Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MalariaMosquito
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:25 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The part with Sin Nanna screaming in a cave was absolutely hilarious.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the point of that was. It was pretty chuckleworthy, especially afterwards when Wrest and Malefic shit all over the idea of corpse paint. It kind of makes Sin Nanna look juvenile, even though he's probably the best adjusted of the three.

godsonsafari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:00 pm 

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure what the point of that was. It was pretty chuckleworthy, especially afterwards when Wrest and Malefic shit all over the idea of corpse paint.

He probably wanted to do it? Show off how serious he was? I don't think Wrest shit on it at all. He remarked that it was "silly" (because it is) but he also said it gives the music an edge and changes the perspective of what the artists are doing. I tend to think Malefic's assessment is more reasonable, which I admit is strange in that it forces me to say that something Malefic did was comparatively reasonable.

A good documentary should teach you things, maybe even reassess things you thought you knew. Definitely feel that way about Wrest/Whitehead. I can't imagine becoming a full bore apologist for the man, and yet clearly there's more to him than sensational headlines and charges he beat. Malefic still has aspirations. Him droning on about not wanting to just be known for black metal? Thought that was interesting. Definitely foretold the present. Him getting deep into Kansas was surprising.

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:36 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:

Striborg is fairly well known to black metal fans.

Ah right, then. It makes sense, the project is prolific and the music is good, I'm not surprised. That was an interesting release too, A Tragic Journey Towards The Light. I was viewing the details for it over the archives and I thought that the concept for it was actually pretty cool.

Necroticism174 wrote:
The part with Sin Nanna screaming in a cave was absolutely hilarious.

I will admit, I did have a few laughs over that one. It seemed unexpected when it came up, though. Now who was it that said that Sin Nanna sounds like a yoga instructor? haha

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:06 am 

that was awesome.I can relate to these guys so much,not on the black metal aspect though as i am new to this genre.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:12 am 

The most hilarious part definitely was Malefic being miserable and having flashbacks about his tormented past and then his cat comes in the room and he lights up with the biggest fucking grin ever.

Great documentary.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:26 am 

I'd say this is probably the best metal documentary I've watched, in all honesty. Given the limitations of documentary in general as a style and source of insight, it does really really well.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:53 am 

The whole Sir Nanna part was goofy beyond my imagination.
Yeah, the cave shrieking was of course the highlight but i started laughing already when he walked around in the forest.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:42 am 

Each segment has made me want to check these bands out, but I just can't get into it. Any suggestion on the most accessible release?

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:13 pm 

I hadn't listened to any of these bands before watching the documentary but I found it rather interesting nonetheless. I will probably check out these guys' projects sometime soon.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:28 pm 

vulcan plutarchy wrote:
Each segment has made me want to check these bands out, but I just can't get into it. Any suggestion on the most accessible release?

I'd suggest, for Xasthur, probably check out Telepathic With The Deceased first up. I thought that the tones on that release were rather diverse, and that there was a wide spectrum of tones being utilized within those songs, so perhaps it is a great indication as to what the general style of Xasthur's music is? check it out anyway, there are some good riffs within some of those songs. Either this or the debut, either are good choices I suppose.

Hope you find what you are looking for in this music mate. Black metal is an incredibly vast genre of music, so if Xasthur, Leviathan or Striborg aren't for you then don't give up. Try Drowning The Light instead :)

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:53 pm 

vulcan plutarchy wrote:

Xasthur in this order:

Telepathic with the Deceased
Nocturnal Poisoning
To Violate the Oblivious <- this on is my personal favorite.

Leviathan:

Tentacles of Horror
Split with Xasthur <- his great song ever is on this split
Tenth Sub-Level of Suicide

Striborg:

SouthWest Passage
Embittered Darkness/Isle De Morts

Striborg is the least consistent of the three, Leviathan is probably the most. The thing about Striborg is, you'll either love it or hate it, very few indifferent fans.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:57 pm 

It was really interesting to finally know the inspiration behind Lurker of Chalice.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:52 pm 

Overall, a really cool documentary. I'm glad it was made. Having said that, I don't think it reached the potential it had with these bands. It didn't really get to the heart of the matter, I don't really feel I understand these people any more than beyond the fact they're introverted musicians. Maybe that's all there is to it. Anyway, it was cool to get some insight into these bands (especially Leviathan, since it's the only one I'm a fan of) and it was a fun watch.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:44 am 

No love for subliminal genocide? I really enjoyed that one, it's probably the only album I've heard that made me feel really uneasy throughout. Never got into Leviathan, although I have an album downloaded (The tenth sub-level of suicide) which I feel like I should give another chance after watching this. Overall a superbly done documentary, was really interested in each musician, despite my lack of interest in DSBM as a whole with the exception of a couple bands. I agree with whoever said a DVD with extended footage would be really cool.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:53 am 

Wombface wrote:
The most hilarious part definitely was Malefic being miserable and having flashbacks about his tormented past and then his cat comes in the room and he lights up with the biggest fucking grin ever.

