Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:49 pm 

Is US power/prog the most place specific genre? There was this quite specific sound, especially in the late 80's/early 90's from bands such as Queensrÿche, Heir Apparent, Crimson Glory, Fates Warning, Lethal, Lord Bane, Hittman, Apollo-Ra, Bastille... but have any bands outside the US mastered this style? I can't really think of any. The first Veni Domine perhaps, though that's way too doom to fit here.

This might be a rec thread in disguise, so to further the discussion:
Any other genres that are absolutely place specific? And not genres like Florida DM or Gothenburg metal, since bands playing that can be found all around the world.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:16 pm 

Not a very obscure example, but Cloven Hoof's A Sultan's Ransom sounds very much like a USPM album, yet the band comes from the UK. It's also a pretty damn good album, to boot.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:28 pm 

Some Canadian bands such as Zions Abyss and Thunder Rider quality as USPM.

Doujin Touhou is pretty location-specific, but I'm not sure I consider that a musical genre (since its many different musical styles under the same banner).

iriki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:44 pm 

Tarantula, from Portugal, have a good shit with Fates Warning worship.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ta ... ania/18938

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:55 pm 

Yeah, ASR is a pretty good album, although not terribly "progressive" really, just melodic USPM/NWOBHM. There are a few good bands of the style from outside the U.S., however. You probably already know this, but there was a pretty sizable USPM power/prog scene in Canada - Solar Eagle, False Witness, Dead Calm, Zions Abyss, Antiquus, and Ice Vinland being the heavier hitters among them. Also Sacred Blade I'd say are progressive heavy/power, though not in the slick Queensryche-y way that most of the aforementioned are. (Okay, False Witness and Ice Vinland have more of a Arch-FW vibe.) Spacey, cosmic stuff - excellent too. Read my review of it if you like, their Othyrworld project is great as well, failsafeman has an excellent review of it. Hanker from Canada are also sort of proggy, again not in the tradtional sense. It seems like simple heavy/power like a more melodic Jag Panzer at parts, but it has a lot of acoustic breaks and very linear song structures. Even if this doesn't sound like your cup of tea, I highly recommend hearing their album 'The Bell Ringer', a USPM masterpiece if ever there was one.

Martyr from the Netherlands are fairly progressive heavy/power/speed, especially on their second album. Not exactly USPM, but definitely nowhere near europower either - their albums were released in '94 and '95. EXCELLENT stuff, read my reviews if you like, but not Queensryche-y or FW-y really at all. Adramelch's 'Irae Melanox' from Italy is also pretty fucking excellent. failsafe has an accurate review of that as well. Glory Hunter's 'Psychotime' demo also has a strong USPM/prog vibe. Some of Blind Guardian's stuff isn't too far from USPM/prog (SFB, IFTOS to a lesser extent), but I'm sure you know them.

That's all the good bands I can think of off hand, if you're looking for shitty stuff as well just do the advanced search with power prog releases from countries other than the U.S. Might want to cut it off at '91 or '92 as well as most of the releases after those years will be modern power/prog.

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:56 pm 

Sacral Rage from Greece are a new band doing some very very convincing USPM styled material. It's fucking excellent, really.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:20 am 

I'll second that Othyrworld album, really fantastic stuff. One of the best albums I've ever heard at capturing a truly futuristic, inter-galactic kind of atmosphere.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:36 am 

Jophelerx wrote:
Hanker from Canada are also sort of proggy, again not in the tradtional sense. It seems like simple heavy/power like a more melodic Jag Panzer at parts, but it has a lot of acoustic breaks and very linear song structures. Even if this doesn't sound like your cup of tea, I highly recommend hearing their album 'The Bell Ringer', a USPM masterpiece if ever there was one.

The Dead Ringer, actually, but yeah, amazing album and band. All their albums are good, but the first two and Conspiracy of Mass Extinction are stellar in particular. Really great, heavy as hell and quirky old US metal style.

Reply to topic