Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mistereyedee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:40 pm 

What's your favorite metal genre, and why? Here are some thoughts on a few known genres in metal:

Heavy Metal
My absolute favorite of them all, bar none. This is where all these subgenres came from (especially with the NWOBHM scene). You got bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Black Sabbath defining the core sound of what metal is today.

Doom Metal
Great genre, but I am mostly into Candlemass, Saint Vitus and Witchfinder General. I prefer traditional doom.

Speed Metal
This is the sexed-up form of heavy metal (or pre-thrash if you want). I enjoy bands like Raven, Agent Steel, and Warrant. My second favorite.

Thrash Metal
My third favorite genre. Annihilator, Sacred Reich, Overkill, Dark Angel, Vio-lence, Forbidden, and so many other great ones. I love the drumming especially on most of these bands. Crossover bands like S.O.D. are fun as well.

Power Metal
I love Riot and early Helloween, but I can't say I am much a fan of most power metal after the '80s (especially the flowery kind).

Progressive Metal
I've been getting into this genre quite a lot lately. Older material from bands like Queensrÿche and Fates Warning are a charm, but I also enjoy other bands like Sacred Oath, Powersurge, Threshold (both US and UK), and False Witness.

Black Metal
Not really into black metal aside from Venom, Sarcofago, Celtic Frost, and early Sodom. I don't care much for the second wave and beyond.

Death Metal
Old school death metal only. Most brutal death metal bands are nothing special to me. I listen to bands like Death, Atheist, Pestilence, Obituary, Malevolent Creation, early Cannibal Corpse, Possessed, and so forth.

Sludge Metal
Can't say I'm really a fan. I dislike popular bands like Down, Eyehategod, and Crowbar.

Folk Metal
I don't listen to any folk. I personally don't care for folk metal likewise.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:47 pm 

I told to stop doing inane, generic and overdone threads, right? If not, well stop.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.