and a bunch of other stuff. Okay, maybe the chicken dance during the chorus is typical, but hey, you can't expect miracles.

Then from the same album you have "Hold Her Tight" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiNnDpIW918 - with its obvious, tight-riffed Zeppelin/"Immigrant Song" influence. Once again, they goof it up with those whining keyboards (or whatever that is), but once again beggars can't be choosers. At least they woke up a little during their career. It'll also stump most people who aren't familiar with these chowderheads.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:09 pm 

If I had to pick a remarkable song by an unremarkable band, I'd have to say "Higher" by Creed. While Creed weren't a particularly good band, "Higher" was easily their best song and something that I probably wouldn't have expected from them given their tendency towards oddly bland post-grunge rock with a weird 'Christian' slant. Dunno, really, it's more difficult to pick a good song by a band I dislike than a bad song by a band I like.

Not strictly speaking metal, but "Yellow" by Coldplay definitely qualifies seeing as it was done reasonably early in their career and (in marked contrast to their later work) sounded sort of positive/uplifting, and seeing as the first time I heard this song was when I was about 8 or 9 years old, I didn't question how it sounded or was supposed to sound.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:07 pm 

Sokaris wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

Here's an example of a not exactly famous band with Tomas Lindberg on a song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWoLi4PwZI

It's strange that they give him the whole song since their normal vocal style is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFIIdkTUcic

I'd put this song by Raised Fist in that same category.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o0wAasck6M

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:25 pm 

Well, Trivium is quite unremarkable aside from being popular... and they got a lot of heat for starting out as a metalcore band, then trying to be a Metallica clone.
But they not only have some remarkable songs, their latest album is the best they've done. Or at least, to my ears. It's a return of sorts to their metalcore days, but done much better than anything on Ascendancy or Ember to Inferno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swp5t9U0e0U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0sC6m_izIE

I've noticed the two recent albums by Cradle of Filth are getting relatively high reviews, especially compared to Thornography and preceding albums (excluding the earliest ones, of course). I recently heard the newest song by them off of The Manticore And Other Horrors and it's so good this is the first time I am honestly looking forward to a Cradle of Filth album. I wasn't even aware that they released a new album after Godspeed on the Devil's Thunder until a little over a year after the fact, which shows how little I paid any attention to them (even the news of this album is new to me as of today).

It could be argued that once a band releases a whole album of 'remarkable' material to ones ears, that they are no longer considered an unremarkable band. I mean, I'm curious to see where Trivium will go after In Waves... however I still wouldn't go out of my way to see them live. Maybe if they played at Reverb though, since that's only 20 minutes away.

I know the thread is about remarkable songs by unremarkable bands, but my personal listening habits don't typically allow this - I listen to albums at a time, not just particular songs, since if I find a song I like I'll track down the album it is on.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:30 pm 

Kigo7 wrote:
If I had to pick a remarkable song by an unremarkable band, I'd have to say "Higher" by Creed. While Creed weren't a particularly good band, "Higher" was easily their best song and something that I probably wouldn't have expected from them given their tendency towards oddly bland post-grunge rock with a weird 'Christian' slant. Dunno, really, it's more difficult to pick a good song by a band I dislike than a bad song by a band I like.

Not strictly speaking metal, but "Yellow" by Coldplay definitely qualifies seeing as it was done reasonably early in their career and (in marked contrast to their later work) sounded sort of positive/uplifting, and seeing as the first time I heard this song was when I was about 8 or 9 years old, I didn't question how it sounded or was supposed to sound.

Creed is a good example, but for them, I would nominate Bullets. I absolutely hate "Higher" and don't see how it's any different from the rest of their discography.

I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but a lot of Cathedral bores me. That being said, "Melancholy Emperor" is a killer song.

Crowbar bores me a lot too for the most part, but "Planets Collide" has this killer atmosphere and is one of the few cases where the lyrics actually fit the music (as opposed to emo lyrics sung by a guy who sounds like he's taking a shit over stoner/doom riffs)

necropsyalpha
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:11 pm 

Avoid the Light - by pantera

allways seemed miles above all their other songs

Big_Grand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:46 pm 

In my opinion, the songs a fine day to die and blood fire death were the only great song's on that album, The way that a fine day to die builds up with those almost galloping tremolo notes just falling into place, and the feeling of battle in blood fire death. Nothing else on that album compared to those two song's, atleast in my opinion

not metal related, but Something good by yearbook committee was pretty good I thought, but the rest of that album was pretty boring I thought.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:45 am 

Not Metal related, but ''Clocks'' by Coldplay. It's the only song i like of them, the rest are very meh to me.

