* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:03 am 

Razakel wrote:
VHSDVD123 wrote:
In Germany do they play power metal on the radio? It seems that every German I have talked to has heard of and listened to Helloween, Blind Guardian, Edguy etc

When I was in Germany in the summer of 2010 there were huge Blind Guardian billboards in downtown Berlin and Hamburg advertising their new album. I'm sure power metal gets some other mainstream exposure there, and Ramstein is one of their most popular bands, so yeah, Germany rules.

Rammstein is pop music and sucks though, and the "normal" people I meet usually don't know any metal bands save for (by name) Metallica, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Motörhead. Oh and if Power Metal gets mainstream exposure I didn't notice.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:38 am 

matras wrote:
I once met two Americans and asked them if they thought Wrest is as much of a douchebag as I do, and they didn't know what I was talking about. Weird huh?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

VHSDVD123
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:02 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Razakel wrote:
When I was in Germany in the summer of 2010 there were huge Blind Guardian billboards in downtown Berlin and Hamburg advertising their new album. I'm sure power metal gets some other mainstream exposure there, and Ramstein is one of their most popular bands, so yeah, Germany rules.

Rammstein is pop music and sucks though, and the "normal" people I meet usually don't know any metal bands save for (by name) Metallica, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Motörhead. Oh and if Power Metal gets mainstream exposure I didn't notice.

Sorry to sway off topic here (though I guess we are still talking about countries, their contributions to metal, and what the general public thinks of them) but I remember reading that At The Edge of Time was Number 2 on the German charts for a couple weeks, and seen a video on youtube of a german music store around July 2010 when At The Edge of Time first came out and remember seeing a huge Blind Guardian themed wall on the store selling all their releases. So maybe all though they arent being played on the mainstream pop radiostations, they are most likely still a well known part of modern german music. (to keep this on topic, I'm sure in Norway its the same with black metal) Or maybe even here in North America with acts like Dave Matthews Bands and stuff, and here in Canada, The Final Frontier by Iron Maiden was the number one album for a while, despite Iron Maiden getting no radioplay at all besides the occasional Run To The Hills

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:10 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

Metal's a bit more common here in the north because NDR (a local TV sender) harps on about Wacken a lot. But bands that are considered "massive" in metal circles - Blind Guardian, Kreator, or Helloween for example - are more or less unheard of. Thing is, there are so many popular bands in soooo many genres that bands can be relatively popular and still unknown. I went and saw the stoner rock band Colour Haze the other night and they filled a venue that probably holds 500 people, but no one's ever heard of them. I imagine it's a similar story for metal bands.

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:17 pm 

No experience with Norway, but Regarding metal in Germany I can relate a little.

Maybe it's because I currently live in a metal desert also known as the commonwealth of Virginia, in the US, but everytime, I go to Germany lots of people are either into metal, or know a lot about it. Everything from underground stuff to the bigger names of German PowerMetal. Last time about a year ago in a small city (less than 100K) in southern Germany named Biberach and der Riß, I must have run into at least 10 real metal heads. A guy in a Napalm Death shirt, another wearing a Summerbreeze shirt, two hardcore death metal fanatics at a bar, etc.... That kind of shit doesn't happen alot to me here in the States if ever.

Regarding Swedish people, same thing. Met a couple of different Swedes and talked metal. One guy who looked like a normal college student loved Watain and Unanimated. Another guy in his 40's said "You mean like In Flames" when I mentioned I liked Swedish music. I said not really. Then he said "What? like Stockholm bands such as Entombed". I was blown away.

Metal is definitely a bigger part of popular culture over in Europe, more accepted and more recognized across many different bondaries, than here in the states. Lots of people don't even realize that metal still exists in the US outside of AOR bullshit, deathcore and Metallica. Sad but true (no pun intended).

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:24 pm 

matras wrote:
DeathFog wrote:
I had a chance to visit the eastern coast of Norway. (...)

Norway has an eastern coast!?? :eek: :wink:

It does, actually. Vardø and such.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:41 pm 

Delta_Wing wrote:
Maybe it's because I currently live in a metal desert also known as the commonwealth of Virginia, in the US, but everytime, I go to Germany lots of people are either into metal, or know a lot about it. Everything from underground stuff to the bigger names of German PowerMetal. Last time about a year ago in a small city (less than 100K) in southern Germany named Biberach and der Riß, I must have run into at least 10 real metal heads. A guy in a Napalm Death shirt, another wearing a Summerbreeze shirt, two hardcore death metal fanatics at a bar, etc.... That kind of shit doesn't happen alot to me here in the States if ever.

Yeah, we've got a comparatively big metal scene and I saw some guy with a baby stroller wearing an Unleashed shirt today, but as I said, the average german is totally oblivious. If you aren't into it, you don't know about it, or to say it in a positive way; If you know it, you're into it :-D (tautologically)
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:04 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Yeah, we've got a comparatively big metal scene and I saw some guy with a baby stroller wearing an Unleashed shirt today, but as I said, the average german is totally oblivious. If you aren't into it, you don't know about it, or to say it in a positive way; If you know it, you're into it :-D (tautologically)

I agree the average Joe probably doesn't recognize the bands, styles or scenes, but the general genre of metal is definitely more recognized by people in Germany and not as shunned. Like my Opa from Stuttgart used to say "Willst du auch mit diesen Metalspinner krach machen?" and it's no big deal or taboo.

Here in the states average people just assume younger generations like either country music, pop or HipHop. You mention metal and it's "people still listen to that kill your mother, kill your father music?" and you get the look.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2