Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:34 am 

So there was a thread on one of their new songs, but I am wondering what everyone thought about the whole album.

I think it is pretty decent and a huge step up from their last album.

What are your opinions?

Artist: Cryptopsy
Album: Cryptopsy
Release: september 2012

deicidefan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:34 am 

It reminds me of Anomalous only less technical. It's good, its a step up, but I will probably still keep spinning None So Vile when I want to listen to Cryptopsy tho.

DeadXManiac wrote:
Benton's the T-Pain of death metal.

#ONLYSLAMISREAL

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:40 am 

Not awful, but not exactly good, either. Also, Matt sounds like Sven de Caluwe to the point of outright plagiarism.

billboy73
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:21 am 

I am really enjoying it. It has some great riffing and some of that classic Mike era crazy structure. I think the biggest complaint has been Matt's vocals. I don't mind them too much, but I am more of a music guy anyways. Flo and Jon working together again is awesome. I love WS and ATYB, and this seems like a continuation of that style, so that is why I am enjoying it.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:23 am 

Have yet to hear the entire album, but so far, so good. Proven once more that Levasseur IS Cryptopsy, period. Mournier and The Worm are just icing on the Levasseur-ness cake, so to speak.

sourlows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:58 pm 

I think the generic production job sucks. The upper range of the rhythm guitars sound too clean (contrast with NSV) and take some of the signature Levasseur edge off of the riffs. I think the vocals are good on their own, but obviously lack the theatricality and distinct but intuitive rhythmic delivery Lord Worm had in his prime. I do think the vocals generally get too much of the blame, the guy is a good vocalist - especially compared to Mike DiSalvo who everyone eventually learned to deal with - just maybe not for Cryptopsy (and then you have to ask yourself who WOULD be a good vocalist for this band?)

All that aside, I actually like the album. Considering TUK it's obviously good, but even in comparison to Once Was Not and ATYB it's pretty good. I didn't really care for the various interludes, the song titles or lyrics, or the godawful cover art, but imo it delivered where it mattered. If you're a Cryptopsy fan you shouldn't be afraid of giving it a chance.

Edit: I agree with the idea that it is most similar to the Mike albums (WS and ATYB) despite a lot of people comparing it with NSV myself included.

Necrotic3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:06 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
Have yet to hear the entire album, but so far, so good. Proven once more that Levasseur IS Cryptopsy, period. Mournier and The Worm are just icing on the Levasseur-ness cake, so to speak.

I've been saying this for ages now but no one really knows it. Jon Levasseur is the most criminally underrated songwriter/guitarist in metal ever. So not surprised by the new album being so great, I totally called it. The guy steps back in the band after many years of absence and fuckin' nails it, just godly!!!

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:14 am 

Nope. the guy before him was the underrated one, John can't write worth a shit, his riffs are ok to excellent, but his songs are messy and formless.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:22 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:
Nope. the guy before him was the underrated one, John can't write worth a shit, his riffs are ok to excellent, but his songs are messy and formless.

Exactly how Cryptopsy should be. Let's face it: Levasseur has been involved in every (at least) decent Cryptopsy album. I count "Whisper Supremacy" and "...and Then You'll Beg" here because aside from DiSalvo's vocals, no one could complain about them, music was still the ferocious beast we enjoy. Other members though talented, could not provide what Levasseur adds to Cryptopsy.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:50 pm 

I loved it. It was like Whisper Supremacy with a modern production job and different singer.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necrotic3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:17 pm 

lord_ghengis wrote:

Didn't want to argue with you a while back coz I really didn't know but you should check out Levasseur's interview for None so Vile in the Decibels Hall of Fame and you'll see that the other guy (I forget his name) didn't write anything on NsV. Makes sense too, their 1st album is average at best and sounds like shit. For me, Cryptopsy started at NsV and I most certainly recognize stuff on their new album that reminds me of it. Levasseur is Cryptopsy, period!!!

Necrotic3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:21 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

Exactly how Cryptopsy should be. Let's face it: Levasseur has been involved in every (at least) decent Cryptopsy album. I count "Whisper Supremacy" and "...and Then You'll Beg" here because aside from DiSalvo's vocals, no one could complain about them, music was still the ferocious beast we enjoy. Other members though talented, could not provide what Levasseur adds to Cryptopsy.

+1 well said m8

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:29 pm 

Necrotic3 wrote:
lord_ghengis wrote:

Didn't want to argue with you a while back coz I really didn't know but you should check out Levasseur's interview for None so Vile in the Decibels Hall of Fame and you'll see that the other guy (I forget his name) didn't write anything on NsV. Makes sense too, their 1st album is average at best and sounds like shit. For me, Cryptopsy started at NsV and I most certainly recognize stuff on their new album that reminds me of it. Levasseur is Cryptopsy, period!!!

First album kicks ass, but yes, has a laughably bad sound. Thibault says otherwise, so it's a bit he says, he says there. All I see is that NSV has careful song writing and groove like the debut, everything after doesn't have either of those in the slightest, so I'm more inclined to believe Thibault, since the music seems to back him up. John added the overt technicality, Steve kept everything sensible and catchy.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:43 pm 

It's everything I would've wanted in a Cryptopsy album. So I'm very pleased and glad I pre-ordered mine. Stated a bunch more in the other thread you refrenced so I don't feel like going back and copy and pasting or restating everything exactly.

I enjoy the fuck out of it and that's all that matters.

