Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:06 am 

So... they're dropping the whole 'Rising West' deal and just calling themselves Queensryche now? I wonder if there'll be a legal battle over the rights, ala Gorgoroth and Saxon.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

iriki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:52 am 

Veracs wrote:
ANationalAcrobat wrote:
So, Tate's apparently tried to attack the other members of Queensryche with a knife after they were planning to get rid of him. Looks like the band's on its very last legs, which pleases me because they can finally stop sullying the name of the 'ryche with such shitty, shitty music.

Source?

Operation Knifecrime:

https://www.google.com.br/#hl=pt-BR&scl ... 80&bih=904

Most of the sources is in portuguese, that event occurred in Brazil.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:19 pm 

---

Last edited by WaywardSon on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:50 pm 

A band that used to be good a long, long time ago soldiers on and strongly implies a "back to the roots" plan, now without either of the two mainmen from their classic years, but with a strong emphasis on the material and style from said bygone era. So cool.

And obviously there's going to be some legal bullshit drama. The situation practically went from (tending towards) "the other members quit and Tate's solo lineup replaces them" to "Tate is out and the band replaces him" in a matter of weeks. Besides, the message they sent so far (name change aside) seems crystal clear: they're finally jumping on (whatever's left of) the "famous, once metal band long since gone mainsteam and crappy goes back to the roots! Quick! To the PayPal accounts!" bandwagon. They're going to go through a long-ass world tour -> double live DVD with extras -> crappy parody of "their" past glories with mainstream-ish enough icing wannabe comeback/revival album phase, that's all (pending any career-crippling legal battle, of course). What else do you guys expect?

Oh, by the way. Count me in the ___ (can't remember if you said edgy or hype or whatever) camp as well. The debut EP, and much more specifically "Queen of the Reich" itself beats anything after it to my tastes, including 'The Warning', sorry. It's an interesting album to an extent, but rather boring overall, and already well on its way to the sappy, pretentious style they finally achieved on OMC, and which I really dislike and even find laughable.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:07 pm 

I wish we were still in the 80's too, LegendMaker :p. That said, I don't think there's anyone that disagrees that whatever they release will probably be a revolution in lameness, sucking more than we as a race ever thought possible.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:55 pm 

Check out a couple of live clips with Todd on vocals.

Queen of the Reich

Warning

He sounds great as expected.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:11 pm 

I_Am_Vengeance wrote:
Check out a couple of live clips with Todd on vocals.

Queen of the Reich

Warning

He sounds great as expected.

That's pretty badass. If that's what he normally sounds like, then we won't be missing Tate at all!

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:46 am 

ENKC wrote:
So... they're dropping the whole 'Rising West' deal and just calling themselves Queensryche now? I wonder if there'll be a legal battle over the rights, ala Gorgoroth and Saxon.

Interesting situation. I would think that they'd have worked this out before making any announcement, but I looked at the Queensryche facebook page yesterday and there was no mention of anything. In fact, most of what was posted on there was regarding Tate's solo stuff. It's possible that Tate thinks enough of the marketability of his name and solo career that he might have taken a buyout from the other members, perhaps thinking (with some merit, probably) that many fans will not accept a Tate-less Queensryche. I don't think there has been any word from his camp on all this. I'll be interested in seeing what they say.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:00 am 

TadGhostal wrote:
...perhaps thinking (with some merit, probably) that many fans will not accept a Tate-less Queensryche.

Which is kind of funny because, at this point, I'd be willing to accept a Will Hung Queensryche.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:12 pm 

I don't think he sounds that good, just adequate. Then again, Queen of the Reich is pretty hard to sing with as much power as Tate did back in the day.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Third_of_the_Storms
Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:43 pm 

I made it about a minute and twenty seconds into Queen of the Reich. Too many flat notes. I saw Queensryche open for Judas Priest in 2005 (JP, incidentally, were boring as fuck) and Geoff was spot on. They played nothing but songs from the ep and first two albums (aside from The Needle Lies which was awesome as well), even Surgical Strike which blew my mind. One of the greatest shows I've seen.

That being said, they opened for Heaven and Hell in 2009 and were utterly awful. Geoff came out with a saxophone and they opened with their cover of "Welcome to the Machine". Needless to say, I was not amused.

OnwardToGolgotha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:34 pm 

Queensryche have been shit for years, the only thing kicking out Tate will accomplish is getting rid of the cabaret show retardation and protecting the various band members from stabbings.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:49 pm 

Geoff Tate speaks!

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... l-20120626

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:02 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:

Douchery at it's finest. He was putting the ideas for those first albums on the table? I don't fucking think so. I'm pretty certain Chris was doing most of the heavy lifting then.

