Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:01 pm 

I'm expecting Tateryche to release a new song soon.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:13 pm 

Yeah, that chorus was lying about in the dumpster Californication-era Red Hot Chili Peppers left it in, and it felt more at home there.

This is not bad, certainly nowhere near cringe-worthy in Tate's "QR" way, and this does mark a return to metal, I can't deny that. But it's still VERY far from what I had hoped based on their professed obsession with going back to the spirit of the classic and even the great (early) era of the band. Groove 90s-MTV style + outright glam sappy pop + some power/prog tendencies briefly showcased in the few sections they felt necessary to just barely get the metal ISO certification... We're pretty fucking far from "Queen of the Reich", guys. If it's a return to 'Empire' fans are supposed to settle for, then cool story, bros. I mean, yeah, it beats the hell out of the cabaret bullshit, but it doesn't magically and automatically make it worth my while. When you've reached such depths of shittiness that a 200% increase in quality doesn't quite help you reach the "decent" mark, aim for a 1,000% increase.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:29 pm 

juicebitch wrote:
Not bad. Nice production too.

Really? It's almost as bad as Death Magnetic. It isn't bad with the chugging, but everything else turns into a giant audio blob.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:43 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
juicebitch wrote:

Really? It's almost as bad as Death Magnetic. It isn't bad with the chugging, but everything else turns into a giant audio blob.

I thought it sounded compressed too, but I'm crossing my fingers that it's just due to the song not being fully mastered and/or YouTube's compression.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:03 am 

"Redemption" wasn't that bad, I could probably enjoy an album like this, but it wasn't really anything amazing either. Sounded absolutely zilch-all like Queensryche as well, aside from the very slight vocal infliction when the chorus starts. Pretty generic sounding 2000s power metal with above average vocals. If the other songs have more of the QR magic - i.e. pop hooks made metal by how damn awesome the wailing was, and riffing that was shiny and commercial while still going straight for the throat, along with stunning ballads...then I would be very very surprised. This isn't too terrible but they've got a long way to go.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:24 am 

I guess Queensryche have released shit for so long that anything not spectacularly bad is above my expectations.

It's pretty decent all things considered. I hope there are better tracks, though.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:44 am 

Song was ok. Wasn't expecting anything mindblowing thankfully, and this is without a doubt better than when Tate started running everything. Todd's hooks are very good when the chorus comes in, but I can't help but believe he belted it through a machine to tune it properly. I dunno. I do think it's fine, but they need something more solid as their core tracks.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Veracs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:00 am 

I liked it De La torre as of now has proven he is a superior vocalist to Geoff Tate in every respect, and while I dislike the kind of dry production I'm sure there are better songs on the album. The Maiden melodies made the song a bit better than the actual riffs themselves, and overall its a lot better than what Geoff is doing by light years.

Thing is, Suicide Silence actually are more sonically massive than a good 95% of all the death metal bands in the Archives! Not metal, sure, but definitely a lot more brutal.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Manowar aren't the Kings of Metal. They're pretenders to a throne that doesn't exist.!

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:28 am 

I liked the song. Not the best they've done, but better than the shit they've been doing the past 20 years. That alone would make me want to buy the album.
Maybe they'll get the ball rolling and perhaps release a song superior to this one next. Time will tell.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

TheUglySoldier
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:00 am 

Redemption ain't bad. I get a kind of Here In The Now Frontier vibe from the chorus. I could dig a full album of this.

Absolute Power: heavy metal and pop culture news, analysis and commentary

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:05 am 

fuck, we're no longer merely accepting mediocrity from old bands - now we're celebrating it.

low bar is low.

SolstafirAquilaria
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 am 

The song really has nothing going for it in my eyes beyond the vocals, which are good as expected. Not that I'm really surprised that it's not like, say, the EP or The Warning, but ugh, not really very good at all. Especially when I listened to it after the new Satan track - what a goddamn difference that is between new material from two old bands, hahaha...

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:57 am 

TheUglySoldier wrote:
Redemption ain't bad. I get a kind of Here In The Now Frontier vibe from the chorus. I could dig a full album of this.

