Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
InvalidPacket
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:50 am 

Quote:
Seminal heavy metal/doom band Pentagram will soon be losing the services of guitarist Victor Griffin once again. Griffin issued the following statement over the weekend:

Tonight at The Fillmore in Silver Spring, MD will be my last live appearance with Pentagram in the US, and my last UK/European live appearances with Pentagram on our 'Relentless' tour this Oct/Nov. Of course the future is always uncertain...but for now, it's time to move on with my new band's album and tour plans for 2013. Thanks to Bobby, Greg, Sean Saley, Pellet, Klaus Koschel, Metal Blade Records, Svarte Records, Albert Born, Gary Isom, & most importantly...YOU FANS!...for keeping the wheels turning faster and louder than any other time in the band's history! I wish the very best to the band and a prosperous future. Thanks again to all you fans for your amazing support...hope to see you soon! Godspeed!"

Well that sucks.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:01 am 

He's gonna praise Jesus with Place of Skulls, fine with me, it's a good band.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

uzilover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:40 am 

Argh, bad news. I hope he does some more Death Row stuff instead of just focusing on PoS. I'm hopefully still going to see him with Pentagram in November.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:19 am 

Metantoine wrote:

I believe he has a new band. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be good. Victor is a talented guy.

I believe with Victor's departure that leaves Bobby as only player to appear on the last LP. Even (supposedly) sober, Bobby can't seem to keep a stable line up.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:58 am 

I did find this to be rather sudden. Hopefully it's a solid project and Pentagram is able to keep a good momentum. Still haven't gotten around to Place Of Skulls for some reason.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:59 am 

well Death Row was supposed to do new stuff...

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:37 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

I believe he has a new band. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be good. Victor is a talented guy.

I believe with Victor's departure that leaves Bobby as only player to appear on the last LP. Even (supposedly) sober, Bobby can't seem to keep a stable line up.

If you watch the Liebling documentary (and I highly recommend it) "Last Days Here", it would certainly seem that Leibling is a hard person to work with.

Hopefully he's not on drugs again - this was one of the big reasons other people left.

Turtle_Factory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:33 pm 

Decibel magazine also had a fantastic cover story on Liebling and a great Hall of Fame Review. Honestly can't help but to feel kind of sad for Bobby, with Victor gone I can't see how he'll put Pentagram together. To be honest, he's just fucked up. I kind of wish the story would have been a little different for him, with all the story about the huge drug abuse through his life. Although I also remember Victor Griffin stating that he wasn't particularly happy with some of Pentagram's imagery either.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:19 pm 

Itheus wrote:
If you watch the Liebling documentary (and I highly recommend it) "Last Days Here", it would certainly seem that Leibling is a hard person to work with.

Hopefully he's not on drugs again - this was one of the big reasons other people left.

I'm watching the documentary on Netflix right now which reminded me I still haven't listened to all of [i]Last Rites. What are peoples' thoughts on the (probabky) last Victor Griffin album?

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:45 am 

Dooders wrote:
Itheus wrote:

I'm watching the documentary on Netflix right now which reminded me I still haven't listened to all of [i]Last Rites. What are peoples' thoughts on the (probabky) last Victor Griffin album?

I've only heard a couple Pentagram albums in their entirety but I think it works pretty well. There are a few filler tracks in the middle but there are some amazing songs on there. Into The Ground, 8, and Nothing Left all have gotten a ton of plays lately.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:32 pm 

well liebling is a christian himself so.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:01 am 

Turtle_Factory wrote:
Decibel magazine also had a fantastic cover story on Liebling and a great Hall of Fame Review. Honestly can't help but to feel kind of sad for Bobby, with Victor gone I can't see how he'll put Pentagram together. To be honest, he's just fucked up. I kind of wish the story would have been a little different for him, with all the story about the huge drug abuse through his life. Although I also remember Victor Griffin stating that he wasn't particularly happy with some of Pentagram's imagery either.

I'm pretty sure that they cleared up the whole imagery thing before Victor re-joined. I believe it was one of the conditions of him coming back and, like someone else said, Bobby claims to be a Christian now, anyway, so I don't think it was really an issue. The image was never really key for Pentagram, anyway.

I don't feel sad for Bobby. The majority of Pentagram's problems throughout the years have been related to Bobby, specifically through his drug abuse and his ego, which has been as big a problem for him as heroin has been. You can read Joe Hasselvander's blog, or various interviews with Geof O'Keefe, to see what it's like to work with Bobby.

Reply to topic