Here comes the legal drama.

theoctavarius
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:23 pm 

*window rolls down*

"Kill him. That's all you have to do."

"Kill Geoff?"

"He's a douche. And get the cabaret as well."
Was du geschlagen
zu Gott wird es dich tragen!

-Gustav Mahler

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:25 pm 

theoctavarius wrote:
*window rolls down*

"Kill Geoff?"

YES. THE EPITOME OF WIN.

Third_of_the_Storms
Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:26 pm 

theoctavarius wrote:
*window rolls down*

"Kill Geoff?"

I don't necessarily agree, but that is hilarious. :lol: Excellent work.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:25 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:

What a complete and utter dickwad.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:09 pm 

A lot of what Geoff said sounds pretty reasonable, although the whole "It's my job to tell the crowd they suck because they weren't enjoying our show" thing was way off the mark. Still and all, I bet if the other guys get around to interviews like this (which they might avoid for legal reasons), they'll make their position sound very reasonable too. So, we're down to he said/she said like I expected.
Gif logos are a rare and special thing. They should be reserved only for truly exceptional and rare and special and important bands, bands like Blind Guardian and... Blind Guardian. This should be in the rules.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:44 pm 

It's reasonable to say "...the other guys...just sort of show up and play shows and collect a paycheck?" I can buy that Geoff Tate has been the primary songwriter for the past twenty years of the bands' history, but that's probably precisely why they wanted to get rid of him. I do not buy the whole "I wrote all of the bands' classic material and they just went along with my genius" bullshit. The writing credits on those albums certainly don't bear that out, at any rate.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
I do not buy the whole "I wrote all of the bands' classic material and they just went along with my genius" bullshit.

With DeGarmo:
The EP
The Warning
Rage for Order
Operation: Mindcrime
Empire
Promised Land
Hear in the Now Frontier
Tribe
Average M-A Rating: 83%

Without DeGarmo:
Q2K
Operation: Mindcrime II
American Soldier
Dedicated to Chaos
Average M-A Rating: 36.25%

Gee, I wonder who was doing all the work.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:03 pm 

Going through the song-by-song credits of every Queensryche CD that has them, it's safe to say that Tate is (at the very, very least) giving his contributions some very generous garnish when he says that he's basically responsible for everything, writing-wise.

Considering that on all the albums that have track-by-track credits (as in, every one of them except Q2K and O:MII, unless I'm missing something, in which case please correct me; if I'm going to rip into a performer, I want to have my facts straight), Tate doesn't have one single song that he wrote solo.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:42 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Oblarg wrote:
I do not buy the whole "I wrote all of the bands' classic material and they just went along with my genius" bullshit.

With DeGarmo:
The EP
The Warning
Rage for Order
Empire
Promised Land
Hear in the Now Frontier
Tribe

Without DeGarmo:
Q2K
American Soldier
Dedicated to Chaos

Haha, someone should send this and other averaged reviews to Geoff.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

vashts80
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:24 am 

Tate doesn't write music. He writes lyrics. He's not even on the credits for every single Queensryche song, look it up on BMI. It sounds like a bunch of shit a press secretary wrote for him.

OMII was mostly writen by Jason Slater and Mike Stone musically. Slater states that there was only fractions contributed by the band members besides Tate.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:26 am 

Do you guys remember when Mike Portnoy said of Tate;
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... emID=50491

Dandelo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:27 pm 

Metal_Detector wrote:
theoctavarius wrote:
*window rolls down*

"Kill Geoff?"

YES. THE EPITOME OF WIN.

Post of the thread. I laughed.

truvelocity
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:23 am 

:lol:

Illuminati322
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:30 am 

During my power metal phase I used to lump Queensryche and Crimson Glory together, always feeling the latter had been jipped due to their lack of comemrcial success, especially compared to their aforementioned peers. So this to me comes as an intriguing irony, despite the new vocalist's having been absent during their salad days.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:59 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?m ... mID=176573

We've finally got a statement from one of the actual band members with some specific dates and details. I was willing to give Tate the benefit of the doubt with his side of the story, but Rockenfield's testimony does a pretty good job of securing Tate's douchebaggery in my eyes.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 pm 

Tate can right go fuck himself.

DarthVenom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:23 pm 

Quote:
Geoff Tate's claim that I said to him, 'I've fired your family and now I'm going to fire you' is a complete lie and many witnesses support this.

I had a feeling this would turn out to be a lie. Not because of some predisposition to go against Tate, but just because it's not something a human being would say, so much as a Saturday morning cartoon villain. I'm mildly surprised Tate didn't then go on to say how Scott then twirled his newly-grown handlebar mustache before tying his wife to the nearest set of train tracks.