PLEASE OH PLEASE LET THE ALBUM SOUND NOTHING LIKE HEAR IN THE NOW FRONTIER!!!!!!!!!!!

"Redemption" hopefully will just be one of those mid album rockers that you abide so you can move on to the good stuff thereafter.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:09 am 

@All you guys hoping for better songs on the actual album:

If they did have good or even great songs handy, right now, why would they release this almost decent filler as the first promo track, exactly?

Don't get your hopes up. And if you do anyway, watch out for mine, they're descending right at you.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:33 pm 

ENKC wrote:
I love this song. Can't get over how much like Queensryche it sounds, and yet how far from anything in recent years. If you'd somehow been under a rock for all this time, you might think "Holy crap, Geoff has his voice back!".

I don't really see this. They don't sound much alike.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:09 pm 

LegendMaker wrote:

If they did have good or even great songs handy, right now, why would they release this almost decent filler as the first promo track, exactly?

This is a good point but metal is a strange genre that is tough to market and it's hard to predict what will appeal or not. Tons of bands release weird singles or throw a last minute track on an album that ends up being a classic favorite. This one always comes to mind when I need to drive that point home:

Geezer Butler wrote:

A lot of the "Paranoid" album was written around the time of our first album,"Black Sabbath". We recorded the whole thing in about 2 or 3 days, live in the studio. The song "Paranoid" was written as an afterthought. We basically needed a 3 minute filler for the album, and Tony came up with the riff. I quickly did the lyrics, and Ozzy was reading them as he was singing.[3]

PraiseTheLard
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:23 pm 

Yeah as a big qr fan myself the clips from both versions of the band have been immensely disappointing. Geoffs voice is shot and it sounded like they recorded his Qr tracks inside a tin can. Its like hes not even trying anymore in the slightest. I enjoyed Om2 and american soldier as well and its shocking how quickly his talent has taken a gigantic nose dive

The La torre Qr clip also sounds awful. The intro riff reminded me of the horror that was St anger and Todds voice seems to shift inbetween a medicore Bruce Dickinson impersonation and the current hoarse voiced Tate on a good day. His struggling to hit the high notes in that song alone made me wonder why they thought it was a good idea to think he could handle the early QR material when they preform live.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:37 am 

Riffs wrote:
LegendMaker wrote:

This is a good point but metal is a strange genre that is tough to market and it's hard to predict what will appeal or not. Tons of bands release weird singles or throw a last minute track on an album that ends up being a classic favorite. This one always comes to mind when I need to drive that point home:

Thank you for that Riffs!
I love LegendMaker but sometimes he is the fucking black cloud on every silver lining.

I am sure there will better songs on the record. It still a matter of wait and see. You've got Todd who is better singer than Tate will ever be and you've got a band of guys who've been throbbing and aching to play metal for years now. Let's wait and see!

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:50 am 

They're taking baby steps, folks. Baby steps... that's all.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:11 am 

The song is not the best but it is hardly disappointing.
There's hope yet so I'm relaxed. Heck, there might reside on the album an epic that will make "Suite Sister Mary" get on her knees.

~Guest 282118
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:47 am 

The new song sounds..... Neutered, to be completely honest. Sure, I wasn't expecting some USPM beast, but this is extremely underwhelming. So much for the hype :thumbsdown:

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:44 pm 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:

I love LegendMaker but sometimes he is the fucking black cloud on every silver lining.

I am sure there will better songs on the record. It still a matter of wait and see. You've got Todd who is better singer than Tate will ever be and you've got a band of guys who've been throbbing and aching to play metal for years now. Let's wait and see!