Great documentary.

Quoted for truth though the cave sequence was also pretty damn funny. In hindsight, I'm a little surprised that the cat wasn't referenced earlier but I figure it would've taken away the drama of the interviews a little too early. And I don't care how kvlt you are, no black metal fan should hate cats.

But yeah, this was a pretty cool documentary that I'll have to watch again in its entirety as opposed to the installments. Also sounds like I have some bands to get into in the near future...

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:13 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Quoted for truth though the cave sequence was also pretty damn funny. In hindsight, I'm a little surprised that the cat wasn't referenced earlier but I figure it would've taken away the drama of the interviews a little too early. And I don't care how kvlt you are, no black metal fan should hate cats.

The cat was pretty kvlt though, black as Malefic's heart. Really was the best scene though.

I said before, I never cared much about USBM, but Wrest's parts made me want to check Lurker of The Chalice

CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:01 pm 

Marag wrote:
Twisted_Psychology wrote:

The cat was pretty kvlt though, black as Malefic's heart. Really was the best scene though.

I said before, I never cared much about USBM, but Wrest's parts made me want to check Lurker of The Chalice

Yeah, me too. It was nice to get a bit of background to that. I was glad Wrest opened up about his girlfriend. It shows that this music IS real. Even if you don't like the style or whatever, you have to appreciate the sincerity.

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:28 am 

Lurker is fantastic, though I find it surprising that he explained the direction as "having a muse". I find no hopeful or romantic undertones...still hopelessness.

However I would still put it as a huge recommendation for a fan of this genre. Really a recommendation for any fan of extreme music that's willing to go down a dark, ambient pathway.

I've listened to Striborg on a few occasions, and am not a big fan. I find a lot in common with him in regard to being a "normal" person living "normalcy"; but having/using music as an outlet. Still couldn't keep myself straight faced during the whole cave scream though.

I loved Malefic's parts. Xasthur was the only one of the three I hadn't listened to extensively. I'm now very interested as his misanthrope and his hermit ways.

Good documentary...shared it with fellow metalheads and misanthropes alike.

Sorry if this is a sloppy post - from my phone and don't have the energy to proofread right now.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:41 am 

Itheus wrote:

Sorry if this is a sloppy post - from my phone and don't have the energy to proofread right now.

oh the horror if your post was sloppy,the unending horror

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:26 am 

Itheus wrote:
I've listened to Striborg on a few occasions, and am not a big fan. I find a lot in common with him in regard to being a "normal" person living "normalcy"; but having/using music as an outlet.

does he live normal?looks like he's pretty isolated where he lives.

katatonia47
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:29 am 

From what I've seen, Tassie's not too bad. It does get pretty desolate at times though. Judging from the shots of his 'town' he's in one of those areas where there's about 5 houses and a pub, then a shitload of forest.

Dvorak
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:14 am 

Malefic has a copy of the Heavy Metal Fun Time Activity Book on his shelf (you can only see the back of it though).

So cool.

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:45 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
vulcan plutarchy wrote:

Xasthur in this order:

Telepathic with the Deceased
Nocturnal Poisoning
To Violate the Oblivious <- this on is my personal favorite.

Leviathan:

Tentacles of Horror
Split with Xasthur <- his great song ever is on this split
Tenth Sub-Level of Suicide

Striborg:

SouthWest Passage
Embittered Darkness/Isle De Morts

Striborg is the least consistent of the three, Leviathan is probably the most. The thing about Striborg is, you'll either love it or hate it, very few indifferent fans.

Seconded, with the exception of Nocturnal Poisoning, as I was never into that album. All Reflections Drained is amazing, IMO, though. It's more of a dark, ambiental approach for Xasthur.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:18 pm 

As for recommendations for each band:

For Xasthur I would start with 'Subliminal Genocide' or 'Telepathic With the Deceased' I think these are two of his finest works although I love everything he does and have every release by him that's available. I find all of them amazing in their own ways.

Leviathan is another of my favourite bands and I would recommend either 'Tenth Sub Level of Suicide', 'Tentacles of Whorror' or the split with Xasthur. Also I would highly recommend the Lurker of Chalice album for more dark ambient music.

Striborg is the one I have most recently gotten into but the albums I love most are 'Autumnal Melancholy' and 'Mysterious Semblance'.

Hope this helps people just getting into these amazing bands.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:35 am 

Southwest Passage sounds the most suitable to me but unfortunately there are no YouTube playlists for it.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:58 am 

syx wrote:
As for recommendations for each band:

For Xasthur I would start with 'Subliminal Genocide' or 'Telepathic With the Deceased' I think these are two of his finest works although I love everything he does and have every release by him that's available. I find all of them amazing in their own ways.

Leviathan is another of my favourite bands and I would recommend either 'Tenth Sub Level of Suicide', 'Tentacles of Whorror' or the split with Xasthur. Also I would highly recommend the Lurker of Chalice album for more dark ambient music.