Anyway, it sounds from Scott's testimony that Tate was pretty much a danger to the whole band, legally, financially and physically.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:25 pm 

2 things:

1. Tate seems to spit a lot.
2. He's apparently an unstoppable killing machine. Seriously, three guys couldn't just fuck him up? I understand the need to keep order, but if he's making such a fuss and willing to endanger the show by attacking the other band members, clock him back.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:32 pm 

WaywardSon wrote:
Seriously, three guys couldn't just fuck him up? I understand the need to keep order, but if he's making such a fuss and willing to endanger the show by attacking the other band members, clock him back.
That seems like a fast and easy way to get yourself kicked out of the band, when it's been taken over by Tate and his wife. It sounds like Tate was trying to provoke a reaction out of the other guys to get them to leave or to swing back so he could file action against them. Frankly, it sounds like they did it the legally "correct" way.

Of course, that's assuming Rockenfield's testimony is accurate here. Not that I'm siding with Tate or anything (hell no!), but Rockenfield's account sounds like a guy trying to paint himself as a victim. There's very little said about what the other guys did in return to Tate, and he goes into super detailed, almost clinical description of the ways in which Tate physically attacked them. I understand persuasion is the goal, but I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if a few parts are a little embellished.

If so, that could end up biting them in their collective ass if/when this goes to court. If it's shown that you're not telling the whole truth in one part of the testimony, the rest of it - no matter how true - falls right apart.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:33 pm 

The truth likely lies somewhere between the two accounts, but my impression is that it's probably much closer to Rockenfield's statement than Tate's.

ENKC
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:53 am 

It seems like it would take a lot more than embarrassment about not being able to hit the notes to show such disregard for the band's acclaimed early work. They're painting a picture of Geoff as a complete nutjob; he's painting them as ungrateful gold diggers. Once again I'm not taking any of it as gospel.

juicebitch
Juice Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:58 am 

Geoff Tate hates metal and metal fans.

Full album for streaming/download: http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.facebook.com/HalberdDoom

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:59 am 

Geoff Tate: school bully.

WaywardSon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:48 am 

Ribos wrote:
WaywardSon wrote:
Seriously, three guys couldn't just fuck him up? I understand the need to keep order, but if he's making such a fuss and willing to endanger the show by attacking the other band members, clock him back.
That seems like a fast and easy way to get yourself kicked out of the band, when it's been taken over by Tate and his wife. It sounds like Tate was trying to provoke a reaction out of the other guys to get them to leave or to swing back so he could file action against them. Frankly, it sounds like they did it the legally "correct" way.

I think his wife had been by that point, hence Tate's aggressiveness. Anyway, if you need to kill some time, here's the declarations from the hearing.

http://www.anybodylistening.net/breakdo ... pic=2906.0

RacoCooper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:20 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Oblarg wrote:

With DeGarmo:
The EP
The Warning
Rage for Order
Empire
Promised Land
Hear in the Now Frontier
Tribe

Without DeGarmo:
Q2K
American Soldier
Dedicated to Chaos

Precisely. I really hope DeGarmo rejoins the band. If you read the court document Michael Wilton filed, he said that the main reason DeGarmo quit the band was because Tate would block his creative contributions. Now that Tate's gone, I see no reason that DeGarmo can't come back unless he, you know, just doesn't want to for some other reason. If he does come back, I say keep Parker Lundgren so they can have a three-guitarist attack like Iron Maiden.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:28 pm 

After hearing Tate's statement about how unreasonable the band were being in moving their merchandising to an outside company that takes money away from them, Michael Wilton's statement makes perfect sense:

"At this point in the meeting, we agreed we needed to let go of our fan club and merchandise office staff which included Miranda Tate and Susan Tate as they would no longer be needed. We also agreed that the house rental and day-to-day operating expenses would need to stopped and prepared for the move to TinMan. "

Seems perfectly reasonable.

I am interested to see how Geoff Tate's songwriting percentage breakdown reflects the music, since he seems to be considering the lyrics to be 50% of the song, which might be how royalties are split up for them, or in his eyes, though I believe music, lyrics, and performance at all handled differently when it comes to royalties. Parker Lundgren's declaration addresses this, though he's a newcomer to the band.

"While Geoff Tate is the primary lyricist in the band, he has never written the music for a song in Queensryche."

That makes sense of the discrepancy in claims. There's a big difference between writing the majority of the songs, and contributing lyrics towards the majority of the songs. The statements from the non-Tate side seem to be a lot more sensible, rather than things like the merch argument from Tate. *edit* Wilton's statement confirms that Tate only wrote lyrics, so he gives himself 50% credit on his chart for songs where he wrote only the lyrics.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next