Quote:
Speaking to Rocket Sports & Entertainment, La Torre stated about the musical direction of QUEENSRŸCHE's new album: "There's something that you'd say, 'Hey, that sounds like it could have been off 'Rage For Order'," or 'This sounds kind of like 'Mindcrime'-ish,' or "This could be an 'Empire' thing,' but with a new flavor on it. There's some new sounds… All of this is a very wonderful, natural, quality piece of music and all of us feel that way. Are we gonna say it's a balls-to-the-wall heavy album? No. It's a hard rock record with some metal elements to it. But I would never want to say that it's a heavy metal record because I don't want to box in QUEENSRŸCHE. I don't want to box our sound in. If we want to use strings and be orchestrated, we can do that. If I want to scream 'till I'm blue in the face, you know, we can do that. If Michael wants to play something really shreddin or soft and pretty, we want to have all of those avenues to go down without boxing us into a genre or niche. Overall, I think it's a strong record. It's very true and authentic to us. And we hope that that translates musically to the fans. And everyone here thinks differently. But, overall, I think that people are really gonna like it, and I think it's a huge deviation from the last couple records. It was only the band writing. There's no outside influence."

Also, people really need to seek out Wilton's side stuff. His idea of metal seems to be slightly heavier post-grunge. It's not like he hasn't been releasing music at all. Hell, some of the songs from D2C came from the bassist and drummer's side project.

Riffs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:00 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:

Quote:
Speaking to Rocket Sports & Entertainment, La Torre stated about the musical direction of QUEENSRŸCHE's new album: "There's something that you'd say, 'Hey, that sounds like it could have been off 'Rage For Order'," or 'This sounds kind of like 'Mindcrime'-ish,' or "This could be an 'Empire' thing,' but with a new flavor on it. There's some new sounds… All of this is a very wonderful, natural, quality piece of music and all of us feel that way. Are we gonna say it's a balls-to-the-wall heavy album? No. It's a hard rock record with some metal elements to it. But I would never want to say that it's a heavy metal record because I don't want to box in QUEENSRŸCHE. I don't want to box our sound in. If we want to use strings and be orchestrated, we can do that. If I want to scream 'till I'm blue in the face, you know, we can do that. If Michael wants to play something really shreddin or soft and pretty, we want to have all of those avenues to go down without boxing us into a genre or niche. Overall, I think it's a strong record. It's very true and authentic to us. And we hope that that translates musically to the fans. And everyone here thinks differently. But, overall, I think that people are really gonna like it, and I think it's a huge deviation from the last couple records. It was only the band writing. There's no outside influence."

Also, people really need to seek out Wilton's side stuff. His idea of metal seems to be slightly heavier post-grunge. It's not like he hasn't been releasing music at all. Hell, some of the songs from D2C came from the bassist and drummer's side project.

Thanks, WS. I hadn't seen that.

I don't trust bands who claim they don't want to be "boxed in" because it often means they've become creatively bankrupt pussies who don't have the fire to create genuine metal anymore but are very happy to use a brand name to lure past fans in.

I'll still wait for more songs but my expectations remain low.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:26 pm 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:

Love you too, VSH. :D And you're not wrong, although it's a side effect of the way I am. I say it how I see it; not my fault if so many bands excel at disappointing me.

@Riffs: Sure, that's a good point in many cases. The ability to make great stuff and the ability to acknowledge it as such aren't always aligned, and I'll be the first to agree that many bands reluctantly released some of their all-time best material as Japanese or otherwise shady bonus tracks, while at the same time boring tasteful people to tears with filler material they thought was A-grade.

Having said that...

Todd La Torre, cited by WaywardSon, wrote:
Are we gonna say it's a balls-to-the-wall heavy album? No. It's a hard rock record with some metal elements to it. But I would never want to say that it's a heavy metal record because I don't want to box in QUEENSRŸCHE.

This is not a good sign, and I'm understating it so as to avoid pooping too hard on the party (wink ;)). What I'm getting from this is that not only is the promo track we've heard barely metal, it might very well be one of the "metal" tracks of the album. Especially since it was followed by more detailed and more embarrassing statements surely destined to show how awesome and open-minded and all-encompassing the new QR will be... but which only managed to show just how shockingly disconnected from heavy music in general, and metal and hard rock in particular, La Torre appears to be.

WaywardSon wrote:

Yop. Someone linked to a Wilton/Rockenfield solo project Soundcloud or whatevernot in this very thread, if memory serves, and none of it was very encouraging at all, at least for those who, like me, had been expecting that after all this touring primarily based on early QR, the boys wanted to do something along those lines.