Hmm, all the Christmas songs of Moderatto, a Glam Rock band of Mexico.
''Whiskey In The Jar'' - Metallica. Their best cover since the Black Album.. well some songs of Load and Reload are good too, but these are very Grunge to me.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:05 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
I recently heard the newest song by them off of The Manticore And Other Horrors and it's so good this is the first time I am honestly looking forward to a Cradle of Filth album.

i never understood the hate for dani's vocals... until now (that's the first song i've heard from them since thornography)

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:21 pm 

ShadowAurion wrote:
Burnyoursins wrote:

A Diamond For Disease isn't the cover song on that EP. Roses on White Lace is an Alice Cooper cover, though. A Diamond for Disease was written by Arsis for a ballet. Looking up the EP page here on MA would tell you this.

Right you are, my bad. That's the one I was thinking of. I am actually very well versed with Arsis' career, as I personally know the guys, I didn't think it was necessary. *laughs* Anyway, my mistake.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

HorrorMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:52 pm 

"Saddam a Go-Go" by Gwar. Not sure why I even like the song but I find myself listening to it quite alot and even bought the album just for that one track. I mean Gwar is okay but I'm really not a fan of their music. I just love that one song, however.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:14 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:
Along with Opeth, Pink Floyd comes to mind. Both have several good songs in generally boring discography.

Im not the kind of guy that goes like "hey why the fuck you dont like the same bands i like? are you stupid? my music is awesome and you should feel bad!!"
but seriously you think pink floyd is boring? well, thats kinda shocking to me, anyway its your opinion and im fine with it.

Back to the tread, people are going to kill me but i love this song "Do Nothing/Bitchslap" by Slipknot, i really dislike the band but
this song is fucking weird in a cool way, the jazzy/funky parts (very Faith No More-ish) are awesome and show some real talent. Anyway is the best example i could find.

I also think their first album MFKR is somewhat original and "cool".

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

deathmetalfreak169
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:18 pm 

Everything Went Black by The Black Dahlia Murder. I am not a fan of them but that song is killer.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:25 pm 

Not metal at all, but I've always liked Weezer's Hash Pipe, while I don't care for any of their other stuff at all.

Liquid_Braino
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:52 pm 

Not a fan of Krokus, but the title track to the Headhunter album is friggin' speed metal heaven. That singer had one hell of a range.

I remember when Skid Row's debut was popular. I didn't care for it, but I always got a kick out of "Sweet Little Sister". It rocked and the concept was pretty hilarious.

SladeCraven
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:26 pm 

Queens of the Stone Age-No One Knows

I actually some what like some of their other work but I've always thought this song is killer for whatever reason.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:16 am 

Hard Rock Hallelujah by Lordi. I hate GWAR and I hate Lordi, but dear lord that is some catchy metal.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:39 am 

I'll probably be flamed for listing this band as unremarkable, but Balls to the Wall by Accept. That song rocks HARD, but I don't really like anything else from them.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:55 am 

Erisgaroth wrote:
Not Metal related, but ''Clocks'' by Coldplay. It's the only song i like of them, the rest are very meh to me.

"Speed of Sound" is it for me, though "Yellow" was my intro to the band. Strange how after all these years a song like this still clicks with me. Very unremarkable band overall, though.

Edit: I actually don't remember what the song was now that I think about it. Holy hell that was forgettable on my part.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Boozie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:39 am 

I never knew why but the only reason why I bought Ten Thousand Fits by Disturbed is "I'm Alive". The chorus gives me goosebumps every time.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:18 am 

I liked Lamb of God as a lad just getting into Metal, yet as many people did, I grew out of them as I expanded deeper into Extreme Metal.

That said, I still like "11th Hour" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTmAmCEIIo4

I still have As the Palaces Burn, and when I listened to it recently this is the only song I still enjoyed... a lot actually.

Kigo7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:52 pm 

Alien Ant Farm's version of "Smooth Criminal" would probably qualify seeing as AAF didn't exactly have much of a career after "Smooth Criminal" because people (me included) realised that they weren't very good.

Can you list remarkable songs in unremarkable eras of good bands as well?

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next