Striborg is the one I have most recently gotten into but the albums I love most are 'Autumnal Melancholy' and 'Mysterious Semblance'.

Hope this helps people just getting into these amazing bands.

Thanks,yeah helps a lot.Iv got one album from each artist,'southwest passage' 'nocturnal poisoning' and 'tentacles of whorror' .Have been ejoying all three,especially xasthur.
Ordered 'telepathic with the deceased' from a guy in the states through discogs a while ago but he doesn't seem want to reply,maybe it was the storm or something....

syx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:21 am 

@ bloodycumshit

Hope the seller responds, if not can you get Discogs to intervene? I've luckily never had a problem on Discogs. I think I got my copy in Resurrection Records (London) about 5 or 6 years ago.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:37 am 

syx wrote:
@ bloodycumshit

Hope the seller responds, if not can you get Discogs to intervene? I've luckily never had a problem on Discogs. I think I got my copy in Resurrection Records (London) about 5 or 6 years ago.

im sure discogs would intervene if the guy simply never got back to me,iv never had a problem with discogs either.
Would never find the album in my area,i live like sir nanna (rural country land in the middle of fucking nowhere :lol: )

CrypticMonk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:38 pm 

Discogs is shit.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:21 am 

CrypticMonk wrote:
Discogs is shit.

i asked in another thread" where is the best place to buy/order black metal from" and didn't get an answer.Have a feeling you might have an idea?

got a reply,"telepathic with the deceased" is on its way .Cant complain about discogs,got the cd for as cheap as off i tunes ,and its getting shipped half way round the world

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:06 am 

Quite interesting though not especially illuminating. I'd almost rather not hear or see these guys; its breaks the mystique they have cultivated somewhat. Plus they all seemed to be a little bit douchey, probably besides Xasthur; Jeff Whitehead seemed kind of evasive and didn't seem to make eye contact with interviewer- possibly uncomfortable but he seemed unconvincing. Striborg seemed to be trying to live a black metal cliche; I just can't take an aussie bloke walking around a forest wearing a cape and corpse-paint seriously. Xasthur seemed to be pretty chilled out, not trying to come across as either a mystic or toughguy.

In terms of music, I think that Xasthur is the best of all three, disytinctive and oddly dissonant music with a heap of feeling. Leviathan is talented but doesn't really grab me, and I've never been able to connect toStriborg's music ever. Probably will have to dig out Ghostwoodlands and have another listen.

I'd love a comprehensive doco about black metal from, say, 1980 on...

LiberXul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:21 am 

Just in case some people are unaware, you can contact Scott Conner through his facebook page for his new project. He's under the name Nocturnal Poisoning (ex Xasthur), and he is a chilled, nice guy. He gave me some advice about recording and some equipment. Definitely worth checking out his page and showing some support, he has offered some special editions of the new album, one including tablature for a Xasthur piece, a copy of Portal of Sorrow and a demo of the new album. This ends on the 10th though.

I'll probably check it out on the net before I get a copy though, if I do.

On the subject of the actual documentary, I found the filming and interviewing was very good. A lot of interviewers these days receive way too much flak for just doing their job, but I found that the interviewer for this was a real genuine person. He got a tattoo of a piece of art from Leviathan, which I think says a lot.

And good on Russel for living out a ''bm stereotype''. Living a dream I guess, I take my hat off to him.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:51 pm 

Are there any samples of Nocturnal Poisoning anywhere? The new project, not the Xasthur album.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:01 pm 

do all the xasthur booklets have nothing in them at all like nocturnal poisoning,or does he branch out and maybe put some lyrics in or something in later albums?

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:22 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
do all the xasthur booklets have nothing in them at all like nocturnal poisoning,or does he branch out and maybe put some lyrics in or something in later albums?

Yeah, later albums all have more extensive liner notes, 'Telepathic with the Deceased' in particular. That one has all the lyrics, as well as a lengthy rant about internet people acting like they're 'true'. It's kind of amusing, but also a bit silly.

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:58 am 

Visiting Scott's Facebook page has left me confused as fuck. He seems like a really normal guy on his Facebook, nothing like what he's portraying on this documentary, makes me wonder if he was maybe "playing" the part for the documentary and he's really just a regular guy in real life.

Mike_235
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:04 am 

Can you take a screenshot of his Facebook page and post it here? I'd be interested to see it but since I don't have a FB account I can't.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:46 pm 

maxxpower wrote:
Visiting Scott's Facebook page has left me confused as fuck. He seems like a really normal guy on his Facebook, nothing like what he's portraying on this documentary, makes me wonder if he was maybe "playing" the part for the documentary and he's really just a regular guy in real life.

i find people make out there lives are more than what they are in real life on face book,so maybe hes just playing the part on face book...maybe

Mike_235 wrote:
Can you take a screenshot of his Facebook page and post it here? I'd be interested to see it but since I don't have a FB account I can't.

same

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:18 pm 

The Facebook page is viewable in its entirety without being logged in.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:16 pm 

You know you live under a rock when Malefic has FB and you don't.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next