Riffs wrote:
I'll still wait for more songs but my expectations remain low.

Once more, you summed it up nicely, dude. :)

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:08 pm 

And now the London date has been postponed from Mid-April to October...apparently because of some contractual obligations to Century Media which Queensryche weren't aware of agggggggggggh

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:07 am 

WaywardSon wrote:
juicebitch wrote:

2003 called, they want their digital noise blaster guitar tone back.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:11 am 

That chorus really is catchy...I kinda like it, even though the instrumentals are pretty weak and the production is crap...

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:16 am 

It reminds me of that "Meet Your Maker" song from Sacred Oath's latest album, which is cut from a similar "modern hard rock with a dash of what we used to do" vibe that put me off listening to anything else from the album. Although at least Todd LaTorre actually sounds decent (if hamstrung by vocal effects) while Rob Thorne sounds like James LaBrie with a cold.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:22 am 

Sooo....first song released off the Geoff Tate's Queensryche album...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... zDJHuxBTUw

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:27 am 

Kill me, that was so fucking bad.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:30 am 

Meh, generic rock song with poor riffs, poor, digital production, and obviously effected vocals. Sure, it's not as offensive as some of the shit they've put out, but this is just...there.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:04 am 

It's funny how similar in quality and style this Geoff Tate song and the one by the other members is. Why did they even split up, really, if they're writing such similar music anyway?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:15 am 

Except they aren't. At the very least the La Torre one isn't shit-tacular like the Tate one is.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:19 am 

They're both about the same really. 2-3 star-level bland rock music with slightly better vocals in La Torre's case and better production in Tate's case. The only reason the Tate one is worse is because his voice is so shot compared to how he was in the 80s. If you didn't know what he used to sound like, both of these new songs would sound about the same quality-wise.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:23 am 

Oh my God, that was actually listenable. Still not good, but I didn't want to rip my ears off, either.

DeathBySuicide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:44 am 

Empyreal wrote:
It's funny how similar in quality and style this Geoff Tate song and the one by the other members is. Why did they even split up, really, if they're writing such similar music anyway?

Because to not split up would have meant dying a miserable death under the hands of a washed up, bitter tyrant.

But I take your point, this is not really bad but far from good too, as was "Redemption".

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:41 pm 

Quite decent. The verses remind me fairly strongly of a Redemption song, probably 'Man of Glass.' This album sounds more interesting.

Quote:

Tate's seems more similar to the second half of 'Kings and Thieves,' while the La Torre QR's is more of a weak O:M knockoff.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:18 pm 

I hate that I don't hate this. It's not that bad though Redemption sounded a lot more exciting and more like the actual Queensryche.

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:17 pm 

Look: an elephant!!! :o

The track released under "Tate's QueensRÿche" is significantly better, more QR-sounding and more complete than the one released by "QueensRÿche". As much as I'm siding with the good guys rather than the tyrannic douchebag in their conflict, there's no point denying that. I'm none of those guys' mother to pretend otherwise. Some rationalization? Sure, I'm happy to provide that. While the La Torre fronted outfit includes no member sufficiently competent, talented or interesting as a songwriter to support a band's need for substantial new material, especially not on short notice or under pressure, Tate has nothing but hired guns around him, including a host of professional songwriters who can deliver something at least professional sounding, if not of any real value. So I guess he has that going for him.

And with that out of my chest, let it be noted that both of those songs fall extremely short of being worth my time, or anywhere near the style and quality of the few very old releases with the QueensRÿche name on them that I actually enjoy.

Bring DeGarmo and/or the early style back or stop wasting my fucking time, fools. I still wish you the "best" and very much hope Tate loses the legal battle, but no satisfactory result will come from any of this, at least by my standards, that's now very clear.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:20 pm 

The tateryche track sounds terrible. Even creed sounds heavy as fuck compared to it.

Redemption was way better but far from goodness. Its like metallica's death lagnetic, it's like a back on track feeling but still mediocre as fuck. Todd sounds good - if a bit processed - but that's it.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next