Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:20 pm 

First time I see this thread, so I have been acquainting myself with some doom/heavy metal african bands all morning! :headbang:

First of all, I'm gonna say straight up I didn't find any band I thought was awesome but some stuff was promising. It's subtle, but there's definitely a local influence despite the overall very traditional feel in the music. Musicianship was definitely an issue in what I heard, in studio and especially live.

I'm not sure how one could infer african countries will never have good, or even great bands. The scene and its musicians just need to develop further. I'm guessing the infrastructures are still lacking in many countries to create winning conditions for a flourishing scene, which needs musicians but also fans.

I think one thing that would help immensely is if international acts came to visit once in a while. It doesn't need to be major acts, but quality second tier bands who really know how to put on a show would do wonders. You get two or three such bands (of varied style) as headliners, then african bands in support slots. IME, nothing creates hardcore metalhead as well as a superb live performance and a great number of musicians identify a particular live gig as the the turning point in their life when they decided to pick up an instrument, form a band or follow a particular musical path because it's such a visceral experience. But of course, creating such a festival would be a bitch financially and would have to be seen as an investment the first few years. I don't even know if that is possible.

The time will come! Meanwhile, this is fucking awesome:

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:42 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
That should be a short book. I mean, writing a book about an entire continent that is incapable of producing a good metal band, let alone an original one should be quite the challenge. I assume this guy is going to travel to Africa, so he can experience the 'African scene' first-hand? If not, then I may as well write a book about obscure crappy metal bands no one else around the world knows or cares about. I think I shall call it 'POW! A Pocketguide To Polynesian Power Metal'.

I'd much rather read a well-written book about, say, FInnish metal or Australian metal, you know, places that actually manage to have decent bands and a sound of their own.

Anyway, if this guy had any sense, he would hunt down the guys who ran Total Chaos (they all live in the UK now as far as I know), the best metal store Johannesburg ever had, open from 1990/1991 to early 1996 I think. He could probably get two chapters of stories out of them. Well, that's my good deed of the day done, may all your African metal dreams come true~~

So, an American dude wants to write a book about African metal because he liked what he heard. What the hell's wrong with that?
As an African who has also lived in the States and been into metal since he was a teen, I can state for a fact that scenes do exist on the continent and are growing, now more than ever.

To claim that African bands are terrible is fucking stupid. I honestly hear nothing terrible about this or this or this or this or even this.

I think what most people would like to see is a band successfully marry traditional African music and themes with metal as if only that makes it legitimate somehow. I would like that of course too but if there's bands that feel inclined to play straight ahead metal without feeling the need to dip into some native well, that is fine as paint with me.

Punishing
Delicious Penis Connoisseur

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:58 pm 

shouvince wrote:
^ Pretty good. But I feel when one thinks 'africa', more often than not, the north-african countries don't usually come to mind. Many look at that region as MENA (Middle-East and North Africa). Anywho, Egypt has decent bands too. I've seen this band called 'Hate Suffocation', now known as 'Scarab'. It's pretty much what you expect, death metal with an egyptian vibe and use of some indigenous instruments.

With regards to the rest of the continent, I'm sure there are scenes and fans but as far as original music goes, I've not heard anything that strikes distinctly well.

Thank you! Egypt does have some quality bands, I am happy to report, and its share of crappy ones as well. Scarab is of course one of the good ones but be sure to check out Al Azif (yes, as in Lovecraft :)), Anarchy, Wyvern and Sinprophecy.

Oh and Egypt is Africa. We certainly don't view ourselves as Middle Eastern. Maybe the folks in Tunisia do but not in Egypt and Algeria and Libya and all those glorious places. From a historical and ancient-cultural stand point we are closer to Sub Saharan Africa, plus all the conquests and what have you. From a religious and modern-cultural stand point is where the link to the Middle East is pronounced. But since I am not Muslim and prefer the Egypt of old, I, like so many others I know do not recognize Egypt as MENA but as African.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:52 am 

J_Ason wrote:
What's up with all the white guys in these bands? I just did a quick check on wikipedia and the percent of white people in Africa is 0.56%, and without South Africa it's 0.051%. Still, most of the guys I saw when I looked up the bands on the first post in MA, most of the guys were white. Where are the nigga nigga nigga bands?