Necrotic3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:24 pm 

@ Lord Ghengis

Weird logic: 1- Thibalt is not even on NsV, no mention on NsV that he wrote music 2- basically saying that Levaseur is lying? really don't think so especially after hearing the new album, seems more like Thibault just likes to brag about it because NsV is the cult album for most fans. BTW Amputated Enigma off the new album sounds even pre-NsV, very simple and straight forward, has a Graves of the Fathers feel to it, just like the good old days!! So, I'm more inclined to believe John but I would be curious to hear projects from Thibault after Cryptopsy just to see if it sounds anything like NsV.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:29 pm 

The new album pretty much has everything for fans of different eras of Cryptopsy. You can hear some classical-esque tremolo riffs here and there, plenty of frenzied grinds, and a lot of good mid-paced headbanging riffs. It all flows together quite nicely imo.

SingLoco
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:51 pm 

Damn, I hate to dampen the good vibes, but man I find it hard to get into anything post Ungentle Exhumation, Blasphemy Made Flesh, or None So Vile! The new vocalists just ain't doing it for me; the new one was pretty much unbearable and I had to switch it off after a couple songs. I've given the other albums a fair shot too, but I can't ever get into 'em. I really think Lord Worm was one of the most talented dm vocalists ever, but it wasn't just that, it was the music, and the way the final product sounded as well back then that made it "vntouchable" for me, I guess.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:03 am 

I think it has good elements, but the whole is still lacking. There are good riffs, brutal drumming and great soloing but, for me, not implemented together really well. Sure, it's miles better than TUK, but I think this line-up needs to work a little bit more to get a more cohesive songwriting cause I can identify the good parts of the songs, but I can't enjoy them from start to finish since there are bad parts too (mostly of the -core aspect of some riffs and some 'breakdowns' or the simplest groovy sections).

Also, vocals are bad; not laughable as on TUK, but below average. it's not like the guy can't growl: he's very monotonous and his phrasing is boring too, even Glen Benton sounds more interesting than Matt. a 60% I think it's fair.

shitekrust
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 pm 

Necrotic3 wrote:
Weird logic: 1- Thibalt is not even on NsV, no mention on NsV that he wrote music 2- basically saying that Levaseur is lying? really don't think so especially after hearing the new album, seems more like Thibault just likes to brag about it because NsV is the cult album for most fans. BTW Amputated Enigma off the new album sounds even pre-NsV, very simple and straight forward, has a Graves of the Fathers feel to it, just like the good old days!! So, I'm more inclined to believe John but I would be curious to hear projects from Thibault after Cryptopsy just to see if it sounds anything like NsV.

But Cryptopsy was playing songs from NSV live before they had released the album and Thibault was still in the band.

Here's some Necrosis songs with Thibault on guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Azmg0gjGU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmqzeUn3574

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:01 pm 

The album is very sterile, both in terms of production and songwriting. The former is overtly polished, modern and safe, while the latter is disjointed and goes nowhere whatsoever. The performances are tight as hell, yes, and there's the occasional cool riff, but as a whole it falls apart rather quickly. And while Matt's vocals aren't as terrible as they were in TUK, tell me..... Will you eat a turd if it's sprinkled with sugar? Yeah, didn't think so.

Necrotic3
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:42 pm 

shitekrust wrote:
Necrotic3 wrote:

But Cryptopsy was playing songs from NSV live before they had released the album and Thibault was still in the band.

Here's some Necrosis songs with Thibault on guitar:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Azmg0gjGU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmqzeUn3574

Yeah I've seen some videos with him but doesn't mean he wrote anything. Thanx for the links but those two songs sound like shit and sound NOTHING like NsV so I'm far from convinced. Main thing is that the new record crushes fuckin' skulls!!!

Misfit74
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:54 am 

The vocals really blow it for me, even though I enjoy the guitars and music otherwise.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:33 am 

Do they make fun of their old fans in this one too?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:42 pm 

Necrotic3 wrote:
@ Lord Ghengis

Actually, Thibault is officially credited on None So Vile.

The first two are stylistically uniform, although it's easy to see many superficial similarities between WS and NSV (which probably are Levasseur's influence). We might never know who really wrote the material on None So Vile, but it's quite obvious that if it was Levasseur, it still remains his only masterpiece. I haven't listened to the new album other than for the "trailer", but assuming they didn't choose the most unimpressive passages for a trailer I'm inclined to think that None So Vile was either a fluke or written by someone who is no longer in the band. Especially considering that post Thibault's departure they took a nosedive in quality, and with this album they only managed to return to an already inferior previous level.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:41 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
We might never know who really wrote the material on None So Vile

That's probably true for the most part but there are some exceptions. In a recent video with Flo and Jon they talked about how the two of them sat down and wrote Benedictine Convulsions in a single session one afternoon.

I think it's quite possible that the change in style had a lot to do with Flo and Jon wanting to push things further, which they did with mixed results. I enjoy what they did with Whisper Supremacy and the new record, but I understand why people draw a line after None So Vile.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:12 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
We might never know who really wrote the material on None So Vile

That's probably true for the most part but there are some exceptions. In a recent video with Flo and Jon they talked about how the two of them sat down and wrote Benedictine Convulsions in a single session one afternoon.

I think it's quite possible that the change in style had a lot to do with Flo and Jon wanting to push things further, which they did with mixed results. I enjoy what they did with Whisper Supremacy and the new record, but I understand why people draw a line after None So Vile.

Benedictine Convulsions is somewhat different from what I consider to be particularly brilliant stuff on NSV, though, like Crown of Horns, Slit Your Guts, Phobophile and to a lesser extent, Lichmistress and Dead And Dripping.

lord_ghengis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:12 pm 

Benedictine is my favourite track on the album and the one I use for an example of genius song writing which is all over the album, its quite sad to learn that Jon once had that brilliance in him, and now just creates formless masses of riffs with a billion stop start transitions.

Reply to topic