There's nothing on Wikipedia about African Metal. Clearly your search wasn't wide!

But let me help you out with images of actual bands;

Wrust (Botswana - Death)

Dividing The Element (Zimbabwe - Tech Death/core)

Metal Orizon (Botswana - Heavy/Hard rock)

Neblina (Angola - Gothic/Alternative)

Skinflint (past)

Skinflint (current) (Botswana - Traditional heavy metal)

Vale of Amonition (past)

Vale of Amonition (current) (Uganda - Doom/Folk)

Stane (Botswana - Thrash)

Before Crush (Angola - Metalcore)

Overthrust (Botswana - Death)

Threatening (Uganda - Power)
Spoiler: show
their drummer is black

Lust Of A Dying Breed (Kenya - Deathcore)

Sasamaso (Madagascar - Heavy/Hard rock)

E-Force (Botswana - Thrash)

Satan Is Lord (Uganda - Black/Doom)

Demogoroth Satanum (South Africa - Black)

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:52 am 

Those look badasss!

I checked out Skinflint and the South African power metal band Strident. Really good stuff actually. Skinflint sounds like Slough Feg in an African setting and Strident play ballsy Accept-styled PM.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Punishing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:11 am 

Alasdair Bulmer on Invisible Oranges is currently writing a series on African metal and his articles are a riveting read!

Here's the first he did on Egypt;
"Culture Of The Undefeated"
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/05 ... ndefeated/

The second installment was of Libya and Tunisia;
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/06 ... d-tunisia/

The recent article is of Algeria and Morocco;
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2013/08 ... a-morocco/

So he is working his way from the north downwards. I highly recommend these pieces for anyone looking to learn more about the scene. They are well researched and the closest to the truth than anything you'll come across regarding African metal.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:28 pm 

That girl in that Skinflint band photo is pretty sexy

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:31 am 

For those who might be interested: I have just done a quite detailed interview with Metal Orizon from Botswana:

http://kluseba.eklablog.com/interview-w ... -a96832545

Punishing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:54 am 

Great read, kluseba.
Botswana has some really promising bands and although I wasn't initially impressed with what I heard from Metal Orizon, I think if they continue working that angle of infusing traditional influences within their music they will create something truly unique. I also appreciate the socially conscious lyricism.

I was also able to listen to Vale of Amonition's Those of Metal Afar full length recently and when heard in its entirety it is quite the journey. These three guys have crafted a landscape of weird but glorious music that is both gritty and ambitious. And very, very unique too. There's a bit of psychedelia thrown against the Celtic Frost thrash-isms of "Rebirth Through Fire" and the epic drama of "Egypt After The Chasm" calls Fate to mind. Definitely one to watch.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:44 pm 

EpicSceptic wrote:
You don't seem to remember your own posts very well, so maybe this is a bit too much to ask, but would you mind naming some of the South African extreme metal bands from the early 90's

Well well, look what I dug up:

Atropus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:52 pm 

Thanks for this thread..... it's difficult finding decent bands in isolated scenes like this one, because usually the bands that do exist play "safe and accepted" genres of metal such as metalcore/deathcore/melodeath, and the others simply lack originality.....

I'll be checking out some of the more original/creative bands mentioned here though.....

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:52 am 

waiguoren wrote:
Well well, look what I dug up:

Cool

shadowzgoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:47 am 

Not sure if already been mentioned but here are a handful of established, disbanded and upcoming bands (ok some are rock, but let's be honest metal came from rock, blues and classical); who knows maybe a rock band could spark a metal movement in their country?:-

Country = band

Algeria - Lelahell
Angola - Before Crush
Botswana - Crackdust, Wrust
Burundi - Moutcho
Cape Verde - Krad
Egypt - Scarab
Ethiopia - Jano
Gabon - Iron Sliver,
Ghana - Dark Suburb,
Kenya - Absence Of Light
Libya - Terrorism Of Brutality, Tasnim
Madagascar - Behind The Mask
Malawi - Moto Buu, Mafilika
Mali - Songhoy Blues, Tinariwen
Mauritania - Noura Mint Seymali
Mauritius - Feedback, Amakartus
Morocco - Sakadoya, Analgesia
Mozambique - Darkest Place
Namibia - SubmissioN
Reunion Island - Nazca
Rwanda - Beauty For Ashes
South Africa - Wildernessking
Swaziland - Out Cry
Togo - Arka'n
Tunisia - Myrath, Persona
Uganda - Vale Of Amonition
Zambia - Wrecking Tanganyika
Zimbabwe - Dividing The Element

P.s. I have been running my own site - Global Metal Apocalypse - for 6 years now, giving coverage to rock and metal bands worldwide and are always searching for new emerging scenes.

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:23 am 

Had to check out Haggis and Bong from South Africa. Oh yeah!

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:01 pm 

shadowzgoth wrote:
Not sure if already been mentioned but here are a handful of established, disbanded and upcoming bands (ok some are rock...

So how did Tinariwen end up in that list? Did you just pick random bands?

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:15 pm 

desert blues is really great though but it got much more overlap with the psychedelic rock scene than anything else.

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:09 am 

truvelocity wrote:
Other great covers by African metal bands I'd recommend;
Vale Of Amonition's superb reinvention of Mercyful Fate's "Come To The Sabbath"
SuiderbeeS' cover of Bloodbath's "Eaten"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBfoMgllphs
Christ Grinder's cover of Immortal's "Blashyrkh"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkDZB_c6dw
Mauritius band AMAkARtUS' cover of Slayer's "Raining Blood"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OPzpGgKS5s
Dark Philosophy's cover of Darkthrone's "Transilvanian Hunger"
Odious' cover of Cradle Of Filth's "Scorched Earth Erotica"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrPYAIyzIec
Traxxx's cover of Metallica's "Fade To Black"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT95CKBNVYQ

Speaking of Metallica, Botswana's Metal Orizon's song "I Cry" is the purest "Nothing Else Matters" worship I ever heard;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8rgHCGel9w

Scorched Legacy's cover of Sabbath's "Headless Cross" is good too;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kd1rtFxr1Q

All interesting,but where's the Mercyful Fate cover?

shadowzgoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:17 pm 

Latest bands I came across (not on MA):- Iron Sliver from Gabon, Roar of Heroes from Cameroon, Krad from Cape Verde and Arka'n from Togo.

Durag
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:21 pm 

Brilliant thread.

Was just reading about Durma on Bandcamp. What an insane sounding self titled album:

https://nyegenyegetapes.bandcamp.com/album/duma

hells_unicorn
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:41 pm 

Only band from the African continent that I have any experience with is Carthagods out of Tunisia, runs along similar lines to the power/progressive sound of Pagan's Mind with some elements of Orphaned Land's Mid-Eastern folksy affectations. Their second album "The Monster In Me" was rock solid.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ca ... 3540393587

Ominous Glory Facebook

My reviews.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio (July 14, 1942 - May 16, 2010)

Commisaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:36 am 

Wow! I just read this entire thread and I am shocked that no one has mentioned the documentary that came out around 2-3 years ago called Death Metal Angola!

The documentary talks about the metal scene in Angola in general. And to answer some posters’ questions from earlier about civil wars, the bands featured in that documentary are directly musically inspired by their country’s dark war torn past. The documentary talks about metal in general so traditional heavy metal and metalcore is mentioned a lot, but there is one guitarist interviewed in the documentary that is very extreme metal oriented considering his attire (Slayer shirt) and the way he plays guitar ( a lot of fast tremelo picking) and his stated preference for more darker sounding music as opposed to newer metalcore music.

The documentary focuses on how metal music has served as a vehicle for the younger generation to vent their frustration and anguish over their country’s problems (and the various ways the problems have impacted their personal lives) in a nonviolent way.

I highly recommend the documentary to anyone reading this thread or anyone interested in metal from Africa in general. Here is the trailer:

In fact the entire movie has been uploaded to YouTube, but I just decided to just share the trailer.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:00 am 

Commisaur wrote:
Wow! I just read this entire thread and I am shocked that no one has mentioned the documentary that came out around 2-3 years ago called Death Metal Angola!

up till the necro a few posts up, the whole thread was written before that

GoatBoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:39 am 

Really glad this was necroed. There are so many interesting bands in this thread, and I had no idea about that documentary, either. Good thread.

Pichushkin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:53 am 

I am SHOCKED that this thread is 4 pages long and Nishaiar have yet to be mentioned

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QvajclfHu7c

From the ancient city of Gondor, Ethiopia, these guys produce a very ethereal, atmospheric and hypnotizing sound. They are probably as close as you can get to African folk metal. They already have 4 full lengths out plus some EPs. Go check em out. Highly recommended

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:01 am 

I found this and was gonna mention them actually.

Also noteworthy (to me), is Nuclear Winter from Zimbabwe:
https://nuclearwinterzim.bandcamp.com/
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nu ... 3540459791

FLIPPITYFLOOP
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:12 pm 

Admittedly never thought to look to Africa for metal, but glad to see that there's a number of countries there with growing scenes! I'd be all for hearing traditional African folk music combined with extreme metal, especially the percussive elements! That shit's awesome!

Checking out Wildernessking right now and they're pretty cool. Also listened to Demogoroth Satanum and they had some decent moments too. Nothing super groundbreaking, but these bands can always get better!

Nicholarse_Angle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:21 pm 

A few bands:

Blackgaze/Post-Black Metal - South Africa https://constellatia.bandcamp.com/album ... limbs-2020 (members of Crow Black Sky and Wildernessking)
Stoner Doom - South Africa https://ma-atbandza.bandcamp.com/
Stoner Doom - South Africa https://ruffmajik.bandcamp.com/
Stoner Doom - South Africa https://madgodza.bandcamp.com/album/gro ... inexorable
Atmospheric Black - Kenya/Uganda https://naturmachtproductions.bandcamp. ... in-despair

SA and African metal radio/band listings https://heavyhops.co.za/listings/

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:46 am 

Warty_basaloid wrote:

Haggis and Bong? Sound like my plans for Burn's Night. I dig the sound and I honestly believe bagpipes are pretty underrated, especially in metal.

Kennermahn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:06 pm 

shadowzgoth wrote:
Botswana - Crackdust, Wrust

Both bands are pretty cool.

shadowzgoth wrote:
Kenya - Absence Of Light

This is my favourite song by a Kenyan band (and African for that matter):

It's one of my top five instrumentals.

You can purchase it here:
https://mortalsoul.bandcamp.com/track/solace

Speed Metal Terror
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:34 pm 

Crackdust are pretty cool. It's a shame we didn't get more music out of them.

shadowzgoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:08 pm 

I found Arka'n from Togo, Roar of Heroes from Cameroon - both not on MA as 'not metal' (I'd contest that any day but hey ho).

Blessings from Malawi was just added to MA - great friend.

Shine from Mali aren't bad

shadowzgoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:11 pm 

Lord_Malice wrote:
OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
Anyone ever heard of any bands from Sierra leone or Liberia? After those brutal civil wars they both had, you'd think a couple really promising metal bands might arise from all the atrocities that took place over there.

There aren't any bands from those particular countries but seeing as Rwanda, Somalia, Democratic Republic Of Congo, Libya, Angola, Equatorial Guinea have all had brutal civil wars, the point can be made that all those places could breed promising metal :rolleyes:

They have their own traditional music where they sing to death about said atrocities and metal is hardly the kind of music they'd think of when it came to expressing their darker feelings...gee, I wonder why?

I'm sorry I don't mean to take on a sarcastic tone seeing as I'm the one who made the thread but it really is rather silly when people assume that when Africa makes metal they will delve into the wars and strife so commonly associated with the continent. Look up any of the aforementioned bands. Hardly any of them covers the atrocities we have perceived.

But I think it would be wonderful if we had more folk metal bands. Africa has a diversity of folk music that I think would work well in a metal setting.

Libya - Tasnim, Jonathan Steel
Angola - Before Crush and there is a documentary on the Angolan Metal scene 'Death Metal Angola'.

Not strictly folk metal but Arka'n from Togo really include West African folk / myth into their music and imagery.

shadowzgoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:13 pm 

Opus wrote:
shadowzgoth wrote:
Not sure if already been mentioned but here are a handful of established, disbanded and upcoming bands (ok some are rock...

So how did Tinariwen end up in that list? Did you just pick random bands?

Nope, just a casual google and voila.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:16 pm 

Zombies Ate My Girlfriend is the only African metal band I can think of off the top of my head. They do a weird, zany take on metalcore that's pretty unique. Their last album, Shun the Reptile, is quite good.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:08 am 

MRmehman wrote:
Warty_basaloid wrote:

Haggis and Bong? Sound like my plans for Burn's Night. I dig the sound and I honestly believe bagpipes are pretty underrated, especially in metal.

That was... unexpectedly awesome.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:52 pm 

The South African scene is weird. Lots of quirky, oddball bands that also seem to focus on black comedy and South African humor as a lyrical theme and presentation style - even Vulvodynia (by far the biggest metal export from the entire continent, and they share a member with Haggis and Bong) definitely has a uniquely ZA presentation to their style beneath the meme humor of their early days and their current social media presence. They're also something of an outlier in their own country, since outside of Duncan, Luke, and their buddies and associates, there really wasn't much of an extreme metal presence before they came along and bands of that type from that part of Africa typically came from Botswana or Mozambique.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:13 pm 

Not Subsaharan but Defacement from the Netherlands was founded by 2 Libyan refugees.
https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.co ... defacement

Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:02 am 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
I'm just saying metal and war atrocities kinda go hand-in-hand. if you've heard of bands like Slayer, Malevolent Creation, Dying Fetus, Misery Index, Hail of Bullets, god Dethroned, etc, they all have alot of lyrics based around warfare. Just because it happened in their own backyard doesn't mean they shouldn't write lyrics about it. If it helps raise awareness of some horrible events that most of the world doesn't even know about then whats so taboo about it?

If one person lived their whole life under the threat of war, death and violence, I doubt if that would be the themes that would accompany one's musical expression. They were likely traumatized by the whole ordeal that reliving it thru their music is the last thing on their minds. They would write songs about love, peace and happiness because that's what they are yearning for. I noticed that most bands whose themes are about war come from rich, peaceful countries. It probably works the other way too when people from peaceful companies have this fantasy of killing and living in a war zone.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:05 am 

Pichushkin wrote:
I am SHOCKED that this thread is 4 pages long and Nishaiar have yet to be mentioned

From the ancient city of Gondor, Ethiopia, these guys produce a very ethereal, atmospheric and hypnotizing sound. They are probably as close as you can get to African folk metal. They already have 4 full lengths out plus some EPs. Go check em out. Highly recommended

There's a Gondor in Ethiopia?!? That's metal as fuck. I dig the music too.

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:23 am 

Pichushkin wrote:

This is some fantastic music. Thanks so much for this recommendation!
It's sort of a head on collision between ritual tribal ambient and atmospheric black metal. Wonderful stuff. I'm listening now and their latest album is a particularly well realised version of the sound.

https://nishaiar.bandcamp.com/album/nahaxar

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next